TFTBR - March 2017

Resource Manager

01 March 2017

Leviticus 5; 6

Psalms 105

1 Corinthians 14 

"A BREACH OF FAITH AGAINST THE LORD" 

The book of Leviticus goes into great detail about how the people were to become a law-abiding people by obeying the laws God was giving them.  Tragically, apart from the Levites, the grown-up people who had experienced life in Egypt, even though they had been slaves, never humbled themselves to keep faith with the God whose great power they had witnessed as they were delivered from Egypt.

It is most enlightening to look back to the time when the Bible was first translated and printed nearly five hundred years ago.  This was the time when Kings and Queens began to lose their absolute powers and detailed laws began to be put in their place by the Parliaments that were set up.  Those formulating the laws often took their guidance from many of the principles in the laws God gave to Moses some 3,000 years earlier.  Our generation has forgotten all that - and that God said, “Woe unto them who become wise in their own eyes” [isaiah 5:21]

Today Leviticus 6 starts with these words, “The LORD spoke to Moses, saying, “If anyone sins and commits a breach of faith against the LORD by deceiving his neighbour in “There follows various types of wrong doing” for e.g. “he has oppressed his neighbour or has found something lost and lied about it, swearing (giving an oath) falsely – in any and all the things that people do and sin thereby” [Leviticus 6:2-3]

We need to notice the point that all wrong-doing was seen by God as “a breach of faith against the LORD” In God’s eyes all wrong doing by those who bear his name are sins against him.  David immediately acknowledged this when he was made aware of his sin. [2 Samuel 12:13]  

So all our wrongdoing is “a breach of faith”, a lapse in the commitment we gave when we committed our lives to serve our Lord - and God became our heavenly Father. A verse in today’s Psalm particularly jumped out as we read it, “Seek the LORD and his strength: seek his presence continually” [Psalm 105:4]. The more we succeed in doing this, the more we will not sin.  Remember, all wrongdoing “is a breach of faith.”

-------

- DC

02 March 2017

Leviticus 7

Psalms 106

1 Corinthians 15 

"GOD, WHO GIVES US THE VICTORY THROUGH ..."

We pondered why the above saying rather suddenly occurs in that very moving and oft quoted 1 Corinthians 15. Parts of this chapter are often read at funerals, it contains a powerful testimony to the certainty of resurrection and that “in Christ shall all be made alive” [1 Corinthians 15:22] eternally “at his coming” adding the qualification “those who belong to Christ” [1 Corinthians 15:23]

We must not cease to “belong to Christ” but that is not the same as belonging to a group of believers, one can do that, but in one’s heart have ceased to belong to Christ – even though we have been baptised. Paul tells the Corinthians, “some have no knowledge of God, I say this to your shame” [1 Corinthians 15:34] He writes this immediately after making the point, “Do not be deceived, bad company ruins good morals.”

We are surrounded by people who do not believe in the God of the Bible, but that is not the same as having “no knowledge of God” in the sense Paul meant in this chapter. Look how the Bible uses this phrase. Read Proverbs 2:1-5 and note the “ifs” that lead to one having a “knowledge of God” and then the prayer of Jesus in John 17:3,25. In these and similar passages we see that having a “knowledge of God” we must have a real relationship with him.

It is “bad company” that will undermine our “knowledge of God” and then destroy that relationship or prevent it ever happening. But what is “bad company?” Today it occurs in dangerous and new ways. Television provides us with “company” and much of it qualifies as “bad company”! As we see badness multiplying in the world – often all around us – we recognise that TV is a powerful influence in this.

As a result human behaviour is displaying more and more selfish self-love and animal like instincts. Over and above the effects of much that is on TV, many now have ready access to the Internet – which offers a whole range of opportunities for even worse “bad company.”

Returning to our chapter we notice the last 2 verses, “But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. Therefore, my beloved … be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord your labour is not in vain” [1 Corinthians 15:57-58]. Let us make sure we are living in ways that show we “belong to Christ.”

------- 

- DC

03 March 2017

Leviticus 8 

Psalms 107 

1 Corinthians 16  

"IT WILL TAKE SEVEN DAYS TO ORDAIN YOU"

We have been reading in Leviticus about the laws and offerings that were to now come into operation now that the Tabernacle was set up and ready for use. Today's reading [Leviticus 8] is about how the LORD tells Moses to bring Aaron and his sons and assemble the entire congregation to the Tabernacle to witness their ordination. Moses then dresses Aaron in the elaborately prepared garments, with the ephod and the breastpiece of judgement. Various ordination offerings followed [Leviticus 8:22,28,29,31] Aaron and his sons are to stay within "the tent of meeting … until the days of your ordination (the A.V. uses the word consecration) are completed, for it will take seven days to ordain you." [Leviticus 8:33]

There is a total contrast between this ritual and the way the church operated in the First Century, when there is no mention or suggestion of anything like an ordination ceremony. The First Century churches apparently met in the homes of members as we read today in 1 Corinthians 16:19 – note also Acts 2:46; Romans 16:5;  Colossians 4:15 and Philemon 2. The word church does not mean a building, it means an "assembly" or congregation, as it is translated in Acts 19:32,39. 

