TFTBR - May 2017

Resource Manager

01 May 2017

Deuteronomy 18 

Ecclesiastes 10 

Acts 9

"TO CARRY MY NAME"

At one stage during my career I was a company representative and as I visited many different companies it was said "The man from The Age (a major daily Newspaper) is here, I was carrying their name, I represented them. This memory came to mind as we read Acts 9 this morning and the comment of a man named Ananias made in asking questions because of a vision he had from the Lord. 

Saul the Pharisee had been led blind into Damascus having been struck blind because  "suddenly a light from heaven flashed around him" [Acts 9:3] and he heard the voice of Jesus. For 3 days he is blind in Damascus "and neither ate nor drank" [Acts 9:9] Then "a disciple at Damascus named Ananias … the Lord said to him in a vision, 'Ananias … Rise and go … look for a man of Tarsus named Saul, for behold he is praying and he has seen a vision a man named Ananias come in and lay hands on him so that he may regain his sight'" [Acts 9:10-12].

Ananias is most concerned about this and says, "Lord I have heard from many about this man and how much evil he has done to your saints at Jerusalem. And here he has authority from the chief priests to bind all who call on your name." [Acts 9:13-14]. The Lord responds by telling him, "Go, for he is a chosen instrument of mine to carry my name before the Gentiles and kings and the children of Israel" [Acts 9:15]  

Paul (as he would now be known) was to represent Christ and proclaim his name. He later wrote many letters to those to whom he proclaimed Christ's name and who, like himself, took on the name of Christ, saying, "Test yourselves. Or do you not realize this about yourself, that Jesus Christ is in you" [2 Corinthians 13:5] He also wrote, "You are not your own, for you were bought with a price" [1 Corinthians 6:19-20] 

Total commitment is required of those who carry the name of Christ and represent him. 

So Ananias laid his hands on him, "and he regained his sight. Then he rose and was baptised; and taking food, was strengthened." [Acts 9:18-19] So those who make the commitment to "carry his name" begin by being baptised, and how vital it is to know the responsibility that this leads to – to represent Christ for the rest of your life. 

-------

- DC

02 May 2017

Deuteronomy 19

Ecclesiastes 11

Acts 10  

"WE ARE WITNESSES OF ALL THAT HE DID"

In Acts 10 today there is yet another dramatic account of how the message of Christ spread further afield. The Apostle Peter is caught up in a situation he never thought possible; it was that of witnessing to a Roman Centurion and his relatives and close friends. 

Peter had to travel to the Centurions' home in Caesarea. Before he went God gave him a vision which "inwardly perplexed" him [Acts 10:17]. There followed a demonstration in a vision – with a meaning that he could not mistake. This caused him to do what he had never imagined himself doing. It was totally against the way the Jews had been trained – and practised their law - to goo into the home of a non-Jew.

The Centurion said when Peter entered, "we are all here in the presence of God to hear all that you have been commanded of the Lord. So Peter opened his mouth and said: Truly I understand that God shows no partiality, but in every nation anyone who fears him and does what is right is acceptable to him." [Acts 10:33-35] Let us think of fearing God as meaning – being in awe of Him 

The core of Peter's message was to explain the life and teaching of Jesus, "and we are witnesses of all that he did … and he commanded us to preach … that he is the one appointed by God to be the judge of the living and the dead. To him all the prophets' bear witness that everyone who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name." [Acts 10:39,42,43] To Peter's astonishment the Holy Spirit falls on them, so he realizes they must be baptised. Peter now knows beyond any doubt that the message of Jesus, and baptism into his name as a result of expressing that belief, is for all nations. 

This commission to be witnesses applies to every believer of every generation. The written word has made all who read and, as a result believe, into disciples of Jesus. When Peter wrote his first epistle he said how believers had been "born again to a living hope" [1 Peter 1:3] they were now "a holy nation, a people for his own possession that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvellous light" [1 Peter 2:9]. Let us sense this "light" ever more clearly, day after day. Also, as members of God's "holy nation" we are witnesses and must try to share our faith at every opportunity.

-------

- DC

03 May 2017

Deuteronomy 20

Ecclesiastes 12

Acts 11; 12  

"GOD WILL BRING EVERY DEED INTO JUDGMENT ... WHETHER GOOD OR EVIL"

These are the final words in Solomon's Book of Ecclesiastes. In the previous verse he had written, "Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of mankind" At the start of this book we read, these are "the words of the Preacher, son of David, king in Jerusalem."  

In today' s final chapter we read, "Besides being wise, the Preacher also taught the people knowledge, weighing and studying and arranging, many proverbs with great care." [Ecclesiastes 12:9] We quoted a few days ago Ecclesiastes 12:11 "the words of the wise are like goads, like nails firmly fixed" [Ecclesiastes 12:11] and it reminds us of what Jesus said to Paul on the Damascus road, "It is hard for you to kick against the goads" [Acts 26:14] 

Goads are the nails that are fixed behind horses in harness pulling a carriage, which prick them if they try to disobey the driver. Paul's conscience was pricking him as he put loving and God fearing men and women in prison and stood approving the stoning of Stephen. Do we let the "words of the wise" that God has caused to be preserved throughout the Bible prick our conscience? We should.

Solomon has a particular message for the young. "Rejoice, O young … let your heart cheer you in the days of your youth. Walk in the ways of your heart … But know that for all these things God will bring you into judgement … Remember also your Creator in the days of your youth, before the evil days come …" [Ecclesiastes 11:9; 12:1] 

He is writing in the despondency of old age, death is at the door, he had found "enjoyment in all his toil" [Ecclesiastes 2:24] and now that is all over.  But today we can put a fuller meaning on "before the evil days come" for our world is facing evil times and the good times (?) are largely over; "They are afraid - also of what is high, and terrors are in the way" [Ecclesiastes 12:5]. 

We must take his final words to heart, "Fear God and keep his commandments … for God will bring every deed into judgment … whether good or evil." 

May our deeds be good. May we have a true relationship with God each day ­ a relationship that grows the more we read his word  ­ make sure that becomes your experience ­ if it is not already the case.

