TFTBR - January 2018

Resource Manager

01 January 2018

Genesis 1; 2

Psalms 1; 2

Matthew 1; 2

"HE WHO SITS IN THE HEAVENS LAUGHS"

The first 12 weeks of the year involve reading the Psalms; they are so often personal and wonderfully thought provoking. Psalm 2 has 4 verses which have been familiar to us in the last week because they are in Handel's Messiah. "Why do the nations rage and the people plot in vain? The kings of the earth set themselves, and rulers take counsel together against the LORD and against his anointed" [Psalm 2:1-2]. 

Christ is the "anointed" – that is what the word "Christ" means. Earth's rulers plot in vain against what the LORD purposes to accomplish. Peter quoted this Psalm when he and John were released from prison [Acts 4:23-26]. But, much of God's word, while having at times, intermediate applications, have an ultimate fulfilment as these words certainly do. 

We live in an age when the atheists and agnostics are multiplying; they believe they are succeeding in their efforts to do away with divine principles: they are saying, as this Psalm puts it in Psalm 2:3, "Let us burst their bonds apart (asunder) and cast away their cords (restraints) from us."  

The following verse gives us the LORD's reaction to this, "He who sits in the heavens laughs; the LORD holds them in derision." God's punishments were clearly evident when so many of the Kings that followed David's era ignored the restraints of the divine laws. But note! Today's Psalm is primarily addressed to "the nations" and "the kings of the earth." 

So what will God do? Psalm 2:5 tells us, "then he will speak to them in his wrath and terrify them in his fury" and this fury is associated with the time when, as the next verses put it, "'I have set my King on Zion, my holy hill' And the LORD says to the king, 'You are my Son; today I have begotten you, Ask of me and I will make the nations your heritage, and the ends of the earth your possession. You shall break them … and dash them in pieces …'" 

How parallel this is with what we have just been reading in Malachi and Revelation! But the last words in this Psalm are for us at that time – if our attitude is right – we read, "Blessed are all those who take refuge in him."

-------

- DC

02 January 2018

Genesis 3; 4

Psalms 3; 4; 5

Matthew 3; 4

"BUT BY EVERY WORD ..." 

Today's 4th chapter of Matthew contains the account of Jesus being tempted after being "led up by the Spirit into the wilderness" [Matthew 4:1]. This opening verse arrests the attention of diligent readers. It seems astonishing that God's Spirit brought about Christ's temptations.

Jesus, now that "the Spirit of God" had come "to rest on him" [Matthew 3:16] is first tempted to use that power to create "bread" [Matthew 4:3] as there is no food in the wilderness to which the Spirit has led him, and 40 days had elapsed. He showed his power to create food later when he fed the 5,000; to feed himself would have been easy. 

The primary lesson that jumps into our thinking as we read the 3 different types of temptation is how Jesus quotes (in each case, in rejecting temptation) words which God caused Moses to write and which we find in his book called Deuteronomy. The temptations each have a sense of unreality about them, there is for example, no "every high mountain" from which a tempter could have "showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their glory" [Matthew 4:8].  

They are examples of the 3 basic types of temptation which we read of a couple of weeks ago in 1 John 2:15-16 "For all that is in the world – the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride of possessions – is not from the Father but is from the world." 

How did Matthew in writing his gospel get the information about Christ's temptations? Jesus has not yet started to call any disciples to him; not until Matthew 9:9 is their reference to Matthew being called. As we think on this we realize the disciples could only have known about his temptations through Jesus telling them! And how did Jesus teach? Much of the time he taught by parables – and these were often not of literal events. 

So we conclude Jesus told of his temptations in the form of a parable, the primary aim being to show he too suffered temptation (see Hebrews 4:15) and, even more, how temptations are overcome – that is the power of the narrative we read today. His mind was full of what God had caused to be written for human instruction.  

We especially noted his quotation to "the tempter" from Deuteronomy 8:3, "Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God." 

And that is the fundamental way in which we push fleshly temptations to one side. Is that not a primary reason why we read portions of God's word every day? How much of God's word comes to the surface in our thinking when the need arises? It should do! 

-------

- DC

03 January 2018

Genesis 5; 6

Psalms 6; 7; 8

Matthew 5 

"BLESSED ARE THE …"

Today's chapter - Matthew 5 - is one of the most well known in the whole Bible; well, the first 12 verses anyway. These contain a list of 9 circumstances in which one should feel and count as a blessing. None of the 9 circumstances are remotely like those which people count as blessings today. They would use words like lucky or fortunate in talking about what they see as blessings, such as winning a lottery. Does it seem surprising that neither of those 2 words appear in the Bible!? 

The word BEATITUDE is used by the church to describe a condition of blessedness, that's what the word means. The first blessed condition [Matthew 5:3] is to be "poor in spirit." This is understood as a humble or lowly attitude, the opposite of being proud in spirit. The New English Bible puts it in an interesting way - "How blest are those who know their need of God."

The next one is a hard saying for many to come to terms with! "Blessed are those who mourn"! But remember the lesson we saw in reading the book of Job. His misfortunes led him to seek and know God as he had never done before! If we go through life without any troubles, are we motivated to really seek a relationship with God?  

If you are simply taught about God, and reason out that he must exist, that attitude is simply laying a foundation that has be built upon. The next one is "Blessed are the meek" – this is the very opposite of being aggressive. 

But what we have not yet emphasized is that with each of these present situations that is seen as a blessing, comes the promise of a future. In the case of the meek – "they shall inherit the earth." There is no promise of a place in heaven, it is a heavenly reward on earth. Ponder the first 4 verses of Revelation 21.

It is very rewarding to read and carefully reflect on these states of blessedness and our own relationship to them. May we all give careful thought to the other six – in 2018, which shows every indication of being a momentous one in the unfolding plan and purpose of God.

-------

- DC

04 January 2018

Genesis 7; 8

Psalms 9; 10

Matthew 6  

"O LORD! LET THE NATIONS KNOW THAT THEY ARE BUT MEN"

The above words conclude Psalm 9. As we read this Psalm we saw it as a remarkable summary – from God's perspective – of life on earth. David, in his sublime meditation was able to possess the enlarged heart [Psalm 119:32] he had prayed for and it is our privilege to enter into that vision, but we must read and do so in a humble and seeking state of mind.

"I will give thanks to the LORD with my whole heart" is how David begins. "I will recount all of your wonderful deeds." Therefore we ourselves should know and reflect on all that God has already done. 

