Jordanian Archaeological News - General

Resource Manager

Droning on in the Badia: UAVs and Site Documentation at Wadi al-Qattafi

Available until August 18, 2017

"Near Eastern Archaeology, June 2017,"Droning on in the Badia: UAVs and Site Documentation at Wadi al-Qattafi" by Austin "Chad" Hill (Dartmouth College) and Yorke M. Rowan (Oriental Institute).

Drones, or Unpiloted Aerial Vehicles (UAVs), are quickly changing approaches to archaeological mapping. They are effective tools for documenting smaller ancient features that might be missed by the resolution limitations of satellite imagery. As part of the Eastern Badia Archaeological Project, this article presents the preliminary results of a large-scale aerial survey of Wadi al-Qattafi, Jordan undertaken to map the kites and smaller features concentrated around and on top of the basalt mesas in the area ..."

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ancient Earthquake Turned Mosaic Workshop into Time Capsule

By Laura Geggel, Senior Writer | August 15, 2017 07:04am ET

"An earthquake-toppled house in the ancient city of Jerash is providing archaeologists with clues on how artisans constructed mosaics during the eighth century.

The ancient house was likely undergoing a remodel when, on Jan. 18, 749, the massive earthquake struck Jerash, located in what is now Jordan, the researchers of a new study found."

Continued

‘First Of-Its-Kind’ Hellenistic Temple Discovered in Umm Qais

By Ahmed Bani Mustafa - Aug 14,2017 - Last updated at Aug 14,2017

AMMAN — "A “first-of-its-kind” Hellenistic temple in the Levant region has been discovered in Umm Qais, an archaeologist said on Monday.

An archaeological excavation team from Yarmouk University has recently discovered a Hellenistic temple and network of water tunnels, Atef Sheyyab, president of the archaeology department at the university told the Jordan Times."

Continued

• 2 weeks later...

Of interest:

Friday, August 25, 2017

The Jordanian Lead Codices: (3) The Abgar-Selaman Epitaph

"THIS IS MY THIRD POST commenting on Samuel Zinnner's comprehensive report on the Jordanian Lead Codices: Son of the Star: Bar Kokhba and the Jordanian lead books, which has been published online by the Centre for the Study of the Jordanian Lead Books."

Continued

• 3 months later...

Walking Through History on the Spectacular Jordan Trail

By Gail Simmons, destination guide expert

27 NOVEMBER 2017 • 12:35PM

"It was late morning and I was sitting on a rock atop a mountain in southern Jordan, munching on a date and taking in the vast panorama of the Great Rift Valley spread out before me. This spectacle was my reward for two hours spent scaling a steep Bedouin track, a clamber punctuated by frequent stops to catch my breath and inhale the scent of boot-trodden thyme. I’d been up since before dawn, when the stars were still etched in the sky, and had just completed the first major climb of my four-day hiking trip on the new Jordan Trail."

Continued

• 3 weeks later...
Of interest:

Archaeologists Revise Chronology of the Last Hunter-Gatherers in the Near East

Tue, Dec 05, 2017

UNIVERSITY OF COPENHAGEN - FACULTY OF HUMANITIES—"New research by a team of scientists and archaeologists based at the Weizmann Institute of Science and the University of Copenhagen suggests that the 15,000-year-old 'Natufian Culture' could live comfortably in the steppe zone of present-day eastern Jordan - this was previously thought to be either uninhabitable or only sparsely populated."

Continued

Also @:

PUBLIC RELEASE: 7-DEC-2017

Uncovering Varied Pathways to Agriculture

"New dates for a 15,000-year-old site in Jordan challenge some prevailing assumptions about the beginnings of permanent settlement"

WEIZMANN INSTITUTE OF SCIENCE

"Around 15,000 years ago, the Natufian culture appeared in what is today's Middle East. This culture, which straddled the border between nomadic and settled lifestyles, had diverse, complex origins - much more than researchers have assumed. This finding arises from new research by a team of scientists and archaeologists from the Weizmann Institute of Science and the University of Copenhagen."

Continued