TFTBR - February 2021

Resource Manager

01 February 2021

Exodus 5; 6

Psalms 58; 59

Romans 10; 11

"DO NOT BECOME PROUD, BUT STAND IN AWE"

It is fundamental to human nature, uninfluenced by God’s Word, to become proud about what they are achieving. Paul makes this point strongly in chapter 11 of his letter to the Romans [Romans 11]. He warns the Gentile converts not to follow the same path as did most leading Jews in their pride in their privileged position before God. He uses the analogy of an olive tree. We understand that the trunk of the tree was Abraham, Isaac and Jacob with the Jewish nation as the branches.

Paul then makes the point to the Gentiles, that the natural “branches were broken off” so that you “might be grafted in” [Romans 11:19] adding, “they were broken off because of their unbelief, but you stand fast through faith. So do not become proud, but stand in awe” [Romans 11:20]

Tragically the Gentile branches have become proud and so many have been broken off or are in the process of dying. Observe the principle stated in Romans 11:22 “note then the kindness and the severity of God.” It is tragic that so often all the emphasis is on the kindness and love of God as though he is purely a God of love, ever forgiving despite continuing sinfulness.

Paul comments on the future of the natural branches, saying, if “they do not continue in unbelief” they “will be grafted in again, for God has the power to graft them in again,” adding, “how much more will these, the natural branches, be grafted back into their own olive tree” [Romans 11:23,24]. Paul warns the Gentiles not to “be wise in your own conceits” The twin brother of pride is conceit! The thing “I want you to understand”, he says, is that “a partial hardening has come upon Israel until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in.” [Romans 11:25]

We feel we are close to this “fullness” of time when the Gospel has reached every corner of the world “and then the end shall come” as we read in Matthew 24:14 last week. Let us “stand in awe” as we witness the fullness of time and pray we may remain grafted in – or be grafted in - if we are not yet part of God’s olive tree.

-------

- DC

02 February 2021

Exodus 7; 8

Psalms 60; 61

Romans 12

"I WILL PERFORM MY VOWS DAY AFTER DAY"

Psalm 61 is a very personal prayer of David. It starts, “Hear my cry, O God, listen to my prayer” and ends, “So I will ever sing praises to your name as I perform my vows day after day.” David recognised that his commitment to God had to be constant, “day after day.”

David also wrote, “from the end of the earth I call to you when my heart is faint” [Psalm 61:2] But calling upon God when one is feeling faint must be harder if you are not carrying out your commitment of service to him day after day – and that includes using one’s particular talents and taking the opportunities that God puts in our path – although it may only become clearer later that God put them there.

The perceptions of David are parallel with many of the points Paul makes in that most ‘powerful’ chapter 12 of Romans which is also today’s reading. “… present your bodies as a living sacrifice … do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God…” [Romans 12:1,2]

It is challenging to consider the nature of “testing”. Today, for many of us, the circumstances of our lives are more testing than ever! But it does not mean “testing” in that sense. The New English Bible reads, “let your minds be remade and your whole nature thus transformed. Then you will be able to discern the will of God” Read that again, these words are parallel with what we understood concerning David’s thoughts and experiences.

So we are to test the situations that confront us in our lives to discern the will of God as to which path we should take – the ones that will enable us to serve him better. Paul also reminds us of that which we thought about yesterday – the danger of being wise in our own conceits! “Live in harmony with one another,” he writes, “Do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly. Never be conceited … never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, ‘Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord” [Romans 12:16,19]

God’s day of vengeance on a self-centred and godless world must be getting near, let us perform our vows every day and be ready, with God’s help, for that day.

-------

- DC

03 February 2021

Exodus 9

Psalms 62; 63

Romans 13; 14

"FOR NONE OF US LIVES FOR HIMSELF"

What is the purpose of our lives? Paul challenges believers in Rome to consider what they are really living for! That challenge needs to be made just as much today! When people are self centred, only thinking of what they want to do and accomplish, the end result is disharmony; this must not be so among the genuine followers of Christ; this is Paul’s message to the believers in Rome.

Paul states, “let us … decide never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of a brother (or sister)” [Romans 14:13] One of the ways this was happening was the kind of food that was eaten when they came together, “if your brother is grieved by what you eat, you are no longer walking in love” [Romans 14:15] “It is good not to eat meat or drink wine or do anything that causes your brother (or sister) to stumble” [Romans 14:21,22]

Romans 15 starts with the advice, “We who are strong have an obligation to bear with the failings of the weak, and not to please ourselves. Let each one of us please his neighbour for his good, to build him (her) up. For Christ did not please himself … “ These are all examples that “none of us lives to him(her)self , and none of us dies to himself. If we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord. So then, whether we live or die, we are the Lord’s.” [Romans 14:7-8] – this is the purpose of our lives.

Note Paul’s reference to death – as well as to living. We have felt sadness in attending quite a number of funerals in the last month or two – and on those occasions thoughts are expressed in the clearest possible way that the deceased has “died in the Lord” – to all human appearances they have been faithful to the end.

Those who are young, or relatively so, need to be ever conscious of the uncertainties of life. The news each day always has illustrations of this. Therefore may “none of us” live for ourselves, may we all live and consider each other – and also speak an appropriate “word” to unbelievers as opportunities arise -and above all – to “live for the Lord.”

-------

- DC

04 February 2021

Exodus 10

Psalms 64; 65

Romans 15; 16

" ... FILL YOU WITH ALL JOY AND PEACE IN BELIEVING"

What fills us with joy and peace? What kind of joy? The frivolity which so many seek to fill their spare time is not at all the joy that Paul is writing about as he completes his letter to the Romans. It does not create “peace.” The full context of his words are, “May the God of all hope fill you with joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope.” [Romans 15:13]

This world does not “abound in hope”! Their kind of joy has no lasting hope attached to it. Much of their “joy” seems to be a means of blotting out the sense of hopelessness in the meaning of their lives, there is nothing of substance they believe in.

