TFTBR - July 2017

Resource Manager

01 July 2017

1 Samuel 13

Isaiah 56; 57

Revelation 21; 22  

"THESE I WILL BRING … AND MAKE THEM JOYFUL"

What a challenging mixture of Divine messages we have in today's readings - but this is usually the case, this is why we find reading God's word so meaningful – and challenging. 

In Isaiah 56:1 Isaiah is told "Thus says the LORD: 'Keep justice, and do righteousness, for soon my salvation will come, and my righteousness be revealed.'" This is "soon" in time as God sees it, as we also see today in Revelation 22:7. But we sense this will "soon" be time as we see it today! Our increasingly godless world cannot continue as it is much longer! 

Isaiah 56:2 says of God's righteousness - "Blessed is the man who does this, and the son of man who holds it fast." Jesus was the ultimate "Son of man" (e.g. Matthew 26:2,24,45,64) and has set us the ultimate example of holding fast to righteousness. They are the ones [isaiah 56:4] "who choose the things that please me and hold fast my covenant" and as a result "I will give them an everlasting name that shall not be cut off." [isaiah 56:5]

In Isaiah 56:6-7 we learn that foreigners (not just Jews) who join themselves to the LORD, to minister to him, to love the name of the LORD, and to be his servants, everyone who … "holds fast my covenant these I will bring to my holy mountain, and make them joyful in my house of prayer … for my house shall be called a house of prayer for all peoples."

These words are taken up by the Lord Jesus who said, "Is it not written, 'My house shall be called a house of prayer for all the nations'"? [Mark 11:17] How joyful will be that time! It will be the ultimate time when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth [John 4:23] - for those who have held "fast" to God's covenant - the Lord will "make them joyful in my house of prayer."

-------

- DC

02 July 2017

1 Samuel 14

Isaiah 58

Matthew 1; 2

"AS IF THEY WERE A NATION THAT DID RIGHTEOUSNESS"

Fasting means abstaining; deliberately depriving ourselves of something. It is usually undertaken as an act of submissive worship. Jesus criticised the religious leaders who disfigure their faces that their fasting may be seen by others, deliberately making themselves look gloomy [Matthew 6:16]. Jesus classes them as "hypocrites".

What provoked our thoughts on this was the message that God gave through Isaiah in the chapter we read today. The prophet is told to "declare to my people their transgressions" [isaiah 58:1]. The Almighty observed that "they seek me daily and delight to know my ways as if they were a nation that did righteousness" [isaiah 58:2]. The people question why God was not responding to such worship with blessings, asking "Why have we fasted, and you see it not? Why have we humbled ourselves and you take no knowledge of it?" [isaiah 58:3]

The answer is in the next verse, "Behold, in the day of your fast you seek your own pleasure." It was a ritual they went through, their attitude and motives were entirely wrong. It did not change their ungodly behaviour, "you fast only to quarrel and fight" [isaiah 58:4] was the response. 

Does our participation in acts of worship and studies together have a good effect on our behaviour? Is such participation totally genuine – from our hearts? It is important to see how Isaiah records that God is looking for other kinds of fasting, ones that are praiseworthy from his perspective as he observes them being practiced.  

These are the significant words. "Is this not the fast that I choose: to loose (abstain from) the bonds of wickedness … Is it not to share your bread with the hungry and bring the homeless poor into your house …" [isaiah 58:6-7] If you do these sort of things, this sort of fasting, abstaining/depriving yourself so that you can help others in need; then "the LORD will guide you continually … and you will be like a watered garden" [isaiah 58:11] How our world has become a spiritual desert, it has no time for "the water of life" [Revelation 21:6] as we read yesterday. How much is this spirit affecting you? 

-------

- DC

03 July 2017

1 Samuel 15

Isaiah 59

Matthew 3; 4  

"... A SEPARATION BETWEEN YOU AND YOUR GOD"

Isaiah's message keeps returning to the theme of the need for reality in human thinking about their relationship with God. Belief in God in those days was not like it is with so many today, indeed in some countries today the majority do not seem to believe in any God at all!  

In Isaiah's day it was worse than that! How was that? Well, they acknowledged that there was a God, but then their "blindness" caused them to fail to have any relationship with him. This, in God's eyes was worse, than a failure to believe he existed! 

Isaiah 59 starts with the words, "Behold, the LORD's hand is not shortened that it cannot save, or his ear dull, that it cannot hear, but your iniquities have made a separation between you are your God, and your sins have hidden his face from you so that he does not hear." 

In tomorrow, in Isaiah 60, we will see how Isaiah tries to inspire them towards a healing of this "separation." In Isaiah 60:2 he draws a contrast between their situation and the rest of the people in the world. 

"For behold, darkness shall cover the earth and thick darkness the people." In contrast, the next words are, "but the LORD will arise upon you, and his glory will be seen upon you. And nations will come to your light" [isaiah 60:3] Notice that phrase "your light". Genuine believers in God, if they have a real relationship with Him would shed forth a light in the darkness – a relationship which today is wonderfully established and seen by the eye of faith to become, ultimately, a light to all nations! 

Jesus said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness" [John 8:12] In our Matthew 5 reading tomorrow we will see how he tells his disciples, "You are the light of the world … let your light shine before others, so they may see your good works and give glory to your Father …" [Matthew 5:14,16] 

For our light to shine we must have a real relationship with God so we "shine" through all we say and do, and as a result, in the future, we will become part of the divine "light" in the kingdom age.  

When we come to Isaiah 61 and its vision of the Kingdom we will be inspired by the words - "you shall be called priests of the LORD; they shall speak of you as the ministers of our God" [isaiah 61:6]. To be alive then and to serve the Lord in this way – we need to know the Lord now! May there be no separation between us and our God now!

-------

- DC

04 July 2017

1 Samuel 16

Isaiah 60

Matthew 5  

"… A JOY FROM AGE TO AGE"

What a fascinating thought challenging set of chapters we have today. In 1 Samuel 16 we see how Samuel is sent to Bethlehem to anoint as king in place of Saul a son of Jesse "him whom I declare to you." [1 Samuel 16:3] There are parallel with Jesus being born in Bethlehem! 

