TFTBR - February 2018

Resource Manager

01 February 2018

Exodus 5; 6

Psalms 58; 59

Romans 10; 11

"DO NOT BECOME PROUD, BUT STAND IN AWE"

It is fundamental to human nature, uninfluenced by God's Word, to become proud about what they are achieving. Paul makes this point strongly in Romans 11. He warns the Gentile converts not to follow the same path as did most leading Jews in their pride in their privileged position before God. He uses the analogy of an olive tree. We understand that the trunk of the tree was Abraham, Isaac and Jacob with the Jewish nation as the branches. 

Paul then makes the point to the Gentiles, that the natural "branches were broken off" so that you "might be grafted in" [Romans 11:19] adding, "they were broken off because of their unbelief, but you stand fast through faith. So do not become proud, but stand in awe" [Romans 11:20]. 

Tragically the Gentile branches have become proud and so many have been broken off or are in the process of dying. Observe the principle stated in Romans 11:22 "note then the kindness and the severity of God." It is tragic that so often all the emphasis is on the kindness and love of God as though he is purely a God of love, ever forgiving despite continuing sinfulness.  

Paul comments on the future of the natural branches, saying, if "they do not continue in unbelief" they "will be grafted in again, for God has the power to graft them in again," adding, "how much more will these, the natural branches, be grafted back into their own olive tree" [Romans 11:23-24]. Paul warns the Gentiles not to "be wise in your own conceits." The twin brother of pride is conceit! The thing "I want you to understand", he says, is that "a partial hardening has come upon Israel until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in" [Romans 11:25].  

We feel we are close to this "fullness" of time when the Gospel has reached every corner of the world "and then the end shall come" as we read in Matthew 24:14 last week. Let us "stand in awe" as we witness the fullness of time and pray we may remain grafted in – or be grafted in – if we are not yet part of God s olive tree. 

-------

- DC

02 February 2018

Exodus 7; 8

Psalms 60; 61

Romans 12

"DO NOT BE OVERCOME WITH EVIL, BUT OVERCOME EVIL WITH GOOD"

Evil threatens to overcome the world. Evil has always been present, sometimes violently so such as in the days of my youth when Adolf Hitler was in power. Massive force was used to overcome the evil he created. But today we read how Paul wrote, "Do not be overcome with evil, but overcome evil with good" [Romans 12:21]. How do you overcome evil with good?

Paul's message is about our personal response to evil, especially evil individuals. If we respond to anger with anger you know what can happen! In the book of Proverbs Solomon has given powerful advice. "A soft answer turns away wrath" [Proverbs 15:1] and "Hatred stirs up strife, but love covers all offences. On the lips of him who has understanding, wisdom is found … the wise lay up knowledge" [Proverbs 10:12-14].

Some of Christ's parables were developed from sayings in the Proverbs. Truly, God's word is the real source of knowing how to be good and wise in overcoming evil. The message of Christ and his followers is for individuals; it was never for nations; there never has been a "christian" nation. Paul wrote, "as far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all … never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God" [Romans 12:19]. 

Australia with all its blessings of prosperity has been called the "lucky country," but it has become more and more godless. Is it just coincidence that 9 years ago we had massive forest fires that destroyed entire towns and many people were burnt to death? Then 7 years ago we had huge floods covering much of the country, huge areas were covered, a great number of crops and livestock destroyed. 

What awaits us this year – the nation – and the world – is more ungodly than ever! The Psalms tell us, "frost and hail, snow and mist, stormy winds fulfilling his word" [Psalm 148:8]. Other countries in the world have suffered very extreme weather conditions. We are reading in Exodus of the LORD's control over the elements of nature that confounded the Egyptians. The real God of the Hebrews confounded the Gods that the Egyptians imagined to exists. And today? Man continues to learn the hard way – that it is perilous to ignore God. Let us not learn the hard way! Instead – the wonderful way laying the foundation by reading God's word every day. 

-------

- DC

03 February 2018

Exodus 9

Psalms 62; 63

Romans 13; 14

"... FULFILLING HIS WORD" 

The above is not quoted from our readings today, but from the verse in Psalm 148 that we quoted at the end of our thoughts yesterday. We recalled this today as we read of the encounters of Moses and Aaron with Pharaoh. Moses stated the words of God as to what God would do because of Pharaoh's refusal to "let my people go" [Exodus 9:2].

Pharaoh said what he would do as a result of the damage caused by the hail. "I and my people are in the wrong … I will let you go, and you shall stay no longer" [Exodus 9:27-28]. But the chapter ends with "… the heart of Pharaoh was hardened, and he did not let the people go …" 

So Pharaoh did not fulfil his word! 

Now we take special note of what God had previously told Moses to say to Pharaoh, "… this time I will send all my plagues on you yourself and on your servants and on your people so that you may know that there is none like me in all the earth. But for this purpose I have raised you up, to show you my power, so that my name may be proclaimed in all the earth" [Exodus 9:14,16].  

The proclaiming of God's name is that his reputation became known throughout the nations of the then known world. So God fulfilled his word! The Bible is full of examples of God fulfilling his word. It is fascinating to read the examples of God's word in Old Testament times about the coming of the Lord Jesus, first to "bring the good news to the poor … to proclaim the year of the Lord's favour" [isaiah 61:1-2] and then in the ultimate time, soon to be fulfilled, what will be wondrously achieved by the return of Christ when "the Lord GOD will cause righteousness and praise to sprout up before all the nations [isaiah 61:11].

God and his Son set the example for us; when we give our word, such as in marriage, or at the time of baptism, to fulfil the commitment we have made. 

Believers have been given God's words to keep; they, in a sense, fulfil his word by the way they live their lives. Look at the words of Jesus to his disciples in John 14:23. "If anyone loves me, he will keep my word, and my father will love him, and we will come and make our home with him." 

We possess the word of God; we read from it every day, it becomes part of us. May that happen so that - our hearts will never suffer hardening, as did the heart of Pharaoh. 

--------

- DC

04 February 2018

Exodus 10

Psalms 64; 65

Romans 15; 16

"... FILL YOU WITH ALL JOY AND PEACE IN BELIEVING" 

What fills us with joy and peace? What kind of joy? The frivolity which so many seek to fill their spare time is not at all the joy that Paul is writing about as he completes his letter to the Romans. It does not create "peace." The full context of his words are, "May the God of all hope fill you with joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope" [Romans 15:13].  

This world does not "abound in hope"! Their kind of joy has no lasting hope attached to it. Much of their "joy" seems to be a means of blotting out the sense of hopelessness in the meaning of their lives, there is nothing of substance they believe in.  