-------

- DC

04 May 2017

Deuteronomy 21

Song 1

Acts 13 

"… SALVATION TO THE ENDS OF THE  EARTH" 

Today God's message of "salvation" has reached "to the ends of the earth." This word occurs 6 times in the book of Acts. Paul, early in his missionary journeys (with Barnabas) began to preach the "good news about the kingdom of God" [Acts 8:12]. We read today in Acts 13, how, when the Jews in "the synagogue" [Acts 13:14] asked Paul if he had "any word of encouragement for the people, (to) say it." [Acts 13:15] - that they were offended at Paul's message when he said that through Jesus (instead of their Law) "forgiveness of sins is proclaimed." [Acts 13:38].

Paul warned that their attitude was fulfilling "what is said in the prophets" [Acts 13:40] Paul quoted - 'Look, you scoffers, be astounded and perish; for I am doing a work in your days, a work that you will not believe, even if one tells it to you.'" (from Habakkuk 1:5) How few know the words of the prophets these days, let alone quote them!

As a result of this Paul started to preach to those who were not Jews, this is, the Gentiles. His final message to the Jews was straight to the point. "Since you thrust it aside and judge yourselves unworthy of eternal life, behold, we are turning to the Gentiles." [Acts 13:46] 

Paul then said, "For so the Lord has commanded us, saying, "'I have made you a light for the Gentiles, that you may bring salvation to the ends of the earth.'" [Acts 13:47]. 

To truly rejoice, as they did then, we have to know the original gospel as Paul and Barnabas preached it, and we have ample evidence of what this was as we read on in the book of Acts and the letters of Paul and the other disciples. And today it seems clear that the message of  "salvation" has reached "the ends of the earth." 

Those who have receptive minds as a result of their reading and hearing the original truth preached, will have the same experience. Are you experiencing, or have you experienced what we read in Acts 13:48? This is the blessing of "rejoicing and glorifying the word of the Lord" and then "as many as were appointed to eternal life believed." [Acts 13:48 ]

-------

- DC

05 May 2017

Deuteronomy 22

Song 2

Acts 14; 15 

"GOD WHO KNOWS THE HEART ..." 

Today we read about a conference of a serious nature that took place in Jerusalem among the disciples and other principal brethren, it was about problems that had arisen among the believers. Some of the Pharisees who were now believers in Christ were saying that the Gentiles whom Paul had been converting, that "it is necessary to circumcise them and to order them to keep the law of Moses" [Acts 15:5]

Peter recounts to the assembly how God had acted to bring about the conversion and baptism of Cornelius, a Roman, and also his relatives and friends - so God ordained, says Peter, that "by my mouth the Gentiles should hear the word of the gospel and believe. And God who knows the heart, bore witness to them …" [Acts 15:7-8]  How powerful to fully realize that  "God knows the heart"! We must meditate on that fact.

The result of the conference is that they decide to write to the Gentiles saying that "it seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us to lay on you no greater burden than these requirements: that you abstain from what has been sacrificed to idols, and from blood, and from what has been strangled, and from sexual immorality. If you keep yourselves from these you will do well …" [Acts 15:28-29] 

Nowadays, at least in this country, there is no sacrificing to idols or drinking blood or animals strangled so that they retain the blood in their bodies. The one thing that there is – here and it seems in all countries – is an increasing abundance of "sexual immorality." It was widespread in those days as we see it mentioned in nearly all the letters of the apostles and in the final messages of Jesus to the churches [Revelation 2:15,20] 

The final message of Jesus in the last chapter in the Bible has our Lord telling us. "Behold I am coming soon" (this is God's sense of "soon" for he sees "one day is as a thousand years" [2 Peter 3:8]) "bringing my recompense (reward) with me, to repay everyone for what he has done … Outside are the … sexually immoral and murderers and idolaters, and everyone who loves and practices falsehood." [Revelation 22:12,15]

Let us all fully realise "God … knows the heart and be fully conscious that he knows you and I – so let us keep ourselves from these. To really "know" God, which must include having an intimate prayer life, which provides the strength to do this – and our regular reading and meditation on his word is also an essential part in achieving this.

-------

- DC

06 May 2017

Deuteronomy 23

Song 3

Acts 16; 17

"THEY RECEIVED THE WORD OF GOD WITH ALL EAGERNESS"

What a challenging example to us today almost 2,000 years after Jesus, the Son of God, walked and taught on this earth. The example to follow is that set by the Jews in Berea. When Paul arrived there "they received the word with all eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see if these things were so." [Acts 17:11]  The Scriptures they had, of course, were what we call the Old Testament ­ what a blessing today at we have both the Old and New Testaments.

Do we have "eagerness" in our hearts and minds to examine the Scriptures ­ day after day ­ to build up our knowledge and understanding of the word of God? Once again opposition developed ­ against Paul. It is a lesson for us to remember that when the Bible was first made available in English ­ there was a lot of opposition. 

The Jews who were opposed to the truth about Jesus "came (to Berea) … agitating and stirring up the crowds." [Acts 17:13] As a result Paul went on to Athens and found the people there were "in every way …very religious." [Acts 17:22], they had "invented" many gods! Paul told them about the one true God, the one who "made from one man every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth …" [Acts 17:26] and that he is actually not far from each one of us, for "'In him we live and move and have our being" [Acts 17:27-28].

Paul's words should fascinate us ­ should cause us deep heart-felt meditation! Most of all ­ is the climax to his message to them that God … commands all people everywhere to repent, because he has fixed a day on which he will judge the world in righteousness by a man whom he has appointed; and of this he has given assurance to all by raising him from the dead." [Acts 17:30-31] 

When people "repent" they must then live a Christ-like life ­ in their thoughts and deeds! Do we? How wonderful that God caused these words, written so long ago, to be preserved and translated for us! Let us make sure we have "received the word with all eagerness" It is the only message that gives eternal meaning to our lives; let us make sure we are "holding" it in our hearts "with all eagerness."