Then we have a remarkable chapter in Isaiah today; a number of its verses reflect some in the final chapters in Revelation that we read a few days ago. They picture the ultimate time to come when the perfect age is reached and the whole world becomes a garden of Eden populated by perfected people. This is what God intended from the beginning of creation! Today through Isaiah the LORD reveals Jerusalem will be the centre of worship.  

We read "… they shall call you the City of the LORD, the Zion of the Holy One of Israel … I will make you majestic forever, a joy from age to age." [isaiah 60:14-15] Isaiah 60:19 also anticipates what is portrayed in Revelation 21:22-27, "The sun shall no more be your light by day, nor for brightness shall the moon give you light, but the LORD will be your everlasting light …"

Isaiah's chapter ends with the words. "I am the LORD; in its time I will hasten it." This is reflected in the use of the word "quickly" in Revelation, it occurs 3 times in its last chapter that we read last Friday. The leaders in the world today have been increasingly uncertain about the future. Many nations are in trouble and "climate change" cannot be changed. But, in particular, and this is what they are not concerned about, the spiritual darkness – and this has become intense. Note the 2nd verse of our Isaiah chapter, "… behold, darkness shall cover the earth, and thick darkness the peoples; but the LORD will arise …" [isaiah 60:2] 

In today's New Testament reading, Matthew 5 is a remarkable chapter! But note first that Jesus is not teaching the "great crowds (that) follow him" (last verse, Matthew 4:25) but, "seeing the crowds, he went up on the mountain and when he sat down his disciples came to him. And he opened his mouth and taught them …" [Matthew 5:1-2] All of us who believe we are genuine disciples, or aim to be, must see this teaching as personally addressed to us.

"Blessed are the meek (gentle), for they shall inherit the earth. (not heaven) Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied. Blessed are the merciful for they shall receive mercy. Blessed are the pure in heart for they shall see God." [Matthew 5:5-8] The Greek word for "pure" is elsewhere in Matthew translated as "clean" [Matthew 23:26; 27:59]. Are you cleansing your heart? You are!? Then you will experience "joy from age to age."

-------

- DC

05 July 2017

1 Samuel 17

Isaiah 61

Matthew 6  

"THE DAY OF VENGEANCE" 

We read 3 fascinating chapters this morning! First was the account of David's total faith "in the living God" as he went forth against Goliath – he had no confidence in human armour and we should have no confidence in human reasoning. Then in Matthew's gospel we read the continuation of the sermon on the mount and the many vital principles we need to live by today; "do not be anxious" about having the food, drink and clothing you need. There is a difference between what human beings "want" and what they "need".  

We need what is essential "Your heavenly Father knows that you need them all" [Matthew 6:31-32] "But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added unto you." [Matthew 6:33] When will they be added? Consider the wonder of what we learn in our other reading!

Isaiah 61 starts with the verses Jesus read in the Synagogue [Luke 4:18-19], "The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me, because the LORD has anointed me to bring good news to the poor; he has sent me to bind up the broken hearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to those who are bound; to proclaim the year of the LORD's favour" – but then he stopped! He then told his audience, "Today is this scripture fulfilled …" – challenging them to recognise his ministry – who he really was!

What he did not read – was the next statement, "and the day of the Lord's vengeance." But, wonderfully, after the time of the Lord's vengeance (which came first to the Jews, and is now imminent for the Gentiles – all other nations) – after this will come blessings beyond our ability to visualize.

These are for those who have truly followed the Lord after accepting (in true faith) from their hearts the "good news" (gospel) and followed the way of life he proclaimed. We learn in Isaiah that these "shall be called the priests of the LORD; they shall speak of you as the ministers of our God; you shall eat the wealth of the nations and … shall have everlasting joy." [isaiah 61:6-7] Let us be ready to endure "the day of vengeance"; accepting Jesus' point which we will see when we come to Matthew 10:22 "the one who endures to the end will be saved."

-------

- DC

06 July 2017

1 Samuel 18

Isaiah 62

Matthew 7  

"I NEVER KNEW YOU, DEPART FROM ME" 

The teachings of Jesus recorded in Matthew's gospel are, in today' chapter [Matthew 7] especially, very black and white. They apply just as much today; you are either on the side of Jesus or you are not! If you are - you are against him. 

Jesus tells them, "Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing" [Matthew 7:15]. A genuine "prophet" is one who speaks on behalf God – and this does not only apply to foretelling the future, although it can often "picture" the ultimate future which will be the outcome of our reaction to the "genuine" prophet.

Such a prophet is one who speaks for God, bringing his word: it does not have to be one who foretells future events, although often his words include reference to God's ultimate judgements – the outcomes of the way, good or bad, in which humans choose to live their lives.

There is just a "broad way" or a "narrow gate" [Matthew 7:13] – nothing in between, no other option for our journey through life: nearly everyone today is choosing the "broad way."

Jesus warns, "Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves. You will recognize them by their fruits." [Matthew 7:16] 

Fruits!? That is, the outcome of the teaching of these false prophets. When we come to Matthew 23 we will see how bluntly spoken Jesus becomes, provoking their determination to get rid of him. "You … outwardly appear righteous to others, but within you are full of hypocrisy and lawlessness." [Matthew 23:28]

Back in Matthew 7 we notice how, from Matthew 7:22 Jesus begins to refer to "on that day" – it becomes evident that he is referring to the day of his return and the resurrection. "On that day many will say to me, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?' And then will I declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.'"

Jesus then teaches the parable of building houses. One is built on sand – and one on rock!. Clearly he is referring to how we "build" our lives! In Matthew 7:26-27 we read of those whom Jesus "never know" who are to "depart from" him – and this has an eternal sense. These, says Jesus, are those who "'hear these words of mine and does not do them' they will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand."  

What are we building our lives upon? What is the foundation to our thinking – and resultant actions? What will Jesus say to us when he returns – and how soon now!? Let us make sure, by the way we live our lives that we will NOT say "Depart from me."

