TFTBR - August 2017

Resource Manager

01 August 2017

2 Samuel 18

Jeremiah 22

Romans 9

"IS NOT THIS TO KNOW ME"

Who was told to preach this to his people? He also preached God's message, "You have eyes and heart only for your dishonest gain … for practicing oppression and violence." This could also be said in many places today! But what a negative reaction the preacher would get today!  

We read the above today in Jeremiah 22:17 But the previous verse illustrates that in the life of Jeremiah, that not many years earlier, when the good king Josiah reigned, then the behaviour of the people had been better. This can be said today, in comparison with 100+ years ago when the great majority had Bibles, and many read them ­ at least, sometimes.  

We read in Matthew's Gospel last month, the warning of Jesus, [Matthew 6:24] "No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money." Jeremiah was surrounded by those who despised God ­ shown by their actions. This is just as true, if not more so today!

Jeremiah calls upon the people to recall the earlier time; "Did not your father eat and drink and do justice and righteousness? Then it was well with him." [Jeremiah 22:15] Who was this? The teaching of Jeremiah in today's chapter ended with a most powerful phrase! It is what the LORD said in praise of the former good king Josiah who "judged the cause of the poor and needy; then it was well. Is not this to know me? declares the LORD." [Jeremiah 22:16] 

It is indeed the way, the only way to 'know' God ­ our actions prove the real truth of what we say we believe.  God caused Jeremiah to make a promise to the people of what would ultimate happen "if you will indeed obey this word, then there shall enter the gates of this house kings who sit on the throne of David," [Jeremiah 22:4] These parallel promises to this!

Romans 9, today's New Testament chapter ends with the statement, "whoever believes in him will not be put to shame." [Romans 9:33] Paul means ­ genuine belief in Jesus! (confirmed by actions) Our actions must reflect our intimate knowledge of the words of Jesus and others, such as these words of Paul, whom the Father inspired!  

Let us make sure we answer God's question through Jeremiah ­ "Is not this to know me?" To do this we constantly read and absorb the divine word ­ in our hearts.

-------

- DC

02 August 2017

2 Samuel 19

Jeremiah 23

Romans 10; 11

"GOD HAS THE POWER TO GRAFT THEM IN AGAIN"

Romans 11 starts with the question, "Has God rejected his people?" The answer is, "By no means!" This question was being asked because the Jewish people had killed God's son, and their chief priests had declared, "We have no king but Caesar" [John 19:15] so it is was reasonable question to ask. 

Paul says that "at the present time there is a remnant, chosen by grace" [Romans 11:5] and Paul was one of them. But he also sees that, at a future time, "they, if they do not continue in their unbelief will be grafted in, for God has the power to graft them in again." [Romans 11:23] and that the Gentiles should "not be arrogant toward the (natural) branches" [Romans 11:18]. 

Then Paul declares that "a partial hardening has come upon Israel, until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in" [Romans 11:25]. In Romans 10, also our reading today, Paul praises those "who preach the good news" and that "their voice has gone out to all the earth, and their words to the ends of the world" [Romans 10:15,18] words he quoted from Isaiah 52:7 and the Psalms 19:4. God's words have now reached "the ends of the world" ­ as far as we can tell, all the Gentiles have now heard! Printed copies are now available in every language.

What we also read today in Jeremiah will soon take place, indeed it is in process now! "God said, I will gather the remnant of my flock out of all the countries where I have driven them, and I will bring them back to my fold and they shall be fruitful and multiply. I will set shepherds over them who will care for them, and they shall fear no more ..." [Jeremiah 23:3-4]

The prophet is also caused to write of the time when the LORD looks "to see … who has paid attention to his word and listened … The anger of the LORD will not turn back until he has executed and accomplished the intents of his heart. In the latter days you will understand it clearly." [Jeremiah 23:18,23]

Let us make sure we pay attention to his word and that our attention affects the way we decide to live our lives. We ignore or pollute his word at our peril, let us always be conscious of the power God has.

-------

- DC

03 August 2017

2 Samuel 20; 21

Jeremiah 24

Romans 12 

"HOLD FAST TO WHAT IS GOOD"

How many things and experiences can we call 'good' today? We need to think of this as 'good' - as God sees it! It is surely only that which we are 'inspired' to think and do day after day as a result of reading God's word. 

What an uplifting, indeed, inspiring, chapter we have in Paul's letter to the Romans [Romans 12] today! "Let love be genuine" writes Paul [Romans 12:9]. We think of the 'loose' and often meaningless way the word 'love' is used today! Paul continues, "Abhor what is evil" ­ we can translate that as saying ­ have nothing to do with anything that is ungodly!

Then Paul states the positive! "Hold fast to what is good." Let us do that ­ that is - in contrast to things that are ungodly! There seems to be a vast area in between! There is nothing in that area we can 'hold fast' to!

In Romans 12:3 Paul told the believers, "… by the grace given to me I say to everyone … not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think with sober judgment."  

It is with 'sober judgement' that we must 'Hold fast to what is good.  

How challenging it is for us today to put into practice Romans 12:10, "Love one another with brotherly affection. Out do one another in showing honour." Only by constantly associating with those who have the same spiritual commitment can we achieve that - and also "rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer" [Romans 12:12]. Only in this way can we 'Hold fast to what is good.'

-------

- DC

04 August 2017

2 Samuel 22

Jeremiah 25

Romans 13; 14  

"SALVATION IS NEARER TO US  NOW"

What a challenging mixture of chapters we read today. First we read David's remarkable 'song' to the LORD; his 50 verses of praise to him because "the LORD delivered him from the hand of all his enemies …" [2 Samuel 22:1] He began by declaring, "The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge ..."

The many highlights in his life proved that to be true: you and I, especially those of us who have served our Lord for many years, sometimes in distant lands, should be able to echo, to at least some degree, many of the points he makes of the reality of his (our) relationship with his (our) LORD.

David went through times of crisis in his life - as did Jeremiah (as we are seeing in our readings from that book) and, of course, Paul's dramatic and difficult journeys.