-------

- DC

07 May 2017

Deuteronomy 24

Song 4

Acts 18; 19 

"YOUR BLOOD BE ON YOUR OWN HEADS" 

The Apostle Paul frequently encountered conflict as he travelled to different communities preaching the message of the cross. At each place he started by preaching to the Jews in their synagogues. We read today that "he reasoned in the synagogue every Sabbath, and tried to persuade Jews and Greeks." [Acts 18:4] When Silas and Timothy joined him, they found "Paul was occupied with testifying to the Jews that the Christ (Messiah) was Jesus. And when they opposed and reviled him, he shook out his garments and said to them, "Your blood be on your own heads! I am innocent" [Acts 18:5-6] 

In what sense was Paul innocent? He was innocent because he was fulfilling the commission Christ had given to him to preach Christ's gospel. But there were a great many difficulties in Corinth: to encourage him "the Lord said to Paul one night in a vision, 'Do not be afraid, but go on speaking and do not be silent, for I am with you, and no one will attack you to harm you.'" [Acts 18:9-10] "And many of the Corinthians, hearing Paul believed and were baptised." [Acts 18:8]

It is most interesting to note that his enemies "seized Sosthenes, the ruler of the synagogue and beat him" [Acts 18:17] What had the ruler of the synagogue done wrong? Were they blaming him for allowing Paul to preach – or had he been converted? We notice that the very first verse of Paul's first letter to the Corinthians says, "Paul, called by the will of God to be an apostle of Christ Jesus, and our brother Sosthenes". 

We will see in tomorrow's reading of Acts 20 that Paul tells the elders from Ephesus, "testify to you this day that I am innocent of the blood of you all, for I did not shrink from declaring to you the whole counsel of God." [Acts 20:26-27]  

All believers of Paul's gospel, which is "the gospel of God" [Romans 1:1] should make themselves "innocent" by seeking opportunity to declare to all they come in contact with - the gospel that Paul preached, which is the only real gospel. If you have not yet accepted that Gospel yourself – why not? Is the way too "narrow" for you? Is your vision of what life means – sort of – clouded over? We must all realize "(y)our blood (is) on (y)our own heads."

-------

- DC

08 May 2017

Deuteronomy 25

Song 5

Acts 20 

"DO NOT COUNT MY LIFE OF ANY VALUE"

The Apostle Paul, as a result of his total commitment to Christ, attracted intense devotion from those he converted. In today's chapter of Acts [Acts 20], he told them, "I do not count my life of any value, nor as precious to myself." [Acts 20:24]. This is a total contrast to the attitude seen by nearly everyone today, attitudes which can influence us. They live to serve themselves and find pleasures – some of them very fleshly! 

Paul reflects on how he had been among them "serving the Lord with all humility and with tears and with trials … I did not shrink from teaching you … of repentance toward God and of faith in our Lord Jesus Christ." [Acts 20:19-21]  

We note his emphasis on teaching a way of life, just as much as seeing making sure they correctly understood God's will and purpose. "Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ" [1 Corinthians 11:1] Paul tells the Corinthians. Our Lord illustrated this in his life; his love was seen by his actions, his spirit of compassion – even as they were leading him to the cross ... His is the ultimate example that Paul was following. When we say we are followers of Christ – how do show we mean what we say?  

In the Old Testament we are reading the Song of Songs, we can see this, at least partly, as an allegorical story illustrating the love between Christ and his bride and her response and seeking for him. Parts of the story illustrated this today when we read how the bridegroom says, "came into my garden, my sister, my bride" [song 5:1]. She responds, "He is altogether desirable. This is my beloved" [song 5:16]. Do we see Christ in this way? Surely we desire his return – with all our heart!

Christ will come into his garden when he returns to make this world a paradise. May that time come, as our world is certainly not a paradise today! May we experience the greatest possible joy when we see our faith turned to sight. Paul wrote, "Who shall separate us from the love of Christ?" [Romans 8:35] and the answer is nothing "will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord" [Romans 8:39].  

But we must not count this life as of any value, except as we can create opportunities to be imitators of our Lord. We can also be imitators of Paul for he told believers, "be imitators of me, as I am of Christ." (quoted above)  

-------

- DC

09 May 2017

Deuteronomy 26

Song 6

Acts 21; 22   

"... WITH ALL YOUR HEART"

Sometimes we use the phrase "half-hearted" meaning – we do not feel total commitment to what we are doing. We cannot follow God and His Son, who died for us, in this frame of mind. Our chapter in Deuteronomy today contains a powerful appeal by Moses to the people he will soon leave - about the frame of mind they should set themselves to possess when they start to live in the promised land and enjoy its blessings. They will need full sincerity of heart in serving their God who has given them these blessings, fully realizing he is the only real God.

Moses words contain several passages which are powerful exhortations for us in the 21st Century and our anticipation of an utterly wonderful "promised land." He writes, "You shall take some of the first of all the fruit of the ground, which you harvest from your land that the LORD your God is giving you …and you shall go to the place that the LORD your God will chose to make his name dwell there." [Deuteronomy 26:2] Then Moses briefly gives a history of the formation of the nation from the days of Abraham to the time when "the LORD brought us out of Egypt with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm, with great deeds …" [Deuteronomy 26:8].  

At this coming time of entry into their promised land, he tells them, "you shall rejoice in all the good that the LORD your God has given to you …" [Deuteronomy 26:11] Moses reminds them of all the statutes and rules … the LORD your God commands" adding "You shall therefore be careful to do them with all your heart and with all your soul." [Deuteronomy 26:16] He reminds them that they "have declared today that the LORD is your God and that you will walk in his ways" [Deuteronomy 26:17]

The parallel to our commitment to Christ reaches a higher dimension with Moses next words, "… you are a people for his treasured possession ... he will set you in praise and in fame and in honour high above all nations … you shall be a people holy to the LORD your God." [Deuteronomy 26:18] They briefly achieved this under Solomon, but then God had a greater Son of David in view, and a wonderful promised land for those who follow him. Peter was granted a wonderful comprehension of this that he, with all who follow this Son, "are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession …" [1 Peter 2:9] 

Let us make sure we are "careful ...with all (y)our heart" to show by our words and actions that we belong to this holy spiritual nation now, for the time is surely close when our faith will be turned to sight.

-------

- DC

10 May 2017

Deuteronomy 27

Song 7

Acts 23; 24

"AMEN"

In our Deuteronomy reading today the word "AMEN" occurs no less than 12 times!  

Very soon the Israelites will cross the Jordan, but Moses will no longer be their leader. Their crossing of the Jordan carries great symbolism, "Moses and the Levitical priests said to all Israel, 'Keep silence and hear O Israel: this day you have become the people of the LORD your God. You shall therefore obey the voice of the LORD your God, keeping his commandments and his statutes which I command you today.'" [Deuteronomy 27:9-10]  

We must not underestimate those opening words – "Keep silence and hear" all too many of us only hear what we want to hear! We blot out the rest but fail to keep silence.