-------

- DC

07 July 2017

1 Samuel 19

Isaiah 63

Matthew 8  

"LOOK DOWN FROM HEAVEN AND SEE"

The prophet Isaiah reflected on how God had acted in the past to help his people Israel, especially how he had delivered them from Egypt; we read "so you led your people to make for yourself a glorious name." [isaiah 63:14] God's name YAHWEH has the primary sense of meaning "to be" – of becoming the LORD of all the earth! This will complete the establishment of his name, i.e. his reputation. This is in contrast to the "gods" of human imagination; their reputation is based on the legends of the past, the products of human imagination. 

The next verse says to God, "Look down from heaven and see …" The prophet wants God to take more notice of what is going on – and act! Then we have an unfortunates chapter break. Note the last verse and then the opening 2 verses of Isaiah 64 and see that the prayerful cry to God by Isaiah is one we could – and should – make today – the prophet is asking God to see – and then act!

Isaiah complains, "We have become like those over whom you never ruled, like those who are not called by your name. Oh that you would rend the heavens and come down, that the mountains might quake at your presence – as when fire kindles brushwood and the fire causes water to boil to make your name known to your adversaries, and that the nations might tremble at your presence!" This is a prayer we, conscious of today's godless and chaotic world should make our own.

But let us now focus on how God seeks a relationship with individuals. Isaiah 64:5 is a personal message to us individually and is just as significant today as it was then! 

The prophet says to God, "You meet him (or her) who joyfully works righteousness, those who remember you in your ways." Sometimes the Hebrew word for "remember" (Zakar) is translated as "mindful" as in Psalm 8 where David writes, "When I look at your heavens, the work of your fingers … what is man that you are mindful of him …?" [Psalm 8:3-4]  

So to "remember" is more than a matter of recalling something we have forgotten, but of being mindful of those things which are of the highest importance! Let us joyfully live righteous lives, becoming more and more like Jesus – proving we are genuine, in our hearts, children of God. As a result our minds are full of thoughts as to how we can serve our God more and more joyfully, asking our heavenly Father to "look down from heaven and see" – knowing he sees right into our hearts as to whether we truly do "joyfully work righteousness." 

-------

- DC

08 July 2017

1 Samuel 20

Isaiah 64

Matthew 9  

"YOU MEET HIM WHO JOYFULLY WORKS RIGHTEOUSNESS"

What challenging words are these that we read in Isaiah 64:5 today! What attitude of mind do we have as we seek to "joyfully" do the right thing – especially when surrounded by godlessness? Today's chapter starts with a petition to God we should be uttering today – and as our world becomes even more godless and evil, surely we should be uttering it! "Oh that you would rend the heavens and come down, that the mountains might quake at your presence as when fire kindles brushwood and the fire causes water to boil to make your name known … that the nations might tremble at your presence!" 

How utterly astounded the nations will be – especially as they have now convinced themselves there is no Creator, no God to fear and think that everything in some mysterious way sort of created itself. But we jumped over Isaiah 64:4 – and how personally challenging the words we read there! "From of old no one has heard or perceived by the ear, no eye has seen a God besides you, who acts for those who wait for him." 

So few today believe there is any kind of Creator God at all. But we who believe – what effect is our belief having on our lives? How challenging is the next verse in Isaiah! "You meet him who joyfully works righteousness, those who remember you in your ways."  As we "remember" the ways of God through regularly reading his word, how do they affect us? That is a personal question we each must honestly answer! 

And so we come to Isaiah 64:5 – "You meet him who joyfully works righteousness, those who remember you in your ways" And as we "remember" is our remembrance so strong that we "joyfully" live in righteous ways, ways that show we really "love" God and his Son? Paul quoted what "is written" that "no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the heart of man imagined, what God has prepared for those who love him" [1 Corinthians 2:9] 

The future for those who "joyfully work(s) righteousness" is beyond our ability to imagine: God's word reveals them to us up to a point – and the two final chapters of Isaiah we are about to read will inspire us further.

-------

- DC

09 July 2017

1 Samuel 21; 22

Isaiah 65

Matthew 10  

"THIS IS THE ONE TO WHOM I WILL LOOK" 

Today and tomorrow we read the final 2 chapters of Isaiah. God expresses through the prophet his lament for those who turn away from him, those who "insulted me" - to whom he says, "do not come near me, for I am too holy for you" [isaiah 65:5,7]  

In contrast his true servants "shall sing for gladness of heart" and "his servants he will call by another name … (and he) shall bless himself by the God of truth … because the former troubles are forgotten for behold I create new heavens and a new earth" [isaiah 65:14-17]. This will be "for my people who have sought me" [isaiah 65:10].

This is the vital question for all people – do they seek God or not!? And if they do, do they see him as the God of truth? Isaiah is writing for his people, the Jews, but those words also apply to everyone today. 

When Jesus came and died his sacrifice was for people of all nations. His final words to his disciples at the end of Matthew's gospel are, "Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptising them … teaching them to observe all I have commanded you." 

Consider more of what we have read God said through Isaiah, "the former things shall not be remembered or come into mind. But be glad and rejoice forever …" [isaiah 65:17-18] On the coming age, and how soon now(!) nature itself will be changed, "The wolf and the lamb shall graze together; the lion shall eat straw like the ox they shall not hurt nor destroy in all my holy mountain, says the LORD" [isaiah 65:25].  

Isaiah 66 these words jump out at us! "… this is the one to whom I will look: he who is humble and contrite in spirit and trembles at my word." [isaiah 66:2] That reminds us of how Jesus started his "Sermon on the mount" – "Blessed are the poor (lowly) in spirit (attitude of mind)" Let us live our lives so that we are among those to whom God "will look"?  

Whether we will be part of the wondrous time we are reading about depends upon our attitude and convictions now. Our last quote is from Isaiah 66:14 of this final chapter, "You shall see, and your heart shall rejoice  the hand of the LORD shall be known to his servants …" Let us make sure we are "his servants" and set our minds on God and his Son every day making each day count in service before them so that we are among those "to whom I will look".

