TFTBR - August 2015

Resource Manager

26 August 2015

1 Kings 21

Jeremiah 48

1 Corinthians 7  

"I WILL RESTORE ... IN THE LATTER DAYS"

We have 3 long, interesting and challenging readings today, they are examples of how we have to get our minds around the words God has caused to be written and preserved. When we do this we get the full picture of God at work, his mercy and forbearance, what he allows and what he condemns.

In 1 Kings 21 we see the LORD’s mercy on Ahab, that though "There was none who sold himself to do what was evil in the sight of the LORD like Ahab, whom Jezebel his wife incited" [1 Kings 21:25] that "when Ahab heard those words" of judgement from God "and fasted and lay in sackcloth and went about dejectedly." [1 Kings 21:27] the LORD said to Elijah, "Because he has humbled himself before me, I will not bring the disaster in his days; but in his son's days ..." [1 Kings 21:29]

In Jeremiah, we see how he is caused to prophecy against Moab; it had been a prosperous and helpful country, remember how David took his parents for protection to the king of Moab [1 Samuel 22:3-4] But, says the LORD, through Jeremiah 48:2 - "the renown of Moab is no more”, then in Jeremiah 48:7, "because you trusted in your works and your treasures, you also shall be taken."

Nations and people trust in similar things today!  But what about Moab?  Today this ancient land forms the major part of the nation of Jordan and its' present relationship with Israel is intriguing!  Our chapter ends significantly, "Yet I will restore the fortunes of Moab in the latter days, declares the LORD." Verse 19 is of interest; Aroer was a town in Moab/Jordan, the verse says, "Stand by the way and watch, O inhabitant of Aroer" - That is what we must do today in these "latter days."

Our chapter in 1 Corinthians 7 makes a fascinating study; Paul makes a multitude of points about the sanctity of marriage.  If someone becomes a believer in the Lord, but their husband or wife does not, their marriage should continue, the believer "should not divorce him"(or her). There is a sense in which the unbeliever "is made holy" and the "children would be unclean" [1 Corinthians 7:13-14] if their relationship did not continue. 

"But" says Paul, "if the unbelieving partner separates, let it be so. In such cases the brother or sister is not enslaved. God has called you to peace." [1 Corinthians 7:15]  "Peace" in believing is what we all seek, but for some to achieve this is a real challenge, especially “in the latter days” in which surely we are living. 

Let us all, “Stand by the way and watch”.  

-------

- DC

27 August 2015

1 Kings 22

Jeremiah 49

1 Corinthians 8; 9  

"SO RUN THAT YOU MAY OBTAIN IT"

Our quote is from Pauls’ words in 1 Corinthians 9.  He describes life as a race and says, "So run that you may obtain it." [1 Corinthians 9:24]  Obtain what? In the next verse - we find the answer! 

An "imperishable"  "wreath."!   

Corinth was a centre for sporting events, winners were awarded a wreath. Paul was drawing a lesson for believers there - from the objectives in life of those around them.

Paul observes his own objectives, "I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air.  But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified." [1 Corinthians 9:26-27] His point is obvious!  So how well are you and I running in the race of life?

Paul's running was centred on preaching, in spreading the gospel, sharing the 'good news' - which is what the word gospel means. "In my preaching," says Paul, my aim is to, ”present the gospel free of charge" [1 Corinthians 9:18] We see how, especially in recent generations, many have made much money out of preaching what is largely a distorted gospel: they preach what people want to hear - as did the "prophets" to Ahab, about 400 of them, as we read today in 1 Kings 22:5 onward. They told Ahab "Go up, for the Lord will give it into the hand of the king." [1 Kings 22:6]. When a genuine "prophet of the LORD" [1 Kings 22:7]  was called - his message was different!  But Ahab heeded the 400 prophets - and died in the battle that followed.

Let us have a clear vision in our minds of what Paul preached. Those who read God's word regularly and thoroughly know how important it is to talk to others about the true and original gospel which is about the coming heavenly kingdom of God - to be established on earth, when "the meek ... shall inherit the earth" [Matthew 5:5]  May we all feel more and more 'inspired' to "so run that you may obtain it"

-------

- DC

28 August 2015

2 Kings 1; 2

Jeremiah 50

1 Corinthians 10  

"GOD IS FAITHFUL AND HE WILL NOT LET ..."