Earlier in the chapter Paul had made clear the kind of believing associated with "the joy and hope." He wrote, "whatever was written in former days was written for our instruction that through endurance and through the encouragement of the scriptures we might have hope" [Romans 15:4]. He is referring to the Old Testament, the encouragement they gave, the Psalms we are currently reading being an outstanding example. In Romans 15:9-12 Paul quotes from 4 different parts of the Old Testament; we must not neglect that part of the Bible, they were an inspiration to Paul as they had been to our Lord.

We must not misunderstand Paul's reference to the "power of the Holy Spirit" in the passage we quoted. Paul says it causes us to "abound in hope." In the previous chapter we read, "For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking but of righteousness, and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit" [Romans 14:17]. In its' leisure time our world focuses on "eating and drinking" but, for true believers, their "righteousness, peace and joy" comes from their constant sense – that "In him (God) we live and move and have our being" [Acts 17:28]. 

Paul was conscious of the all seeing eye of God, it had changed his life. David fully sensed God's total awareness of his life. In Psalm 139 we read, "O LORD, you have searched me and known me! … you discern my thoughts from afar …" [Psalm 139:1-2] and then exclaims, "Where shall I go from your Spirit?" [Psalm 139:7]. 

The word "power" – in the Greek dunamis, takes its meaning from its context, in Romans 1:16 Paul exclaimed, "I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to every one who believes." Let us really believe; may the true original gospel be a POWER in our minds as we absorb it through our daily reading of God's word.

-------

- DC

05 February 2018

Exodus 11; 12

Psalms 66; 67

Mark 1

"SHOUT FOR JOY TO GOD,  ALL THE EARTH"

The Psalms are often very personal. We read today of the great things God has done – and will yet do. The more we are conscious of God, the more we should have the heart felt desire to serve him and that, that service should be the very best of which we are capable. It is those who have no real consciousness of the all seeing eye of God who cherish thoughts of sinful ways in their thinking and seem blind to the weaknesses in their character.

Today we read Psalm 66. Remember the Psalms are the Hymn Book of Ancient Israel. Most were designed to be sung in the Temple, so imagine singing this in the Temple Solomon built. “I will come into your house with burnt offerings; I will perform my vows to you, that which my lips uttered and my mouth promised when I was in trouble … Come and hear, all you who fear God, and I will tell what he has done for my soul … If I had cherished iniquity in my heart, the Lord would not have listened. But God truly has listened; he has attended to the voice of my prayer.” [Psalm 66:13,14,16,18,19]

God knows whether we are genuine – even more than we might sometimes be prepared to admit to ourselves. Recall how Jesus, when he was in the temple, taught them “saying to them, “Is it not written, ‘My house shall be called a house of prayer for all nations.” [Mark 11:17] That time is now near and those who do not cherish iniquity in their hearts will be there and experience the reality of the opening words of this Psalm!

“Shout for joy to God, all the earth; sing the glory of his name; give to him glorious praise! Say to God, ‘How awesome are your deeds! So great is your power that your enemies come cringing to you. All the earth worships you and sings praises to you …” [Psalm 66:1-4]

May we be there to sing and offer endless praise.

-------

- DC 

06 February 2018

Exodus 13; 14

Psalms 68

Mark 2

"BLESSED BE THE LORD WHO DAILY BEARS US UP"

There are interesting parallels between our two Old Testament readings today. Exodus 13; 14 describe the drama of the Israelites' escape from Egypt. We noted the fear they had when the Egyptians started pursuing them and Moses reassurance that the LORD was in control, they must "Fear not and stand firm" [Exodus 14:13]; their God would complete their deliverance and, in doing so, make a "name" for himself.  

Psalm 68 gives us David's perceptions of how God arises and so enemies are scattered and those who hate God flee before him [Psalm 68:1] which is what happened to Pharaoh's armies. That David's words are somewhat inspired by these events is plain from Psalm 68:7. "O God, when you went out before your people, when you marched through the wilderness … the heaven poured down rain, before God, tthe one of Sinai, before God, the God of Israel."

Then we noted how David had also reflected on situations with individuals, how God watches over them as "Father of the fatherless and protector of widows … God settles the solitary in a home" [Psalm 68:5-6] David would think of the times he was alone when fleeing from Saul, his anxieties of mind, but, ultimately, the realization of God's protection. Moses could well have had similar thoughts at times in the 40 years before he encountered God at the burning bush. 

So David is thinking of himself and other individuals when he writes, "Blessed be the Lord, who daily bears us up; God is our salvation" [Psalm 68:19] The Lord Jesus also experienced this, the disciples had little ability to bear him up and so, at times, he retreated to the mountains alone as we will read in a few days time [Mark 6:46].  

The ultimate time was in Gethsemane before his arrest, "Could you not watch one hour?" followed by special personal advice, "Watch and pray that you may not enter into temptation" [Mark 14:37]. As we daily read the Bible – it should have the effect of bringing us closer to God – and as we do this we will sense more and more how he "daily bears us up." 

-------

- DC

07 February 2018

Exodus 15

Psalms 69

Mark 3

"... MAGNIFY HIM WITH THANKSGIVING" 

Is there an attitude of thankfulness for all the blessings we have today? In most countries there is ample food and clothing, especially in Australia where there is an abundance of everything we could possibly require and many things we do not need! It is such a contrast to the time we were young ­ during the war and for years after the awesomely destructive 1939-45 war. But now there is more than plenty of everything ­ how many are thankful?

We have to say that a thankful spirit is rarely seen, instead the spirit is to seek more and more, especially money ­ and look for someone to blame (usually the Government) when it is lacking. This is a line of thinking that occurred to us as we read David's Psalm 69, written at a difficult time of his life, despairing of "those who hate me without a cause" [Psalm 69:4].

David saw many who lacked any love for God and he says to God, "the reproaches of those who reproached you have fallen on me" [Psalm 69:9]. Parts of the Psalm become a prophecy of the experiences of his "greater son" Jesus, "I looked for pity, but there was none … for my thirst they gave me sour wine to drink" [Psalm 69:20-21].  

Of those who showed no pity, David wrote, "Let them be blotted out of the book of the living" [Psalm 69:28] and sadly that, we fear, will also be the lot of all those who do not have the spirit of thankfulness, but instead take everything, as their "right" to possess.

The Psalm starts to reach its climax as David writes, "let your salvation, O God set me on high! I will praise the name of God with a song; I will magnify him with thanksgiving" [Psalm 69:29-30].  

We saw a direct parallel to this in our Exodus reading [Exodus 15] when "Moses and the people of Israel sang this song to the LORD" [Exodus 15:1]. What a wonderful song of thanksgiving, "I will sing to the LORD … he has become my salvation I will praise him … I will exalt him" [Exodus 15:2].

Sadly, as we read on in Exodus we are going to see how the great majority failed to maintain their thankfulness and confidence in God. In Exodus 15:26 we read that the LORD said to them, "If you will diligently listen to the voice of the LORD your God and do that which is right in his eyes" [Exodus 15:26].  