-------

- DC

10 July 2017

1 Samuel 23

Isaiah 66

Matthew 11  

"AND THOSE SLAIN BY THE LORD SHALL BE MANY"

Today we reached the last chapter of the many remarkable – and often challenging – chapters of the prophet Isaiah. The chapters end with two contrasting visions of the last Days. One is an awesome, indeed fearsome picture of the divine judgements! "For behold, the LORD will come in fire … to render his anger in fury … by fire will the LORD enter into judgment … and those slain by the LORD shall be many." [isaiah 66:15-16] 

But, after this awesome picture of the divine judgements on godlessness is the inspiring statement "the time is coming to gather all nations and tongues. And they shall come and shall see my glory … they shall declare my glory among the nations." [isaiah 66:18-19] Surely this portrays the kingdom of God that Jesus will establish! We note, with a sense of awe the words of Jesus we read today in Matthew 11 of how "it will be more bearable on the day of judgment for Tyre and Sidon than for you." [Matthew 11:22] The "you" are the cities like "Capernaum" [Matthew 11:23] who had witnessed his remarkable healings and heard his teaching but had not repented of their ungodliness. 

Let us be conscious – in our hearts of the outcome of their attitude! After crucifying their Messiah, their nation soon ceased to exist. Why had they been unable to recognise their Messiah? Early in Isaiah's prophecy we read, "Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes, and shrewd in their own sight!" [isaiah 5:21] The same spirit is all around us today, as so many people scoff at as their being a Creator, the One true God who brought all the wonders that exist into being.

Our world faces the same judgement that Israel experienced for rejecting their Messiah! We are in awe, with aching hearts, the words in Isaiah 66:15-16 in the last chapter of Isaiah! Let us repeat the, take them into our hearts, and make sure we are on the Lord's side, "For behold, the LORD will come in fire … to render his anger in fury by fire will the LORD enter into judgment … and those slain by the LORD shall be many." 

-------

- DC

11 July 2017

1 Samuel 24

Jeremiah 1

Matthew 12  

"EVERY SIN AND BLASPHEMY WILL BE FORGIVEN BUT …"

Today we read in Matthew 12 several of the most challenging sayings of Jesus – they were spoken against the Pharisees who were looking for things about which they could criticise him and his disciples – firstly for "… doing what is not lawful to do on the Sabbath." [Matthew 12:2] 

Jesus points out how inconsistent the Pharisees were in their efforts to criticise him and his disciples they were narrow minded – they had developed "tunnel vision" on the things they wanted to believe. We can see this today in the efforts to believe in evolution – and as result minds are "blinded" to the incredible wonders of creation – and the strange notion that everything sort of "created itself"! 

It was the utterly remarkable work of God brought about through his spirit that not only brought all that exists today into being – but then to function together in the "teamwork" that the incredible mind of God designed.  

The Pharisees made ridiculous comments in an effort to deny the power of God that Jesus was exercising. The text tells us of "a demon-oppressed man who was blind and mute was brought to him, and he healed him, so that the man spoke and saw." [Matthew 12:22]

It is useful to note that the word "demon" does not occur in the Old Testament. It came into use when the Greeks conquered the land – they introduced it because they believed that "demons" caused disease! The Greeks imagined this! In the 300 or so years since this notion had taken root in the minds of many.

The people "were amazed" at the healing powers of Jesus and they said, "Can this be the Son of David?" This was true – he was! This was the same as saying he was the promised Messiah! This really upset the proud Pharisees – and increased their jealousy of Jesus.

The Pharisees scoffed at his ability to heal - and they said, "It is only by Beelzebul, the prince of demons, that this man casts out demons." [Matthew 12:24]. They were uttering blasphemy against the power of God – we note in awe what Jesus said "I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven people, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven." [Matthew 12:31] How much "blasphemy" of this nature is uttered and written about today! 

We are in awe of God's judgements when Jesus returns! Meditate on Paul's words in 2 Thessalonians, about "when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven with his mighty angels in flaming fire, inflicting vengeance on those who do not know God and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus." [2 Thessalonians 1:7-8].

-------

- DC

12 July 2017

1 Samuel 25

Jeremiah 2

Matthew 13  

"HE HAS NO ROOT IN HIMSELF"

Our world is becoming full of people without "root" – people who are restless, ever looking for new experiences, we are building ever larger airports to cope with all the travelers, the hotel trade is booming, the Mammon God is worshipped, but one day soon will fall on its knees like Dagon of old. [1 Samuel 5]

Daniel wrote that "at the time of the end many shall run to and fro and knowledge shall increase" [Daniel 12:4]. Our thoughts were provoked into following along these lines by points made in today's chapter of parables in Matthew 13. There are 8 parables in all in this chapter; they are stories with a "moral" message.  

The disciples ask Jesus to explain his parables. The most familiar of his parables is the story of the scattering of the seed (God's word) on different types of ground. One type is "rocky ground, where they had no depth of soil, and immediately they (the seeds) sprang up" [Matthew 13:5] Jesus explains this refers to “the one who hears the word and immediately receives it with joy, yet he (or she) has no root in himself, but endures for a while … [Matthew 13:20-21]

Sadly we can see increasing examples of this, these are those who are converted and are at first enthusiastic for God's word, but who fail to develop a root system for the seed: it should have been able to obtain nutrients from the soil so that the plant could keep on growing. How many have received seed – and were at first joyful about it, but that joy soon faded, they failed to develop any root system to enable the plant to develop.

God's word provides an abundance of nutrients so that we can develop "roots" in our minds. How much time do we spend each day eating literal food? Three meals a day in most cases. And spiritual food? Do you take a packed lunch to work or school or wherever? Do you see any need for spiritual snacks?  

We hope our thoughts provide at least a snack each day one that makes you hunger in your mind for more so that you make sure that at least one good spiritual meal occurs at some stage. Today's 8 parables provide lots of food for thought. A "harvest time" is coming when the Lord "will tell the reapers … gather the wheat into my barn." [Matthew 13:30]. Let's be ready for harvest time – even more so as it could be really close.

(The writer remembers staying with a family in Nepal many years ago – they rose at 6 am while it was still dark outside to do some Bible reading, then had a quick breakfast before leaving for work at 7 am having "light" within – what an example!) 