David now looks at the future and sees the end that is in prospect, "You have rebuked the nations; you have made the wicked perish; you have blotted out their name for ever and ever. The enemy came to an end in everlasting ruins … the very memory of them has perished." [Psalm 9:5-6].  

This can only happen in the perfect age when God himself dwells on earth as we read last week in Revelation [Revelation 21:3-8]. In contrast to the total end of the wicked, we have this vision of what we believe is now in the near future - "the LORD sits enthroned forever, he has established his throne for justice, and he judges the world with righteousness; he judges the peoples with uprightness." [Psalm 9:7-8] What an inspiring picture this is of the world scene after Christ returns.

Then David focuses his mind on the present scene, "The LORD is … a stronghold in times of trouble. And those who know your name put their trust in you, for you O LORD, have not forsaken those who seek you.  Sing praises to the LORD" [Psalm 9:9-11]. Those who know God's name, who know his reputation, what he has done in the past and what a relationship with him means now – they will then sing praises to him with all their heart. 

The last 2 verses are a prayer to God that is wonderfully appropriate for us to offer today, "Arise O LORD! Let not man prevail; let the nations be judged before you! Put them in fear. O LORD! Let the nations know that they are but men." 

-------

- DC 

05 January 2018

Genesis 9; 10

Psalms 11; 12; 13

Matthew 7 

"THE WISE MAN WHO BUILT HIS HOUSE ON THE ROCK"

Can the parables of Jesus become too well known to those who read the Bible regularly? It is possible, especially if that familiarity leads them to slide past simple but powerful lessons. "The wise man who built his house upon a rock" is such a lesson. We must never overlook that for everyone's house, that is, for his or her life, "the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house" [Matthew 7:25].

Each of us are challenged by Jesus to be spiritual house builders and our houses need to be strong enough to withstand the bad weather our lives will encounter and the weather forecast for 2018 predicts lots of uncertainties and potential calamities. Our houses will not be able to stand if they do not have the right foundation. 

Included in today's chapter are Jesus' challenging words, "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom …" [Matthew 7:21] Why is that? Those who are barred from entry will say, "'Lord, Lord, did we not prophecy (preach) in your name … and do many mighty works (good deeds, etc.) in your name?' And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from me you workers of lawlessness'" [Matthew 7:22-23]. What they (we) say, lays the foundation – and then!?

Earlier in the chapter we read, "Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction and those who enter by it are many" [Matthew 7:13]. The gate Jesus invites us to go through may seem to be very narrow today, but the evidence that all the other gates lead nowhere is clearer than ever. 

The gate that leads to oblivion may be so wide many do not even realize they have passed through it!

Of course, if this life is all we want, so be it! But, those with spiritual vision can see the storm clouds building up and the satisfactions that fill our lives today - may soon be overwhelmed. 

Do you remember the parable about those who knocked on the closed door? The 21st Century equivalent could we – knocking on a door after it is shut! How tragic!

The task of building a spiritual house is more challenging more challenging every year! But the words of Jesus are there for us to absorb and become part of our thinking, "for he was teaching them as one who had authority and not as the scribes" [Matthew 7:29]. And – there are such scribes today.

------

- DC

06 January 2018

Genesis 11; 12

Psalm 14; 15; 16

Matthew 8  

"LET US MAKE A NAME"

Our readings in Genesis have progressed to the time after the flood. Much time has passed and the descendants of Noah have multiplied and "they found a plain in the land of Shinar and settled there ... Then they said, "Come, let us build ourselves a city and a tower with its top in the heavens, and let us make a name for ourselves, lest we be dispersed over the face of the whole earth" [Genesis 11:2-4].

We are then told how the LORD reacts to their plans. His action was to "confuse their language, so that they may not understand one another's speech. So the LORD dispersed them from there over the face of all the earth" [Genesis 11:7-8]. And so it happened, but we are not told the detail of how this unfolded, but, in the process of many generations, each couple, with their own language, seeking to "make a name" for themselves, developed to become a nation in some part of the world.

This has been the scene for many thousands of years! But God has revealed he ultimately will act again in the matter of language. This is shown in his message through the prophet Zephaniah which we read last month, "Therefore wait for me," declares the LORD, "for the day when I rise up to seize the prey. For my decision is to gather nations, to assemble kingdoms, to pour out upon them my indignation, all my burning anger; for in the fire of my jealousy all the earth shall be consumed."  

But then God will do a remarkable thing! "For at that time I will change the speech of the peoples to a pure speech, that all of them may call upon the name of the LORD and serve him with one accord" [Zephaniah 3:8-9] When God rises up, the "prey" he will seize will surely be the godless! There are many Scriptures which picture it! And so instead of man making himself a name, it is God who does! 

The making of a name in scripture, means making a reputation: in Genesis 12 which we also read today, we saw God's promise to Abraham, "I will bless you and make your name great" [Genesis 12:2] And we read in Isaiah 63:14, where the prophet reviews all that God had done, up to that stage, saying to God, "So you led your people, to make for yourself a glorious name" [isaiah 63:14]. 

Let us live so that we, ultimately, become part of the "name" that God makes. We read a couple of weeks ago, this wondrous promise by Jesus to those who "conquer" in our increasingly ungodly world. "The one who conquers" said Jesus, "I will make him a pillar in the temple of my God ... and I will write on him the name of my God ... and my own new name" [Revelation 3:12]. Only through our Saviour, day after day can we "make a name" – a name that reflects God's name!

-------

- DC

07 January 2018

Genesis 13; 14

Psalms 17

Matthew 9 

"SHEEP WITHOUT A SHEPHERD" 

In Matthew 9 there is a summary of the work of Jesus – "and Jesus went throughout all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues and proclaiming the gospel of the kingdom and healing every disease and every affliction. When he saw the crowds he had compassion on them because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd" [Matthew 9:35-36]. 

A large priesthood system existed; there were also scribes and Pharisees. There was the Temple and many synagogues, so what was Jesus' point in saying the people were harassed and helpless with no shepherds? It is obvious he meant the whole religious system was a failure! Would he say the same today?

Are the flock 'harassed and helpless" today? In one sense "No," but they have many attractions that are distractions that stop them from giving attention to the greater issues of life. The flock then had leaders that were self-centred, they had no "vision" of eternal things, their prayers were to tell God how good they were [Luke 18:11-12] They tackled the disciples, "Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?" [Luke 18:11] – so that's what they thought of others. Do today's "shepherds" say how good they are?

Jesus as the "good shepherd" set other shepherds an example. He came to bring "new wine" and the "old wineskins were useless" [Matthew 9:17] – the old law had served its purpose, the religious leaders had corrupted the essential elements of its message, they had lost any meaningful "vision" of God and the real nature of the service he seeks and the true message "of the kingdom."