Moses goes on to say that when they have crossed the Jordan they are to show that they hear – and what's more – show that they agree with what they have heard!  

He tells them what is to happen.  

"The Levites shall declare to all the men of Israel in a loud voice" [Deuteronomy 27:14] They will declare twelve statements and after each the people are to respond by saying, "AMEN"; in this away acknowledging they have heard and agree!

The first statement relates to the first sin that had been committed after they left Egypt. "Cursed be the man that makes a carved or cast metal image, an abomination to the LORD … and all the people shall say, Amen" [Deuteronomy 27:15]  

The final statement in the last verse is, "Cursed be anyone who does not confirm the words of this law by doing them. And all the people shall say "Amen".

Imagine if you had been one of the people saying, Amen! Well, the commitment the people made worked. Almost all the people who went into the land under the leadership of Joshua and who had kept silence and heard and had said Amen, were faithful to their agreement.  

Next week we will read of the tragedy of the one who failed. Let us learn lessons from these examples; let us be willing to say "Amen" to what the Lord requires of us today.

-------

- DC

11 May 2017

Deuteronomy 28

Song 8

Acts 25; 26

"PERFORMING DEEDS IN KEEPING WITH …"

How inspiring are the words Paul addresses to King Agrippa! In Acts 26 we read his account of his life following his conversion, in effect Paul was turned right around, to become a follower of the true Messiah. What an example this is to the great majority today, who need turning right around, from following the ways of our godless world. Despite the trouble he is now in Paul is totally positive – and the question he puts to King Agrippa – "do you believe the prophets" - is also put to you and I! Paul did not wait for the king to answer, but immediately added, "I know that you believe" [Acts 26:27]. The King does not deny this, but notice his response, "In a short time would you persuade me to be a Christian?" [Acts 26:28] That is, to act on what you know to be true. 

It is one thing to accept what the prophets wrote as being true and to acknowledge that their words came – and are coming - to pass: it is another for this to make a difference in our attitude toward God and "to become a Christian" - in the sense in which they were Christians in the First Century. To become a follower of Christ one has to show this by attitudes and actions as well as by words. Paul testifies in his message "to the Gentiles that they should repent and turn to God, performing deeds in keeping with their repentance." [Acts 26:20]

The major events in Israel of nearly 2,000 years ago are powerfully evidenced by history – not just in the Bible text – but in Roman history. Alongside this we can put our reading today in Deuteronomy 28. Moses sets out the blessings the nation will have if they truly serve God when they enter the promised land. The first generation did so – as the book of Joshua we are about read shows for us.  

But the latter part of our Deuteronomy chapter details the curses that would come upon them for turning their back on God – ending with an awesome description which had its ultimate fulfillment in the Holocaust 60 years ago. "The Lord will give you there a trembling heart and failing eyes and a languishing soul. Your life will hang in doubt before you. Night and day you shall be in dread …" [Deuteronomy 28:66-67] Some try to deny the Holocaust but "this has not been done in a corner," which was Paul declaration to King Agrippa [Acts 26:26].

What position do we take? There is no neutral position! Jesus said, "Whoever denies me before men, I also will deny before my Father who is in heaven." [Matthew 10:33] We believe! Wonderful – so are we "performing deeds in keeping with our repentance"!? Our Lord knows whether that is the case – and we will realize he knows this - when he returns – and how soon now!?

-------

- DC

12 May 2017

Deuteronomy 29

Isaiah 1

Acts 27 

"HEAR – FOR THE LORD HAS SPOKEN"

Today we start reading the heart challenging book of Isaiah. Isaiah 1:2 is particularly challenging! "Hear … give ear, O earth; for the LORD has spoken." And his words of have been recorded and preserved – and have challenged every generation – and today, the people of every nation. They challenge us most of all, because we read them every day. Those who do not read them – avoid being challenged – but this is at the peril of their eternal life.

Isaiah 1:4 is such an awesome challenge for today! "Ah, sinful nation, a people laden with iniquity … who deal corruptly! They have forsaken the LORD …" 

How appropriate for today is Isaiah 1:10! "Hear (read) the word of the LORD, you rulers of Sodom! … you people of Gomorrah!" We know how God condemned those godless cities – see Genesis 19:24,28. Today the whole world has become almost totally godless, although his word, the Bible, is available in every language. As in Isaiah's day, the pretence of belief has become "an abomination to God." [isaiah 1:13].

Isaiah 1:15 we read today is awesome! Israel's spirituality had become so bad! God declares through Isaiah, says - I will hide my eyes from you; even though you make many prayers, I will not listen. We balance this declaration against the LORD's words in Isaiah 1:18-19. "Come now, let us reason together, says the LORD: though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red like crimson, they shall become like wool. If you are willing and obedient …"

That is most encouraging! But the "other side of the coin" in Isaiah 1:20 "but if you refuse and rebel, you shall be eaten by the sword; for the mouth of the LORD has spoken." And that "spoken" word is now written and is available in every language – and it used to be available is nearly every house!  

Isaiah 1:28 jumps out at us – as to what the LORD has spoken! "… rebels and sinners shall be broken together, and those who forsake the LORD shall be consumed."

-------

- DC

13 May 2017

Deuteronomy 30

Isaiah 2

Act 28  

"PROCLAIMING THE KINGDOM"

We come to the end of the readings in ACTS today with the last 2 verses telling us that Paul was in Rome for two whole years … and welcomed all who came to him, proclaiming the kingdom of God and teaching about the Lord Jesus Christ with all boldness and without hindrance. That is where Luke ends his narrative, we have no inspired record of what happened after that. 

We notice the emphasis on Paul proclaiming God's Kingdom – it is sad that as the generations passed that the message preached became totally corrupted to one of human imagination, that of an immortal soul existence in heaven.

Now our reading in Isaiah has wonderful details about God's Kingdom that "shall come to pass in the latter days … and all the nations shall flow to it … and say: Come let us go up … to the house (temple) of the God of Jacob that he may teach us his ways and that we may walk in his paths for out of Zion shall go the law and the word of the LORD from Jerusalem … he shall judge between nations … nation shall not lift up sword (weapons) against nation, neither shall they learn war any more" [isaiah 2:2-4]. The kingdom Paul was proclaiming was that revealed in Isaiah and other prophets as well as spoken of by Jesus Christ. 