-------

- DC

13 July 2017

1 Samuel 26; 27

Jeremiah 3

Matthew 14  

"BUT THEIR HEART IS FAR FROM ME" 

As we read on in Matthew's gospel we see how Jesus was becoming increasingly unpopular – a major reason was his increasing criticism of the religious leaders, in particular the traditions they had developed. Jesus reacted to their efforts to portray the "sin" of his disciples because "they do not wash their hands when they eat" [Matthew 15:2] by observing how they had twisted the words of the Law and they "break the commandment of God for the sake of your tradition" [Matthew 15:3] 

They had not kept what God commanded, (to) "Honour your father and your mother," [Matthew 15:4] Instead they had created a tradition and told their parents, "What you would have gained from me is given to God."

So said Jesus, "for the sake of your tradition you have made void the word of God." [Matthew 15:6]. We gather – it was more of a promise to give their possessions – they still had the use of them! 

Jesus quotes the words of Isaiah to them! "Well did Isaiah prophesy of you, when he said: 'This people honours me with their lips, but their heart is far from me; in vain do they worship me, teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.'"  

Let us make sure that what we say with our "lips" is genuine – spoken in the spirit of Christ because our heart is far from  the world around us – and it becomes closer and  closer to God and his Son through our daily reading – and meditation – on His word.  

When we come to Matthew 23 we will see how Jesus dramatically increases his condemnation of them; their hearts had become farther and farther from him. We see a parallel with our world today and its godless attitudes – with its' denial that there ever was a Creator.

Let us read (and meditate) on God's word every day so that this attitude does not affect us! When Jesus comes they may feel like crucifying him again – but he will "crucify" them all those whose "heart(s) are far from" him.

-------

- DC

14 July 2017

1 Samuel 28

Jeremiah 4

Matthew 15  

"... THIS DEFILES A PERSON"

The Jews had strict laws to ensure cleanliness and in some ways these had become, in the time of Jesus, a ritual - their original purpose had been swamped, had been lost sight of. However, these laws were ignored by the world in general until about 200 years ago; illness and death were high as a result. However there was one good thing in those days – moral cleanliness was high – a state of things caused by the widespread reading of and respect for – the Bible.

Strangely, today the opposite now occurs! Physical cleanliness is all important while moral cleanliness counts for little except when there is some scandal in high places, such as in business practice: then the law is applied and those involved feel self-righteous. 

Our thoughts along these lines were triggered by today's words of Jesus in Matthew 15. He scolded the leaders, "You hypocrites … this people honours me with their lips, but their heart is far from me; in vain do they worship me; teaching as doctrines the commandments of men" [Matthew 15:7-9] You may recognise he is quoting words we read last month in Isaiah [isaiah 29:13] 

Jesus then told them a parable [Matthew 15:11] about how defilement is caused by what came out of human mouths. This causes Peter to ask, "explain the parable to us." Jesus replies, "what comes out of the mouth proceeds from the heart, and this defiles a person. For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false witness, slander. These are what defile a person." [Matthew 15:18-20]

The world is full of his kind of defilement today; indeed, it is even "glorified" in movies and TV shows. It is remarkable that so many "enjoy" being defiled in this way and we are going to read in Jeremiah how, without the encouragement of TV and the like, this kind of defilement was around when he lived - and which he was told to condemn. 

-------

- DC

15 July 2017

1 Samuel 29; 30

Jeremiah 5

Matthew 16  

"EYEWITNESSES OF HIS MAJESTY"

One of our greatest challenges in life is to see all that happens from God's perspective. The more we read God's word and meditate on what we read – the more we are able to do that. We can see this happening in the life of David, also in the perceptions of Jeremiah who first protested to God, "I am only a youth" [Jeremiah 1:6].  

The disciples of Jesus were in a special category and Peter was their chief spokesman ready to articulate his perceptions again and again, sometimes inappropriately: they teach us many lessons as we see their perceptions of Jesus increase. Our perceptions must do the same! Do they?  

Jesus had taken them to the far north of the land to Caesarea Philippi [Matthew 16:13] and asked them as to whom did people think he was? There were various opinions, Elijah, Jeremiah, one of the prophets? Then comes the challenging question, "But who do you say that I am?" [Matthew 16:15] and Peter declares, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God". Christ, in their language was "Messiah" – the promised Saviour – and "the people were in expectation" [Luke 3:15] of his coming because of the prophesy's in their Bible, especially in Daniel.  

Note how Peter phrased his answer, "the living God" the Creator – and Peter is starting to sense God's presence in his life more and more. David, of whom we are reading in Samuel, also sensed this more and more until "the last words of David" include the statement, "The Spirit of the LORD speaks by me; his word is on my tongue" [2 Samuel  23:1-2] and Peter and the Apostles were also to experience this. 

Peter was one of 3 disciples chosen to have a foretaste of "the Son of Man coming in his kingdom" [Matthew 16:28] when, six days later, Jesus "led them up a high mountain by themselves … and he was transfigured before them" [Matthew 17:1-2]  

This was an experience impressed upon their memory, for Peter, in his 2nd Epistle writes, "we were eye witnesses of his majesty … when he (Jesus) received honour and glory from God …" [2 Peter 1:16-17]  

Let us acknowledge and serve God and His Son every day in all that we say, do and think, as the disciples learnt to do, walking in the footsteps of men like David and Jeremiah – then, one day, we will be "eyewitnesses of his majesty." 

-------

- DC

16 July 2017

1 Samuel 31

Jeremiah 6

Matthew 17 

"THE WORD ... AN OBJECT OF SCORN"

"Behold the word of the LORD is to them an object of scorn; they take no pleasure in it. Therefore …" [Jeremiah 6:10] – we will come to the "therefore" in a minute, but the above words jumped out at us in today's reading in Jeremiah.  This is so like the attitude of so many today. Part of the reason for this attitude toward God is the publicity given to the moral failures of those, such as the Catholic Priests, who claim to be serving God.

What happened in ancient times will happen today. Jeremiah complains, "they do not defend the rights of the needy … the cause of the fatherless" [Jeremiah 5:28]. In Australia we are blessed that there are efforts to look after the needy. We read last week of Jesus making the complaint, "Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves." [Matthew 7:15].  

Such hypocrisy only adds to the way most people view the word of God today – unless they read it themselves and realize how relevant it is to today and has a message for those who really want to think about the meaning of life - as God sees it!