No one knows when the end of their mortal journey will come - but the whole world is on a journey - and we can echo the words of Paul we read today, "the hour has come for you to wake from sleep. For salvation is nearer to us now than when we first believed." [Romans 13:11] Paul implores the believers in Rome to "cast off' the works of darkness and put on the armour of light. Let us walk properly as in the daytime ... and make no provision for the flesh, to gratify its desires." [Romans 13:12-14] How close now before 'the hour has come' that God has appointed? 

Our chapter in Jeremiah [Jeremiah 25], his last before the words of God to him become personal about his own increasingly difficult situation made total faith the top priority in his life. This is an example for us.The vision God gives him in today's chapter of the ultimate future, the situation we appear to be so close to now, is awesome is this vision! 

Jeremiah is told "The LORD will roar from on high ... against all the inhabitants of the earth ... the LORD has an indictment against the nations; he is entering into judgment with all flesh ... Behold, disaster is going forth from nation to nation ... a great tempest is stirring …" [Jeremiah 25:30-32]. 

As we see the world in 2017 in increasing uncertainty with the 'bombast' of the U S President and the reactions of other nations and Britain's uncertainties as it leaves the European union (and creating uncertainties within the Union) we increasingly sense that "salvation is nearer to us now than when we first believed."

-------

- DC

05 August 2017

2 Samuel 23

Jeremiah 26

Romans 15; 16 

"I WANT YOU TO BE WISE AS TO WHAT IS GOOD"

The word 'good' is an under-valued word today - the point of its' meaning has been lost in the last 100 years or so. That which is said to be in 'good condition' does not mean that it is perfect – or even excellent! 

The word 'good' occurs in the final chapter of Paul's letter to the Romans that we read today. He told them, "I want you to be wise as to what is good and innocent as to what is evil" [Romans 16:19].  

In Luke 18:18-19 it is instructive to notice how Jesus answered - when ruler asked him, "Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?" And Jesus said to him, "Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone." 

We suggest that Jesus became 'good' in this sense "by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross." [Philippians 2:8] Until then Jesus was not willing to be called 'good.' 

As we seek to "be wise as to what is good" - teamwork is obviously involved! We need to take in the point Paul makes in Romans 15:2, "Let each of us please his neighbour for his good, to build him up. For Christ did not please himself …"

That is a powerful point for us to meditate on today, may we each become more and more "wise as to what is good" and build each other up to become more.

-------

- DC

06 August 2017

2 Samuel 24

Jeremiah 27

Mark 1  

"BUT DAVID'S HEART STRUCK HIM ..."

Today we read how David pressures Joab to find out how many fighting men he has. When David receives the final tally we read, "But David's heart struck him after he had numbered the people. And David said to the LORD, "I have sinned greatly in what I have done. But now, O LORD, please take away the iniquity of thy servant, for I have done very foolishly" [2 Samuel 24:10].   

David knew, indeed had experienced that God does not need a large number to accomplish his purpose, several Scriptures show this – even just one person is enough! 

We pondered the mystery of the chapter's opening words that "the anger of the LORD was kindled against Israel, and he incited David against them, saying, 'Go number Israel …'" The mystery deepens in the parallel record in 1 Chronicles 21:1 which says, "Then Satan stood against Israel and incited David to number Israel." 

How are we to understand this? This is the first time 'Satan' occurs in our English Old Testament, but in the Hebrew text it has already occurred 8 times, usually being translated as 'adversary' and naming who the adversary is! It makes an interesting study.

We start reading Mark's Gospel today and saw what a remarkable impact John the Baptist had had! "All the country of Judea and all Jerusalem were going out to him" [Mark 1:5]. Paul on his travels, years later, encountered 'about twelve men' in Ephesus who had been baptised by John. [Acts 19:3-7]. 

We read how that after John baptised Jesus and "the Spirit descending on him …" that "The Spirit immediately drove him out into the wilderness and he was 'tempted by Satan'" [Mark 1:10,12,13].  

Let us meditate on this strange phraseology: we conclude that God in seeing what men, even men such as David, will do in moments of spiritual blindness. God allows it to happen; he sees how he can weave human weakness into his overall purpose – sometimes allowing human adversaries that test us. Only Jesus, using and quoting the word of God was able to conquer all his human inclinations, setting us an example of how we should call an appropriate Scripture to mind – 'it is written' – and in this way overcome the 'Satan' within. 

In Hebrews 4 we learn that Christ "in every respect has been tempted as we are" [Hebrews 4:15]. Let us pray for support every day to resist the temptations to arise from our fleshly instincts. We note how Paul wrote and told the Hebrews to "lay aside every weight and sin which clings so closely" [Hebrews 12:1].  

Finally, we see in 2 Chronicles 32:31 how God allowed King Hezekiah to be tested! We learn that, God left him to himself to test him and to know all that was in his heart. It was the same with David - so that David's heart struck him. On occasions this surely happens to us!

-------

- DC

07 August 2017

1 Kings 1

Jeremiah 28

Mark 2  

"YOU HAVE MADE THIS PEOPLE TRUST IN A LIE"

As we read Jeremiah's rebuke to the false prophet Hananiah [Jeremiah 28:15] we thought of how this is happening today! We are surrounded by the false teaching and belief in evolution – that there is no God and, as a result, people can live as they please – although, or course, obeying the laws of the country in which they live; although in many cases, some of those laws can be 'bent'! 

Jeremiah tells Hananiah, "... 'you have made this people trust in a lie'.  Therefore thus says the LORD: 'Behold I will remove you from the face of the earth. This year you shall die, because you have uttered rebellion against the LORD'" [Jeremiah 28:15-16] We are in awe of the fate awaits those who are in rebellion against the LORD today!?

On Wednesday we will come to Jeremiah 30 and see how he makes a fascinating long term prophecy. What words the LORD revealed to him! They are God's words – and they are recorded for us to absorb – they are fascinating!