But Isaiah has another vision of our days: three times in the last 11 verses of this chapter we encounter the phrase, "in that day"! His vision describes a time when "the lofty pride of man shall be humbled" [isaiah 2:11] a message against "every high tower" [isaiah 2:15] and never have buildings been built higher than today. Later Isaiah sees in vision "the day of the great slaughter when the towers fall … the LORD comes from afar, burning with anger … to sift the nations with the sieve of destruction" [isaiah 30:25,27,28] 

This compares with words in today's chapter, "the lofty pride of men shall be brought low, and the LORD alone will be exalted in that day … when he rises to terrify thee earth" [isaiah 2:17,19]. Those who do not know God's word will be terrified. Let us make sure we know what God has spoken about "the kingdom" through the prophets: we will come across some awesome prophecies about "that day" as we read Isaiah.

-------

- DC

14 May 2017

Deuteronomy 31

Isaiah 3; 4

Colossians 1 

"INCREASING IN THE KNOWLEDGE OF GOD"

Is your knowledge of God increasing? We live in a world in which all kinds of knowledge multiplies as never before – human cleverness appears to know no bounds - until there is a cyber attack!

Sadly – at the same time, awareness and acknowledgement of God is decreasing at an astonishing rate - has it reached zero?

It reminds us of the parable in which the citizens "hated" him and sent a message saying, "We do not want this man to reign over us." [Luke 19:14]. We note what happened to them when the king returned! [Luke 19:27]

Today the citizens are saying, and if they do not actually say it, their actions show it – We do not want to even think there is a God who has oversight of our lives and knows intimately the nature of human thought and desire.

Our thoughts were provoked in this direction by Paul's letter, written from prison, to the Colossians. The believers there are very much in Paul's thoughts. "We always thank God, the father of our Lord Jesus Christ, when we pray for you …" [Colossians 1:3] 

Timothy is with Paul (Colossians 1:1 sharing his prayers) ... He emphasizes what occupies his mind in Colossians 1:9  "... we have not ceased to pray for you asking that …" And what is he asking? "Asking that you may be filled with the knowledge of his will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, so as to walk in a manner fully pleasing to him …" [Colossians 1:9-10].

His next words are, "bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God." In some contexts we read the word "knowledge" in the sense of "knowing" – becoming fully aware of a person so as to develop a relationship with them. 

Consider Job's final declaration about God after his earnest efforts to understand his ways! Read Job 42:2 onwards. Consider also what Jesus accomplished "by his knowledge" [isaiah 53:11]

Central to our relationship with God is "Christ in you" [Colossians 1:27] "Him we proclaim," writes Paul, "that we may present everyone mature in Christ" [Colossians 1:28] How is your maturity developing? Absorbing the true sense of the divine word is a foundation for this. May we all increase day by day in the "knowledge of God" and become "mature in Christ" so his way of thinking becomes more and more our way of thinking.

-------

- DC

15 May 2017

Deuteronomy 32

Isaiah 5

Colossians 2  

"THEY ARE OF NO VALUE"

Meditating further on Paul's letter to the Colossians we see how it opens out into some challenging concepts. The problems at Colossae (and elsewhere) have their parallels to behaviour in worship today – see at its worst in the Catholic Church. It is the desire to create rituals – as though this somehow made you more righteous in the sight of God.

We become aware in some parts of Paul's letters that the converts who had been Jews and living diligently according to the Law had a desire to develop rituals in serving Christ and the Father. Jesus had warned against "traditions" that religious leaders of his day had developed (see Matthew 15:3-9). 

Creating things to observe and keep do not make us more righteous – indeed they have the opposite effect – they can make us self-righteous. Paul tells the Colossians, "let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath. These are a shadow" [Colossians 2:16], that is, there is no substance in them. Observing festivals, e.g. Easter and keeping the Sabbath, do not make those doing so more righteous, Paul says, "they are of no value in stopping the indulgence of the flesh." [Colossians 2:23]

What is of value? It is by "holding fast to the head, from whom the whole body, nourished and knit together through its joints and ligaments, grows with a growth that is from God." [Colossians 2:19] And how does God cause growth? 

We are wonderfully blessed that each one can own and read - as he or she makes the time – the whole of the words that God revealed and caused to be written through men like Moses, prophets like Isaiah, the Gospels and the letters of the Apostles. They provide essential spiritual nourishment every day – other things are seen more and more "as of no value in stopping the indulgence of the flesh" – and we have to admit that more and more things today – encourage such indulgence. 

But it is not so much a case of setting our minds to stop ourselves doing things that our human nature inclines us toward thinking and doing – but instead - of occupying our thoughts to a greater degree with spiritual things. The result of this will be that we will be less and less inclined to indulge in fleshly thoughts and activities – but instead will grow "with a growth that is from God." [Colossians 2:19] as we value his word to an ever greater degree. 

Paul tells the Colossians, "when Christ who is your life appears, then you also will appear with him in glory." [Colossians 3:4] And that "glory" will be of the greatest "value" for "no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the heart of man imagined, what God has prepared for those who love him" [1 Corinthians 2:9].

-------

- DC

16 May 2017

Deuteronomy 33; 34

Isaiah 6

Colossians 3; 4  

"THE WHOLE EARTH IS FULL OF HIS GLORY"

It is impossible to meaningfully imagine the time when "the whole earth (will be) full of his glory!" [isaiah 6:3] In one sense it is so today – for all the wonders of creation reflect the power and presence and glory of its' Creator. One big difference in the future (and how soon?) - is that everyone living will be conscious of the Creator – and their reaction to this consciousness will determine how meaningful, indeed – wonderful their relationship with the Creator (& his Son) will become in that age. 

What we read today in Isaiah inspires in us this meditation: also what we read today in the final 2 chapters of Deuteronomy. Deuteronomy 33 starts, "This is the blessing with which Moses the man of God blessed the people of Israel before his death." The chapter ends with this declaration! "Happy are you, O Israel! Who is like you, a people saved by the LORD, the shield of your help, and the sword of your triumph!"

That generation of "the people of Israel" were indeed blessed as they entered into the promised land – but sadly – as we know, and will soon read – it didn't last! 

