TFTD - August 2015

Resource Manager

26 August 2015                

"The Bible is a living statement of divine principles and we see in its pages the basic human situations, which are timeless, and how God views them and the people involved in them. Reading the Bible, we are like David listening to Nathan telling his story of the rich man who stole the "little ewe lamb" of his poor neighbour. We can see how God views sin, through the experiences of others. We can join with David in condemning them and feel quite superior in the process—until the voice of Scripture declares, like Nathan to David, "You are the man". Everywhere in the Bible we are reading our own story, through the lives of other men in other days, and God is showing us in them what is His mind and will. If we may paraphrase the famous words of the poet John Donne: "Never send to ask of whom the prophet speaks: he speaks of thee."

- L.W. Richardson

The Importance of Right Attitudes (1970)

27 August 2015 

“Whoever offers praise glorifies me: and to him that orders his conversation aright will I show the salvation of God.” (Psalm 50:23)

"I laid the foundations of the earth? ... Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof; when the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?” (Job 38:47). At the birth of our Lord Jesus Christ the angels sang, “Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, goodwill toward men” (Luke 2:14). The theme continues through to Revelation where John records, “I heard a great voice of much people in heaven, saying, Alleluia, salvation, and glory, and honour, and praise, and power, unto the Lord our God” (Revelation 19:12). It is good to think that our voices will joined with those who sing to God’s praise in that glorious day, by His grace."

- A.D. Nightingale

Lift up to God the Voice of Praise (1999)

28 August 2015

"It was Jesus who engaged his heart, who pledged himself, to God; and his perfect obedience made it possible for God to say to all who can draw near to him in Christ, "You shall be my people, and I will be your God". These are the true children of Israel, a people near to Him."

- Spencer L. Hale

A People Near to God (1977)

29 August 2015

"None of us can ever hide where He cannot find us, and every act of waywardness is performed in the daylight of His awareness. Neither can any of us stumble or be in any kind of need but He knows it. "This poor man cried, and the Lord heard him" (Psalm 34:6). Never fear, He that keeps Israel keeps us. When the final trumpet sounds and the walls of this age are rent the Lord will be the refuge of His people."

- Harry Tennant

Both Small and Great (1961)

30 August 2015

"The manna was hidden in the dew until the sun arose and evaporated the covering. So Isaiah wrote: "Awake and sing, you that dwell in dust: for your dew is as the dew of herbs, and the earth shall cast out the dead." (Isaiah 26:19). When the sun of righteousness arises with healing in his wings, the dew will be evaporated, the earth will cast out the dead; and those who are his, will be healed unto life eternal."

- F.E. Mitchell

There Was a Tabernacle Made (1976)

31 August 2015

"We are ambassadors": and this high office is primarily the apostles’ only; but the code of behaviour for lesser ministers of their King is the same. But let us clear away a false modern thought. It is not helpful to think of the present-day ambassador’s suavity and tactful insincerity. We do not represent a government whose policy changes and whose intentions must be concealed, but a King who changeth not, with a message for all to hear. Yet it is helpful to think of two of his qualities: that he should clearly understand his Monarch’s counsels and be at one with them; and that his behaviour in a foreign land should be such as can reflect only credit upon the One he represents."

- A. D. Norris

Preaching the Word