Our Old Testament readings are long and rather involved today.  In 2 Kings 2 we saw the drama of Elijah being taken away in “chariots of fire” [2 Kings 2:11] from Elisha who succeeds him.  Where he goes is not clear, but later a letter comes from him, see 2 Chronicles 21:12.

Jeremiah 50 is a long chapter about the fate of Babylon – the nation that had destroyed Jerusalem and the Temple.  The prophets’ message is "Flee from the midst of Babylon” [Jeremiah 50:8]  In Jeremiah 50:12 it is prophesied, "Behold, she shall be the last of the nations."  We are intrigued that Babylon is a translation of the Hebrew word 'Babel'!   We know how it figures prominently in the symbolic language of the Bible’s last book, Revelation! 

"Alas! Alas! You great city, you mighty city, Babylon! For in a single hour your judgment has come." [Revelation 18:10]  The whole world appears to follow the worship of Babel today! A final judgement is surely coming because of the worlds’ utter godlessness. Is the “single hour” just about upon us?

In the light of this, the point Paul made in today's chapter of Corinthians [1 Corinthians 10] jumped out at us. He observes that details of God's judgements  "were written down for our instruction, on whom the end of the ages has come." [1 Corinthians 10:11]  The whole of the words God inspired have been written down for that reason! We ignore them at our peril.

The next point Paul makes should be implanted on our memory, "Therefore let anyone who thinks that he stands take heed lest he fall. No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it." [1 Corinthians 10:12-13]

Meditate on how appropriate these words are for us today.  There are many forms of temptation around us.  According to our particular personality, some are stronger than others - but this is certainly the time of the latter day Babel. Let's recall Isaiah's words, "Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes" [isaiah 5:21] Let us be wise in the words that "were written down for our instruction" - they open up "the way of escape" for those that constantly feed their minds on them; they alone really believe and therefore know – in their hearts – that "God is faithful."   

-------

- DC

29 August 2015

2 Kings 3

Jeremiah 51

1 Corinthians 11  

“THERE MUST BE FACTIONS AMONG YOU”

This is what Paul told the Corinthians!  Why must there be factions?  Our reading of 1 Corinthians 11 today is quite challenging!  But this is part of the ways of God!  He challenges us to fully understand his ways and his purpose.  Our world is full of challenges – many of them are temptations to choose the wrong ways.  Making right decisions is a vital part of character development.

Paul told the believers in Corinth, “when you come together ... I hear that there are divisions among you. And I believe it in part, for there must be factions among you in order that those who are genuine among you may be recognized." [1 Corinthians 11:18-19]  That is one of the main points Paul is making.  God's word challenges us to serve our Creator – and His son – our Saviour – both truthfully and truly. It is our Lord who will recognise and acknowledge those who are genuine – but the fruits of that recognition will not be apparent until our Lord returns – and how close are we now to that time!

We are nearing the end of Jeremiah's awesome experiences - and how few remained faithful in that godless time when Jerusalem and the Temple were destroyed -  we fear the comparison with today is very close!

Paul, as well as stressing to the believers in Corinth about the true way to come together and keep what we call 'the Lord's supper' – warns them!  He tells them to make sure they keep it in a "... worthy manner" and not be "guilty concerning the body and blood of the Lord." [1 Corinthians 11:27] 

He says "anyone who eats and drinks without discerning the body eats and drinks judgment on himself." [1 Corinthians 11:29] And “the body” means “the body” of believers!  Look at 1 Corinthians 12 and note 1 Corinthians 11:25,27.

The principle behind his point applies to our whole lives!  Coming together to keep "the Lord's supper" is the highlight of our lives. What a wonderful privilege it is to have this fellowship together, Jesus told his disciples, "where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I among them." [Matthew 18:20]

Back in our chapter today in Paul's letter, we must meditate in our hearts on 1 Corinthians 11:31-32. "if we judged ourselves truly, we would not be judged.  But … we are disciplined so that we may not be condemned along with the world."

This takes our minds to Proverbs 3:11-12 “do not despise the LORD's discipline or be weary of his reproof,  for the LORD reproves him whom he loves, as a father the son in whom he delights.”  May he truly love and delight in you and I. 