Back in Isaiah 6 the vision the prophet receives reverts back to his generation and he is told, "Go, and say to this people: "Keep on hearing, but do not understand; keep on seeing, but do not perceive.'  Make the heart of this people dull …" [isaiah 6:9-10] And so it happened, the people came to hear Isaiah and other prophets – but they did "not perceive." And so today, since printing was invented, everyone could own a Bible – and until recent years – just about everyone did! 

How long now – before "the whole earth is full of (God's) glory!" We finish by looking on to Isaiah 52 and its vision of the time when "the LORD has bared his holy arm before the eyes of all the nations, and all the ends of the earth shall see the salvation of our God." [isaiah 52:10] Will you be there? You make the answer now – not just in words – but in actions. Finally, we have read Paul's words to the Colossians, "the riches of the glory of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory." [Colossians 1:27] That hope will be fulfilled when "the whole earth is full of (God's) glory!" This "hope" must become totally active in our thinking  day after day.

-------

- DC

17 May 2017

Joshua 1

Isaiah 7

1 Thessalonians 1; 2 

"THE WORD … WHICH IS AT WORK IN YOU BELIEVERS"

As we started reading Paul's letters to the Thessalonians we cannot help but be arrested in mind – and feel challenged by Paul's perception of the spirit among the believers there. Paul had "charged (them) to walk in a manner worthy of God, who calls you into his own kingdom and glory." [1 Thessalonians 2:12] That charge has come down to us – and it is more than a simple request to try to do this. This is because when they "received the word of God, which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word of men but as what it really is, the word of God …" [1 Thessalonians 2:13]

That "word" says Paul "is at work in you believers." Let us get the point, Paul realizes that what he writes is inspired by God. As God's inspired word if they (and ourselves) take it into both their hearts and minds, then that "word" will be "at work in … believers" today as well: but only in believers whose hearts are alive with the conviction and wonder of having a relationship with God – truly sensing that – as Paul told the Athenians, that "in him we live and move and have our being." [Acts 17:28]

As we read God's word every day we must let it come "alive" in our minds and our hearts – only then can it be "the word … which is at work in you believers" and we, as Jesus told his disciples, "are clean because of the word that I have spoken to you. Abide in me, and I in you." [John 15:3-4] If we truly do that, day by day, then as Paul told the Thessalonians, God's "word … is at work in you believers." 

Let us become in heart and mind genuine latter day disciples – and how soon now – before our faith is turned to sight, because God's word has been "at work" in our hearts and minds - and let us constantly pray – using the words of David, "Oh, let the evil of the wicked come to an end, and may you establish the righteous – you who test the minds and hearts, O righteous God!" [Psalm 7:9] 

-------

- DC

18 May 2017

Joshua 2

Isaiah 8

1 Thessalonians 3; 4

"THAT HE MAY ESTABLISH YOUR HEARTS BLAMELESS … AT THE COMING OF OUR LORD" 

How inspiring to us – for meditation – are the words Paul addressed to the Thessalonians that we read today!  It seems Paul is writing from prison but is experiencing spiritual joy at the news Timothy brings him (1 Thessalonians 3:6) about the situation among believers at Thessalonica. Let us see ourselves today – as "the last day" Thessalonians. Paul's words here are a "prayer" that we should have "joy" toward one another.

Paul wrote to them (and to us) "may the Lord make you increase and abound in love for one another and for all, as we do for you, so that he may establish your hearts blameless in holiness before our God and Father, at the coming of our Lord Jesus with all his saints." [1 Thessalonians 3:12-13].

The next chapter is even more inspiring! It provides us with, if we take it fully into our hearts, a sense of utter wonderment! "For the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a cry of command … And the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we will always be with the Lord." [1 Thessalonians 3:16-17] 

Finally, let's meditate on the 1 Thessalonians 4:18 and final verse! "Therefore encourage one another with these words." This statement must be taken as saying that a vital part of being able to "establish your hearts blameless" is to know (in our hearts) Paul's words we read in 1 Thessalonians 2. "For what is our hope or joy or crown of boasting before our Lord Jesus at his coming? Is it not you? For you are our glory and joy." [1 Thessalonians 2:19] 

May this be our "joy" and that of our fellow believers, where-ever they may be. Let us "establish (y)our hearts blameless" in this way, be ready for "the coming of our Lord Jesus" and, as we will read in 2 days time – and "our being gathered together to him." [2 Thessalonians 2:1]

-------

- DC

19 May 2017

Joshua 3; 4

Isaiah 9

1 Thessalonians 5  

"THE PEOPLE … IN DARKNESS HAVE SEEN A GREAT LIGHT"

What darkness covers our world today! Nearly all have given up looking for light – they have come to the conclusion that this life is all there is – they have come believe that they are the highest form of the animals – that somehow – magically evolved!  And also the "missing links" also magically – vanished! 

The philosophy of the great majority is "Let us enjoy life as much as we can, have as many experiences we can, after this life – there is nothing – but I refuse to think about that!  

But there are some, just a few, who see the light – indeed – they echo to the words of David to the Lord in Psalm 56, "I will render thank offerings to you. For you have delivered my soul from death, yes, my feet from falling, that I may walk before God in the light of life." [Psalm 56:12-13] David did not die – he only "fell asleep" – see Acts 13:36

Today's remarkable chapter in Isaiah [isaiah 9] triggered this line of thought. God gives us many inspiring pictures of the future of world – pictures that he inspired Isaiah to record. We can visualise the Psalms of David being a source of inspiration for Isaiah as God caused him to write – "The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light; those who dwelt in a land of deep darkness, on them has light shone." [isaiah 9:2] Nearly everyone today is walking in "deep darkness." Meditate on Proverbs 4:19! The teachings of prophets and Jesus are forgotten. The challenging words of Jesus are ignored – or forgotten. What a wonderful – inspiring declaration Jesus made to a sinner! "Neither do I condemn you; go, and from now on sin no more." [John 8:11]

Today nearly all people "enjoy" being sinners, they do not think of anything in their lives as being sinful – the word "sin" is no longer in their vocabulary! Of course, they do not want to break the laws of the land – at least – not openly, but spiritually, they are content, indeed happy to live "in darkness" – they are "blind" to the existence of "a great light". What an awesome shock awaits them when Jesus returns. But what of ourselves? Are we really ready for his return? Are we longing to see the wonder of the "great light."? 

