TFTD - November 2016

Resource Manager

26 November 2016

"Reflections, whether physical or mental, imply an actuality. When a man sees a reflection of himself in a mirror, it is because he himself is before it. If he reflects mentally it is on some problem, or some memory that recalls a past experience. The problem must be a real one, and the event must really have happened. It follows therefore that any subjects that may be referred to in these Reflections must have a reality. The reality may be intangible, but it must be real. The greatest actuality is God, of Whom are all things ... truth, purity, things of good report, virtue and praise (Philippians 4:8)."

- W.H. Boulton

Reflections (1956)

27 November 2016

"Prayer that does not represent our real desire is too weak to achieve anything. But our aim should be to make God an actual partner in our moral struggle, for “with God all things are possible” (Matthew 19:26). No doubt we have often asked ourselves, Is it really possible for God, so great and so remote as He seems, to bother about me? Is it really conceivable that He hears my prayers? We are assured by the Bible that it is so, that God, great though He is, does hear us, and move toward us, as we move toward Him; for James says, “Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you” (James 4:8)."

- B.C. Perryman

Words Spoken at a New Birth (1969)

29 November 2016

"In spite of the fact that we say that God is everywhere, it is curious how difficult we may find it to think of Him as in some way present in our individual, personal, lives. We may not understand how this is possible, but we ought not to be under the illusion that He does not know our origin or the manner of our lives: "My substance was not hid from you, when I was made in secret, and curiously worked in the lowest parts of the earth. Your eyes did see my substance, yet being imperfect; and in your book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them." (Psalm 139:15-16)."

- John Marshall 

Honest With God (1964)

30 November 2016

"... The disciple realizes that his possessions are not his, but his heavenly Father’s. He is but a steward, and if he values his stewardship aright, will employ wisely all that God has entrusted to him. To hoard riches, and simply throw a few crumbs from his table, is to serve mammon."

- Harry Sheppard

The Moral Teaching of Jesus (1960)