Today, we can say, if we will diligently read the word God has caused to written and preserved - and believe and live in a way that shows we believe ­ then ­ yes then, what a wonderful future will ll be ours. He will "magnify" us: think of the Scriptures which forecast this! 

A heart stirring example is to be seen in Isaiah 55:3 "Incline your ear, and come to me; hear, (read) that your soul may live; and I will make with you an everlasting covenant, my steadfast, sure love for David." 

Finally, let us specially heed Isaiah 55:6 "Seek the LORD while he may be found; call upon him while he is near …" then the verses which follow ­ and "magnify him with thanksgiving."

-------

- DC

08 February 2018

Exodus 16

Psalms 70; 71

Mark 4 

"MY MOUTH IS FILLED WITH …"

We have a particularly inspiring set of readings today ­ in that they challenge our personal attitudes and ways of living in our godless world. Mark's gospel has several of the challenging parables of our Lord: does our familiarity with them reduce their challenge to our hearts? 

Let's look carefully at Exodus. In Exodus 16 we read of the complaints of the people, now travelling in the wilderness, at the lack of food. Their miraculous deliverance from Egypt should have stimulated their faith!  What is stimulating our faith? Can we give a specific answer?

We read of the miraculous provision of manna. Before it is provided they are told "in the morning you shall see the glory of the LORD" [Exodus 16:7] We ourselves are travelling in a desert, but it is 'food' for the mind that is lacking - people are looking in the wrong places in their search to know the meaning and their lives. They do not see "the glory of the LORD" as we do ­ for it is revealed in His word. 

They will not "see" it until "the morning" of Christ's return - and how utterly terrified they will be! We read in Isaiah 2:21 that people will "enter the caverns of the rocks and the clefts of the cliffs, from before the terror of the LORD, and from the splendour of his majesty …." And ourselves? We will be eagerly (desperately?) looking for the angels to come "and gather his elect" as we will soon read in Mark 13:27.

In Psalm 71 we have the final Psalm of the large group attributed to David: he sets us an example by declaring, "My mouth is filled with your praise, and with your glory all the day" [Psalm 71:8]. May we do the same - but this is not just seen in words, but in the attitudes our words lead us develop so that we constantly sense that "In him we live and move and have our being" [Acts 17:28]. We must constantly act and speak in ways which show this. 

The next verse in our Psalm can be a personal prayer and petition for many of us - indeed it will apply to all - unless Jesus returns in their (our) lifetime. David says to the Lord, "Do not cast me off in the time of old age; forsake me not when my strength is spent." May we follow the example of David and say, "I will hope continually and will praise you yet more and more. My mouth will tell of your righteous acts, of your deeds of salvation all the day ..." [Psalm 71:15] Many of us have facilities for doing this that previous generations never had. However, we can only really "tell" of God's deeds if we are reading and absorbing God's word every day - and then it will be fully true when we say, "My mouth is filled with your praise, and with your glory all the day." 

-------

DC

09 February 2018

Exodus 17; 18

Psalms 72

Mark 5 

"MAY THE WHOLE EARTH BE FILLED WITH …" 

Today, we read the inspiring vision of the future contained in Psalm 72. Now, David's primary vision in writing it, was for his son Solomon's' reign. It starts, "Give the king your justice, O God." We can read this Psalm - and see both a short range and a long range, even eternal application in it ­ to when human justice - or rather, injustice, will be a thing of the past, it will fade from the memory of those privileged to live under this kings' justice and take part in administering it.

This Psalm is a wonderful vision of the reign of Christ. As king he will "have dominion from sea to sea, and from the River to the ends of the earth!" [Psalm 72:8] "May all kings fall down before him, all nations serve him!" [Psalm 72:11] He will have "pity on the weak and the needy" [Psalm 72:13], which our world struggles, most ineffectually, to do today.

We will read words which fascinate us - of God's vision for the future - tomorrow - in Exodus 19. This was God's initial vision for Israel's role, Moses told them; "if you will indeed obey my voice and keep my covenant, you shall be my treasured possession among all peoples, for all the earth is mine; and you shall be to me a kingdom of priests ..." [Exodus 19:5-6]. Natural Israel failed, but Peter wrote, describing the future of spiritual Israel, our future if we are faithful members! "You ... are being built up as a spiritual house, to be a holy priesthood ... a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvellous light" [1 Peter 2:5,9]. Do we feel the building up process going on now? We should! Can we visualise proclaiming "the excellencies" of our king!?

Back in Psalm 72, let us spiritually marvel at David's prayer and vision about the climax of the kingdom, "May his name endure forever, his fame continue as long as the sun! May people be blessed in him, all nations call him blessed! .... Blessed be his glorious name forever; may the whole earth be filled with his glory! Amen and Amen!" [Psalm 72:17,19] Surely this was God's vision of the ultimate future at the beginning of his creation, may we seek to share his vision ­ can we begin to imagine the whole earth … filled with his glory? May we pray every day - ever more earnestly ­ that, by his grace, we will be there and take an eternal part in it. 

-------

- DC

10 February 2018

Exodus 19; 20

Psalms 73

Mark 6  

"GOD HAS COME TO TEST YOU, THAT …" 

Almost 2 months elapsed after the people of Israel escaped from Egypt and now "they came into the wilderness of Sinai" [Exodus 19:2] and encamped "before the mountain" [Exodus 19:2] - not any mountain!  Most dramatic events followed! We should take special notice of what Moses is told by the LORD to tell the people. 

"You yourselves have seen what I did to the Egyptians, and how I bore you on eagle's wings and brought you to myself. Now therefore, if you will indeed obey my voice and keep my covenant, you shall be my treasured possession among all peoples … you shall be to me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation" [Exodus 19:4-6]. Note that powerful little word IF.

The reaction of the people was very good – to begin with. We read "All the people answered together and said, 'All that the LORD has spoken we will do'" [Exodus 19:8]. The Mountain before them is the holy mountain; the presence of the Lord is there. "There were thunders and lightnings and a thick cloud on the mountain and a very loud trumpet blast so that all the people in the camp trembled" [Exodus 19:16].

The mountain "was wrapped in smoke because the LORD descended on it in fire" [Exodus 19:18]. 

What an utterly awesome experience! "The people were afraid and trembled … Moses said … do not fear, for God has come to test you, that the fear (awe) of him may be before you, that you may not sin" [Exodus 20:20]. 

Today we cannot come to the mountain of God, but we can come to His word and meditate upon the many wonders it reveals and the intimacy of its personal message, as in the Psalms. But we have to do some searching, like those who search for gold. The discovery of that "gold" is seen in the affect the reading of God's word starts to have so that human sinful attitudes will attract us less and less and we turn away from Godless behaviour, so much of TV disgusts us. What effect did the close encounter with God have on the Israelites? They should forget the ungodliness of Egypt. They did, but the affect soon faded with most of them.