"Behold the days are coming, declares the LORD, when I will restore the fortunes of my people Israel and Judah, says the LORD, and I will bring them back to the land that I gave to their fathers, and they shall take possession of it … behold I will save you from far away … Jacob shall return and have quiet and ease, and none shall make him afraid." [Jeremiah 30:10]  

This is in the process of happening and on Wednesday we hope to make more comments. But note the final sentence in Wednesday's chapter, "In the latter days you will understand this." We are challenged to understand, let us not ignore the challenge and read God's word to build up in our minds a full and true understanding, making sure we do not trust in a lie.

-------

- DC 

08 August 2017

1 Kings 2

Jeremiah 29

Mark 3

"WHOEVER DOES THE WILL OF GOD HE (or she) IS …"

We all want to do the will of God, don't we? The Bible is full of examples of those who claim to do the will of God, but who fail to grasp what the will of God really is! Some deceive themselves into thinking that what they say and do is in harmony with the ways of God – and is therefore his will.

The principle we need to follow is plain – to read God's word regularly and do so with a totally honest God-fearing heart, so that we do not twist its' meaning to suit our own desires.  

What we read today in Mark 3 shows that many of the Jews, especially the religious leaders were obsessed with keeping the Sabbath in a ritualistic way.- creating for themselves the spirit of self-righteousness to such an extent it blinded their minds to what Jesus was saying and doing. Because Jesus healed a man with a withered hand on the Sabbath Day "the Pharisees went out and immediately held counsel with the Herodians against him, how to destroy him." [Mark 3:6] They later made wild allegations against him saying, "He is possessed by Beelzebul the prince of demons" [Mark 3:22]

It is highly interesting that there is no mention of demons, or even the word 'devil' in the Old Testament. Beelzebub gets a mention [2 Kings 1:3] as the idol-God in Ekron! Human imagination about the evil-spirit world had only come as a result of the influence of Greek philosophy when they conquered the ancient world 200 years or so before Christ.

Notice how Jesus, in a sense, 'makes fun' or ridicules their ways of thinking - "How can Satan cast out Satan?" [Mark 3:23]. His family members come to see what is going on, obviously there were rumours circulating about him: they are "standing outside, they sent to him and called him." [Mark 3:31].  

He is told they "are outside seeking you". His response is very significant, "looking about at those who sat around him, he said, 'Here are my mother and my brothers! Whoever does the will of God, he (or she) is my brother and sister and mother.'"

The religious leaders had a corrupted perception of the will of God: we, who have God's word so readily available have no excuse for failing to read it carefully so that we know the ways and principles upon which God acts - and so we do "the will of God" and as a result are truly Christ's "brother and sister and mother."

-------

- DC 

09 August 2017

1 Kings 3

Jeremiah 30

Mark 4 

"WHO THEN IS THIS?" 

The disciples had been constant companions of Jesus, seeing him do remarkable miracles and hearing his teaching. In today's New Testament reading, Mark 4, the point is made that Jesus "did not speak to them without a parable, but privately to his own disciples he explained everything." [Mark 4:34]

How privileged the disciples were - and, in one sense, cannot most of us can say the same!? There is a certain comparison with ourselves, for we have spent many years, in some cases a great many years, daily reading and absorbing the word of God every day. The more we do this, the more the wonder of its' meaning becomes evident in our hearts (as well as our minds).

Now, there is an incident described at the end of today's chapter that should make us ponder – as to the 'strength' of our resultant faith as a result of our reading! Most of the disciples had been fisherman before they followed Jesus and they would know the 'moods' of the sea of Galilee.  

We read how "leaving the crowd, they took him with them in the boat, just as he was." [Mark 4:36] "And a great windstorm arose, and the waves were breaking into the boat, so that the boat was already filling. But he was in the stern, asleep on the cushion. And they woke him and said to him, 'Teacher, do you not care that we are perishing?'" [Mark 4:37-38] It was a panic reaction – they thought only of themselves. What wonders happened then– as far as the disciples were concerned, the next verse tells us what this wonder was!

He awoke and rebuked the wind and said to the sea, "Peace! Be still!" And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm. He said to them, "Why are you so afraid? Have you still no faith?" Their reaction to this rebuke carries a lesson for us that we should take to heart as we ponder the last verse in our chapter!

"And they were filled with great fear and said to one another, 'Who then is this, that even the wind and the sea obey him?'" It was so different from seeing someone healed! 

The parallel for us is that we have seen remarkable events fulfilling prophecy in the Middle East with the re-establishment of Israel. Today's reading in Jeremiah 30 challenges us! In the last verse we read, "The fierce anger of the LORD will not turn back until he has executed and accomplished the intentions of his mind. In the latter days you will understand this." 

The disciples knew (up to a point) who Jesus was, remember how Peter declared! "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God." [Matthew 16:16] As events dramatically unfold upon the world, like the storm on Galilee – we will, spiritually, hear Jesus asking us the question, as he did the disciples, in the height of that awesome storm - "Why are you so afraid? Have you still no faith?"

-------

- DC

10 August 2017

1 Kings 4; 5

Jeremiah 31

Mark 5  

"IF THE HEAVENS ABOVE CAN BE MEASURED" 

It has only been in my lifetime that it has been possible to send rockets into distant space to explore its' extent – and they have discovered that it appears to be limitless! This thought was prompted by our reading in Jeremiah 31 today - which has two remarkable statements!  

First, reading from Jeremiah 31:31, "Behold, the days are coming, declares the LORD, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah, not like the covenant that I made with their fathers … to bring them out of the land of Egypt, my covenant that they broke …" [Jeremiah 31:31-32] 

The 'new covenant' is something we can visualize, that it will happen when Jesus returns, it will be the time when God "will put my law within them, and I will write it on their hearts. And I will be their God, and they shall be my people" [Jeremiah 31:33]: this covenant climaxes with the declaration, "for they shall all know me … for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more" [Jeremiah 31:34]. 

The second remarkable statement is in Jeremiah 31:37 "Thus says the LORD: "If the heavens above can be measured, and the foundations of the earth below can be explored, then I will cast off all the offspring of Israel for all that they have done, declares the LORD." 