The lesson for us today is that the "new wine" is preserved for us in our Bibles but for most it has become "salt (that) has lost its taste" [Matthew 5:13] But the words of Jesus are more meaningful than ever for those who have "ears to hear" - and in our world that is so starved of genuine spirituality there is abundant work to be done.  

We note how our chapter ends, "pray earnestly to the Lord of the harvest to send out labourers into the harvest." And there are good harvest fields in a countries of the world where people have not yet been too distracted and corrupted by the "wonders" of our modern, but godless world.

-------

- DC

08 January 2018

Genesis 15; 16

Psalms 18

Matthew 10 

"THE CLEANNESS OF MY HANDS"

Psalm 18 is a major psalm of David, we meditate on his words in surveying all the ways in which the LORD had been overseeing his life. God is his rock, his place of refuge [Psalm 18:2]. He writes that the LORD has dealt with him according to his righteousness, stating, "according to the cleanness of my hands he rewarded me" [Psalm 18:20].   

This causes us to meditate upon what we might call, the cause and effect principle in our relationship with God. We have observed more than once that difficulties can enter a person's life, although he or she does not, in effect, deserved it. Job's life is a classic case, but there are many other examples. David himself experienced this after he had slain Goliath and was exalted in the sight of the nation ­ but then suffered much trouble because of the jealousy of Saul. 

So what did David mean when he wrote that the Lord rewarded me because of "the cleanness of my hands"? This perception of David is so significant that he repeats it, and notice the context, "I was blameless before him and I kept myself from my guilt. So the LORD has rewarded me according to my righteousness, according to the cleanness of my hands in his sight" [Psalm 18:23-24]. 

There is a present tense here, the reward has been received. We tend to look to the future as the time of reward, as we read last week in Revelation 22:12 about how Jesus, at his return, will reward (repay) everyone for what they have done.

So David, despite all the troubles Saul created for him, as the introduction to this Psalm comments, is extremely conscious of the present reward of God's guiding care. "With the merciful you show yourself merciful … but the haughty eyes you bring down" [Psalm 18:25,27]. "The word of the LORD proves true; he is a shield for all those who take refuge in him" [Psalm 18:30]. 

When he says of God "you equipped me with strength for the battle" [Psalm 18:39]; true followers of Christ can see this as meaning a different kind of battle. The Apostle Paul says "we are not waging war according to the flesh … We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God and take every (human) thought captive to obey Christ" [2 Corinthians 10:3,5]. There are many "lofty opinions" in circulation today. 

Our regular meditative reading of the Bible is an essential ingredient in each of our lives to enable God and Christ to work in us to achieve this present reward we start by taking "every thought captive to obey Christ."

-------

- DC

09 January 2018

Genesis 17; 18

Psalms 19; 20; 21

Matthew 11

"WISDOM IS JUSTIFIED BY HER DEEDS"

What kind of "wisdom" is to be seen in the world today? Wisdom is quite a contrast to "knowledge" - sometimes a total contrast. What a fascinating set of chapters we have to read - they illustrate the right kind of wisdom - heavenly wisdom, a wisdom that can be ours - if we will absorb them into our thinking.

This line of thinking was prompted by the words of Jesus in Matthew 11 - about the attitudes of the people that surrounded him. Jesus asked, "But to what shall I compare this generation?" [Matthew 11:15-16]. That generation had rejected John the Baptist and was going to reject Jesus. Their rejection has clear parallels with the rejection of God's word today.

"For John came," says Jesus, "neither eating nor drinking, and they say, 'He has a demon.'' In contrast, "The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Look at him! A glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners!'" [Matthew 11:18-19] How 'blind' the human mind has been - in every generation. Today it is totally blind to the wonders of Creation - and therefore - of the Creator!

After his observations on all the negative attitudes towards John and himself Jesus declares that this "wisdom is justified by her deeds" [Matthew 11:19] "Deeds" could be translated as "children" as in some versions do this - meaning ­ this is what this kind of wisdom produces. We see this "wisdom" increasingly flooding the world today ­ indeed, we could say it is drowning in it! 

For some positive thoughts we turn, first to Genesis 17. Here we read of the promise God made to Abraham “I will give to you and to your offspring after you the land of your sojourning's, all the land of Canaan, for an everlasting possession, and I will be their God." [Genesis 17:8]. That promise appears to be nearing its' final stage toward fulfilment - in our lifetime! But it will need the return of Christ ­ and how soon now? How utterly awe inspiring!

Our final thought is from our Psalms reading ­ it is positive - and inspiring! In Psalm 20 we read, "May the LORD answer you in the day of trouble! ... May he send you help ... May he grant you your heart's desire ... May we shout for joy over your salvation" [Psalm 20:1,2,4,5]. Can we picture this happening? Let us try to! We can add - with this "wisdom" and expectation in our hearts and minds we must all make this our prayer today - and in all coming days - echoing the final words of David in this Psalm, "May he answer us when we call."

-------

- DC

10 January 2018

Genesis 19

Psalms 22

Matthew 12

"MY GOD, WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN ME"

Our Psalms reading today [Psalm 22] begin with the last words Jesus utters on the cross, "My God, why have you forsaken me." This is a Psalm of David and must reflect an experience of his when he was in deep depression ­ very probably at some stage when he was being pursued by Saul and his henchmen and forced to hide in the wilderness. It is not difficult to have some appreciation of this desperate prayer of David.  

After going forth so valiantly against Goliath and then being so successful that the people could sing, "Saul has struck down his thousands and David his ten thousands" [1 Samuel 18:7] suddenly David's situation changes. Now he is hiding in caves, Saul is seeking clues as to where he might me, does David have any friends? Some who learn where he is report this to Saul. [1 Samuel 23:19; 1 Samuel 24:1]. Today's Psalm expresses how David was feeling; it was a natural reaction for him to pray, "My God, why have you forsaken me."

He goes on to write, "O my God, I cry by day, but you do not answer, and by night, but I find no rest" [Psalm 22:2]. It is natural from our human perspective that we should think in terms of cause and effect ­ but God sees the bigger picture, the larger perspective of spiritual training such as when Jesus was "led up by the spirit into the wilderness to be tempted (tested)" as we read last week in Matthew 4:1.

What is very instructive for us about this - and several other Psalms - is how, after starting with desperate questions in a spirit of depression his words in this Psalm then move forward to perceive, what we might call, the "bigger picture." Yet David's life in some of his experiences was a prophecy of what happened to Jesus. 