We notice another point Jeremiah makes. "Were they ashamed when they committed abomination? No, they were not at all ashamed; they did not know how to blush. Therefore …" [Jeremiah 6:15] 

We can apply this today more widely. Practices which would have made people blush 70 years ago, are brazenly practiced these days. It is very difficult for those who are trying hard to walk in righteous ways, according to the word of God, to remain unaffected, at least a little, by all that surrounds them! This makes it even more important to meditate on God's word every day. 

We now come to the "therefore" in the text!  If you check the passages that end with "therefore", you will find God is saying again and again – therefore I will act! 

Note Jeremiah 6:11, "Therefore," says Jeremiah, "I am full of the wrath of the LORD; I am weary of holding it in. Pour it out upon the children in the street, and upon the gatherings of young men; both husband and wife shall be taken, the elderly … for I will stretch out my hand against the inhabitants of the land, declares the LORD." 

As we read on in Jeremiah we will see how God gives him a message against all the people of the world – people to whom "The word" of God has become "an object of scorn." It becomes worse for Jeremiah! He sees and cries, "Violence and destruction! For the word of the LORD has become for me a reproach and derision all day long." [Jeremiah 20:8] … That is happening to an increasing extent today.

-------

- DC

17 July 2017

2 Samuel 1

Jeremiah 7

Matthew 18  

"OBEY MY VOICE, AND I WILL BE YOUR GOD"

What an awesome task Jeremiah had, it seems he was a lone voice, a last call to the people before God destroys Jerusalem. If we are God-fearing people we cannot avoid seeing the comparisons with today: yet today – the whole of God's word is available – and in generations past everyone, or at least every family, had their own copy. 

Jeremiah recalls the command that had been given – and heard – and heeded by previous generations in Israel, from when David established the nation and Solomon built the Temple. And we can recall the situation when our parents or grandparents told us and when the majority went to church and they could see whether they were being taught was true to what they had read in their Bibles. 

Jeremiah's message to the people – before the nation was destroyed – was "if you truly amend your ways and your deeds, if you truly execute justice one with another, then I will let you dwell in this place, in the land that I gave of old to your fathers forever." [Jeremiah 7:5,7] 

The prophet reminds them of their early history – "…in the day that I brought them out of the land of Egypt … this command I gave them: 'Obey my voice, and I will be your God, and you shall be my people. And walk in all the way that I command you …'" [Jeremiah 7:22-23]

We can, with a sense of awe, see the application of the prophets words to the situation that surrounds us today! We do not have a literal prophet, a lone voice like Jeremiah, we had much more than that. Let us finish with the verses which follow – we cannot miss their application to today! 

"I have persistently sent all my servants the prophets to them, day after day. Yet they did not listen to me or incline their ear, but stiffened their neck." [Jeremiah 7:25-26] We can say, since the Bible was made readily available in our language, some have read in earlier centuries – and absorbed its' message – but today very few want to "hear" God saying, 'Obey my voice, and I will be your God'. Are you among the very few? Make sure you are! 

-------

- DC

18 July 2017

2 Samuel 2

Jeremiah 8

Matthew 19  

"WHAT THEREFORE GOD HAS JOINED TOGETHER"

Our reading in Matthew 19 begins with the Pharisees asking Jesus a key question, "Is it lawful to divorce one's wife for any cause?" [Matthew 19:3] Maybe they thought they could catch Jesus with this question; could involve him in a disputed matter, even make him unpopular? For Jesus it was an opportunity to reinforce his teaching to his disciples in the sermon on the mount [Matthew 5:31-32].

Jesus surprised them by referring back to the foundation of marriage, saying "Because of the hardness of your heart Moses allowed you to divorce your wives, but from the beginning it was not so." He also said, "What therefore God has joined together let not man separate." [Matthew 19:6] This point is why really meaningful marriage vows begin with reference to the couple being joined together in the sight of God.

His disciples feel uncomfortable with this picture of absolute commitment and suggest, "If such is the case … it is better not to marry." [Matthew 19:10] Jesus responds by talking about "eunuchs", those who chose to remain unmarried "for the sake of the kingdom of heaven" [Matthew 19:12]. Paul and Barnabas are examples of such commitment.

Our thoughts then went to the wonderful value of a faithful marriage and the training up of children: it is this that qualifies a man for a role as an elder and overseer among believers. Paul made this point to Timothy when he asked him to remain at Ephesus [1 Timothy 1:3] and how this was vital in making an assessment "if anyone aspires to the office of an overseer" (1 Timothy 3:1 – it is good to ponder the verses which follow). 

Marriage is a lifelong commitment and Malachi's message includes the reminder, "the LORD was witness between you and the wife of your youth … she is your companion and wife by covenant." [Malachi 2:14]  God's undoubted principle is - "what therefore God has joined together let not man separate."

-------

- DC

19 July 2017

2 Samuel 3

Jeremiah 9

Matthew 20  

"LET NOT THE WISE MAN BOAST IN …"

Our reading in Jeremiah 9 today contains that remarkable declaration that those who are wise "boast" only in one thing! All around us in the world there is a mixed lot of fleshly boasting – the new President of the United States is setting the example and what a fleshly example! 

In contrast, if we feel inclined to boast, the words the LORD spoke to Jeremiah declare the only way in which we can – and should – boast. We read from Jeremiah 9:23, "Thus says the LORD: "Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, let not the mighty man boast in his might, let not the rich man boast in his riches, but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the LORD who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I delight, declares the LORD."

In the Psalms we have the declaration, "In God we have boasted continually, and we will give thanks to your name forever." [Psalm 44:8] Can we make this declaration? 

Again in the Psalms – we read in Psalm 34, from Psalm 34:2, "My soul makes its boast in the LORD; let the humble hear and be glad. Oh, magnify the LORD with me, and let us exalt his name together!  I sought the LORD, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears."

Looking ahead in Jeremiah we see reference in Jeremiah 31 to a "spiritual" covenant God promised to make in the future – and surely that future is now very near! If we feel ourselves to be members of the "spiritual" house of Israel we can embrace the following words and take them into our hearts. 