These prophecies were made through Jeremiah more than 2,500 years ago. Now, in my lifetime, men have thought they had the ability by using powerful rockets to find the boundaries of space – and found that (as far as they can reach) that it is limitless! And here on earth God's chosen nation have, to some extent, been regathered to their 'holy' land after being driven out more than 1,900 years ago. 

A final thought for us – is a prophecy yet future – it is in Jeremiah 31:23. "Thus says the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel: 'Once more they shall use these words in the land of Judah and in its cities, when I restore their fortunes: The LORD bless you, O habitation of righteousness, O holy hill!'" 

We have seen the first stage of the restoration of the 'fortunes' of God's nation and the verses which follow will see the wondrous fulfilment of the rest of the chapter when God will complete his work to "watch over them to build and to plant, declares the LORD." 

May we have lived in such way that we will "rejoice and be glad when his glory is revealed" [1 Peter 4:13] and achieved by the return of the Lord Jesus and, by his grace, we will be there, to witness remarkable wonders – which today we can only dimly imagine.

-------

- DC

11 August 2017

1 Kings 6

Jeremiah 32

Mark 6  

"AH LORD GOD! IT IS YOU WHO HAVE MADE …"

The above words form the start of Jeremiah's prayer after "the LORD of hosts" had said to him "Houses and fields and vineyards shall again be bought in this land." [Jeremiah 32:15] It obviously needed a miracle for this to happen. Let us now meditate on the 'power' behind the words of Jeremiah 32:17!

"Ah, Lord GOD! It is you who have made the heavens and the earth by your great power and by your outstretched arm! Nothing is too hard for you.  You show steadfast love to thousands, but …" [Jeremiah 32:17-18] The word 'but' in God's word is, what we might call, a 'pivotal' word that we often feel tempted to gloss over! Let us read on in this verse "but you repay the guilt of fathers to their children after them, O great and mighty God, whose name is the LORD of hosts …"

The 'guilt' of Israel was dealt with in Jeremiah's time – as Jerusalem was destroyed – and again when they rejected and killed Jesus, and they and the children of those that killed him suffered as Jerusalem was destroyed again in A.D. 70. But – let us think deeply - what of the 'guilt' of the whole world today!

The LORD told Jeremiah "This evil people, who refuse to hear my words, who stubbornly follow their own heart and have gone after other gods to serve them and worship them they are good for nothing." [Jeremiah 13:10] Now, let us reflect on what the LORD must think of people today! Does he consider them as being 'good for nothing?' Well, when they fail to say, 'Ah, Lord GOD! It is you who have made the heavens and the earth by your great power …' we cannot but fear that the Creator will act and how soon now? But the ultimate outcome will be utterly wonderful! 

A final thought jumps out at us from the book of Revelation – of the time coming when there are loud voices in heaven, saying, "The kingdom of the world has become the kingdom of our Lord and of his Christ, and he shall reign forever and ever." [Revelation 11:15] The true believers who are there will say, 'Ah, Lord GOD! It is you who have made all this!' 

Let us make sure we believe what is true, we must read – and prayerfully absorb – God's word every day.

-------

- DC

12 August 2017

1 Kings 7

Jeremiah 33

Mark 7  

"... FOR ALL IS VANITY AND A STRIVING AFTER WIND"

Today, our reading in 1 Kings 7 provided abundant detail of “Solomon building his own house” [1 Kings 7:1] a project which took him 13 years compared to the Temple which took him 7 years, as we read yesterday. Other building projects followed, such as “the house of the Forest of Lebanon” [1 Kings 7:2] Also he “made the Hall of the Throne where he was to pronounce judgment, even the Hall of Judgment” [1 Kings 7:7] “Solomon also made a house like this hall for Pharaoh’s daughter whom he had taken in marriage.” [1 Kings 7:8]

He possessed a very industrious mind, this is even more evident when we take a look at the book of Ecclesiastes which he wrote. He states there, “I made great works … and planted vineyards for myself. I made myself gardens and parks, and planted in them all kinds of fruit trees … I also had great possessions of herds and flocks” [Ecclesiastes 2:4,5,7] and adds, “I kept my heart from no pleasure … and this was my reward for all my toil” [Ecclesiastes 2:10]

But his final perception is – and this is most likely at the end of his life, especially when God raised up adversaries against him [1 Kings 11:4-14; 11:23] because his foreign wives had drawn away his heart to worship other gods, he had a final reflection on life’s meaning writing, “So I hated life, because what is done under the sun is grievous to me, for all is vanity and a striving after wind.” [Ecclesiastes 2:17]. In the end, his total pre-occupation with the material things of the moment – only gave satisfaction for that moment. There is a lesson in this for a great many today.

In our Jeremiah reading [Jeremiah 33:10] the prophet deplores the state of the holy city that all “is a waste without man or beast … the streets of Jerusalem … are desolate.” But God gives him a vision of the eternal future when, says God, “I will cause a righteous branch to spring up for David (Jesus) and he shall execute justice and righteousness … in those days Judah will be saved and Jerusalem will dwell securely. And this is the name by which it will be called: ‘The LORD is our righteousness’” [Jeremiah 33:15,16] Let us share in this vision of the future with the hope that, by God’s grace, we will be there.

-------

- DC 

13 August 2017

1 Kings 8

Jeremiah 34

Mark 8  

"FOR WHOEVER IS ASHAMED OF ME AND OF MY WORDS" 

What a challenge it is for young people growing up today in Australia and similar prosperous countries (but how do you measure prosperity?) to be bold in making it known that they believe in Jesus, except doing so among the circle of their fellow believers and friends! 

Even more than this, not only to declare they believe he existed 2,000 years ago, but to show how his teaching changed the way a great number of people thought and acted. In fact, his teaching, despite opposition, turned the beliefs of the ancient world upside down!

Now in achieving this it caused many traumatic moments that tested the faith and the convictions of those converted and cost some their lives. Let's compare this with today. The opposite conviction is flooding the world, especially that part of the world that considers itself intelligent and well informed. Those who openly declare their belief in Jesus face increasing ridicule and this makes the challenging words of Jesus we read today in Mark 8 very relevant. 