Earlier in the chapter Paul had made clear the kind of believing associated with “the joy and hope.” He wrote, “whatever was written in former days was written for our instruction that through endurance and through the encouragement of the scriptures we might have hope.” [Romans 15:4] He is referring to the Old Testament, the encouragement they gave, the Psalms we are currently reading being an outstanding example. In Romans 15:9-12 Paul quotes from 4 different parts of the Old Testament; we must not neglect that part of the Bible, they were an inspiration to Paul as they had been to our Lord.

We must not misunderstand Paul’s reference to the “power of the Holy Spirit” in the passage we quoted. Paul says it causes us to “abound in hope.” In the previous chapter we read, “For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking but of righteousness, and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit.” [Romans 14:17] In its’ leisure time our world focuses on “eating and drinking” but, for true believers, their’ “righteousness, peace and joy” comes from their constant sense – that “In him (God) we live and move and have our being” [Acts 17:28]. Paul was conscious of the all seeing eye of God, it had changed his life. David fully sensed God’s total awareness of his life. In Psalm 139 we read, “O LORD, you have searched me and known me! … you discern my thoughts from afar ….” [Psalm 139:1,2] and then exclaims, “Where shall I go from your Spirit?” [Psalm 139:7]

The word “power” – in the Gk dunamis, takes its meaning from its context, in Romans 1:16 Paul exclaimed, “I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to every one who believes …” Let us really believe; may the true original gospel be a POWER in our minds as we absorb it through our daily reading of God’s word.

-------

- DC

05 February 2021

Exodus 11; 12

Psalms 66; 67

Mark 1

"IF I HAD CHERISHED INIQUITY IN MY HEART"

The Psalms are often very personal. We read today of the great things God has done – and will yet do. The more we are conscious of God, the more we should have the heart felt desire to serve him and that, that service should be the very best of which we are capable. It is those who have no real consciousness of the all seeing eye of God who cherish thoughts of sinful ways in their thinking and seem blind to the weaknesses in their character.

Today we read Psalm 66. Remember the Psalms are the Hymn Book of Ancient Israel. Most were designed to be sung in the Temple, so imagine singing this in the Temple Solomon built. “I will come into your house with burnt offerings; I will perform my vows to you, that which my lips uttered and my mouth promised when I was in trouble … Come and hear, all you who fear God, and I will tell what he has done for my soul … If I had cherished iniquity in my heart, the Lord would not have listened. But God truly has listened; he has attended to the voice of my prayer.” [Psalm 66:13,14,16,18,19]

God knows whether we are genuine – even more than we might sometimes be prepared to admit to ourselves. Recall how Jesus, when he was in the temple, taught them “saying to them, “Is it not written, ‘My house shall be called a house of prayer for all nations.” [Mark 11:17] That time is now near and those who do not cherish iniquity in their hearts will be there and experience the reality of the opening words of this Psalm!

“Shout for joy to God, all the earth; sing the glory of his name; give to him glorious praise! Say to God, ‘How awesome are your deeds! So great is your power that your enemies come cringing to you. All the earth worships you and sings praises to you …” [Psalm 66:1-4]

May we be there to sing and offer endless praise.

-------

- DC

06 February 2021

Exodus 13; 14

Psalms 68

Mark 2

“WHEN JESUS SAW THEIR FAITH”

While it is a true that a person’s faith is an important element in healing [Matthew 9:22], we noticed in our Mark reading today [Mark 2] that the faith of others can be a vital factor in some healings. We read of the four men who came to Jesus carrying a paralysed man and “when they could not get near him (Jesus) because of the crowd, they removed the roof above him and when they had made an opening, they let down the bed on which the paralytic lay. And when Jesus saw their faith, he said to the paralytic: my son your sins are forgiven you … rise, pick up your bed and go home.” [Mark 2:4,5,11]

It was their faith that Jesus reacted to. There is great importance in praying for others, it is a vital part of our efforts to serve God. James writes, “ The prayer of faith will save the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he (or she) will be forgiven … pray for one another … the prayer of a righteous person has great power in its working” [James 5:15,16]

Prayer and faith go hand in hand. Sometimes people speak of having faith in themselves – and some of these only turn to God when all else fails! But we need a faith in the all seeing involvement of Jesus and the Father in our lives every day.

Now it can be only when those with such a faithful attitude look back that they see strange twists in the course of events that they perceive the hand of God at work. Often these are events that cause their faith to grow – and sometimes these events were not seen to be “good” at the time. Did the man who was paralysed and his 4 friends think it was a good event when he became paralysed?

Paul in reasoning with the believers in Corinth in his 2nd letter, quoted the words of God found in Leviticus, “I will make my dwelling among them and walk among them and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. Therefore … be separate … and I will be a father to you and you shall be my sons and daughters” [2 Corinthians 6:16-18]. Let us become more conscious of the reality of Jesus being among us, for he said, “I will never leave you or forsake you.” [Hebrews 13:5]

-------

- DC

07 February 2021

Exodus 15

Psalms 69

Mark 3

"... MAGNIFY HIM WITH THANKSGIVING"

Is there an attitude of thankfulness for all the blessings we have today? In most countries there is ample food and clothing, especially in Australia where there is an abundance of everything we could possibly require – and many things we do not need! It is such a contrast to the time we were young – during the war and for years after – the awesomely destructive 1939-45 war. But now there is more than plenty of everything – how many are thankful?

We have to say that a thankful spirit is rarely seen, instead the spirit is to seek more and more, especially money – and look for someone to blame (usually the Govt) when it is lacking. This is a line of thinking that occurred to us as we read David’s Psalm 69, written at a difficult time of his life, despairing of “those who hate me without a cause” [Psalm 69:4]. He saw many who lacked any love for God and he says to God, “the reproaches of those who reproached you have fallen on me” [Psalm 69:9]

Parts of the Psalm become a prophecy of the experiences of his ‘greater son’ Jesus, “I looked for pity, but there was none … for my thirst they gave me sour wine to drink” [Psalm 69:20,21] Of those who showed no pity, David wrote, “Let them be blotted out of the book of the living” [Psalm 69:28] and sadly that will also be the lot of all those who do not have the spirit of thankfulness, but instead take everything, as their “right” to possess.