"For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, declares the LORD: I will put my law within them, and I will write it on their hearts. And I will be their God, and they shall be my people … they shall all know me, from the least of them to the greatest, declares the LORD." [Jeremiah 31:33-34]  Let us make sure we are boasting (talking about from our hearts) of the wonder of our relationship with our Lord. This is the "good" kind of boasting we should engage in it every day. 

-------

- DC

20 July 2017

2 Samuel 4; 5

Jeremiah 10

Matthew 21 

"BEHOLD YOUR KING IS COMING TO YOU" 

Matthew in his Gospel is more prolific than the other Gospel writers in quoting the Old Testament prophecies that Jesus fulfilled. Today we have, in Matthew 21, the account of the triumphant entry of Jesus into Jerusalem [Matthew 21:4-11]. Matthew writes, "this took place to fulfil what was spoken by the prophet, saying 'Behold your king is coming to you, mounted on a donkey' … and the crowds that went before him and that followed him were shouting, 'Hosanna to the Son of David! … Hosanna in the highest!' And when he entered Jerusalem, the whole city was stirred up …" This event was so significant it is recorded in all 4 gospels.

What prophet had spoken this? We find this prediction in Zechariah [Zechariah 9:9]. We also see the remarkable prophecies the disciples were later to make as recorded in the book of Acts (e.g., Acts 3:20-21) and in their letters about his second coming; the scene will be truly awesome when true believers will be saying something like "Behold our king is coming in great glory."  

But, just as awesome, overwhelmingly so, will be his great power to bring vengeance on those who deny him, being totally blind to there being a Creator with a plan and purpose for his creation.

When we come to Matthew 24 on Sunday we will see how Jesus himself predicted his return. In Matthew 24:30 we read, "Then will appear in heaven the sign of the Son of Man, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory."

Can we believe this? Dare we dis-believe? Matthew 24:21 challenges us Israel is God's fig tree. We see Israel described in this way in Joel 1:6-7 "For a nation has come up against my land … It has laid waste my vine and splintered my fig tree".

Back in our chapter in Matthew we read how Jesus says, of his return, it will be a time when conditions on earth will be "as were the days of Noah, so will be the coming of the Son of Man. For as in those days before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day Noah entered the ark, and they were unaware until … so will be the coming of the Son of Man." [Matthew 24:37-39] 

Let us read God's word diligently – every day – and, if if at all possible, be among fellow believers, who will all join in saying, "Behold our king is coming in great glory." A final thoughts jumps out from our memory of what we read a few days ago in Matthew 16, "the Son of Man is going to come with his angels in the glory of his Father, and then he will repay each person according to what he has done" [Matthew 16:27] Let us meditate on these words today.

-------

- DC

21 July 2017

2 Samuel 6

Jeremiah 11

Matthew 22  

"YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART"

The climax to the mortal life of Jesus - is approaching – as we near the climax of the gospel of Matthew.  The religious leaders, the Sadducees test him with questions about the resurrection, about a woman who eventually died after she had had 7 husbands, each one dying in turn, leaving no children. They ask Jesus, "In the resurrection, therefore, of the seven, whose wife will she be? For they all had her." Jesus answered them, "You are wrong, because you know neither the Scriptures nor the power of God." [Matthew 22:29]

Jesus then makes a remarkable point! "… in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven." [Matthew 22:30] This event is far beyond our present comprehension, and of course applies to those worthy, in knowledge of Jesus has of their lives - to be accounted worthy to be among - "the wheat that is gathered into my barn." [Matthew 13:30]

Back in Matthew 22 we next read that "a lawyer, asked him a question to test him: 'Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?'" [Matthew 22:35-36] 

How heart searching for us is the answer of Jesus! Let us mediate on how well we are keeping these commandments. Jesus said to the lawyer, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbour as yourself. On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets."

Keeping this great commandment, truly and effectively, lays the foundation for what Jesus calls the :  "second" commandment, "You shall love your neighbour as yourself." [Matthew 22:39] This creates the thought and the personal question, how much do we love ourselves?

What a marvellous spirit of fellowship exists among believers who can each fully love the Lord their God with all their hearts. May our Lord find us doing this when he returns – and how soon now!

-------

- DC

22 July 2017

2 Samuel 7

Jeremiah 12

Matthew 23  

"O LORD GOD … YOUR NAME WILL BE MAGNIFIED FOREVER"

Today's chapter of 2 Samuel [2 Samuel 7] is remarkable –– it inspires us in many ways. We see how God's promise to him – originally inspired David. It starts by describing God's reaction to David's desire to build a house, a Temple, for God to dwell in; it seems the Tabernacle was close to being worn out, it had served its' purpose. Nathan the prophet is told, "Go and tell my servant David, 'Thus says the LORD: Would you build me a house to dwell in?" [2 Samuel 7:5] 

The next 10 verses are food for much thought and meditation – climaxing in 2 Samuel 7:16, when David is told, "And your house and your kingdom shall be made sure forever before me. Your throne shall be established forever."

The humility of David's response, in reaction to this incredible promise is remarkable; he "went in and sat before the LORD" [2 Samuel 7:18], obviously in the Tabernacle; he prays, "Who am I, O Lord GOD, and what is my house, that you have brought me thus far? And yet this was a small thing in your eyes, O Lord GOD. You have spoken also of your servant's house for a great while to come" – adding "and this is instruction for mankind, O Lord GOD!" 

Let us see how this 'instruction' is for us! We begin by noting how often Jesus is called 'the Son of David'! It occurs 10 times alone in the Gospel of Matthew we are currently reading! In Matthew 21 we read of Jesus entering Jerusalem "and the crowds that went before him and that followed him were shouting, 'Hosanna to the Son of David!'" [Matthew 21:9]. It will be through Jesus that God's 'name' is 'magnified for ever.' The word 'name' of course is used in the sense of 'reputation.' 

Let us finish our thoughts by mediating on more of what we read in 2 Samuel - of what David said in his prayer. "O LORD God, confirm forever the word that you have spoken concerning your servant and concerning his house" [2 Samuel 7:25] David then prays, "And your name will be magnified forever."  

David's prayer concludes, "with your blessing shall the house of your servant be blessed forever." As those trying to be the latter day servants we pray we will very soon see God's word confirmed and we will be wondrously blessed to witness God's 'name' being 'magnified for ever.' 