The ultimate destiny of the people was to become a "kingdom of priests" to the rest of the world, with the Levites the initial role models. As we read on we will see the wide ranging duties of a priest. This could surprise us, for their role included being administrators, doctors, policemen and the like. The final book of the Bible reveals that true followers of Jesus, the ones that God accepts, will one day become a Kingdom of Priests!

The book of Revelation starts by telling believers that Christ has "made us a kingdom, priests to his God and Father …" [Revelation 1:6]. With that prospect let us make sure we sense God's testing in our lives – and prepare for a final testing as this world is awed by events such as it has never experienced before – may our faith endure to the end (see Matthew 10:22 "The one who endures to the end will be saved").

-------

- DC

11 February 2018

Exodus 21

Psalms 74

Mark 7 

"IN VAIN DO THEY WORSHIP ME"

There are many different kinds of worship in our world, many beliefs as to what God is – so many gods of human imagination! We know from experience that some/many of the young generation in India , treat the "gods" in the Temples as a 'joke" – and the feasts, especially "Puja" as just a fun time – comparable to our Christmas!

As we reflect on this and how it is all very sad – we recall what the one true God, the Creator, said through Jeremiah! "The prophets prophesy falsely, and the priests rule at their direction; my people love to have it so, but what will you do when the end comes?" [Jeremiah 5:31]. 

The most tragic situation to be seen at the present to - is the effect of their beliefs on the minds of the adherents' of Islam! Their "prophets prophesy falsely" that they will gain immediate entry into paradise when they undertake suicide missions that kill the enemies of Islam, as they see them. Our thoughts 'wandered' along these lines after we read the words of Jesus in Mark 7. We noted the attitude of the Pharisees when "they saw that some of his disciples ate with hands that were defiled, that is, unwashed" [Mark 7:2]. Jesus said that their attitude was a fulfilment of Isaiah's prophecy, "it is written, 'This people honours me with their lips, but their heart is far from me; in vain do they worship me, teaching as doctrines the commandments of men'" [Mark 7:6-7].

This perception is so applicable to today "In vain do they worship" God as they imagine him to be! This applies, sadly, to a whole range of situations in our world - it is a distorted view of God - one largely - or entirely - of their own imagination.  It is so parallel to what Jesus told the Pharisees, "You have a fine way of rejecting the commandment of God in order to establish your tradition!" [Mark 7:9].

The verses which follow indicate Jesus' criticism of the way the Pharisees manipulated the application of the Mosaic law in order to avoid their responsibility toward their parents in their old age. Most of us are blessed to live in countries in which the Government largely provides accommodation and support for the elderly and those genuinely in need. 

But so many people take this for granted – there is no faith or belief involved! But we can say "in vain do they" believe there is NO God! We must not let this influence us.  

It is, as Paul told the Thessalonians, "all wicked deception for those who are perishing, because they refused to love the truth and so be saved." [2 Thessalonians 2:10] Let us make sure we do not "worship" our Creator "in vain." Let us read his Scriptures daily and, as a result, "know that we are of the truth and reassure our hearts before him" [1 John 3:19].

-------

- DC

12 February 2018

Exodus 22

Psalms 75; 76

Mark 8

"DO YOU NOT REMEMBER?" 

The disciples of Jesus were in training – but they did not realize this! Do we?  

Jesus spoke in parables and his disciples, most of all, were expected to grow in their ability to sense their meaning and lesson. In today's chapter in Mark [Mark 8] they go in a boat to the other side of Galilee but "they had forgotten to take bread … and Jesus cautioned them saying, 'Watch out; beware of the leaven of the Pharisees' …" [Mark 8:14-15].

They do not understand his meaning and "began discussing with one another the fact they had no bread" [Mark 8:16]. Jesus reproves them for their lack of perception in spite of previous experiences. 

"Do you not yet perceive or understand? Are your hearts hardened? Having eyes do you not see, and having ears do you not hear? And do you not remember?" [Mark 8:17-18]. 

He then reminds them of the feeding of the five thousand followed by the 4 thousand to make the point that the lack of literal bread was not the problem – it was "the leaven" of the teaching and attitudes of the Pharisees they had to beware of and watch out for. What damage that would cause if attitudes developed in the disciples. The spirit such attitudes would produce would destroy any chance of faith being able to grow. The Pharisees were "lifted up" by their position before men; their glory was in their self-importance! 

The place where this "leaven" had the potential to grow was in the hearts of the disciples, it was latent there as we will see in the next chapter when Jesus challenges them "for on the way they had argued with one another about who was the greatest" [Mark 9:34]. Today's chapter tells us that Jesus "called the crowd with his disciples and said to them, 'If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me'" [Mark 8:34]. There is no intention to do any cross bearing in the hearts of those who are full of self-importance!

Making our faith evident to others - in this ever more sinful world - is one way we can create for ourselves a "cross" or two to bear – let us really mark Jesus' words, "whoever is ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, of him (or her) will the Son of Man be ashamed when he comes in glory …" [Mark 8:38]. 

Let us remember the down to earth lessons Jesus taught and become, if we are not already, dedicated disciples who listen (read) his words and perceive what he really means and make them part of our daily thinking and resultant actions. 

-------

- DC

13 February 2018

Exodus 23

Psalms 77

Mark 9  

"I BELIEVE, HELP MY UNBELIEF"

What did Jesus mean when he said, "All things are possible for one who believes" [Mark 9:23]. His remark was made in the context of some of his disciples failing to heal a boy who was suffering from what we would call today, epilepsy.  

Jesus had been away with his 3 most intimate disciples – his remarkable transfiguration had taken place in their presence on the mountain. In the meantime his remaining disciples had attracted "a great crowd around them" [Mark 9:14] because a man brought his epileptic son in the hope of a healing. He tells Jesus, "I asked your disciples to cast it out, but they were not able" [Mark 9:18]. He then asks Jesus, "if you can do anything, have compassion on us and help us" [Mark 9:22]. Jesus responds, "'All things are possible for one who believes.' The father cries out, 'I believe, help my unbelief!'" [Mark 9:24]. Jesus then heals the boy.  

The father's cry is one we can resonate with - it seems inevitable there is a limit to our total conviction of faith. The disciples who failed to heal, later "asked him privately, 'Why could we not cast it out?' And he said to them, 'This kind cannot be driven out by anything but prayer'" [Mark 9:28-29].  

They had reason to believe they could heal, we presume, because Jesus earlier "gave them authority" [Mark 6:7] to heal and had sent "them out two by two" to preach and heal and they were successful [Mark 6:13].  

After Jesus ascended to heaven, miraculous gifts were given at Pentecost, initially to the disciples. But, wrote Paul, "they will pass away" [1 Corinthians 13:8] - however 3 things will remain, "faith hope and love abide, these three" [1 Corinthians 13:13]. In the end only one will abide – love – “ because faith and hope will be fulfilled. 