The Psalm starts to reach its climax as David writes, “let your salvation, O God set me on high! I will praise the name of God with a song; I will magnify him with thanksgiving.” [Psalm 69:29,30]. We saw a direct parallel to this in our Exodus reading [Exodus 15] when “Moses and the people of Israel sang this song to the LORD” [Exodus 15:1] It was a song of thanksgiving, “I will sing to the LORD … he has become my salvation … I will praise him … I will exalt him.” [Exodus 15:2] Sadly, as we read on in Exodus we see how the great majority failed to maintain their thankfulness and confidence in God. In verse 26 we read that the LORD said to them, “If you will diligently listen to the voice of the LORD your God and do that which is right in his eyes …” [Exodus 15:26]. Today, we can say, if we will diligently read the word God has caused to be preserved - and believe and live in a way that shows we believe – then – yes then, what a wonderful future will be ours.

-------

- DC

08 February 2021

Exodus 16

Psalms 70; 71

Mark 4

"THEY MAY INDEED SEE, BUT ..."

“How good is your eyesight? What do we look at each day? Why do we choose one thing in preference to another?

There is a sense in which we can talk about the ‘eyesight’ of the mind! (see Ephesians 1:18) Why do we think about certain things more than others? Our meditation upon our thinking processes was prompted by the way, when the crowds had left, Jesus responded to “those around him with the twelve” [Mark 4:10].

They ask him about the parables he is using in teaching the people. He tells them, “to you has been given the secret of the kingdom of God’ [Mark 4:11] Is it a secret? There are many references in the Old Testament to the kingdom! True, but the common expectation was that the Messiah would be a conquering king, when that happened it would be totally clear to all. But, the point is - you have to commit yourself before that happens as to whether you are on his side!

God’s way is to attract those who are prepared to think, ‘to use their brains’ as some would put it today. Jesus says he is speaking in parables “so that they may indeed see but not perceive, and may indeed hear but not understand, lest they should turn and be forgiven” [Mark 4:12]. They had seen how different he was to any other teacher; we read in Mark 1, “they were astonished at his teaching, for he taught them as one who had authority and not as the scribes” [Mark 1:22]. But being “astonished” is only a start!

Today we do not hear his teaching or see his miracles, but we know more than ever of the miracle of creation, but the minds of so many are locked into “believing” it all happened by pure chance! And, most important of all, we have this remarkable book that God caused to be written and preserved! How many read but do not understand? How many hear the Lord’s Prayer, but do not understand? Some start to understand, but, as in the parable we read today says, “the cares of the world and the deceitfulness of riches and the desires of other things enter in and choke the word” [Mark 4:19] demonstrating the truth of his saying “they may indeed see but not perceive”

God is not calling the half hearted – may you not be half hearted but have good eyesight.

-------

- DC

09 February 2021

Exodus 17; 18

Psalms 72

Mark 5

"MAY ... HIS FAME CONTINUE AS LONG AS THE SUN"

Today we read one of the best known Psalms – Psalm 72. The introduction states, ‘OF SOLOMON’ but the last verse tells us, “The prayers of David, the son of Jesse are ended.” We therefore conclude David began it as a Psalm for Solomon for the success, through the providence of God, of his coming reign. However, as he progressed in writing the Psalm David becomes inspired to see beyond the mortal reign of Solomon and his grandeur – to that of his greater son.

The Psalm starts, “Give the king your justice, O God, and your righteousness to the royal son! May he judge your people with righteousness, and your poor with justice … May he defend the cause of the poor … and give deliverance to the children of the needy …” [Psalm 72:1,2,4] David’s vision then opens out to encompass the work of his greater son of which he was aware through God’s message to him through the prophet Nathan, that God will “establish the throne of his kingdom for ever … your kingdom shall be made sure forever before me.” [2 Samuel 7:13,16]

Of this Son he writes, “May he have dominion from sea to sea, and from the River to the ends of the earth.” [Psalm 72:8]. In Psalm 72:10 we noted, “may the kings of Sheba and Seba bring gifts.” The Queen of Sheba did bring gifts to Solomon [1 Kings 10:1-13] but Jesus said, “something greater than Solomon is here” [Luke 11:31]

The Psalm reaches its climax with a far reaching vision, “May his name endure for ever, his fame continue as long as the sun! May people be blessed in him, all nations call him blessed! Blessed be the LORD, the God of Israel, who alone does wondrous things. Blessed be his glorious name forever, may the whole earth be filled with his glory! Amen and Amen!” [Psalm 72:17-19]

Oh the wonder of that time! At the moment “the whole earth” is experiencing more and more uncertainties and troubles as man tries to do all for the glory of man! We notice that tomorrow’s Psalm commences, “Truly God is good … to those who are pure in heart.” Those who follow Jesus with all their heart will be there.

-------

- DC

10 February 2021

Exodus 19; 20

Psalms 73

Mark 6

"IF YOU WILL INDEED OBEY ... "

Nearly 3 months had passed from when the people saw the Egyptians who had tried to follow them through the parted waters - dead upon the sea shore. The drama of the plagues had been fresh in their minds then. Since then they had been miraculously provided with water, then with bread, ‘the manna from heaven’ and quail to eat. How much should all these experiences have impressed them!? Now “Israel encamped before the mountain” [Exodus 19:2], not just any mountain! There is no certainty today in identifying this mountain.

“Moses went up to God” [Exodus 19:3]. What did God say to him? They are words which we see being meaningfully echoed in the New Testament from the mouth of Jesus. God told Moses to tell the people, “you yourselves have seen what I did to the Egyptians, and how I bore you on eagle’s wings and brought you to myself. Now therefore if you will indeed obey my voice and keep my covenant you shall be my treasured possession among all peoples for you shall be to me a kingdom of priests … ” [Exodus 19:4-6]

Those final words find a remarkable echo in the last message of Jesus in the last book of the Bible [Revelation 20:6]. From the beginning of the world God has been looking for those who are willing to dedicate their lives to him and become his “treasured possession.” This is an overwhelming prospect – beyond our human comprehension. However, we must realize how the New Testament reveals what we might call, ‘the human face of God.’ Remember how Jesus said, “whoever has seen me has seen the Father” [John 14:9]

But of course he wasn’t the Father! But as we read in Hebrews 1, God “in these last days has spoken to us by his Son” [Hebrews 1:2]. So in Exodus we see God speaks to and through Moses and we particularly note that “Moses said to the people, ‘Do not fear, for God has come to test you, that the fear (awe) of him may be before you, that you may not sin’” [Exodus 20:20]

What about today? Remarkably God now ‘speaks’ through the pages of the Bible which is now available in every known language. To those who truly seek God to “indeed obey” he is a “still small voice” [1 Kings 19:12] but for those who “refuse him who is speaking” [Hebrews 12:25] then see what is written in the rest of Hebrews 12.

