TFTBR - November 2016

Resource Manager

26 November 2016

Esther 1

Amos 6

2 Timothy 3; 4  

"YOU ... HAVE FOLLOWED MY ..."

Today we read the conclusion of Paul’s final letter, his second letter to Timothy. A couple of verses especially caught our eyes: these listed 8 things which describe the way in which Paul had set an example to Timothy. They provide for us a challenging summary of the way a genuine community of believers should dedicate their lives: and set examples for the next generation. Paul writes, “You however (in contrast to the bad examples he has just listed), “have followed my teaching, my aim in life, my faith, my patience, my love, my steadfastness, my persecutions and sufferings” [2 Timothy 3:10-11].

These are all major aspects of a godly character manifesting itself in reaction to the challenges life in the world around them. and that of faithless followers [2 Timothy 3:5-8]. It is beneficial to meditate on each one. Then we noted Paul’s comment, “from them all the Lord rescued me” [2 Timothy 3:11] and while this applies particularly to the persecutions he endured, we specially appreciate how the Lord was intimately with him from the moment he met him on the road to Damascus. Tragically there are those, says Paul, who, while “having the appearance of godliness” [2 Timothy 3:5] are “lovers of self” [2 Timothy 3:2] Our world is full of such, let us make sure their attitudes do not ‘rub off’ on us. 

The climax to his thoughts is, “I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness …” [2 Timothy 4:7-8] 

Earlier he had written of his commitment that “by any means possible, I may attain the resurrection of the dead. Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own.” [Philippians 3:11-12] How well are we ‘pressing on’?

Paul’s final message of encouragement to Timothy is invaluable advice to us, “as for you, continue in what you have learned and have firmly believed … how from childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. All scripture is breathed out by God …” [2 Timothy 3:14-16] - and should be breathed in by us and used - so that a crown of righteousness “is laid up” for us. 

-------

- DC

27 November 2016

Esther 2

Amos 7

Titus 1; 2; 3  

"THE GRACE OF GOD ... TRAINING US"

When I was a child I remember the word GRACE as being what was said before a meal, words of thanksgiving and that, up to a point, is what it means. 

It is a special word in the writings of Paul; have a careful look at how he uses it! Paul sees a great need to express his thanksgiving at the wonder of God’s grace toward him. So grace is specially related to the spirit of forgiveness, God’s mercy toward those who fear and love him – especially those who had been kicking against the goads of conscience as Paul had been. It is the same today, God never changes.

Our reading today is the whole of his letter to Titus, 3 chapters, but that’s only 46 verses. Four times he uses the word GRACE. The passage that particularly jumps out is, “For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people; training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives” [Titus 2:11-12] 

God’s work of Grace is centered on the work of His Son. But, here’s a very important question. How does God’s grace train us? Usually training means to receive instruction. Surely Paul understood that the spirit of thanksgiving for God’s mercy in that He is not dealing with us as we deserve - that this should cause such a reaction of appreciation in our minds that it causes us to WANT to live self-controlled and Godly lives and be ready to show grace to others.

But that did not always happen. Elsewhere Paul asks the question, “Are we to sin because we are not under law but under grace?” [Romans 6:15] Meaning, dare we think, that as God is always forgiving, does it really matter if we sin? 

Is this what he was indicating when he wrote, “Where sin increased, grace abounded all the more” [Romans 5:20]? It is tragic that some “Christians” see this as a licence to do whatever they like without experiencing any pricking of conscience; it was a perception of this attitude which turned Mahatma Gandhi away from Christianity – if you read his autobiography. It is an attitude caused by shallow thinking! 

But we are invited to lift up our minds toward heavenly things, as Paul also writes to Titus, “so that being justified by his grace we might become heirs according to the hope of eternal life.” [Titus 3:7]

-------

- DC

28 November 2016

Esther 3; 4

Amos 8

Philemon 1  

“IF I PERISH I PERISH”

We are reading the dramatic story of Esther. When I was young, around 60 years ago - and a member of the large Melbourne Youth Group, we put on an elaborate presentation of Esther and I played the part of Mordecai. It is the sort of thing that sticks in your mind.

The pivotal point in this book is the challenge that Mordecai gave to Esther now that she had the position of Queen to King Ahasuerus. Mordecai’s declaration was that she must go before the King and plead for the life of the Jews – and this would include revealing that she herself was a Jew.