It is James in his letter who makes the vital point that "the prayer of faith will save the sick" [James 5:15] and "the prayer of a righteous person has great power in its working" [James 5:16]. James gives Elijah as an example. The ESV gives an alternative translation in a footnote. "The effective prayer of a righteous person has great power …" This is parallel to the wording in the AV.

Meditating on the father's plea (as in our heading) how many times, in desperate situations, have we expressed similar words? Answered prayers are wonderful. Yet, overriding all our prayers is the example of Jesus in his prayers in the garden of Gethsemane, "My Father, if it be possible let … Nevertheless, not as I will, but as you will" [Matthew 26:39].  

Have we not all expressed the frantic father's prayer, "I believe, help my unbelief" at some stage in our lives? The end result of our times of trauma, although maybe not immediate, is to sense we are closer to God; that his presence is more real to us and we receive "help" which on some occasions is quite miraculous. 

-------

- DC

14 February 2018

Exodus 24; 25

Psalms 78

Mark 10

"BUT IT SHALL NOT BE SO AMONG YOU" 

We read today how two disciples of Jesus, the brothers James and John, created dissension by asking, "Grant us to sit, one on your right hand and one on your left, in your glory" [Mark 10:37]. "When the ten heard it, they began to be indignant …" [Mark 10:41] causing Jesus to say to them, "You know that those who are considered rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their great ones exercise authority over them. But it shall not be so among you, but whoever would be great among you must be your servant, and whoever would be first among you must be slave of all" [Mark 10:42-44].

We look out on a world where there is endless trouble in some countries, indeed tensions in all countries including this country, as to who will be leader or remain leader and exercise authority. Israel's neighbours, frequently have conflicts of leadership. We also look at the religious world and it is the same, although the dissensions are usually kept under cover. Human organisations operate like a pyramid, the Pope and the papal organisation is a prime example of what Jesus said, "… their great ones exercise authority" [Mark 10:42].

How can it be different to this? Subsequent events show how, for the disciples, it was! Their failure of faith at the arrest and death of their Lord humbled them and the book of Acts includes powerful examples of their subsequent teamwork. Their final lesson had been at the last supper when they again disputed "which of them was to be regarded as the greatest" [Luke 22:24] leading Jesus to make the point, "I am among you as one who serves" [Luke 22:27] as the vital role to take. This became the inspiration to their subsequent teamwork. 

It was one of the lessons the Israelites in the wilderness had to learn in a painful way and it was only the youngest generation who entered the promised land under Joshua who learnt it. 

In following Jesus let us not look primarily for all the benefits, like the people were doing in following Moses in the wilderness? What a mistake – how they suffered because of it! A tragedy. Let us make sure we are among those who serve, most of all serving our Lord, showing this by the way we each other.

-------

- DC

15 February 2018

Exodus 26

Psalms 79; 80

Mark 11 

"BELIEVE THAT YOU HAVE RECEIVED ..." 

There is a puzzling statement by Jesus in today's chapter of Mark [Mark 11]. Jesus makes a triumphant entry into Jerusalem creating much speculation. He curses a fig tree and it withers; Peter expresses astonishment when they see it the next morning [Mark 11:21]. God's fig tree [Joel 1:7] was to dramatically wither in that generation.

In response to Peter, Jesus simply says, "Have faith in God" [Mark 11:22]. And what a great measure of faith by the faithful was needed as the terrible events Jesus predicted unfolded in and around Jerusalem in that generation.

Now, looking at our situation in 2018, what a great measure of faith will be needed amongst us as our world starts falling apart. Jesus foretold that God, would bring on the world a time of "such tribulation as has not been from the beginning of the creation that God created until now, and never will be. And if the Lord had not cut short the days, no human being would be saved. But for the sake of the elect … he shortened the days."

These are words, expressed in the "tense" of God's time and we will read them this Saturday in from Mark 13:19 on. One day – maybe soon – we will l read them with a sense of awed anticipation - mixed with fear – we must then make sure we remember Jesus' simple but so meaningful answer to Peter, "Have faith in God."

Next we notice another strange statement by Jesus, "I tell you, whatever you ask in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours" [Mark 11:24] Is the tense wrong here – "you have received" in the past tense? No, the Greek tense, by all accounts is in the past tense, so what does Jesus mean? We conclude he is saying - look at the things you have asked and received in the past! For us, this is both personal and the prophecies we have now seen to be fulfilled and, as a result, we pray with confidence convinced God is in control and he will continue to act. 

Finally we noted how the next verse tells us to make sure "whenever you stand praying, forgive if you have anything against anyone, so that your Father also who is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses." There will be an even greater need for believers to be in harmony and to "stand praying" – and in every other posture - as our world starts to fall apart – and maybe this year – 70 years after Israel was restored as a nation.  

The Greek word does not mean "stand" in the physical sense, it is the only time this word occurs in the Gospels, but Paul uses it 7 times. Two examples: "Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong" [1 Corinthians 16:13] and "I may hear of you … that you are standing firm in one spirit, with one mind striving side by side for the faith …" [Philippians 1:27]. Let us all be certain that our prayers will be answered because we have past experiences to build upon and we will therefore "stand firm in the faith."

-------

- DC

16 February 2018

Exodus 27

Psalms 81; 82

Mark 12 

"THE MOST IMPORTANT IS ..."

In Mark's Gospel we read how Jesus told parables against the religious leaders with the result "they were seeking to arrest him but feared the people" [Mark 12:12]. After this, some of the Pharisees and some of the Herodian's tried "to trap him in his talk" [Mark 12:13] with a question about whether "it is lawful to pay taxes to Caesar" [Mark 12:14]. Imagine the atmosphere that was starting to build up!  

Then the Sadducees, who do not believe in the resurrection, challenge him with a question and he tells them they "know neither the scriptures nor the power of God" [Mark 12:24]. Surely that could be said that of nearly all people alive today!?  

It is a surprise that in this atmosphere one individual scribe [Mark 12:28] comes to Jesus with a positive question about the most important commandment, and is told, "The most important is, Hear O Israel; The Lord our God, the Lord is one. And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength. The second is this; You shall love your neighbour as yourself" [Mark 12:30-31]. This scribe fully agrees and Jesus commends him saying, "You are not far from the kingdom of God" [Mark 12:34]. 

One lesson here is that Jesus is calling individuals – and we need to approach him as individuals. When a true and wonderful relationship starts to happen, then it is natural, indeed important, that we associate with others of like mind and so increase each other's strength of heart, soul, mind and strength – of character.

The other lesson is the nature of the love that is expressed in this most important commandment - it is expressed in these four perspectives to illustrate the totality of commitment God is looking for. For some, it is easy to say to others, even to the point of glibness, "I love you"!  