-------

- DC

11 February 2021

Exodus 21

Psalms 74

Mark 7

"THE HABITATIONS OF VIOLENCE"

Every time we listen to the world news we hear accounts of violence in various places. Our Psalm today [Psalm 74] has some comparison to this as it was most likely written after the destruction of the Temple for the Psalmist (Asaph) is lamenting, “the enemy has set your sanctuary on fire; they profaned the dwelling place of your name, bringing it down to the ground.” [Psalm 74:7] He then laments about the situation saying, “there is no longer any prophet and there is none among us who knows how long” [Psalm 74:9]

How long? Well, the situation is that “a foolish people reviles your name … for the dark places of the land are full of the habitations of violence” [Psalm 74:18,20] How parallel this situation is with the world today; we could write a Psalm today that would be similar – except for the fact that although there is no longer any prophet we all have access, if we are inclined, to the word of God and its visions of how God sees life and the ultimate end in store!

So we can ask “how long” must this violence in the world continue from a special perspective - now that significant violence is in countries next to God’s land and the people he has restored to live there!?

The Psalm contains lessons for us – for the writer turns his thoughts to God! “Yet God is my King from of old, working salvation in the midst of the earth.” [Psalm 74:12] We remember how God worked deliverance in the days of Moses and David.

The last two verses are a prayer to God that can be ours today, “Arise, O God, defend your cause; remember (be mindful) how the foolish scoff at you all the day! Do not forget the clamour of your foes, the uproar of those who rise up against you, which goes up continually!”

To these words we can add the words with which David concluded Psalm 9, “Arise, O LORD! Let not man prevail; let the nations be judged before you! Put them in fear, O LORD! Let the nations know they are but men!”

-------

- DC

12 February 2021

Exodus 22

Psalms 75; 76

Mark 8

“ … OF HIM WILL THE SON OF MAN BE ASHAMED WHEN HE COMES”

“For whoever is ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, of him will the Son of Man be ashamed when he comes … ” [Mark 8:38]

Why would we be ashamed of Jesus – causing him to be ashamed of us? Notice, he specifically refers to his words! What has Jesus said that we would be ashamed of talking to our neighbours and fellow workers about?

Isn’t it our responsibility to share our faith with others? On Thursday we will read in Mark 12 Jesus’ comment about the second commandment - “You shall love your neighbour as yourself. There is no other commandment greater than these” [Mark 12:31]

Surely we talk to our neighbours, are they aware of our faith? We don’t feel ashamed of what we believe, do we? If we do, why? We must aim to overcome our shyness. When Jesus rebuked Peter because he refused to believe that Jesus was going to be killed, he said to him, “you are not setting your mind on the things of God …” [Mark 8:33]

Let us try harder to set our minds on the things of God. In doing so, we will recall that even in the Law God gave through Moses; there is the command “you shall love your neighbour as yourself” [Leviticus 19:18]. This has been a command for all ages. What a different world this would be if that command was carried out! And who can doubt but that it will be - by those who live in God’s Kingdom.

Let us be in training for God’s Kingdom now! What better way to show your love for your neighbour than by encouraging them to believe in the words of Jesus! We must try to speak to them in the spirit of love, a desire to share something precious; the pearl of great price!

This will be reflected in our attitude as well as in the words that we use, for we ‘communicate’ as much by what we do – as by what we say. The world has a word for it, “body language.” We must seek wisdom from above as we set ourselves to do this. Remember what James wrote, “the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere.” [James 3:17]

-------

- DC

13 February 2021

Exodus 23
Psalms 77
Mark 9

“YOU SHALL NOT JOIN HANDS WITH … ”

Shaking and joining hands is a physical sign of friendship, but Moses uses the term in an opposite context in today’s Exodus 23. We read his warnings about joining hands for bad reasons. He makes some down-to-earth statements of things that God sees as wrong. Many of these are part of life today as men and women act in devious ways to cheat and deceive one another or the Government.

“Now these are the rules you shall set before them,” God said to Moses [Exodus 21:1], “You shall not join hands with a wicked man to be a malicious witness. You shall not fall in with the many to do evil, nor shall you bear witness in a lawsuit, siding with the many, so as to pervert justice” [Exodus 23:1-2].

When Jesus said that we should love our enemies [Matthew 5:44], he surely had in mind things which Moses had said - as we also read today, “If you meet your enemies ox or his donkey going astray you shall bring it back to him” [Exodus 23:4]

Today’s chapter in Mark finishes in a challenging way, “Salt is good, but if salt has lost its saltiness how will you make it salty again? Have salt in yourselves …” [Mark 9:50] What did he mean? On another occasion he told his disciples, “You are the salt of the earth” [Matthew 5:13]. The point is this; those who follow Jesus are to be the “salt” that influences and gives flavour to all it comes in contact with. But what if the salt has lost its saltiness? What if those that should provide the influence of “salt” have ceased to have any influence or have even joined hands with those who ignore God, or at least, turn a blind eye to their ungodly ways of living? Jesus said that such useless salt “is thrown away” [Luke 14:35].