-------

- DC

23 July 2017

2 Samuel 8; 9

Jeremiah 13

Matthew 24  

"A TIME OF GREAT TRIBULATION SUCH AS HAS NOT BEEN …" 

'The Olivet Prophecy' as most of today's reading of Matthew 24 is known - is full of challenging language about events future to that time. Is it good to think that we have the 'interpretation' of its words exactly sorted out? The phraseology is puzzling in parts and we must recognize some aspects of prophecy only become clear as events start to take place. It is like fitting a jigsaw puzzle together and it is exciting as the overall picture becomes more evident, this was the experience during the last 2 centuries. There are still parts that It is unwise to be too dogmatic about; we must have patience.

The key question the disciples asked Jesus was, "What will be the sign of your coming and of the close of the age?" [Matthew 24:3] Part of his answer is to say, "if those days had not been cut short, no human being would be saved, but for the sake of the elect those days will be cut short." [Matthew 24:22]. The previous verse says, "there will be a time of great tribulation such as has not been from the beginning of the world until now" [Matthew 24:21] 

So there will be still  the elect' living at the time of the greatest crisis in human history. Matthew 24:31 tells us the angels will be sent out to gather the elect! Are the 'elect' only the true and faithful believers that then exist? If so, we can compare this with the time of Noah, when there were only seven God was willing to save. But Christ is not returning to destroy the world! 

When we consider that Israel is also called God's 'elect' (see Isaiah 42:1; 45:4; 65:9,22) and they now exist again after 1900 years in oblivion, we are inclined to see the reference by Jesus to 'the elect' as being primarily to them ­ it is for the sake of Israel that 'those days will be cut short' ­ while the Christian 'elect' will be gathered by the angels.

Jesus said, "the powers of the heavens will be shaken" [Matthew 24:29]. If this is to be taken literally is this work of God or of man exploding nuclear devices?; Either way this could initiate 'the time of  great tribulation' - but God will act for 'the elect's sake but there may well be awesome events to occur as "the angels gather his elect" [Matthew 24:31].  

What will Israel's situation be at this time of world crisis? In Micah 7:18-19 are the words, "Who is a God like you, pardoning iniquity and passing over transgression for the remnant of his inheritance … He will again have compassion on us".

For ourselves, let us live in a way that will ensure we are among 'the elect' whom the angels gather ­ while those "in the tombs will hear his voice" [John 5:28] those who, in their mortal lives, have established a relationship with Jesus as their Lord ­ which essentially began when they took on his name in baptism.

-------

- DC   

24 July 2017

2 Samuel 10

Jeremiah 14

Matthew 25  

"AT MIDNIGHT THERE WAS A CRY"

Today we read the 'simple' – yet absolutely challenging parable of Jesus about himself as the bridegroom! It is particularly challenging because at midnight there was a cry, "Here is the bridegroom! Come out to meet him." [Matthew 25:6] The virgins did know the exact time the groom was coming; certainly not at midnight! "As the bridegroom was delayed, they all became drowsy and slept." [Matthew 25:5]

How apt is this parable for today! We do not know when the cry will be made – we do not have a divine time clock! This is part of the wisdom of God. The conclusion of the parable Matthew 25:13 is a personal message to each one of us., "Watch therefore, for you know neither the day nor the hour." This is a clearly a message for us today – How long before it is said, in one way or another, "Here is the bridegroom! Come out to meet him." 

The world today is in complete spiritual darkness – there is a 'chink' of light here and there – but it is spiritual light which only those who dedicatedly read, think and pray about God's word can know and 'see' – those who have spiritual sight. 

A final thought comes from Paul's advice in 2 Corinthians. He told them (and us) to "Examine yourselves, to see whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves." [2 Corinthians 13:5] A plural is implied – as there is opportunity we must test each other – that we may be mutually encouraged by each other's faith - but above all – our own faith – helping each other to 'see' – for surely the midnight hour is near!  

May David's prayer at the end of Psalm 139 be ours also. "Search me, O God, and know my heart! Try me and know my thoughts! And see if there be any grievous way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting!" [Psalm 139:23-24] Only then will we be ready for the 'midnight … cry.' 

-------

- DC

25 July 2017

2 Samuel 11

Jeremiah 15

Matthew 26

"YOUR WORDS BECAME TO ME A JOY" 

The words in Jeremiah 15 arrested our attention this morning. What a difficult life Jeremiah had after good king Josiah (see 2 Kings 23:16-28) was killed in battle [ 2 Kings 12:29]. After his death only ungodly kings came on the throne until the nation completely disintegrated and the majority were taken into captivity. As this situation developed Jeremiah became very depressed as we read today.

"Woe is me, my mother that you bore me, a man of strife and contention to the whole land!" [Jeremiah 15:10]. He is a lone voice in Jerusalem ­ but his words in Jeremiah 15:16 jump out at us, especially as they have a real application to those of us today who live surrounded by ungodliness. "Your words were found, and I ate them, and your words became to me a joy and the delight of my heart, for I am called by your name, O LORD, God of hosts."

The more we meditate ­ and discern with our minds ­ the words that God has caused to be written and preserved, the more we can each say God's words "have become to me a joy and the delight of my heart."  We can say with Jeremiah "I do not sit in the company of revellers, nor rejoice with them" [Jeremiah 15:17] Why did Jeremiah say ­ and do ­ this? He said, "I sat alone, because your hand was upon me, for you had filled me with indignation."

What of ourselves? Does God's word come 'alive' in our minds and fill us with indignation at - at least some of the revelling and ungodliness we increasingly see? It depends on how we read God's word!  How 'real' is it to us? It also depends on the reality of our contact with our God whether we truly sense that "in him we live and move and have our being" [Acts 17:28] ­ as Paul quoted to the people at Athens.

Jeremiah's words about what God declares are also most appropriate for us to take into our hearts [Jeremiah 15:20] ­ especially as the life that surrounds us threatens to fall apart - as Jesus is at the point of returning to our world that has become so totally godless - "I am with you to save you and deliver you, declares the LORD." Surely this will apply when we can say to God ­ "Your words have become to me a joy and the delight of my heart."

-------

- DC