"For whoever is ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, of him (or her) will the Son of Man be ashamed when he comes in the glory of his Father with the holy angels." [Mark 8:38] How challenging were Jesus' words both to the disciples and the crowd, "If anyone would come after me; let him (or her) deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake and the gospel's will save it. For what does it profit a man (or woman) to gain the whole world and forfeit his life?" [Mark 8:34-36]

Most people today (in Australia at least) think this life is their only life. They try to 'save' this life as much as they can! But those who follow Jesus 'deny' themselves by turning away from the unessential things that fill the minds of those who want nothing to do with believing in Jesus. Jesus said, there are two gates, two pathways and one of them has never been more evident - and "the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter it are many" [Matthew 7:13]. 

Those who enter by the narrow gate must strengthen themselves with daily reading of God's word and resultant meditation on life's true realities - for only this leads to eternal life. 

-------

- DC

14 August 2017

1 Kings 9

Jeremiah 35

Mark 9

"THEY HAVE NOT LISTENED" 

Have you heard of the Rechabites? Jeremiah is told to "go to the house of the Rechabites" [Jeremiah 35:2] "and bring them to the house of the LORD … then offer them wine to drink." This event was to be a lesson which Jeremiah could convey to the people. 

Jeremiah says, "I brought them to the house of the LORD into the chamber of the sons of Hanan and set before the Rechabites pitchers full of wine and cups, and I said to them, 'Drink Wine'" [Jeremiah 35:4-5] but they refused saying, "We will drink no wine, for Jonadab, the son of Rechab, our father commanded us, 'You shall not drink wine, neither you nor your sons forever' … We have obeyed the voice of Jonaadab … in all that he has commanded us." [Jeremiah 35:6-8]

The LORD then tells Jeremiah, "Go and say to the people of Judah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem, 'Will you not receive instruction and listen to my words?' declares the LORD. The command that Jonadab, the son of Rechab gave to his sons to drink no wine, has been kept, and they drink none to this day, for they have obeyed their father's command. I have spoken to you persistently but you have not listened to me. I have sent to you all my servants … saying 'Turn every one of you from his evil way, amend your deeds'  But you did not incline your ear or listen to me." [Jeremiah 35:13-15]  

Because of this willful deafness, the warning from the LORD goes forth, "Behold I am bringing … all the disaster I have pronounced against them, because I have spoken to them, and they have not listened." [Jeremiah 35:17]  

Today, surely God can say something like, "my words that I caused to be written and preserved and spread into all languages are no longer read; nearly all the people alive today do not want to know, they have not read or listened, the life that surrounds them is too interesting, there is a multitude of voices and sounds made by those who do not know me, many saying, 'There is no God we should heed and be in awe of.'" Those who read God's word must say to each other, 'Let us make sure we are not among those who have not listened.' 

We who read – what is the result if we are doing it sincerely with all our heart? Jesus told his disciples, "you are clean because of the word that I have spoken to you." [John 15:3] We can see how that word changed the disciples' lives' when they realized their Saviour had died for them. Our listening and reading must have the same effect. 

-------

- DC

15 August 2017

1 Kings 10

Jeremiah 36

Mark 10  

"HOW DIFFICULT IT WILL BE FOR …"

A verse in Mark 10, today's reading, says how "How difficult it will be for those who have wealth to enter the kingdom of God!" [Mark 10:23] It set us thinking as to what constitutes wealth today? There would be different answers in different countries! 

The young man to whom Jesus said this "had great possessions" [Mark 10:22]. The previous verse told us, "And Jesus, looking at him, loved him". Why did Jesus love him? Well, firstly Jesus sees more than the outside appearance! We read that he "ran up and knelt before him" [Mark 10:17]; running indicates his eagerness, kneeling, his submissiveness.  

In the conversation that followed about the commandments of God he replied, "Teacher all these I have kept from my youth" [Mark 10:20]. But the young man had "great possessions" and he went away "sorrowful" when told to "sell all that you have". Does this mean that if you have few or no possessions and no money in the bank you are going to be in the kingdom of God? Of course not! 

James, in his epistle, writes, "Listen my beloved brothers, has not God chosen those who are poor in this world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom" [James 2:5]. This is the heart of the matter – "rich in faith" – and James then writes [James 2:14-17] describing how we show our faith by how Christ-like we become and in what we do with our lives.  

Now back to that challenging question – what constitutes wealth today? We live in a vastly different world to the First Century. The great majority have forms of "wealth" which attract them to occupy their minds in spiritually unproductive ways day after day.  

Jesus invited the young man to "come follow me" after he had disposed of his wealth. There is a idea, that cannot be proved, but is interesting; that the young man did end up following Jesus; he is the one who "sold a field that belonged to him and brought the money and laid it at the apostles feet" [Acts 4:37]. Let us put the "wealth" of the things that attract and distract us today to one side – where possible – using it in spiritual ways - and lay up "treasure in heaven."

That does not mean we will go to heaven for obtain our "treasure" but, as the last chapter in the Bible reveals the final words of Jesus "Behold, I am coming soon, bringing my recompense with me, to repay each one for what he has done." [Revelation 22:12]. They will at last eat of "the tree of life" [Revelation 22:19].

-------

- DC

16 August 2017

1 Kings 11

Jeremiah 37

Mark 11 

"MY HOUSE SHALL BE CALLED A HOUSE OF PRAYER" 

Before he was arrested Jesus was in the Temple: now the Jews were misusing the Temple, it was partly used as a sort of market place; there were "money changers" and "those who sold pigeons." We read this today in Mark 11:15. 