There is a really blunt message in Mark 9 from verse 42 onwards; but it said in more complex language. The “hell” and “unquenchable fire” [Mark 9:44] are part of a mini-parable to convey the utter destruction of those found to be worthless. Here Gehenna is the Greek word for “hell”. It is the rubbish dump outside one part of the wall of Jerusalem where fires continually burnt to consume the rubbish thrown over the wall. The lesson of Jesus is that his hearers must get rid of all hindrances in their walk to the kingdom – with special words of condemnation to those who cause others, the “little ones”, to fail. [Mark 9:42] Meditate on Colossians 4:5-6
-------
- DC

14 February 2021

Exodus 24; 25
Psalms 78
Mark 10

"BUT IT SHALL NOT BE SO AMONG YOU"

We read today how two disciples of Jesus, the brothers James and John, created dissension by asking, “Grant us to sit, one on your right hand and one on your left, in your glory.” [Mark 10:37] “When the ten heard it, they began to be indignant … ” [Mark 10:41] causing Jesus to say to them, “You know that those who are considered rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their great ones exercise authority over them. But it shall not be so among you, but whoever would be great among you must be your servant, and whoever would be first among you must be slave of all.” [Mark 10:42-44]

We look out on a world where there is endless trouble in some countries, indeed tensions in all countries including this country, as to who will be leader or remain leader and exercise authority. Israel’s northern and southern neighbours, Syria and Egypt are aflame at the moment in conflicts of leadership. We also look at the religious world and it is the same, although the dissensions are usually kept under cover. Human organisations operate like a pyramid, the Pope and the papal organisation being a prime example of what Jesus said, “… their great ones exercise authority.” [Mark 10:42]

How can it be different to this? Subsequent events show how, for the disciples, it was! Their failure of faith at the arrest and death of their Lord humbled them and the book of Acts includes powerful examples of their subsequent teamwork. Their final lesson had been at the last supper when they again disputed “which of them was to be regarded as the greatest” [Luke 22:24] leading Jesus to make the point, “I am among you as one who serves” [Luke 22:27] as the vital role to take. This became the inspiration to their subsequent teamwork.

It was one of the lessons the Israelites in the wilderness had to learn in a painful way and it was only the youngest generation who entered the promised land under Joshua who learnt it. Are we following Jesus looking primarily for all the benefits, like the people were doing in following Moses in the wilderness? What a mistake – let us make sure we are those who serve, firstly our Lord, but equally, each other.
-------
- DC

15 February 2021

Exodus 26

Psalms 79; 80

Mark 11

"ACCORDING TO THE PLAN YOU WERE SHOWN"

What is at first most surprising, is the detail Moses is given of the way to construct the tabernacle. As we read Exodus we note that, starting with Exodus 20:1 “God spoke all these words” to Moses. Today in Exodus 26 we have God’s detailed instructions; he said to Moses, “moreover you shall make the Tabernacle with …” [Exodus 26:1] and there follows detailed instructions of the texture, length and colour of the 10 curtains that are to enclose its contents. There are also 50 loops and clasps to secure the curtains, and the “ 50 clasps are of gold” [Exodus 26:6].

In addition he is to make “curtains of goats hair” [Exodus 26:7] for a top covering, 30 of these are needed, they are to be longer, 30 cubits (about 45 ft. each, nearly 14 metres). Next are details of the sizes of the acacia wood frames [Exodus 26:15-29] and the need for bronze bases [Exodus 26:37]. The verse that particularly stood out was Exodus 26:30, “you shall erect the tabernacle according to the plan for it that you were shown on the mountain.”

Why all this meticulous attention to detail? It led us to ponder the words in the first chapter of the final book of the Bible, written when the Tabernacle and then the Temple were things of the past! The Apostle John says he “turned to see the voice that was speaking to me, and on turning I saw seven golden Lampstands, and in the midst of the Lampstands one like the son of man …” [Revelation 1:12,13] John is told “the seven Lampstands are the seven churches.” [Revelation 1:20]. The 7 churches, the assemblies of believers, are named and described in Revelation 2; 3. We see them as being representative of all the different types of assemblies of “saints” that have existed throughout the earth since that time. Each is told “I know thy works” because the Son of man was in the midst of them.

We recall Paul’s words to the Ephesian believers telling them they were “members of the household of God, built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus himself being the chief cornerstone, in whom the whole structure, being joined together, grows into a holy temple in the Lord.” [Ephesians 2:19-21]

Just as God oversaw the construction of a physical tabernacle in the wilderness, we see there is now a spiritual temple that he sees existing! Do we see it? Just as in Revelation John saw Jesus in the midst of the assemblies of believers who knew their works, so also Paul concludes his revelation of the true, but physically unseen state of things by writing, “In him you also are being built together into a dwelling place for God by the Spirit.” [Ephesians 2:22] Are we conscious of the builder? Are we co-operating with him? Moses is our example.

Tragically the majority of the people with Moses in the wilderness lost their vision of the spiritual reality behind the physical. Is not the same tragedy happening in today’s wilderness? “Who is on the Lord’s side?”

-------

- DC

16 February 2021

Exodus 27

Psalms 81; 82

Mark 12

"THE MOST IMPORTANT IS ... "

In Mark’s Gospel we read how Jesus told parables against the religious leaders with the result “they were seeking to arrest him but feared the people” [Mark 12:12]. After this, “some of the Pharisees and some of the Herodians” tried “to trap him in his talk” [Mark 12:13] with a question about whether “it is lawful to pay taxes to Caesar” [Mark 12:14]. Imagine the atmosphere that is building up!

Then the Sadducees, who do not believe in the resurrection, challenge him with a question and he tells them they “know neither the scriptures not the power of God.” [Mark 12:24] and he could say that to so many people today!

It is a surprise that in this atmosphere one individual scribe [Mark 12:28] comes to Jesus with a positive question about the most important commandment, and is told, “The most important is, ‘Hear O Israel; The Lord our God, the Lord is one. And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ The second is this; ‘You shall love your neighbour as yourself.’” [Mark 12:30,31] This scribe fully agrees and Jesus commends him saying, “You are not far from the kingdom of God” [Mark 12:34]

One lesson here is that Jesus is calling individuals – and we need to approach him as individuals. When a true and wonderful relationship starts to happen, then it is natural, indeed important, that we associate with others of like mind and so increase each others strength.

The other lesson is the nature of the love that is expressed in this most important commandment - it is expressed from four perspectives to illustrate the totality of commitment God is looking for. For some, it is easy to say to others, even to the point of glibness, “I love you”! The lesson here is that it is folly to have this spirit toward God, anything less than a total commitment means we are “far from the kingdom of God.”