-------

- DC

20 May 2017

Joshua 5; 6

Isaiah 10

2 Thessalonians 1; 2  

"WE ALWAYS PRAY THAT OUR GOD MAY MAKE YOU  WORTHY"

The first 2 chapters of Paul's second letter to the Thessalonians have some awesome ­ and thought challenging verses. Paul is inspired to write a vivid and descriptive prophecy about events at the return of Jesus "when he comes on that day to be glorified in his saints, and to be marveled at among all who have believed, because our testimony to you was believed." [2 Thessalonians 1:10] 

Paul says "we always pray for you" (a prayer that surely includes us) "that our God may make you worthy of his calling and may fulfil every resolve for good and every work of faith by his power." [2 Thessalonians 1:11] It will be a wondrous time with the result "that the name of our Lord Jesus may be glorified in you, and you in him …" [2 Thessalonians 1:12] 

This is surely telling us that the steadfast faith of believers will "make (them) worthy of his calling." Let us ­ each one ­ Examine yourselves, to see whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Or do you not realize this about yourselves, do, as Paul exhorted the Corinthians in his second letter to them ­ "Examine yourselves, to see whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Or do you not realize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you? unless indeed you fail to meet the test!" [2 Corinthians 13:5] 

The ultimate testing time will surely be the challenging experience to those alive when Jesus is returning - "when", as we read in 2 Thessalonians 1 today, "the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven with his mighty angels in flaming fire, inflicting vengeance on those who do not know God and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus." [2 Thessalonians 1:7-8] Let us echo Paul's prayer ­ for each other ­  every day ­ and be able to say, "we always pray … that our God may make you worthy."

-------

- DC

21 May 2017

Joshua 7

Isaiah 11

2 Thessalonians 3  

"THE EARTH SHALL BE FULL OF ... "

Today's Isaiah chapter is that marvellous one which tells us of the time to come when "the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the LORD as the waters cover the sea" [isaiah 11:9] The first part of the chapter is about the work of our Lord Jesus - and we see how it began in his first coming when Isaiah 11:2 was fulfilled. "The Spirit of the LORD shall rest upon him, the Spirit of wisdom and understanding, the Spirit of counsel and might, the Spirit of knowledge and the fear of the LORD." John 3:34 tells us that Jesus received the Spirit "without measure".  

The Gospels show us how he showed wisdom and understanding and also exercised the Spirit of "might" when the occasion required; but how much more in the time to come, which is surely getting close, when he returns to "strike the earth with the rod of his mouth, and with the breath of his lips he shall kill the wicked.  Righteousness shall be the belt of his waist, and faithfulness the belt of his loins" [isaiah 11:4-5]

How wonderful that destruction is followed by righteousness, exercised in faithfulness for the meek of the earth. Let us always remember how, in what is called 'The sermon on the Mount', Jesus said, "Blessed are the meek for they shall inherit the earth" [Matthew 5:5] Meek does not mean timid, we read of Moses that "he was very meek, more than all people that were on the face of the earth." [Numbers 12:3] He learnt meekness after he fled from Pharaoh and spent 40 years as a shepherd - only then could God use him to lead his people out of Egypt. 

It is thought provoking to see how often David uses this word in the Psalms, it is often translated as "humble." The other wonderful thing in Isaiah's chapter today is the reference to the removal of the curse on the earth that God imposed when Adam and Eve were cast out of the Garden of Eden. Paul referred to this in writing to the Romans. Read Romans 8:18-22 of the time when "creation will be set free".  

How wonderful what Isaiah tells us about that time "when they shall not hurt nor destroy" [isaiah 11:9] - and this will include all living things for "the cow and the bear shall graze; their young shall lie down together; and the lion shall eat straw like the ox." [isaiah 11:7] Oh, the wonder of what is to come. What a contrast to the fears of human beings today with their worries over climate change and the endless and increasing friction between nations. Let us all increase our vision of that time - and our anticipation of when "the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the LORD ..."

-------

- DC

22 May 2017

Joshua 8

Isaiah 12

1 Timothy 1; 2; 3 

"LOVE THAT ISSUES FROM A PURE HEART"

Love is a word in common use today. The utter sincerity of its use by Paul in his letters bears no relation to the way most people use it today. Paul wrote to Timothy, who is described as "my true child in the faith" - to practice "love that issues from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith." [1 Timothy 1:5]  Such a faith is an essential ingredient in true Christ-like living. Imagine making bread without flour!  

Paul illustrates his point by drawing the contrast with those who do not act in spiritual love, those who "have wandered away into vain discussion, desiring to be teachers of the law, without understanding either what they are saying or the things about which they make confident assertions" ["LOVE THAT ISSUES FROM A PURE HEART"]

Love is a word in common use today. The utter sincerity of its use by Paul in his letters bears no relation to the way most people use it today. Paul wrote to Timothy, who is described as "my true child in the faith" - to practice "love that issues from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith." [1 Timothy 1:5]. Such a faith is an essential ingredient in true Christ-like living. Imagine making bread without flour! 

Paul illustrates his point by drawing the contrast with those who do not act in spiritual love, those "have wandered away into vain discussion, desiring to be teachers of the law, without understanding either what they are saying or the things about which they make confident assertions" [1 Timothy 1:1-11] It was the spirit of the Scribes and Pharisees re-emerging amongst the believers.

He tells Timothy that, "I hope to come to you soon , but I am writing these things to you so that, if I delay, you may know how one ought to behave in the household of God …" 1 Timothy 3:15] Paul goes on to explain how each community of believers should have overseers, or elders. He goes into great detail about the qualities such persons ought to have. He must be married and have brought up children for if he cannot effectively manage "his own household" how will he properly "care for God's church"? [1 Timothy 3:5] up with conceit and fall into the condemnation of the devil." [1 Timothy 3:6] 

What is this devil? How can an overseer be seen to be condemned by a devil? The translators are inconsistent, for the Greek word diabolos they translate here as devil occurs again in 1 Timothy 6:11 about what the character of the wives of deacons should NOT be! They translate diabolos as "slanderer" in this case! Jesus said "Have I not chosen you, the Twelve? Yet one of you is a devil" (diabolos) [John 6:70] It is to be greatly regretted that the Church, over time, built up a totally fictitious story about the existence of an unseen evil supernatural spirit being. 