David, in fleeing, left clothing behind and he notes "they divide my garments among them, and for my clothing they cast lots" [Psalm 22:18]. An event which was to repeat itself in the life of Jesus. Then David's thoughts move on to think positively and he tells God, "I will tell of your name to my brothers, in the midst of the congregation I will praise you" [Psalm 22:22].

Finally this Psalm comes a greater and more far reaching vision of the future., "All the ends of the end shall remember and turn to the LORD, and all the families of the nations shall worship before you" [Psalm 22:27]. We should take a valuable lesson from David in this progression into positive thought, especially when we feel depressed. 

-------

- DC

11 January 2018

Genesis 20; 21

Psalms 23; 24; 25

Matthew 13 

"... AND IMMEDIATELY RECEIVES IT WITH JOY"

Can we become too familiar with something? Can we know about some issue, some fact, have some experience ­ and then, over time be that long or short, the wonder of our perception of it fades right away? The parables of Jesus can be like that ­ we understood his teaching long ago, we received it into our thinking with joy.

Jesus' parable of the sower we read this morning is the most familiar of all. We recall hearing a talk on it long ago that stuck in our minds. The seed is the word ­ surely that means "The Bible" and we receive it with joy in a world of darkness that today is more godless than ever.  

What are the birds which snatch away the seeds? The birds are beautiful little creatures and the talk we heard likened them to things like music! Things that are good attract us, but at the same time they can also distract us - if they totally dominate our attention so that God's seed never takes root. We keep the seed, we talk of its value, but it is comparable to the servant "who kept (what he was given) and laid it away in a handkerchief" [Luke 19:20].

The servant knew it to be of value! Can we have the same attitude to the Bible, as we read it or hear it read ­ yet never make use of what we read! We acknowledge it is a valuable seed so we know it is good to have a copy in our house. There are those, said Jesus, who "immediately receives it with joy" [Matthew 13:20] in seeing its value, yet they never allow it to take proper root in their minds. Jesus put it a strange way, he said such a person "has no root in himself" [Matthew 13:21], he saw no need for roots to anchor his thinking. 

For all too many today though, the greatest category of tragedy is "the cares of the world and the deceitfulness of riches (which) choke the word" [Matthew 13:22]. We know, if we think deeply, there is no value in our reading of God's word if, in the end, it fails to lead to us to being fruitful, and more so these days as the time gets closer to when, "The Son of Man will send his angels, and will gather out of his kingdom all causes of sin …" [Matthew 13:41]. 

Some may think to themselves, well that does not apply to me not accepting the reality that the seed of the Word was expected to grow and produce fruit for "the one who hears the word and understands it. He indeed bears fruit …" [Matthew 13:23]. Jesus put it another way in John 3:21, "… whoever does what is true comes to the light, so that it may be clearly seen that his deeds have been carried out in God." Check your fruit today. Is your fruit ripening? Are there others you can encourage for "the seed" was sown in "God's field"?

-------

- DC

12 January 2018

Genesis 22; 23

Psalms 26; 27; 28

Matthew 14

"COUNTED ... TO HIM FOR RIGHTEOUSNESS"

Today we have read that significant chapter in Genesis [Genesis 22] in which Abraham obeys the LORD by being prepared ­“ without hesitation ­ to offer his son Isaac as a sacrifice. The progressive tests of faith which Abraham "passed" resulted in ever greater promises being made to him.  

Remember the very first promise God made to him was "I will make of you a great nation" [Genesis 12:3] and "in you all the families of the earth will be blessed." They started as families and developed into nations. Abraham lived at a time when they lived for a longer time than now; some family groups would have been extensive.  

It was not until Abraham had shown his faith by leaving all behind to travel to an unknown land that God extended his promise to include his "offspring" [Genesis 12:7]. Then, after he has built an altar to the LORD and travelled to Egypt and back gaining wealth and prestige in the process - and had separated from Lot - that the promise is extended to him "forever" and he is told he will have descendants as innumerable as the sand [Genesis 13:15-16].

Abraham then receives a vision from God in the night, and is now told his descendants will be as innumerable as the stars (signifying, we suggest, spiritual descendants, those who develop "the faith of Abraham" ­ see Romans 4:16). Genesis 15:6 is the most significant verse, "And he believed the LORD and he counted it to him for righteousness." But of course he had believed him before! However, this is the ultimate, the far reaching, challenge of belief. This is our challenge!  

We show our belief, as Abraham did, by what we do ­ not simply by what we say.  

At the age of 99 his name is changed from Abram to Abraham with all the significance of what that means [Genesis 17:5-8] and, as a result, "an everlasting covenant" is established. Then, the events we read of today happened ­ almost 40 years after God first revealed himself to Abram in Ur. 

God sees Abraham as now being ready for the ultimate test of faith. The final promises that are then made are totally far reaching, "your offspring shall possess the gate of his enemies and in your offspring shall all the nations of the earth be blessed, because you have obeyed my voice" [Genesis 22:17-18]. 

How significant are the words of Jesus, "Abraham rejoiced that he would see my day. He saw it and was glad" [John 8:56]. Genuine faith enables us to "see"!  

How clearly can we see the kingdom? Do the many scriptures which describe it ­ come alive in our minds? Let us share Abraham's vision and faith ­ and be "glad" ­ then it will be "counted to" (us) "for righteousness."  

Let us search our hearts ­ to honestly "see" the progress we have made in our own journey in faith.

-------

- DC

13 January 2018

Genesis 24

Psalms 29; 30

Matthew 15

"THE VOICE OF THE LORD" 

The sevenfold occurrence of the phrase "the voice of the LORD" in today's Psalm [Psalm 29] intrigues us. Then, when we came to the Matthew reading, the words of Isaiah Jesus quoted arrested our attention, "This people honours me with their lips but their heart is far from me" [Matthew  15:8]. The contrast between God's "voice" and what comes out of human "lips" could not be greater.

What is the nature of the LORD's "voice"? The description of that voice given in the Psalm reminds us of the human saying that actions speak louder than words! The point is that God's "voice" is heard through his actions ­ except by those with whom he seeks to have a special relationship ­ then it can be "a still small voice" (or "the sound of a low whisper" - 1 Kings 19:12) - as Elijah heard in the cave.