-------

- DC

17 February 2021

Exodus 28

Psalms 83; 84

Mark 13

“STAY AWAKE”

These are the last 2 words in our reading today of Mark 13. They had their initial application to those who heard Jesus say them! Jerusalem and the Temple were destroyed in AD 70 and faithful believers who were spiritually awake heeded his words “flee to the mountains” [Mark 13:14] instead of staying in Jerusalem with its wonderful Temple, thinking it was impossible God would let the Temple and the Holy of Holies be destroyed.

Those who believed Jesus that “there will not be left one stone upon another that will not be thrown down” [Mark 13:2], did “stay awake”; they escaped from this destruction. But Jesus, after speaking at some length on this great tragedy then looks further into the future! It seems clear that while some of his words have an application to the destruction of Jerusalem, they also apply to an even greater time of trouble and destruction engulfing this time, the whole world.

Jesus speaks of a coming time of “tribulation as has not been from the beginning of creation that God created until now, and never will be” [Mark 13:19]. The Lord is to “cut short” those days, otherwise “no human being would be saved” [Mark 13:20]. Ponder the words which follow about how “after that tribulation, the sun will be darkened and the moon will not give its light and the stars will be falling …” [Mark 13:24,25]

Is this literal? It probably should be understood symbolically. Note Mark 13:31 where Jesus says, “Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away” which leads us to recall what Peter later wrote, “according to his promise we are waiting for new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells.” [2 Peter 3:13] We therefore understand that the collapse of all governments and human institutions is coming, occurring because of their total godlessness. Human “heavens” and systems will be overwhelmed by awesome events. When? Jesus says that even he does not know the day “only the father” [Mark 13:32] His next words are, “Be on your guard, keep awake” [Mark 13:33] which is emphasized in his final words in the chapter, “And what I say to you I say to all (us!): Stay awake.”

-------

- DC

18 February 2021

Exodus 29

Psalms 85; 86

Mark 14

"THIS IS WHAT YOU SHALL DO TO THEM TO CONSECRATE THEM"

We are reading in Exodus [Exodus 29] of the elaborate ritual needed to consecrate the High Priest, Aaron, also his sons. There is a lot of detail about the elaborate garments and head covering they need to wear and the ritual involved in sacrificing a ram and the use of its different body parts. We also read of the anointing oil and how it should be used. All this combined to make “a pleasing aroma before the LORD” [Exodus 29:25]. There is also “one loaf of bread … and one wafer out of the basket of unleavened bread that is before the LORD.” [Exodus 29:23]. If any of it “remains until morning then you shall burn the remainder of it with fire … because it is holy” [Exodus 29:34]

There is a big contrast in our reading in Mark [Mark 14] and the simple but most significant actions of Jesus - “as they were eating” Jesus simply “took bread and after blessing it broke it and gave it to them” saying “This is my body”. Next “he took the cup” and after giving thanks said “this is my blood of the covenant which is poured out for many” [Mark 14:22-24]

A simple act as part of a meal, no special dress or ceremony! This became a feature in the lives of the first believers, probably “on the first day of the week” [Acts 20:7], but there is no command as to which day, laws of this nature were entirely absent among the first believers. Paul simply details what “I received from the Lord” in 1 Corinthians 11:23-27, but it must be not be done “in an unworthy manner” [1 Corinthians 11:27] there must be self examination.

This thought takes our minds to our reading of David’s Psalm 86 today. “Incline your ear, O LORD, and answer me, for I am poor and needy. Preserve my life, for I am godly; save your servant who trusts in you – you are my God … For you, O Lord, are good and forgiving, abounding in steadfast love to all who call upon you.” [Psalm 86:1,2,5]

Then David looks to the future time, which is still future now, when “all nations you have made shall come and worship before you O Lord, and glorify your name.” [Psalm 86:9]. May we be there. Finally note his intimate personal thoughts of his relationship with God, such an example for us. “Teach me your way, O LORD, that I may walk in your truth; unite my heart to fear thy name. I give thanks to you, O Lord my God, with my whole heart” [Psalm 86:11,12]

-------

- DC

19 February 2021

Exodus 30
Psalms 87; 88
Mark 15; 16

THE ALTAR OF INCENSE

The first Christians did not use incense in their worship, it was only centuries later that it came into use, there is no reference to such use by believers by Jesus or the Apostles. However, there is an interesting spiritual application in the Psalms and in Revelation. Our thoughts on this were prompted by reading today about the small incense altar that Moses was commanded to make: less than a metre high and less than half a metre square, it was totally overlaid with gold and placed in front of the veil in front of the Mercy Seat in the Holy Place.

Aaron was to burn incense on it every evening “at twilight” as he lit the lamps and again in the morning [Exodus 30:1-8]. Imagine the atmosphere as the fragrance of the smouldering incense filled the Holy Place and filtered into the Holy of Holies. The incense was made of special ingredients and no one else was allowed to make anything similar, “whoever makes any like it to use as a perfume shall be cut off from his people” [Exodus 30:38] is the warning given after giving the details of its five ingredients [Exodus 30:34-36] and saying it was “pure and holy.”

When we come to read David’s Psalm 141 we must specially note his words, “Give ear to my voice when I call to you! Let my prayer be counted as incense before you, and the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice!” [Psalm 141:1-2].

What about our prayers?

Now note what is recorded in the book of Revelation when the seventh and final seal is opened. We read of an angel standing “at the altar with a golden censer, and he was given much incense to offer with the prayers of all the saints on the golden altar before the throne, and the smoke of the incense, with the prayers of the saints rose before God …” [Revelation 8:3-4] and in chapter 5 we read of the 24 elders falling down before the Lamb having “golden bowls full of incense which are the prayers of the saints.” [Revelation 5:8]

Prayer is a wonderful privilege; we must give the utmost thought to what we are doing and saying when we decide to pray – and the purpose of our prayer. Today’s Psalm [Psalm 88] of the sons of Korah is a prayer of desperation, “I, O LORD, cry to you; in the morning my prayer comes before you. O LORD, why do you cast my soul away?” [Psalm 88:13,14] We cast our minds back to what happened to Korah himself! [Numbers 16:24-40] May we all so learn to pray that we can come before the throne of grace with confidence. Read Hebrews 4:16
-------
- DC

20 February 2021

Exodus 31; 32

Psalms 89

1 Corinthians 1; 2

“UNITED IN THE SAME MIND”

Once again we have an overflow of challenging thoughts in today’s readings. Paul’s words particularly arrested our attention. “I appeal to you brothers by the name of our Lord that you be united in the same mind and the same judgment” [1 Corinthians 1:10-11]. This is essential among those who follow Christ, but in Corinth they were in disarray because they were following leaders. Paul stresses that the only way believers can be united is to follow Christ, and to do that they should seek to possess the “mind of Christ” [1 Corinthians 2:16] and Paul set them an example to follow.