The lesson here is that it is folly to have this spirit toward God. Anything less than total commitment means we are "far from the kingdom of God." 

-------

- DC

17 February 2018

Exodus 28

Psalms 83; 84

Mark 13

"IN WHOSE HEART ARE THE HIGHWAYS TO ZION"

Today we travel on highways, freeways and motorways. Different countries call them different names. These allow us to travel at speed to our destinations.

Our thoughts "raced" along these lines as we read Psalm 84 and the words he addressed to God, "Blessed are those whose strength is in you and in whose heart are the highways to Zion" [Psalm 84:5]. Let us all create a "highway" in our heart for godly thoughts and then the distractions of this godless world can be more easily brushed aside. The Psalmist continues, "They go from strength to strength, each one appears before God in Zion" [Psalm 84:7].  

This is an exhilarating picture of strength that grows in those who have developed the right kind of highway in their hearts! They will reach a wonderful eternal destination, one far beyond our imagining.

Sadly we see around us, more and more examples of those who have developed the wrong kind of highways in their hearts. Virtually as bad are those who try to maintain two kind of highways! One makes more noise than the other – and so ends up getting more and more use!  

We notice the humble ambition of the Psalmist. "I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of wickedness" [Psalm 84:10]. Some we know, in their youth, have had great ambitions for their lives, but sadly we hear and read too many examples of those who sacrifice principles and integrity in their efforts to achieve them. They will realize, probably too late, that their highway has really been directed toward Mammon instead of toward Zion. 

But the Psalmist would rather be a doorkeeper! And what a privilege that would be! Imagine being a doorkeeper in God's house of prayer for all nations [Mark 11:17]. What experiences! What a privilege! 

Finally, let us absorb the meaning of the words that are used to end this Psalm. "… the LORD is a sun and a shield; the LORD bestows favour and honour. No good thing does he withhold from those who walk uprightly. O LORD of hosts, blessed is the one who trusts in you [Psalm 84:11-12]. 

Can you feel the warmth of the Sun and the protection of the Shield the Lord provides? Let us feed constantly on his word, it will provide the motive force for our hearts are on the right "highways" as we head towards Zion – and how much more will this be needed as that destination gets closer – but the distractions grow ever greater!

-------

- DC

18 February 2018

Exodus 29
Psalms 85; 86
Mark 14  

"INCLINE YOUR EAR ..."

Today we read a most moving and personal prayer of David. It begins, “Incline your ear, O LORD, and answer me, for I am poor and needy. Preserve my life for I am godly.” [Psalm 86] Can we pray as David did? But in what sense are we poor and needy? Many might say this today, but not mean it in the sense we think David did, In his prayer he said, “O God, insolent men have risen up against me; a band of ruthless men seek my life, they do not set you before them.” [Psalm 86:14]

In this the experiences of “the son of David,” our Lord are parallel; we read today in Mark 14 of his arrest when Judas Iscariot, under the cloak of darkness, led “a crowd with swords and clubs” [Mark 14:43] in betraying him. The disciples fled, but the time was to come when their eyes were opened to the meaning of it all and their lack of faith was forgiven.

It would be then that Psalms such as this one would be most meaningful to them – as they are, or should be, to us. “For you, O Lord, are good and forgiving, abounding in steadfast love to all who call upon you. Give ear, O LORD, to my prayer; listen to my plea for grace.” [Psalm 86:5,6] Psalm 86:11 has a special appeal, “Teach me your way O LORD, that I may walk in your truth; unite my heart to fear your name.”

How often does our heart experience a sense of discord – the world’s values and desires pull one way – and divine thoughts pull another! Tragically some give up reading the Bible to avoid feeling this discord.

Does the Bible seem unreal in this modern world? Many have that feeling. Well, think, do the attitudes in the world seem real – in the sense of having a purpose and direction for the future? Paul wrote of the attitudes in his day, “ … they did not honour him as God, but became futile in their thinking and their foolish hearts were darkened.” [Romans 1:21] In contrast, may we say with David, “I give thanks to you, O Lord my God, with my whole heart …” [Psalm 86:12]
-------
- DC

19 February 2018

Exodus 30

Psalms 87; 88

Mark 15; 16 

"DO NOT BE ALARMED … TREMBLING AND ASTONISHMENT"

Today we completed reading the gospel of Mark. As with all the gospels, the death and resurrection of our Lord is its' crowning message. While he is on the cross there are mockers, in particular "the chief priests with the scribes mocked him to one another, saying, 'He saved others; he cannot save himself. Let the Christ, the King of Israel, come down now from the cross that we may see and believe'" [Mark 15:31-32]. 

We can see a comparison with today – there are many who mock at any suggestion that Christ will return. One of the facts of history that provides one of the rocks on which we base our faith is how Roman historians of the 2nd century reflect the impact of original Christianity on their culture and it "turned the(ir) world upside down" [Acts 17:6]. Sadly succeeding generations, in the centuries that followed, corrupted the message - but then when printing was invented and gospels such as Mark's became available for all to read - a 'reformation' led to the original gospel being rediscovered - although there were 'inquisitions' that tried to destroy those accepting it. 

Sadly, today, this has been largely swamped by modern attitudes and pride in human inventions and 'knowledge.' But this shows the significance of the question Jesus posed, "when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on earth?" [Luke 18:8]. Let us make every effort to build up our understanding and resultant faith - so that He will "find faith"!

Looking into the last chapter of Mark's gospel, we try to imagine the scene - and the heart challenging feelings of those who came first to the tomb. This, we suggest, has a comparison with feelings we, if we are still alive, and fellow believers will have - when it is evident Jesus is returning!  

"And entering the tomb, they saw a young man" (Matthew's gospel says "an angel") who says, "Do not be alarmed. You seek Jesus of Nazareth, who was crucified. He has risen; he is not here. See the place where they laid him" [Mark 16:5-6]. But, "they went out and fled ... for trembling and astonishment had seized them ..." [Mark 16:8]. 

What kind of reaction will "seize" us when it is evident Jesus is returning - and - as we read in Mark 13, "the powers in the heavens (are)… shaken ... And then he will send out the angels and gather his elect ..." [Mark 13:25,27]. Is it not likely we will also be "trembling" but will then hear a voice saying, "Do not be alarmed." 

-------

- DC

20 February 2018

Exodus 31; 32

Psalms 89

1 Corinthians 1; 2

"UNITED IN THE SAME MIND" 

Once again we have an overflow of challenging thoughts in today's readings. Paul's words particularly arrested our attention. "I appeal to you brothers by the name of our Lord that you be united in the same mind and the same judgment" [1 Corinthians 1:10-11].  