To godless men God "speaks through his actions": this is the point David is making. At the time of Noah's flood "the voice of the LORD is over the waters" [Psalm 29:3].  When the fearful people of Israel were at the foot of Mount Sinai, "the voice of the LORD is powerful" [Psalm 29:4]. In the ultimate future, "the voice of the LORD is full of majesty" [Psalm 29:4]. There was a preview of this when, after Solomon dedicated the Temple, "the priest could not enter the house … because the glory of the LORD filled the LORD's house" [2 Chronicles 7:2-3].

Psalm 29:5 tells us "the voice of the LORD breaks the cedars" - this takes our thoughts to Isaiah 2 and its dramatic picture of events before the Kingdom is established [isaiah 2:2-4] "For the LORD of hosts has a day against all that is proud … against all the cedars … against every high tower … and the haughtiness of man shall be humbled … and the LORD alone will be exalted in that day" [isaiah 2:12,13,15,17]. 

Great quantities of cedar were brought to Jerusalem to build the Temple; it was a most prized wood, but God brought destruction on that temple because the hearts of those worshipping there had become "distant" to him. 

The word translated "voice" is the simple Hebrew word qol. Young shows it occurs almost 500 times in the Old Testament, but what intrigued us was its very first occurrence. A situation impossible to picture in our minds!  

"And they heard the sound (AV has "voice") of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and (Adam & Eve) hid themselves" [Genesis 3:8]. There will come a time, we read in Revelation 21:3, when "the dwelling place of God is with men. He will dwell with them …" Those privileged to be there will have no need to hide when they hear "the voice of the LORD." All such will honour the Lord with their lips ­ and with all their hearts. 

How unbelievably wonderful! Can you imagine it? Can you imagine being there?

-------

- DC

14 January 2018

Genesis 25; 26

Psalms 31

Matthew 16 

"LOVE THE LORD, ALL YOU HIS SAINTS!"

David employs some very significant phrases in Psalm 31, our second reading today. It is a very personal Psalm – it unfolds to reveal the wonder of his relationship with God.  It starts as a prayer, "Be a rock of refuge for me, a strong fortress to save me!" [Psalm 31:2]

David then prays, "...  for your name's sake you lead me and guide me."  David had become so committed to God that others were following his example - to some extent - and also developing  an increasingly intimate relationship.  Let’s note his words that were 'echoed' by Jesus. In Psalm 31:5 we read, "Into your hand I commit my spirit." Just before our Lord breathed his last, Luke tells us, "Jesus, calling out with a loud voice, said, "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit!" [Luke 23:46]

Surely we should live our lives in such a way that we are drawing ever nearer to God in our prayerful outpourings – so that our "spirit" - our minds - our whole being - develops a total sense of commitment! This Psalm of David builds up a 'picture' of his total sense of commitment. He has enemies who  "... plot to take my life.  But I trust in you, O LORD; I say, ‘You are my God.’   My times are in your hand ... Make your face shine on your servant; save me in your steadfast love!" [Psalm 31:13-16]   

God’s face!?  Back in Psalm 4 we read, “There are many who say, "Who will show us some good? Lift up the light of your face upon us, O LORD!" The only source of real “good” and goodness – is when we have genuine communication with God – and our prayers become ‘alive.’ We are going to see 4 more references to God’s “face” in coming Psalms – watch out for them.

As David expresses the state of his heart and mind - how much can we be inspired by his words?  If, in our lives, we get close to becoming as dedicated as David (although we can never achieve his spiritual stature) we can - and should - declare with David, " Oh, how abundant is your goodness, which you have stored up for those who fear you and … take refuge in you ..." [Psalm 31:19].

David concludes his Psalm with further in inspiring words, to us!   "Love the LORD, all you his saints! The LORD preserves the faithful ... Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you who wait for the LORD!"  

This is particularly addressed to all those who live believing - and praying to God and our Lord – and - as a result say and believe with all their heart, "My times are in your hand". 

-------

- DC

15 January 2018

Genesis 27

Psalm 32

Matthew 17

"AND THEY WERE GREATLY DISTRESSED" 

Two incidents are described in today's New Testament chapter [Matthew 17] in which three were "terrified" and then all the disciples "were greatly distressed." The first occasion was the experience of three of them, Peter, James and John when Jesus "led them up a high mountain ... and he was transfigured before them" [Matthew 17:1-2] and "a bright cloud overshadowed them" and they heard God's voice saying, "This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased; listen to him." [Matthew 17:5]  But this awesome experience "terrified" them and they "fell on their faces" [Matthew 17:6] when they heard the divine voice.

The second occasion was when they returned to Galilee [Matthew 17:22] and Jesus told them what was about to happen! He said, "'The Son of Man is about to be delivered into the hands of men, and they will kill him, and he will be raised on the third day.' And they were greatly distressed" [Matthew 17:23]. So often, human nature is weak so that it can only take in part of the divinely inspired message. The words Jesus added that "he will be raised on the third day" – was not embraced by their hearts.

We should make sure we know all of God's word. In a week's time we are going to read how Jesus said. "there will be great tribulation, such as has not been from the beginning of the world" [Matthew 24:21] before his return. The tribulation will be so severe that those days will need to be "cut short" or " no human being would be saved. But for the sake of the elect those days will be cut short" [Matthew 24:22] 

The genuineness of the faith of the elect will be fully tested! But their Saviour is not going to return secretly! "For as the lightning comes from the east and shines as far as the west, so will be the coming of the Son of Man." [Matthew 24:27] The whole world will be "greatly distressed." Can we `visualise the time when " the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light, and the stars will fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken" [Matthew 24:29]?

How will we cope? The disciples did not cope when they heard God's "voice" on the Mount of transfiguration! Our faith will experience its' ultimate test – and those genuinely strong in faith, will not "mourn" or be "greatly distressed" as all the world will surely be - for "they will see the son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory" [Matthew 24:30] and they will know "his angels" are about to "gather his elect" [Matthew 24:31].

-------

- DC 

16 January 2018

Genesis 28; 29

Psalms 33

Matthew 18  

"… THE GREATEST IN THE KINGDOM"

It is intriguing to compare the brothers we read of in the Old Testament compared to the New. We read today in Genesis [Genesis 27] of the friction between the twin brothers Jacob and Esau. We read yesterday that Esau had despised his birthright [Genesis 25:34] and "sold" it to Jacob for some stew. 

Today we read that Jacob, at the prompting of his mother had "stolen" the blessing Isaac intended for Esau [Genesis 27:36] with the result that Esau had started to think of killing Jacob [Genesis 27:42]. This reminds us of the very first set of brothers, Cain and Abel: also of Joseph and his brothers; further still of David and his brothers! 