“God is faithful,” writes Paul, “by whom you were called into the fellowship of his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord” [1 Corinthians 1:9] God is faithful to those who say they are committing their lives to him - and looks for faithfulness in response. A tragic example of failure is the situation we read today in Exodus 32: so utterly tragic after the people had witnessed so much evidence of the Divine presence at Mt. Sinai. We must accept the lessons in our daily reading of the Bible of how, after evidence of divine presence and blessings has been given, God may put people to the test to prove their faithfulness.

Paul writes about the challenge of “the cross” [1 Corinthians 1:18]. The message of “the cross is folly to those who are perishing.” The Corinthians had been attracted by the dynamics of the Christian movement and they “are not lacking in any spiritual gift” [1 Corinthians 1:7]. So many in Corinth wanted the experiences the church offered but failed to put their minds to understand that Paul “preached Christ crucified, a message that was “a stumbling block to the Jews and folly to the Gentiles” [1 Corinthians 1:23]

Paul’s understanding of God’s objective in his testing is this: “God chose what is low and despised in the world … so that no human being might boast in the presence of God.” [1 Corinthians 1:28-29] Where there is boasting and human ego, believers will never be united. So often in serving Christ, those seeking leadership, or looking for leaders to follow, are elevating men: this attitude destroys unity. Our unity that should be based, not on human wisdom, but on the wisdom that is from above (read James 3:17,18).

True wisdom is totally lacking in the world today in both material and spiritual things. We must recognise the influence of this on us and Paul’s message to the Corinthians is full of encouragement for them to develop spiritual vision, for “no eye has seen , nor ear heard, nor the heart of man imagined, what God has prepared for those who love him.” [1 Corinthians 2:9]

-------

- DC

21 February 2021

Exodus 33; 34

Psalms 90; 91

1 Corinthians 3

"I ... COULD NOT ADDRESS YOU AS SPIRITUAL PEOPLE"

Our 5 chapters today were intensely thought provoking. First, the utterly remarkable and challenging relationship of Moses (and the people through Moses) with the LORD (yhwh) who had delivered them from Egypt. Second, the Psalms of Moses, 90 and 91; “So teach us to number our days that we may get a heart of wisdom” [Psalm 90:12]: then noting the opening words of Psalm 91, “He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High … will say to the LORD, ‘My refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust’.” Moses is the ultimate Old Testament example of one who achieved an intimate relationship with God.

And now in Paul’s heart searching first letter to the Corinthians we read Paul’s distress at their minimal progress toward real spirituality – so parallel to Moses’ experience with the God’s nation in the wilderness. In chapter 2 we read, “The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he (or she) is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned” [1 Corinthians 2:14] and then chapter 3 starts, “But I, brothers (and sisters - footnote) could not address you as spiritual people, but as people of the flesh, as infants in Christ.” [1 Corinthians 3:1]

He deplores their lack of unity, their failure to see the need to team together under the guiding hand of Christ as he was doing. “I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the growth. So neither he who plants not he who waters is anything, but only God who gives the growth.” [1 Corinthians 3:6,7] He goes on to state, “For we are God’s fellow workers”[1 Corinthians 3:9]. Visualise that! As such we team together to build God’s spiritual house which is only seen by the “eyes” of those who have spiritual vision.

God laid “the foundation … which is Jesus Christ.” [1 Corinthians 3:11] “Let each one take care how he (or she) builds upon it” [1 Corinthians 3:10] whether it be “gold silver … hay, straw” then “the Day will disclose it, because it will be revealed by fire, and the fire will test what sort of work each one has done.” [1 Corinthians 3:13]

What does 1 Corinthians 3:15 mean? “If anyone’s work is burned up, he will suffer loss, though he (or she) … will be saved, but only as through fire.” What is our work? It is the same as Paul at Corinth, to witness, to bring people to Christ beginning with our children. The time appears to be very short; let us become more spiritual, more zealous to build – how close is God’s building to being completed!?

-------

- DC

22 February 2021

Exodus 35
Psalms 92; 93
1 Corinthians 4; 5

"IT IS ACTUALLY REPORTED THAT ... "

It is natural to wish that life in serving Christ, in the assembly of believers, should be all smooth. So it should be and can be - if the members are dedicated and possess a true spiritual vision. Daily Bible reading is a foundation factor in creating this. Our reading today of Paul’s admonition to the believers at Corinth contains an important lesson of the need to take action when it is necessary, but any action must be undertaken in love, just as when parents see it necessary to discipline their child – out of love for their child.

We read, “It is actually reported that there is sexual immorality among you, and of a kind that is not tolerated even among pagans, for a man has his father’s wife. And you are arrogant!” [1 Corinthians 5:1,2] It does not say his mother, so we presume she has died and this is his father’s second wife. Why were they arrogant? Had their broadmindedness created this? Such “pride” is growing in many parts of the world today, a spirit of permissiveness that all things that do not actually hurt someone else are allowable, many churches are becoming at least a little affected by this and appear pleased with their attitude.

Paul says, “Your boasting is not good. Do you not know that a little leaven leavens the whole lump?” [1 Corinthians 5:6] As a permissive spirit spreads it corrupts everything – just like rust. This was starting to happen among the believers in Corinth and Paul is very concerned about this and he says, “you are to deliver this man to Satan for the destruction of the flesh so that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord.” [1 Corinthians 5:5]

It is not clear what “to deliver” him means. In his 2nd letter to them Paul writes of how “a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to harass me, to keep me from being too elated” [2 Corinthians 12:7] Paul came to realize the positive side of this from God’s point of view and then wrote, “for the sake of Christ then, I am content with weaknesses … for when I am weak, then I am strong.” [2 Corinthians 12:10] What is the type of strength that really matters? It is brought about by situations that cause believers to really know and trust in their Lord.