This is essential among those who follow Christ, but in Corinth they were in disarray because they were following leaders. Paul stresses that the only way believers can be united is to follow Christ, and to do that they should seek to possess the "mind of Christ" [1 Corinthians 2:16] and Paul set them an example to follow.

"God is faithful," writes Paul, "by whom you were called into the fellowship of his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord" [1 Corinthians 1:9]. God is faithful to those who say they are committing their lives to him - and looks for faithfulness in response. A tragic example of failure is the situation we read today in Exodus 32: so utterly tragic after the people had witnessed so much evidence of the Divine presence at Mt. Sinai. We must accept the lessons in our daily reading of the Bible of how, after evidence of divine presence and blessings has been given, God may put people to the test to prove their faithfulness. 

Paul writes about the challenge of "the cross" [1 Corinthians 1:18]. The message of "the cross is folly to those who are perishing." The Corinthians had been attracted by the dynamics of the Christian movement and they "are not lacking in any spiritual gift" [1 Corinthians 1:7].  

So many in Corinth wanted the experiences the church offered but failed to put their minds to understand that Paul preached Christ crucified, a message that was "a stumbling block to the Jews and folly to the Gentiles" [1 Corinthians 1:23].

Paul's understanding of God's objective in his testing is this: "God chose what is low and despised in the world … so that no human being might boast in the presence of God" [1 Corinthians 1:28-29]. Where there is boasting and human ego, believers will never be united. So often in serving Christ, those seeking leadership, or looking for leaders to follow, are elevating men: this attitude destroys unity. Our unity needs to be based, not on human wisdom, but on the wisdom that is from above (read James 3:17-18). 

True wisdom is totally lacking in the world today in both material and spiritual things. We must recognise the influence of this on us and Paul's message to the Corinthians is full of encouragement for them to develop spiritual vision, for 'no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the heart of man imagined, what God has prepared for those who love him" [1 Corinthians 2:9] and who are "united in the same mind."

-------

DC

21 February 2018

Exodus 33; 34

Psalms 90; 91

1 Corinthians 3 

"I ... COULD NOT ADDRESS YOU AS SPIRITUAL PEOPLE"

Our 5 chapters today were intensely thought provoking. First, the utterly remarkable and challenging relationship of Moses (and the people through Moses) with the LORD (yhwh) who had delivered them from Egypt.

Second, the Psalms of Moses, Psalm 90; 91; "So teach us to number our days that we may get a heart of wisdom" [Psalm 90:12]: then we were in heart-felt awe of the opening words of Psalm 91, "He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High … will say to the LORD, 'My refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.'"  Moses is the ultimate Old Testament example of this - one who achieved an intimate relationship with God.

And now in Paul's heart searching first letter to the Corinthians we read Paul's distress at their minimal progress toward real spirituality – so parallel to Moses' experience with the God's nation in the wilderness.

In 1 Corinthians 2 we read, "The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he (or she) is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned" [1 Corinthians 2:14]. And then 1 Corinthians 3 starts, "But I, brothers (and sisters - footnote) could not address you as spiritual people, but as people of the flesh, as infants in Christ" [1 Corinthians 3:1]. 

He deplores their lack of unity, their failure to see the need to team together under the guiding hand of Christ as Paul had dedicated himself to do. "I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the growth. So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God who gives the growth" [1 Corinthians 3:6-7]. 

He goes on to state, "For we are God's fellow workers" [1 Corinthians 3:9]. Visualise that! As such we team together to build God's spiritual house which is only seen by the "eyes" of those who have spiritual vision. 

God laid "the foundation … which is Jesus Christ" [1 Corinthians 3:11]. "Let each one take care how he (or she) builds upon it" [1 Corinthians 3:10] whether it be "gold silver … hay, straw" - then Paul challenging states, "the Day will disclose it, because it will be revealed by fire, and the fire will test what sort of work each one has done" [1 Corinthians 3:13].

What does 1 Corinthians 3:15 mean? "If anyone's work is burned up, he will suffer loss, though he (or she) … will be saved, but only as through fire." What is our work? It is the same as Paul at Corinth, to witness, to bring people to Christ beginning with our children. In 2018 the time appears to be very short; let us become more spiritual, more zealous to build – how close now is God's building to being completed!? How soon now before "our faith is turn to sight?" Seventy years is a significant time period in the outworking of God's plan!  Recall what was happening 70 years ago!

-------

- DC

22 February 2018

Exodus 35

Psalms 92; 93

1 Corinthians 4; 5  

"EVERYONE WHOSE HEART STIRRED HIM"

The drama of Moses in the mountain and then in dealing with those who made the golden calf is now in the past. We read today of preparations for making the Tabernacle: everyone had brought away from Egypt items of value - remember what you read in Exodus 12:35-36! "They plundered the Egyptians." Moses appeals to the people, "Whoever is of a generous heart, let him bring the LORD's contribution: gold, silver, and bronze …yarns and fine twined linen …" [Exodus 35:5] These will be the source materials needed to make the Tabernacle. The people "departed from the presence of Moses. And they came, everyone whose heart stirred him, and everyone whose spirit moved him, and brought the LORD's contribution to be used for the tent of meeting, and for all its service, and for the holy garments. And so they came, both men and women. All who were of a willing heart …" [Exodus 35:20-22]. 

We will read in Exodus 36 that Moses is told, "The people bring much more than enough …" [Exodus 36:5]; so many willing hearts! Now this was not tithing, these were freewill offerings. The institution of tithing is detailed in the next 3 books of Moses, see for example Deuteronomy 14:22-29. Tithing was for the running costs of the nation: the Levites duties were wide ranging being required to act as medicos, policemen, administration, etc., tithing was the income tax of the nation. The functioning of the tabernacle was the responsibility of Aaron and his sons and close relatives. 

Many "Christian" organisations demand tithes of their flock, claiming the Bible advocates this – and many become really wealthy - and it's tax free! But there is no basis in God's word for Christians to practice tithing - the evidence is all the other way!  

There will be evidence of this when we come to Paul's Second letter to the Corinthians next month. Paul writes of the attitude of the believers in Macedonia "in a severe test of affliction, their abundance of joy and their extreme poverty have overflowed in a wealth of generosity ..." they gave … "beyond their means of their own freewill …" [2 Corinthians 8:2-3]. "Each one must give as he has made up his mind, not … under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver" [2 Corinthians 9:7].

Equally important is for believers to show the heart felt sincerity of their commitment to Christ by giving of their time and their abilities in different areas of service for Christ. Can it be that some, well blessed in the needs of this life, think that it is enough to be very generous when the collection bags come round and appeals are made – but that is all they do! We must each let our hearts stir us to use our talents (not just finances) in the service of the Lord wherever he creates opportunities for us – and there are many of them.

-------

- DC

23 February 2018

Exodus 36

Psalms 94; 95

1 Corinthians 6 

"HE WHO IS JOINED TO THE LORD BECOMES ..."