Now when we come to the New Testament we are struck by the contrast, Among the 12 disciples that Jesus called [Matthew 4:18-21] and who travel with him are two sets of brothers, James and John and Simon Peter and Andrew. Now, there is no hint of jealousy between them, apart from the time they all came to Jesus asking who was going to be "the greatest in the kingdom" [Matthew 18:1-4] causing Jesus to set a child in their midst and teach each of them the principle for his followers is to "humble himself like this child" – only then will greatness follow.

Human nature seems to be such that some brothers-in-the flesh are unable to get on well together. But when they come to Christ the scene changes for both are seeking to serve Christ - so human frictions should vanish under the Master's influence. This should especially be the case when both are working side by side in the service of Jesus.

It seems that Peter had at least one other brother apart from Andrew and this brother was causing him much frustration. We assume this brother was not following Christ. It is most interesting to read the conversation which Peter and Jesus have about this problem.

"Peter came up and said … 'Lord, how often will my brother sin against me and I forgive him? As many as seven times?' Jesus said to him, 'I do not say to you seven times, but seventy times seven'" [Matthew 18:21-22]. 

In the spirit of Christ there is no limit to the attitude of forgiveness. The same applies to sisters of course!  

Do you recall what we read last week? Jesus said, "whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother" [Matthew 12:50].

Let us all shed a little more light in this world of darkness by doing the will of the Father.

-------

- DC

17 January 2018

Genesis 30

Psalms 34

Matthew 19  

"BLESSED ARE THOSE … WHOM THE MASTER FINDS AWAKE WHEN HE COMES"

The last 2 verses of today's chapter [Matthew 19] can be puzzling if we do not realize the chapter break is wrongly placed and the context includes the next chapter. The end of Matthew 19 records Jesus as saying, "everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or lands for my name's sake, will receive a hundredfold and will inherit eternal life. But many who are first will be last, and the last first." 

The lesson Jesus is teaching becomes clear in his next words at the start of Matthew 20. "For the kingdom of heaven is like a master … who went out early … to hire labourers for his vineyard … for a denarius a day."  There follows the details of going out again at "the third hour … the sixth hour … the ninth hour … the eleventh hour." 

In the evening payment is made "beginning at the first" [Matthew 20:4] and they all receive the same payment [Matthew 20:10] regardless of how long they have worked. Those who had "borne the burden of the day and the scorching heat" [Matthew 20:12] complain.  Matthew 20:15-16 put this into focus from the divine point of view, "Am I not allowed to do what I choose with what belongs to me? Or do you begrudge my generosity? So the last will be first, and the first last." 

The disciples are going to labour in the "scorching heat" of the day; this is a lesson for them. But beware of looking at the situation from the opposite perspective! Could we be tempted to think to ourselves, "As long as we get to the service on most Sundays, is that all I really have to do"? Look back at the first passage quoted above, Jesus says, "everyone who has left … for my name's sake will receive …" 

It evidently means, everyone who has given first consideration to me and the needs of my vineyard as they live their lives – and done things, according to their ability and opportunity (and this includes looking to make opportunities) "will receive ..." Is it evident to all I meet that I am a "servant?"

Let's put this alongside another saying of Jesus in Luke 12. First note Luke 12:37 "Blessed are those servants whom the master finds awake when he comes" ... and then "everyone to whom much was given, of him (or her) much will be required, and from him to whom they entrusted much, they will demand the more" [Luke 12:48]. 

Much food for thought for us today – how much has been given to me – to you? Let us make sure we are "awake when he comes." 

-------

- DC

18 January 2018

Genesis 31

Psalms 35

Matthew 20 

"WHOEVER WOULD BE GREAT ..."

The mortal life of Jesus, as recounted by Matthew, is now moving towards its' climax. Today's 20th chapter tells us that Jesus "took the twelve disciples aside" as they were "going up to Jerusalem" and told them "the Son of Man will be delivered over to the chief priests and scribes, and they will condemn him to death ..." [Matthew 20:17-18]. The reality of his words did not seem to penetrate into their minds. 

Is there some comparison in this with those who claim to believe and serve Christ today? What really are our reactions to the warnings of Jesus about the climax of our world - words we know and are familiar with? On Friday we will read Matthew 24. We are quite familiar with this chapter. Parts of it are a warning of the judgements of God on Jerusalem and the nation [Matthew 24:15-20], but the rest is a wide ranging picture of the world's future godlessness – a spirit of mind that will reach its climax at the time of his return: and how soon now!?

The minds of the disciples were focussed on the future positions of prestige they were looking forward to. In at least one case, they were encouraged in this by a parent. In Matthew 20:20 we read that "the mother of the sons of Zebedee came up to him with her sons, and kneeling before him she asked ... that these two sons of mine are to sit, one at your right hand and one at your left, in your kingdom." 

Can we see a lesson for us here? Her question led Jesus to make the challenging statement "whoever would be great among you must be your servant … even as the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve" [Matthew 20:26,28].

We may be so focussed on the wonder of immortality and coming roles of relative glory in the kingdom Jesus will return to establish - that the traumas that will precede it are given much lesser consideration in our thoughts? Is that so with you? What traumas awaited the mother of James and John in her mortal life? She may well have been alive when Herod "killed James" [Acts 12:2]. 

What traumas await us? Will our faith be strong enough to live through them? Oh the wonder when our faith is turned to sight? The writer to the Hebrews said, "we desire each one of you to show the same earnestness to have the full assurance of hope until the end" [Hebrews 6:11]. Let us develop more of that "earnestness" – a foundation for a genuine spirit of "full assurance." 

Remember how Jesus, in his final message in Revelation said, "The one who conquers and who keeps my works until the end, to him I will give authority over the nations" [Revelation 2:26].

-------

- DC

19 January 2018

Genesis 32; 33

Psalms 36

Matthew 21  

“BEAR FRUIT IN KEEPING WITH REPENTANCE!”

Matthew 21 begins with the uncommon entry of Jesus into Jerusalem “humble, and mounted on a donkey, and on a colt, the foal of a beast of burden” [Matthew 21:5] which was prophesied by Zechariah [Zechariah 9:9]. If any knew God’s word through Zechariah they would have been alerted to the significance of what was taking place. Yet this illustrates the difficulty of fitting together the fulfilment of Bible prophecy because the next verse [Zechariah 9:10] in Zechariah says, “ … and he shall speak peace to the nations, and his rule shall be from sea to sea, and from the river to the ends of the earth.”