Those who take any position of responsibility in God's church "must be dignified, not double tongued, not addicted to much wine, not greedy ... They must hold the mystery of the faith with a clear conscience" [1 Timothy 3:8-9]. Timothy is told that he should, "set the believers an example in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, in purity." [1 Timothy 4:12]. We should all aim to do this and practice "love that issues from a pure heart." [1 Timothy 4:6-7] It was the spirit of the Scribes and Pharisees re-emerging amongst the believers.

Those who take any position of "responsibility" in God's church "must be dignified, not double tongued, not addicted to much wine, not greedy ... They must hold the mystery of the faith with a clear conscience" [1 Timothy 3:8-9]. Timothy is told that he should, "set the believers an example in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, in purity." [1 Timothy 6:12]. We should all aim to do this and practice "love that issues from a pure heart."

-------

- DC

23 May 2017

Joshua 9

Isaiah 13

1 Timothy 4; 5

"… THE EARTH WILL BE SHAKEN" 

What place is named in the first and last books of the Bible – and in many in between? Yes, it's Babylon, yet you may not recognize that it occurs in Genesis because it is translated in its Hebrew form of Babel. The account in Genesis [Genesis 11] is about what happened when the descendants of Noah multiplied and built a city and a tower and said "let us make a name for ourselves" [Genesis 11:4]. They so soon forgot the lesson of the flood and the example of faith of their forefather Noah. God judged that city and scattered its inhabitants. The world forgets today!

Yet the name keeps occurring as further examples of human pride! Remember Nebuchadnezzar's pride as he ruled Babylon. Recall the visions in Revelation where Babylon occurs and is used in connection with the latter day destruction of human pride and godlessness at the return of Jesus Christ. 

Isaiah is the main Old Testament prophet that is caused to prophecy about Babylon. The city was a growing power in his day and a threat to Jerusalem. Yet in the prophecies God gave him about Babylon are included some words which obviously apply to its final destruction. Today's reading of Isaiah 13 is the first time we encounter this in Isaiah. Isaiah 13:1 tells us its "the oracle concerning Babylon" but part of what follows is echoed in words Jesus used to describe God's judgements in the last days. We specially note Isaiah 13:10, "for the stars of the heavens and their constellations will not give their light, the sun will be dark at its setting and the moon will not shed its light."

Jesus spoke of the time when "the sun will be darkened and the moon will not give its light then will appear in heaven the sign of the son of man … and they will see the son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory." [Matthew 24:29-30] 

Looking further in Isaiah - the next verses to what we quoted tell us, "I will punish the world for its evil and the wicked for their iniquity; I will put an end to the pomp of the arrogant, and lay low the pompous pride of the ruthless. I will make people more rare than fine gold … the earth will be shaken out of its place at the wrath of the LORD of hosts in the day of his fierce anger" [isaiah 13:11-13].  

The world today denies God as much as the people did in the days of Noah. We fear that God's message through Isaiah will come true, dreadfully true in the near future. May our faith become stronger and stronger, anticipating the day when "the earth will be shaken" but then – the wonder of seeing "the son of man coming ..."

-------

- DC

24 May 2017

Joshua 10

Isaiah 14

1 Timothy 6

"FLEE THESE THINGS" 

The Apostle Paul concludes his first letter to "his son" [Philippians 2:.22] Timothy with a survey of the problems and bad influences amongst some of the believers. He stresses the things he should teach adding, "If anyone teaches a different doctrine and does not agree with the sound words of our Lord Jesus Christ and the teaching that accords with godliness, he is puffed up with conceit and understands nothing." [1 Timothy 6:3-4]

He warns Timothy of "people who are depraved in mind and deprived of the truth, imagining that godliness is a means of gain." [1 Timothy 6:5] It is distressing that some appear to give the appearance of "godliness" – the worst example is those who seek to become Priests and Pastors and the like and as a result have a comfortable lifestyle and people look up to them.

Let us carefully note the attitude Paul stresses, "there is great gain in godliness with contentment, for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world.  But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content." [1 Timothy 6:7-8] 

We take nothing out of the world when our journey through life is complete! Let us aim to "leave" an example of true godliness – that is the greatest bequest we can make having followed "the teaching that accords with godliness". Our world is making a "god" of money - and the possessions and travel experiences, and other things, many of them godless that it can bring. Let us note Paul's warning; "the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith …" [1 Timothy 6:10].

Look how Paul urges Timothy, "But as for you, O man of God, flee these things. Pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, steadfastness, gentleness. "Fight the good fight of faith.  Take hold of eternal life to which you were called …" [1 Timothy 6:11-12] The phrase "flee these things" highlights the urgent need to get away from wrong attitudes – and what to "pursue" in their place. "Let us imagine Paul is writing to us with these words - for in following them we keep ourselves "unstained and free from reproach until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ." [1 Timothy 6:14] 

-------

- DC

25 May 2017

Joshua 11

Isaiah 15

2 Timothy 1

"I REMEMBER YOU CONSTANTLY IN MY PRAYERS"

Today we started reading the final epistle that Paul wrote, his second letter to Timothy. The spiritual relationship he had developed with him is an example to us of the relationship we should aim to develop with fellow believers; surely we should remember each other constantly in our prayers. The spiritual rapport we develop will be invaluable, especially in the times of real trouble that are increasingly threatening our world! How close is the return of our Lord?

Paul tells Timothy, "I remember you constantly in my prayers night and day." [2 Timothy 1:3] How often do we pray? How much do we pray for each other? Paul tells Timothy, "I am reminded of your sincere faith, a faith that dwelt first in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice and now, I am sure, dwells in you …" [2 Timothy 1:5] That is a challenging way of describing the "active" nature of a genuine faith! It is more than an attitude in our brain – it is the active principle on which our heart operates.

The epistles of John illustrate this in a heart-challenging way, he wrote, "Whoever believes in the Son of God has the testimony in himself … And this is the testimony, that God gave us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life." [1 John 5:11-12]  Food for the deepest thought and meditation here!  

Clearly Paul had this "testimony in himself." We perceive this as meaning that his faith had developed to its' fullest extent, his life was the outcome of a "sincere faith." It caused Paul to "constantly … remember" Timothy in his "prayers."  

We must each meditate on what we "remember … constantly in …  (our) prayers" Do we "remember" the spirit that was in us when we were converted. Paul certainly did, and it is evident this "constantly" and dramatically influenced the rest of his life. What about ourselves? May we "constantly in (our) prayers" seek to follow, more and more, the example of Paul.

-------

- DC