We have an intensely thought provoking set of readings today. In Exodus we read how they start to construct the tabernacle in the wilderness and they are to "work in accordance with all that the LORD has commanded" [Exodus 36:1]. The Creator had detailed every part of its' construction to Moses on the Mount – it would be God's Tabernacle. Our world is a wilderness! We must meditate on the challenge of making the spiritual Temple today - that Paul writes about - as we read on Wednesday [1 Corinthians 3:16-17] – and our role in constructing this tabernacle for our Lord to dwell in - in today's wilderness. 

How wonderful to be among "the people of his pasture" today! This is the phrase that occurs in today's Psalm 95:7-8 "…he is our God, and we are the people of his pasture, and the sheep of his hand. Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts ..." 

How clearly are we hearing his voice as we read his word in today's wilderness? As the 'desert' of ungodliness around us increases - let us increase our consciousness and commitment to becoming a dependable part of God's spiritual Temple.

Now in Corinth some believers were being influenced by the sexual immorality that surrounded them – and it surrounds us today - and we have the addition of the Internet to distract us - and if we are weak spiritually - we can do this in private – and then become weaker and weaker.

Paul puts before them a challenging vision of the spiritual realities their minds needed to grasp - that they must grasp! "Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ? Shall I then take the members of Christ and make them members of a prostitute? Never!" [1 Corinthians 6:15]. 1 Corinthians 6:17 should be highlighted and memorised in our minds! "He who is joined to the Lord becomes one spirit with him." 

We were bought with a price - and what a price! The "blood" of our Lord!

We will read in Corinthians next Tuesday how believers can "be guilty concerning the body and blood of the Lord" [1 Corinthians 11:27]. Think of his agony of mind in the garden of Gethsemane! Then meditate deeply on Paul's words that we should aim to be "a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship" [Romans 12:1]. 

Let us be conscious - every day - indeed, every hour - that we "are joined to the Lord" and become more and more "one spirit with him" [1 Corinthians 6:17]. And with this consciousness we will also live in ways in which, as the last verse of today's chapter says, that we will "glorify God in (y)our body." 

-------

- DC

24 February 2018

Exodus 37

Psalms 96; 97; 98; 99

1 Corinthians 7

"UNDIVIDED DEVOTION TO THE LORD"

This phrase occurs in our Corinthians chapter [1 Corinthians 7] today. It is a chapter that is not as clear in meaning in some sections as we would like, but it becomes clearer as you take a contextual view of the flow of Paul's reasoning.  

As we have read in the preceding chapters the large ecclesia at Corinth is in a real spiritual mess. The members were largely from a pagan background and the Jews had "opposed and reviled him" [Acts 18:6] when Paul preached in their synagogue at Corinth. 

In particular Paul wrote to the ecclesia about the extensive immorality they were failing to deal with and the fact that members were even going to law against one another. Given the rapidly increasing immoral atmosphere in which we live, the principles revealed in this chapter apply so much to us today. 

Paul writes, "I say this for your own benefit, not to lay any restraint upon you, but to promote good order and to secure your undivided devotion to the Lord" [1 Corinthians 7:35]. In 1 Corinthians 7:31 he had written, "for the present form of this world is passing away."  

Actually it was nearly 200 years before the city was totally wrecked by the barbarians, a city with a 1700 year history of greatness, but the ecclesia failed to continue and make any mark on history. The only way for an individual to survive was to have "undivided devotion to the Lord." In yesterday's chapter [1 Corinthians 6] Paul gave a list of those who will not have a place in God's kingdom. 

We must note that he is not just listing what we would call the worst forms of behaviour, but he says the kingdom will not include "thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified …" [1 Corinthians 6:10-11]. Sanctified means counted as holy.

The ever more evil world of Corinth was destroying their devotion to the Lord – recall how the previous chapter concluded – before Paul made these points! We read, "do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit within you … you are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body."  

Some claiming to be Christians today make much of their imagination of possessing the Holy Spirit; but it is really the other way round, the Holy Spirit possesses us, but we only realize that if we give the Lord our "undivided devotion."

-------

- DC

25 February 2018

Exodus 38

Psalms 100; 101

1 Corinthians 8; 9

"IF ANYONE LOVES GOD, HE IS KNOWN BY GOD"

First, our reading of Psalm 100 caught our attention, Psalm 100:3 declares, "Know that the LORD, he is God! It is he who made us, and we are his; we are his people: and the sheep of his pasture." That last phrase in particular should cause us to deeply meditate! "The sheep of his pasture!" Our God (and surely his Son) have a "pasture" - this is an area where domestic animals graze! When we are his – he puts us, spiritually, in his pasture. Let us meditate on the wonder of this – the reality of this.

This thought leads into what we read in 1 Corinthians 8:3. "But if anyone loves God, he (or she) is known by God." Love is, above all, an active quality; genuine love causes us to do things: it motivates our heart, and, above all thing brings us into a relationship – and with God – that is - awesomely –  a "two-way" relationship..

When God, who sees all things through his spirit [Psalm 139:1-6] knows that our professions of love for him come right from our hearts - we are "known by God." But this is more than a one sided sense of knowing, to truly know God results in a two-way relationship - as in the Psalm we quoted at the beginning.

A few days ago we read in Exodus, "Moses said to the LORD … you have said, 'I know you by name … therefore if I have found favour in your sight, please show me now your ways, that I may know you …'" [Exodus 33:12-13]. Knowing God comes through knowing his ways; leading to the realization that we are "working together with him" [2 Corinthians 6:1].  

One of the wonders of this, as we will see in tomorrow's chapter, is to realize that "God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it" [1 Corinthians 10:13]. 

Many believers in Corinth were experiencing temptations to continue to enjoy the fleshly advantages of attending idol temples and feasting there on the food that had been offered to the idols. The idol worshippers saw this food as special because it had been blessed by Temple priests: years ago we have seen this happening in Indian temples.

It is not difficult to see the modern equivalents, especially in prosperous countries in the things that the masses idolize. In Corinth athletic sports were idolized, it is no different today – people call them "Stars" – reflect on how much idolizing happens - virtually daily!  

Finally we noted Paul's point – "Every athlete exercises self-control … they do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable" [1 Corinthians 9:25]. Paul tells the believers, "So run that you may obtain it I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified" [1 Corinthians 9:24,27]. 

Disqualified! Can we imagine Paul being disqualified! Obviously he could! How can we safeguard against this ourselves? The "oil" which "lubricates" all our understanding and ways of thinking – should result in success for our efforts to "run" effectively! 

This is the reality of our love for God: fueled by our reading of God's word – and this provides the "lubricating oil"! As a result we become more and more aware that we are "known by God." Loving God creates our inner strength. How "real" is your love? God knows! Do we truly know ourselves?

-------

- DC