-------

- DC 

30 August 2015

2 Kings 4

Jeremiah 52

1 Corinthians 12; 13  

"THE MANIFESTATION OF THE SPIRIT FOR …"

We have come to that part of Paul’s letter to the Corinthians which is about the gifts of the Spirit which were possessed among the believers there. The Gospels were not yet in circulation, probably they had just been written.   Now what was the purpose of these gifts? After writing, “to each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good” [1 Corinthians 12:7], we notice the first gifts that are then mentioned, “To one is given through the Spirit the utterance of wisdom, and to another the utterance of knowledge, to another faith by the same Spirit …” [1 Corinthians 12:8-9]  Properly used, these inspired utterances would stimulate the spiritual life of the believers in Corinth.

The different gifts were like different parts of the body and Paul proceeds to draw an analogy on this, that as the parts of our body team together, so the believers should. “The eye cannot say to the hand I have no need of you, nor again the head to the feet, I have no need of you” [1 Corinthians 12:21].  It is evident that the believers in Corinth were not teaming together very well at all.  A lesson we may need today!

1 Corinthians 13 describes what was lacking – love!  Paul wrote,  “if I have prophetic powers and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing” [1 Corinthians 13:2] Nothing!  What is it to be “nothing” in Christ’s eyes!? After that generation the gifts ceased.  What continued is summed up in the last verse, “So now faith, hope and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love.”    

When Jesus returns, faith will be turned to sight and hope fulfilled!  So Paul is speaking of the things which are central to the here and now – and surely in God’s kingdom, with Jesus reigning from Jerusalem, then “love” will be the guiding principle of life!    

We remember when the disciples of Jesus came to him and asked for an explanation of “the parable of the weeds in the field” [Matthew 13:36]  that he said, “The Son of Man will send his angels, and they will gather out of his kingdom all causes of sin and all law breakers … then the righteous will shine like the sun in the kingdom …” [Matthew 13:41,43]  It is evident that “love” with be the motive power for that shining! 

Then the Spirit will be seen in all its “goodness” for the Spirit gifts are “the powers of the age to come.” [Hebrews 6:5]   Let us beware of those who make claims they have such powers now. The gifts then were to provide strength of conviction in the believers until the gospels and apostolic letters were in circulation.  They, and the other Scriptures, are the foundation of our strength today. 

-------

- DC

31 August 2015

2 Kings 5

Lamentations 1

1 Corinthians 14  

"... BUT EVEN MORE TO PROPHECY"

We can be confused by the use of the word "prophecy" - presuming it simply means a prediction of future events.  But its’ primary meaning is to speak about the word of God, of God's view of human behaviour: most of Jeremiah's messages to the people had been like that.  His Lamentations over the fall of Jerusalem, which we started reading today, were all about the present situation those still in the land were in.  He starts, "How lonely sits the city that was full of people! .... she took no thought of her future; therefore her fall is terrible; she has no comforter." [Lamentations 1:1,9] Our world takes "no thought" as to its future! What kind of afflictions await it because of this!

Our thoughts about the word "prophecy" were prompted by Paul's words in todays' chapter of Corinthians. 1 Corinthians 14:5 is puzzling, we need to see the context of the point Paul is making: "Now I want you all to speak in tongues, but even more to prophesy. The one who prophesies is greater ..."  Paul does not mean that such are forth-telling future events! He means – to tell the truth about God's ways and will. 

Look down at 1 Corinthians 14:24-25!  Paul states " if all prophesy, and an unbeliever or outsider enters, he is convicted by all, he is called to account by all,  the secrets of his heart are disclosed, and so, falling on his face, he will worship God and declare that God is really among you." Those points makes the meaning of the word clear.

There was no Bible available among that first generation of Gentile believers, so gifts of the spirit were given.  But they had to be properly used – and Paul is writing here - seeking to correct their misuse. He declares –  the gift of "prophecy is a sign not for unbelievers but for believers." [1 Corinthians 14:22] It is clear from Acts 2 and the events on the day of Pentecost, that "tongues" were actual languages and were a sign and encouragement to unbelievers to learn about "the mighty works of God." [Acts 2:11]  They listened and received the message – a contrast to the experience of Jeremiah. 

Our final thought today is the point Paul makes near the end of his chapter, so many churches today are ignoring 1 Corinthians 14:34-35 where Paul states, "women should keep silent in the churches ... it is shameful for a woman to speak in church." The chapter ends with Paul's request to the Corinthians that "all things should be done decently and in order." That is just as much the need today - but only those who carefully and prayerfully read God's word will achieve this. 

-------

- DC