Imagine the drama when Jesus "entered the temple and began to drive out those who sold and those who bought." How he challenged them when "he overturned the tables of the money-changers and the seats of those who sold pigeons. And he would not allow anyone to carry anything through the temple." [Mark 11:16]

We wonder how much notice they were taking of what he was saying to them; he was quoting from the prophet Isaiah, words we read at the beginning of last month. Jesus was teaching them and saying to them, "Is it not written, 'My house shall be called a house of prayer for all the nations'? But you have made it a den of robbers." [Mark 11:17]. We read recently in Jeremiah 7:11, how the same misuse of the Temple was happening in his days – before it was destroyed. Oh the wonder of life on earth when it is "called" and used as "a house of prayer for all the nations"! 

What a reaction Jesus had to his actions! When "the chief priests and the scribes heard it (they) were seeking a way to destroy him." [Mark 11:18]. Jesus was acting to build up their resentment and anger toward him. By comparison – "all the crowd was astonished at his teaching."

There is probably a good comparison here – with when the Bible was first translated into English and other languages. People were astonished to find in how many places its' words differed from what they had been taught! There was great interest – and many committed their lives to God. 

Unfortunately many soon took the easy way of leaving their learning to priests and ministers of their day. How few teach today that there is going to be a house of prayer for all the nations'? But those who still read God's word – and meditate on what they read - look forward with great spiritual anticipation to when there will be "a house of prayer for all the nations." 

-------

- DC

17 August 2017

1 Kings 12

Jeremiah 38

Mark 12  

"YOU KNOW NEITHER THE SCRIPTURES NOR THE POWER OF GOD"

The words above were spoken by Jesus to the Sadducees and are found in Mark 12:24. This religious group, who were separate from the Pharisees, "say that there is no resurrection." [Mark 12:18]. They came to Jesus and put a question to him about a woman who had had 7 husbands, one after another but left no offspring. 

Their question is, "In the resurrection, when they rise again, whose wife will she be? For the seven had her as wife." [Mark 12:23]. Jesus' reply is instructive to us about the nature of life in the kingdom; he told them, "you know neither the Scriptures nor the power of God? For when they rise from the dead, they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels …" [Mark 12:24-25]

Our minds then went to the passage Paul quoted to the Corinthians [1 Corinthians 2:9] "… no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the heart of man imagined, what God has prepared for those who love him."

Let us make sure we "love him" – love that is shown by actions, not just words. Our love must be in response to God's love for us! How deeply the words of John, in his First Epistle cause us to meditate on this! He wrote, "Beloved, we are God's children now, and what we will be has not yet appeared; but we know that when he appears we shall be like him, because we shall see him as he is. And everyone who thus hopes in him purifies himself as he is pure." [1 John 3:2-3]

Let us "know … the Scriptures" and through them more clearly sense "the power of God" and every day purify our thinking – and resultant actions – being ready, as much as we can, for that wondrous day when, by his grace, we become "like angels." 

-------

- DC

18 August 2017

1 Kings 13

Jeremiah 39

Mark 13  

"YOU DO NOT KNOW WHEN THE TIME WILL COME"

Today we again read what is known as "The Olivet Prophecy"; we read it every 2 months, is it TOO familiar to us? This teaching of Jesus is specifically to his disciples as they sat on the Mount of Olives where they could look down on the Temple. He had shocked them by saying the Temple was going to be destroyed. They were bewildered; they were expecting him to very soon assert his rule as king with a miraculous demonstration of power. 

Much of our chapter today [Mark 13] is primarily about the coming destruction of the Temple and Jerusalem and the extreme plight of the people at that time. This happened in AD70. But in places Jesus extends his visionary words beyond that time to his second coming when there will be an even greater time of trouble for the whole world, but centred on Jerusalem.  Some of his words apply to both that time (AD67-70) when, according to Josephus a million Jews died, but other of his words apply specifically to that final time of trouble, a time of "such tribulation as has not been from the beginning of creation until now and never will be (again)." [Mark 13:19]

Christ's words end with a personal message and parable for all true believers. "Be on your guard, stay awake. For you do not know when the time will come" [Mark 13:33]. Jesus talks of a "man going on a journey" (himself) who "puts his servants in charge, each with his work" [Mark 13:34] What is the work of these servants? They are in charge! In charge of what? The answer is that they should be representing him, they are in charge of his delivering his message, although they "do not know when the Master will come" [Mark 13:35].

On another occasion Jesus answered a query by Peter by warning that some servants would think "My Master is delayed in coming and begins to beat fellow servants and to eat and drink and get drunk, and the master of that servant will come … (at) an hour he does not know" [Luke 12:45-46]. The lack of diligent Bible reading today by the servants the Lord has left in charge is becoming more evident. Yet many know the world knows it is facing an impossible future and more and more people, especially young people are living for the moment, which is all they care to think about. Are you a servant of the Lord? If so, hear Jesus' words in your heart, 'Be on your guard, stay awake, serve him daily, for you do not know when the time will come'.

-------

- DC

19 August 2017

1 Kings 14

Jeremiah 40

Mark 14  

"WATCH AND PRAY THAT YOU MAY NOT  …"

Jesus said to the 3 disciples with him in the garden of Gethsemane before he was arrested; "Watch and pray that you may not enter into temptation." [Mark 14:38] How were they going to be in danger of falling into temptation where they were? What kind of temptation were they going to experience? It was obviously dark; very few people were about as Jesus was praying in the Garden with three of his most loyal disciples. We suspect that his words were accepted by them as some kind of parable.

Judas came "and with him a crowd with swords and clubs, from the chief priests …" and he "went up to him at once and said, 'Rabbi!' And he kissed him. And they laid hands on him and seize him" [Mark 14:45-46]. The 3 disciples, initially, "left him and fled" [Mark 14:50]. Now Jesus has said this was going to happen; after they had sung a hymn on the Mount of Olives Jesus said to them, "You will all fall away, for it is written, 'I will strike the shepherd, and the sheep will be scattered.'' [Mark 14:27]

Now, we must perceive and meditate on the parallel message for us – today in 2017! First we note what we read later in the chapter about the words of Jesus to the High Priest after bluntly he asked; "Are you the Christ?" [Mark 14:61]. 