As this world grows more godless, believers must stand firm by Christ’s principles, noting Paul words, “I am writing to you not to associate with anyone who bears the name of brother (or sister) if he is guilty of sexual immorality or greed, or is an idolater, reviler, drunkard, or swindler …” [1 Corinthians 5:11]. Note his words in his 2nd letter [2 Corinthians 2:2-8] and the good results that standing firm lead to in this case. Note also his words in Galatians 6:1
-------
- DC

23 February 2021

Exodus 36

Psalms 94; 95

1 Corinthians 6

"WHEN THE CARES OF MY HEART ARE MANY ... "

Psalm 94 contains many consoling and stimulating thoughts for us, especially for those who have to cope with the world and its unspiritual values most days of the week. This Psalm shows that our only sure strength of mind when life is difficult - is to have a real ‘living’ relationship with our God.

We read, “When the cares of my heart are many, your consolations cheer my soul” [Psalm 94:19] and “When I thought, ‘My foot slips,’ your steadfast love, O LORD, held me up.” [Psalm 94:18] What are God’s consolations? It has the sense of compassion and comfort. It reminds us of Paul’s words, “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” [Philippians 4:6,7]

When God answers the petition with which this Psalm begins we will need that attitude of mind in all its fullness. We read, “O LORD, God of vengeance, O God of vengeance shine forth! Rise up, O judge of the earth … O LORD …how long shall the wicked exult? They pour out their arrogant words …” [Psalm 94:1-4]

The Psalm concludes, “But the LORD has become my stronghold, and my God the rock of my refuge. He will bring back on them their iniquity and will wipe them out for their wickedness …” [Psalm 94:22,23] Psalm 95 is also our reading today. Let us meditate on Psalm 95:6-8, “Oh come, let us worship and bow down; let us kneel before the LORD, our Maker! For he is our God, and we are the people of his pasture, and the sheep of his hand. Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts …” We hear his voice by reading his word, let us make sure we “hear” what we are reading.

-------

- DC

24 February 2021

Exodus 37

Psalms 96; 97; 98; 99

1 Corinthians 7

"THE LORD REIGNS"

Our Psalms today are, in one sense prophetic and we can readily imagine them being sung in the kingdom age when Christ returns to reign from Jerusalem resulting in wonderful rejoicing among the faithful when righteous living is expected of all who are alive.

Until that time, Christ reigns in the hearts [Romans 6:6-8; John 14:23] of those who have a conviction of faith in this future and they will read these Psalms for inward rejoicing. “Worship the LORD in the splendour of holiness; tremble before him, all the earth! Say among the nations, ‘The LORD reigns!’” [Psalm 96:9,10] The Psalm ends, “… for he comes to judge the earth. He will judge the world in righteousness and the peoples in his faithfulness.”

Psalm 97 tells us that “righteousness and justice are the foundation of his throne” [Psalm 97:2] How literal is the indication in this Psalm of the way “justice” is dealt out to them who do not want him to reign over them? (Remember Jesus’ words – Luke 19:27) If the words in this Psalm are seen as symbolic, what are they symbolic of? We read “Fire goes before him and burns up his adversaries all around … the earth sees and trembles. The mountains melt like wax … the heavens proclaim his righteousness, and all the peoples see his glory” [Psalm 97:3-6]. There will be new heavens, which means, new rulers, the saints – recall what we read in the first 6 verses of Psalm 50.

We know of one mountain that is going to split in two – the mount of Olives [Zechariah 14:4]. There will be trembling among all those who do not believe in the one and only God that he has created them and all that exists – and others who, although they believe to some degree have failed to act on that belief. Psalm 97:10 tells us, “O you who love the LORD, hate evil. He preserves the lives of his saints; he delivers them …” Let us hate evil – and look in faith for his deliverance.

-------

- DC

25 February 2021

Exodus 38
Psalms 100; 101
1 Corinthians 8; 9

"IF ANYONE LOVES GOD, HE IS KNOWN BY GOD"

Love is, above all, an active quality; genuine love causes us to do things: it is a motivation from the heart. The things love causes us to do are not things we do out of a sense of obligation, occasions when we say, “I suppose I had better …”

We meditated on this as we read the start of 1 Corinthians 8. Verse 3 tells us, “But if anyone loves God, he (or she) is known by God.” [1 Corinthians 8:3]. When God, who sees all things through his spirit [Psalm 139] knows our professions of love for him are genuine - we are “known by God.” But this is more than a one sided sense of knowing, to truly know God results in a two-way relationship, David’s Psalms show this, we read this morning, “Know that the LORD, he is God! It is he who made us, and we are his” [Psalm 100:3]

We read a few days ago in Exodus, “Moses said to the LORD … you have said, ‘I know you by name … therefore if I have found favour in your sight, please show me now your ways, that I may know you …” [Exodus 33:12,13] Knowing God comes through living and therefore working for and with him and knowing his ways; there comes the wonder of the realization that we are “working together with him” [2 Corinthians 6:1].

One of the wonders of this, Paul told the Corinthians is to realize that “God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.” [1 Corinthians 10:13] Many believers in Corinth experienced temptations to continue to enjoy the fleshly advantages of “fellowship” in the idol temples and the feasting on the food that had been offered to the idols. In human ways of thinking this food was special having been blessed by Temple priests: we have seen this happening in Indian temples.

It is not difficult to see the modern equivalents, especially in prosperous countries in the things that the masses idolize. In Corinth athletic sports were idolized, it is no different today; the spectators idolize those who compete. Paul’s pointed comment is – “Every athlete exercises self control … they do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable” [1 Corinthians 9:25] He tells believers, “So run that you may obtain it … I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified.” [1 Corinthians 9:24,27] We can say that the ‘oil’ which ‘lubricates’ all our understanding and ways of thinking and resultant efforts to “run” effectively - is - our love for God and our awareness that we are “known” by God.
-------
- DC