Such was the protocol of the Palace that anyone pushing their way into the King’s presence without being invited – could be put to death. Esther had a crucial decision to make, self-preservation, to put her personal safety first, or to act on behalf of others. This was an action she was the only one who was in a position to undertake.

Esther chose to do what Mordecai requested, declaring, “If I perish, I perish” [Esther 4:16] It is an exciting drama to read, especially the events which followed, but the lesson for us is that there always seems to be at least one pivotal event in everyone’s life, a cross roads as to the destination we decide to aim for, the pathway that beckons us to go down! Whether we go or not, becomes for us, a decision which is a life changing event.

To make NO decision, is itself a decision! It is a decision to drift along with life with no specific destination in view. From a spiritual point of view that is what many are doing, refusing to decide whether there is a God or not!

But if they have no time for God – then God will have no time for them – this life is their only future – and how increasingly uncertain is it becoming – and how many will “perish” eternally, because of their failure.

-------

- DC

29 November 2016

Esther 5; 6

Amos 9

Hebrews 1; 2  

“YOUR THRONE O GOD IS FOREVER”

We read today – in Hebrews 1 – which is one of the only two places where Jesus is called ‘God’ – and we have made this our caption today. Why is Jesus called “God”? We look at the context and it becomes clear that it is when Jesus is being contrasted with the angels.

In Hebrews 1:7 we read, “Of the angels he says, "He makes his angels winds, and his ministers a flame of fire." (He is quoting from Psalm 104:4) where angels are called ‘messengers’.

Then in contrast to angels the next words in Hebrews are, “But of the Son he says, "Your throne, O God, is forever and ever, the sceptre of uprightness is the sceptre of your kingdom.”

The next verse clarifies for us the sense in which Jesus is called God – “You have loved righteousness and hated wickedness; therefore God, your God, has anointed you with the oil of gladness beyond your companions."

So the Creator of all things made (anointed) His son with the name ‘God’ because he “loved righteousness and hated wickedness.” He set the example for us! And, now the key question, what is the future for those who do this? The answer is self-evident – note how the 2nd chapter ends! There is the wonderful declaration to you and I, “because he himself has suffered when tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted.”

Our world abounds with temptations, so we must, says Paul, have “the eyes of (y)our hearts enlightened, (so) that you may know what is the hope to which he has called you, what are the riches of his glorious inheritance…” [Ephesians 1:18] We achieve this, in Hebrews 12 Paul tells us, by daily “looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.” [Hebrews 12:2]

Being seated in this way, there is a sense in which Jesus can be called, ‘God.’ Paul sums up the wonder of this situation in 1 Corinthians 15:57 in writing, “thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.”

-------

- DC

30 November 2016

Esther 7; 8

Obadiah 1

Hebrews 3; 4; 5

“THE DECEITFULNESS OF SIN”

The word ‘sin’ is an obsolete word today, do we ever hear it used in personal conversations? It would only be in a Bible talk and occasionally in discussions between brethren and sisters. What challenges we face in our godless world – but I doubt we ever tell anyone today that they are sinners – I recall a conversation in which the word “adultery” occurred and the young lady I was talking to did not know what it meant, had never heard the word before!

Our thoughts travelled along these lines this morning at we read Hebrews 3, “Take care, brothers, lest there be in any of you an evil, unbelieving heart, leading you to fall away from the living God. But exhort one another every day, as long as it is called ‘Today,’ that none of you may be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin.” [Hebrews 3:12-13]

Think about that word “hardened.” The constant exposure to some things – causes our minds to be “hardened.” Those who work a lot with their hands outdoors know how their hands get “hardened.” Surrounded as most of us are – constantly – by the godless ways of the world, if only in conversation, there is a danger we are becoming “hardened” to some degree – without realizing it! Paul in writing to the Romans, reminds them how in the past “Israel failed to obtain what it was seeking. The elect obtained it, but the rest were hardened” [Romans 11:7] Let us make sure we stay among “the elect.”

The conclusion in Hebrews 3 is a lesson drawn from how the great majority of “those who left Egypt led by Moses … were unable to enter because of unbelief.” [Hebrews 3:16,19]. Yet they had seen the wonders God did as they left Egypt and how God had provided for their basic needs in the wilderness – and witnessed the divine dramas displayed to them at Mt. Sinai. Our world is a wilderness – how ‘real’ is our belief? Are we drawing real strength of mind from God’s word every day? Not just by reading it – but mediating on what we read – making it ‘live’ in our minds – to continually build up strength to resist “the deceitfulness of sin.”

-------

- DC