Jesus said, "I am, and you will see the Son of Man seated at the right hand of Power, and coming with the clouds of heaven." This appears to mean that the High Priest would be raised to see the wonder of the return of Jesus! This is also stated in Matthew's Gospel, "Jesus said to him … you will see the Son of Man … coming on the clouds of heaven." [Matthew 26:64] There seems no way top understand this as anything other than the forecast of a literal event!

We think this will be virtually parallel with our resurrection – if we have fallen asleep! Paul wrote that "God will bring with him those who have fallen asleep." [1 Thessalonians 4:14]. It is an absorbing study to fit the references about this together. But our minds must be centred on the present, on the here and now! Let "watch and pray" and be ready to "see" – if it is our Lord's will, that we "will see the Son of Man seated at the right hand of Power, and coming with the clouds of heaven."  

-------

- DC

20 August 2017

1 Kings 15

Jeremiah 41

Mark 15

"THAT WE MAY SEE AND BELIEVE" 

What does it need before people believe anything? Today we have more means of obtaining convincing evidence to prove something than ever before!There is more evidence of the incredible marvels of creation than ever before - yet more than ever people have their minds so set on believing there is no God, no Creator, that all that exists is the result of pure chance. Indeed, to believe that all the remarkable forms of life came to exist – out of total nothingness! 

Part of the responsibility for the emergence of this attitude of thinking must rest upon the poor image of the fractured churches. Over the centuries they become fractured and factionalized and worship often became a ritual instead of a conviction of the heart arising from a diligent reading of God's word and an honest look at all the remarkable forms of life.

When the Bible was first printed and 'ordinary' people could read it themselves there was a real spiritual awakening. Such awakening is a personal matter; the scriptures tell us that the Creator has power to see the hearts of all and knows those who are genuinely seeking. How tragic when he finds none! 

We are reading in Jeremiah the tragedy that befell Jerusalem and it reminds us of Psalm 81 about the attitude of God. "My people did not listen to my voice … so I gave them over to their stubborn hearts" [Psalm 81:11-12]. Now we meditated along this way after reading the words quoted at the top of these thoughts. They occur in today's reading of Mark 15. Jesus is on the cross and "the chief priests with the scribes mocked him to one another, saying 'He saved others; he cannot save himself. Let the Christ, the King of Israel, come down from the cross that we may see and believe.'" [Mark 15:31-32] 

They had closed their minds to all the remarkable things he had done. When many believed in Jesus because of the raising of Lazarus these men even planned to put Lazarus as well as Jesus to death [John 12:10]. This demonstrated the fact that when human beings lock their minds into a way of thinking then no amount of evidence to the contrary matters. This is happening today with the convictions of belief in evolution.

Paul wrote, "we walk by faith, not by sight" [2 Corinthians 5:7] but our faith rests upon an abundance of evidence and one day, and it seems it could be very soon, our faith will be turned to sight! But for those, like the scoffers at the cross, who say they will believe only when they see - it will be too late! Are there any unbelievers reading this?  May they learn to "walk by faith" and believe.

-------

- DC

21 August 2017

1 Kings 16

Jeremiah 42

Mark 16 

"TREMBLING AND ASTONISHMENT … SEIZED THEM"

The final chapter of Mark's gospel tells us of the reaction of the 3 women who came first to the tomb. A "young man," most evidently an angel, said to them, "Do not be alarmed. You seek Jesus of Nazareth, who was crucified. He has risen; he is not here. See the place where they laid him." [Mark 16:6]. Ponder their feelings! It causes us to think what our reaction is going to be when it is evident that Jesus is returning – or has returned! 

Those 3 who came to the tomb first "fled from the tomb, for trembling and astonishment had seized them, and they said nothing to anyone, for they were afraid ..." Mary Magdalene also came to the tomb, and Mark 16:10 tells us, "he appeared first to Mary Magdalene" (and we read of this detail commencing John 20:1.)

Was the reaction of those who came to the tomb first - understandable? What will our reaction be if we are alive when it is evident that Jesus is returning.  Remember what we read 3 days ago in Mark 13 how some "will see the Son of Man coming in clouds with great power and glory. And then he will send out the angels and gather his elect" [Mark 13:27] How "alarmed" will we be!? The world will surely be filled with trembling and astonishment!? 

Our reaction will surely confirm, to our Lord's all seeing eyes whether or not we really believe! A final thought comes from what we read last week in Mark 8 – how Peter reacted negatively to the prediction of Jesus of what is going to happen, how he would "be killed, and after three days rise again." 

Jesus told him he was "not setting (his) mind on the things of God, but on the things of man." [Mark 8:33]. What are we "setting" our minds upon? Let us set them on the reality of our Lord's return – and then "trembling and astonishment" will not seize us!  

Remember what Jesus said to his disciples, [John 16:22] "I will see you again, and your hearts will rejoice, and no one will take your joy from you." May that be wonderfully true – in our own experience – and soon!

-------

- DC

22 August 2017

1 Kings 17

Jeremiah 43

1 Corinthians 1; 2  

"IT WAS NOT THE WISDOM OF THIS AGE"

Paul writes some very challenging things in 1 Corinthians. In our days our world, through its "imagined" wisdom, believes in evolution. Many think that everything in some mysterious way sort of "created" itself – and wonderfully manages to work together!  

The world says, but cannot explain, how the birds, the flowers and the bees for examples, sort of came into being themselves – and then became able to "work supportively together" in an utterly wonderful way.

Paul told the Corinthians, in his first letter to them, which we started reading today, "For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing" [1 Corinthians 1:18] – and so it has become today in the minds of nearly everyone. Then Paul powerfully says, "but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. For it is written, 'I will destroy the wisdom of the wise'" [1 Corinthians 1:19] We do not think of "power" in that sense! Has your mind developed "power"?

It is not long now before God "destroys" the false "wisdom" which the worldly wise indulge in - the "wisdom" they have acquired through human "scientific" deductions; for they have come to the "knowledge" that there is NO God!  