Because they rejected their king that came to them, “humble and mounted on a donkey,” this “peace” has not yet happened. But next time his coming with be so different! Paul wrote of the time to come “when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven with his mighty angels in flaming fire, inflicting vengeance on those who do not know God and who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus.” [2 Thessalonians 1:7,8]

Because they rejected him, Jesus said to them, “the kingdom of God is taken away from you and given to a people producing its fruits” [Matthew 21:43]. What are the “fruits” that Jesus expects heavenly citizens to produce? Jesus made this comment after telling them the parable of the vineyard and of the tenants who refused to give “fruits” to those sent to collect its fruits. They worked in God’s vineyard for their own glory. 

When we started to read Matthew we saw the challenge John Baptist made to the people, “Bear fruit in keeping with repentance!” [Matthew 3:8] They failed to heed John. Those who rejoiced at the triumphant entry of Jesus were fickle in their support of him as they had been of John the Baptist. Paul spells out very clearly in writing to the Galatians, the nature of the “fruit” God is looking for, “the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self control …” [Galatians 5:22-23]. We prove we are working “together with Christ” when our character develops that fruit.

-------

- DC 

20 January 2018

Genesis 34; 35

Psalms 37

Matthew 22

"THOSE INVITED WERE NOT WORTHY"

One of the most telling parables of Jesus is his story about "king who gave a wedding feast for his own son" [Matthew 22:2]. Strangely the king had difficulty finding guests who were interested in attending. Many have more important things to do.

He "sent his servants to call those who were invited to the wedding feast but they would not come" [Matthew 22:3]. Why is that? We parallel this with Jesus' statement "I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel" [Matthew 15:24]. They rejected his invitation. 

Further invitations are sent out, "but they paid no attention and went off, one to his farm, another to his business" [Matthew 22:5]. And so it has been throughout history! Today, it is even more so, people dismiss the invitation as irrelevant to their lives – although some may give a token impression of accepting.

The time came when "The wedding feast was ready, but those invited were not worthy" [Matthew 22:8].  There is every reason to believe that time is now! Jesus is ready to come back – the world is in desperate need of him although few realise this.

A final effort is made by the creator and his "servants went out into the roads and gathered all whom they found , both bad and good. So the wedding hall was filled with guests" [Matthew 22:10]. In Luke's record of this parable it says they went out to "the highways and hedges" [Luke 14:23] to find potential guests – and so the message has been taken far and wide today.

It is vital that guests put on a "wedding garment" [Matthew 22:11-12] which the king helps to provide. In Revelation 19 we read of "the marriage of the Lamb" and "his bride" was to "clothe herself with fine linen … (which) is the righteous deeds of the saints" [Revelation 19:7-8]. In the parable one is present "without a wedding garment" and the servants "cast him into outer darkness" [Matthew 22:13].

As with nearly all Christ's parables, there is a final "punch line" - so note Matthew 22:14, "For many are called, but few are chosen." As we read the scriptures each day it becomes ever clearer why they are chosen. 

-------

- DC

21 January 2018

Genesis 36

Psalms 38

Matthew 23

"CALL NO MAN YOUR FATHER"

Matthew 23 is full of blunt observations by Jesus about the religious leaders, but no indication is given of their reaction. The end of Matthew 22 shows how he silenced them with a question they could not answer and "from that day did anyone dare ask him any more questions." 

Matthew 23 starts by telling us he is speaking to "the crowds and to his disciples" [Matthew 23:1], and the whole chapter is about this. He is in the Temple because Matthew 24 starts by saying, "Jesus left the Temple …" He begins by saying, "The scribes and the Pharisees sit on Moses seat, so practice and observe whatever they tell you – but not what they do. For they preach, but do not practice" [Matthew 23:2-3]. This observation has been all too common in religious circles – right down to our day. This must not be so among those who sincerely read God's word.  

"They do their deeds to be seen by others" [Matthew 23:5] says Jesus, "and being called Rabbi (teacher) by others. But you are not to be called rabbi, for you have one teacher, and you are all brothers. And call no man your father on earth, for you have one Father, who is in heaven" [Matthew 23:7-9]. These words have been ignored in the main Christian churches right through the Centuries – and until the Bible was printed and everyone could read God's word - most were ignorant of these teachings of Jesus. May the words of the Bible be our teacher.

The really observant reader may notice that Jesus' words, "Woe unto you" are spoken to the "scribes and Pharisees" 7 times! See Matthew 23:13,15,16,23,25,27,29. We have noted several hidden sevens in our readings in recent weeks. Jesus bluntly says to them, "you also outwardly appear righteous to others, but within you are full of hypocrisy and lawlessness" [Matthew 23:28]. 

This reminds us of the words in the Proverbs of the one who "harbours deceit in his heart; when he speaks graciously, believe him not, for there are seven abominations in his heart" [Proverbs 26:24-25]. May there be none in ours, may our speech be totally genuine and sincere.

-------

- DC

22 January 2018

Genesis 37

Psalms 39; 40

Matthew 24  

"AS THE LIGHTNING COMES ..."

What a fascinating set of readings we have today, but the chapter in Matthew is intensely thought provoking and ended up dominating our thoughts. Jesus made awesome predictions about the future as "he sat with them (the disciples) on the Mount of Olives" [Matthew 24:3] The bulk of his predictions related to the destruction of the Temple - and this occurred about 40 years later. But the teachings of Jesus on the mount then go beyond that time to when he will return to earth. It will be dramatic; "as the lightning comes from the east and shines as far as the west, so will be the coming of the Son of Man." [Matthew 24:27] 

It will be an utterly dramatic time; there will be a final time of tribulation, and then, said Jesus, "Immediately after the tribulation of those days the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light, and the stars will fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken. Then will appear in heaven the sign of the Son of Man ... and they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory." [Matthew 24:29-30]  

How literal are these words? We hesitate to be dogmatic, but it would be foolish to "spiritualize" them away!?

The most wonderful (and awe-inspiring) are the words of Jesus, as far as believers are concerned, are in Matthew 24:31 which tells us that " he will send out his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds ..." Jesus likens the time to "the days of Noah, so will be the coming of the Son of Man. For as in those days before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day when Noah entered the ark, and they were unaware until the flood came and swept them all away, so will be the coming of the Son of Man." [Matthew 24:37-39] 

Thankfully, after that flood, God promised "I will never again curse the ground because of man ... as I have done. While the earth remains, seedtime and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night, shall not cease" [Genesis 8:21-22]. Wonderful - and we are experiencing this blessing - but so few these days thank the Creator for them. 

Finally, look at Matthew 24:42-44, "stay awake, for you do not know on what day your Lord is coming ... the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect." And then, indeed, it will be "as the lightning comes ..." We do not know the day or the hour ­ but what about the year? It is now 70 years since Israel became a nation again!