In contrast, our wisdom is to recognise the events which turned the thinking in the world of the First Century upside down - as to the meaning of life. "It was not a wisdom of this age" [1 Corinthians 2:6] says Paul; then he stresses that, "Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is from God, that we might understand the things freely given to us by God. And we impart this in words not taught by human wisdom, but taught by the Spirit …" [1 Corinthians 2:12-13]

God's Spirit caused Paul and the other apostles to write things down so that we can feed our minds on this spirit inspired word. Remember how Jesus told his disciples, "The words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life." [John 6:63] Let us make sure our minds carefully and prayerfully feed on this God given food every day.

-------

- DC

23 August 2017

1 Kings 18

Jeremiah 44

1 Corinthians 3  

"EACH ONE'S WORK WILL BECOME MANIFEST"

Our Old Testament chapters today (1 Kings 18 and Jeremiah 44) both illustrate the ungodly actions of those who fail to remain faithful to the one true God but it seems even worse today! 

King Ahab follows the false god of Baal – a god of human imagination – as all such God's are. Elijah alone is the only prophet who is outspokenly faithful to the one true God. Baal's prophets are proved false – and are killed – but this, as we will see tomorrow creates a test – and a faith-challenging experience for Elijah!

Almost the whole world has abandoned any belief that there is a Creator – we can say they worship the god of evolution – which allows them to "worship" whatever attracts them. There is no doubt that a God-ordained tragedy lies ahead. Let us remember what we read in Romans a few weeks ago – about Abraham's example of faith!

"No unbelief made him waver concerning the promise of God, but he grew strong in his faith as he gave glory to God, fully convinced that God was able to do what he had promised. That is why his faith was "counted to him as righteousness." [Romans 4:20-22] Our faith will become manifest by our work for our Lord: this will be made known when Christ returns – and how soon now!

Our thoughts followed along this path as we read 1 Corinthians 3 today. "Each one's work will become manifest, for the Day will disclose it, because it will be revealed by fire, and the fire will test what sort of work each one has done. If the work that anyone has built on the foundation survives, he will receive a reward." [1 Corinthians 3:13]. What work for our Lord can we do today? And all the days until our Lord comes – and how soon will that be now?

And what is the foundation? 1 Corinthians 3:11 tells us it "is Jesus Christ."

Let us make sure that our relationship with him is truly genuine! 

-------

- DC

24 August 2017

1 Kings 19

Jeremiah 45; 46

1 Corinthians 4; 5

"IT IS ACTUALLY REPORTED THAT ... "

Our reading today of Paul's admonition to the believers at Corinth contains an important lesson of the need to take action when it is necessary, but any action must be undertaken in love, just as when parents see it necessary to discipline their child – out of love for their child. 

We read, "It is actually reported that there is sexual immorality among you, and of a kind that is not tolerated even among pagans, for a man has his father's wife. And you are arrogant! [1 Corinthians 5:1-2] It does not say his mother, so we presume she has died and this is his father's second wife. 

Why were they arrogant? Had their broad-mindedness created this? Such "pride" is growing in many parts of the world today, a spirit of permissiveness that all things that do not actually hurt someone else are allowable, many churches are becoming at least a little affected by this and appear pleased with their attitude. 

Paul says, "Your boasting is not good. Do you not know that a little leaven leavens the whole lump?" [1 Corinthians 5:6] As a permissive spirit spreads it corrupts everything – just like rust. 

This was starting to happen among the believers in Corinth and Paul is very concerned about this and he says, "you are to deliver this man to Satan for the destruction of the flesh so that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord." [1 Corinthians 5:5]

It is not clear what "to deliver" him means. In his second letter to them Paul writes of how "a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to harass me, to keep me from being too elated" [2 Corinthians 12:7] Paul came to realize the positive side of this from God's point of view and then wrote, "for the sake of Christ then, I am content with weaknesses … for when I am weak, then I am strong." [2 Corinthians 12:10]

What is the type of strength that really matters? It is brought about by situations that cause believers to really know and trust in their Lord.

As this world grows more godless, believers must stand firm by Christ's principles, noting Paul words, "I am writing to you not to associate with anyone who bears the name of brother (or sister) if he is guilty of sexual immorality or greed, or is an idolater, reviler, drunkard, or swindler …" [1 Corinthians 5:11].

Finally, let us note Paul's words in his second letter [2 Corinthians 2:2-8] and the good results that standing firm lead to in this case. Note also his words in Galatians 6:1.

-------

- DC

25 August 2017

1 Kings 20

Jeremiah 47

1 Corinthians 6  

"YOUR BODY IS THE TEMPLE OF THE HOLY SPIRIT"

How utterly challenging in a spiritual sense – is the above statement of the Apostle Paul! This is what he told the believers at Corinth. 

To fully perceive the reality and wonder of this, would give the Corinthians the spiritual strength to grow to become more and more like Christ. And surely the same applies to us today. 

Paul put a most significant question to the believers at Corinth. "Do you not know that your body is …" [1 Corinthians 6:19] Is what? Do you know the rest of this quotation – and if you know it, have you (and I) absorbed its' full significance?

What an awesome thing it is to know – in our hearts – that our "body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body." 

We must so use our body, day by day, indeed, hour by hour, so that the things we physically do, day by day, bring, in some sense, glory to God. The outstanding example we are reading about at the moment in 1 Kings 18; 19 is the dedication and resultant experiences of Elijah in serving the Lord: we read of his challenging experience on Mount Carmel yesterday. Today we read an astonishing sequel!

Suddenly Elijah's faith collapsed! Ahab's wife Jezebel was going to have him killed! He asked that he might die, saying, "It is enough; now, O LORD, take away my life, for I am no better than my fathers." [1 Kings 19:4] 

Elijah fled – for 40 days! He "lodged in" a cave. [1 Kings 19:9] and then "heard … the sound of a low whisper." [1 Kings 19:12] "There came a voice to him and said, 'What are you doing here, Elijah?'" [1 Kings 19:13] 

Do we ever sense our Lord asking us this – when we are dodging our opportunities and responsibilities in serving him, forgetting Paul's words, "You are not your own" for we have been "bought with a price" and our "body is a temple of the Holy Spirit." 

-------

- DC