-------

- DC

23 January 2018

Genesis 38

Psalms 41; 42; 43

Matthew 25 

"YOU KNOW NEITHER THE DAY, NOR THE HOUR"

Today we have 3 parables in our chapter in Matthew [Matthew 25] which all convey fundamentally the same lesson. The fact that there are three shows how extremely important the message is. Those who read the Bible regularly will know them well; we must beware of knowing them too well, lest the message loses its power to stir our conscience.

The first one is of the 10 virgins; half are called "wise." What made them "wise" as they waited in the darkness for the cry, "Here is the bridegroom! Come out to meet him." The wise had brought a reserve of oil for their lamps. What does the oil represent? Our conclusion is – it represents "faith", how terrible to have run short of or completely out of faith when the midnight cry is heard. 

Faith cannot be second-hand, it cannot be replenished in a moment. 

The second parable is about talents the Master gives to his servants to use while he is away. They represent, we suggest, the abilities and opportunities to represent the Master in his absence. 

The final parable is of sheep and goats and of "his glorious throne" when the Master returns. Then, and only then, will it be made plain for all to see which are sheep and which are goats – in the Middle East they look very similar. The goats will be blind to their failings, "Lord" they will say "when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to you?" [Matthew 25:44]. 

And he will say, "Truly … as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me" [Matthew 25:45]. 

Put as simply as possible – this is telling us – we are either Christ-centred – or self-centred. 

We must ask ourselves – am I labouring effectively in his vineyard – or not. It seems to many of our age group (as great grandparents) that the Lord is delaying his coming – but the reason is that the final ingathering is not yet quite complete (see Luke 14:22-23 "still there is room. And the Master said, 'Go out to the highways and hedges … that my house may be filled'"). 

So let Christ's challenging words at the end of his parable about the virgins "illuminate" our minds "Watch therefore, for you know neither the day not the hour." This request is more important than ever – for the storm clouds illuminating human helplessness are greater than ever – and the wise virgins need to be together whenever they can. But what are they to "watch" for? We will read tomorrow of Jesus in the garden with his disciples and his request, "…watch with me … Watch and pray … the spirit indeed is willing but the flesh is weak" [Matthew 26:40-41]. Meditate on the kind of watching Jesus is referring to.

-------

- DC

24 January 2018

Genesis 39; 40

Psalms 44

Matthew 26

"UNTIL THAT DAY WHEN ..." 

Our Matthew reading [Matthew 26] recounts the agonies of Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane and his prayers. "My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless not as I will, but as you will" [Matthew 26:39]. Jesus made his "will" conform to his Father's will. And what of our "will"?

Peter was to later write of how Christ, in his commitment to his Father's will "suffered for you, leaving you an example, so that you might follow in his steps" [1 Peter 2:21]. 

Before Jesus and his disciples went into the garden of Gethsemane, Jesus directed them to prepare for a Passover meal on "the first day of unleavened bread" [Matthew 26:17]. Then we read, "Now as they were eating Jesus took bread" - next "he took the cup …" [Matthew 26:26-27] and spoke of a "covenant … for many for the forgiveness of sins" [Matthew 26:28]. The disciples must have been perplexed at his words, but there is no indication they asked him to explain.

But this takes our minds forward to meditate on the record in Acts 2 and the events on the day of Pentecost and "the breaking of bread" [Acts 2:42] that then followed. With what intense meaning would the disciples and all who had just been baptised have taken part! We presume the disciples would earlier have done so after his resurrection and ascension, although there is no record of this – we meditate on the intensity of meaning as they did! How does it compare with ours?  

The disciple would also remember that their Master said, after the command to "Drink, all of you" that he then said, "I will not drink again of this fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom" [Matthew 26:29]. This event is beyond our comprehension – just as what was about to happen then was beyond theirs. 

Could someone like the Apostle Paul grasp the wonder to come? Take note of his words in 1 Corinthians. "What no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the heart of man imagined, what God has prepared for those who love him these things God has revealed to us through the Spirit. For the Spirit searches everything, even the deep things of God" [1 Corinthians 2:9-10]. 

But for us "until that day when …" our faith is turned to sight and the Spirit which is "the powers of the age to come" [Hebrews 6:5] is poured out on the faithful who will reign with him may we be like the Thessalonians whose "faith is growing abundantly" [2 Thessalonians 1:3] live each day to create more and more oil for our lamps (from His word) as this world becomes an ever darker place. What an utter contrast the "light" will be. 

-------

- DC

25 January 2018

Genesis 41

Psalms 45

Matthew 27 

"HIS BLOOD BE ON US"

If anyone dies an unnatural death, there is always an effort to find whether anyone is to blame. As we read the trial of Jesus Christ we see the determination of his enemies to have him put to death. "They all said, 'let him be crucified'" to which Pilate responded, "'Why, what evil has he done?'" [Matthew 27:22-23]. They never answered his question, because there was no answer they could give! By combining the different Gospel records we see the weakness of Pilate. He gave up trying to administer justice and "took water and washed his hands before the crowds, saying, 'I am innocent of this man's blood; see to it yourselves.' And all the people answered, 'His blood be on us and on our children'" [Matthew 27:24-25]. 

At that point they were willing to take all the blame for rejecting Jesus! Now we move the scene of events forward a few months; Jesus had risen from the dead and for 40 days appeared to and consorts with those who believe in him, on one occasion to "more than 500 brothers at one time" [1 Corinthians 15:6]. These believers, especially the immediate disciples, become a powerful influence in Jerusalem with their bold preaching ­ further empowered by the Holy Spirit the 12 had been given after his ascension.

The Jewish leaders and their supporters are powerless ­ they forget what they had told Pilate about Christ's blood being upon them and their children and they arrest the disciples and "set them before the council" saying, "you have filled Jerusalem with your teaching and you intend to bring this man's blood upon us" [Acts 5:28]. 

But the decision was made, the deed was done, Jerusalem is doomed ­ remember how Jesus wept over it. Today we are surrounded by people who are determined to believe there is no God, or who, recognising the need for some spiritual influence in their lives, do little more than preach the second commandment that "you should love your neighbour as yourself." For them Jesus will have died in vain, his blood is upon them. 

Is it clear to God what you believe? It is vital we live in a way that shows we believe that Jesus died for us that we might have eternal life. This world is doomed, like Jerusalem was doomed, we cannot avoid making a decision as to where we stand; no decision means we stand with those who said, "His blood be upon us." 

-------

- DC