There were no Priests, the elders had a key role and Peter simply describes himself as "a fellow elder" [1 Peter 5:1] and goes on to write that elders should "shepherd the flock of God that is among you, exercising oversight, not under compulsion, but willingly as God would have you; not for shameful gain, but eagerly, not domineering … but being examples to the flock." [1 Peter 5:2-3]  

It was not until the Church was officially accepted in the Roman Empire in the 4th Century that it began to develop an elaborate ritual of a Priesthood with ordinations and costuming. 

The First Century Christians saw Jesus Christ as their only Priest as Hebrews 4:14-5:10 makes plain. Even the Jews abandoned the Priesthood system after their Temple was destroyed. 

In a sense baptism is an ordination – when each individual ordains, that is decides, to commit his or her life to Christ and to God, but it does not take seven days – it takes a dedicated decision of the heart, a decision that changes the purpose of our lives for all time and those faithful to the end "will be priests of God and of Christ and they will reign with him …" [Revelation 20:6].

-------

- DC

04 March 2017

Leviticus 9; 10 

Psalms 108; 109 

2 Corinthians 1; 2  

"FOR WE ARE THE AROMA OF CHRIST"

Modern manufacturing and advertising salesmanship has become very ingenious in what they produce and encourage the public to buy – at least that is so in what we call the "western" world. Many of these things are far from essential, for example, the expensive things that are promoted to make us smell nice, to create pleasing and attractive aromas of various kinds.

This thought came to our minds as we read the opening chapters of Paul's 2nd letter to the Corinthians.  Paul, after his strictures in his first letter about aspects of their behaviour, has a number of positive encouraging things to say. He writes, "I made up mind not to make any painful visit to you" [2 Corinthians 2:1] and then adds "I wrote to you out of much affliction and anguish of heart and with many tears, not to cause you pain but to let you know the abundant love I have for you." [2 Corinthians 2:4] 

Paul's attitude is that of the spirit of a parent in dealing with a wayward child they still love. When there is need for deserved words, and even actions of disapproval, all such must still be done in a loving spirit.

Paul says, "Thanks be to God who … through us spreads the fragrance of the knowledge of him everywhere. For we are the aroma of Christ to God among those who are being saved" [2 Corinthians 2:14-15]. What great examples of a loving attitude we should be toward one another. Even when we feel the need to point out behaviour that is not good, it is essential that we do this with a loving spirit. 

But what of others who despise and even sneer at the name of Christ? Well Paul says, "we are (also) the aroma of Christ … among those who are perishing, to one a fragrance from death to death, to the other a fragrance from life to life." [2 Corinthians 2:15-16].  

Jesus said, "As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world" [John 9:5]. True believers represent Christ in this world and must do their best to be both a "light and an aroma" that is still making its' presence felt in the increasing darkness of godlessness that surrounds and, in these last days, threatens to suffocate us.

-------

- DC

05 March 2017

Leviticus 11

Psalms 110; 111; 112

2 Corinthians 3; 4

"NOT AFRAID OF BAD NEWS"

The Psalms abound with challenging and positive thoughts in them. But our lives are often invaded by situations that provoke negative thoughts. We need the positive inspired words of the Psalms, Israel's Hymn Book that David began to compile more than 3,000 years ago. They are a great stimulus to positive thinking.

"The righteous will not be moved" [Psalm 112:6]. "That is, he or she will not collapse, wrote David, especially in times when they "walk through the valley of the shadow of death" [Psalm 23:4]. "He is not afraid of bad news; his heart is firm trusting in the LORD" [Psalm 112:7] "The fear (awe) of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom; all those who practice it have a good understanding" [Psalm 111:10].

The foundation of a life worth living before God is to be in awe of what God must be and to realize that he seeks to have a relationship with us. The realisation of this was the springboard to David's life so that he could begin the Psalm with the words, "I will give thanks to the LORD with my whole heart" [Psalm 111:1]. This spirit became the springboard of Paul's life. Also that of James, who had spurned belief in his half-brother Jesus [John 7:5], but, he like Paul, came to realize that what they saw as bad news then, turned out to be the best possible life-changing good news for a fully meaningful life and an even greater life that is to come. 

James writes about those who doubt, "the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind. For that person must not suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double minded man, unstable in all his ways" [James 1:6-8] Such a person's heart is not firm, he or she will be afraid of bad news.

James continues, "Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he (or she) has stood the test he will receive a crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him." [James 1:12]

-------

- DC

06 March 2017

Leviticus 12; 13

Psalms 113; 114

2 Corinthians 5; 6; 7

"LET US CLEANSE OURSELVES FROM …"

Remember how the disciples showed Jesus the grandeur of the Temple [Mark 13:1-2] and he shocked them by saying it was all going to be destroyed! Now see how today's reading in 2nd Corinthians shows how the temple was to be replaced. There is a new kind of Temple where God wants to dwell and that is the most important thing, the absolutely vital thing - in the life of a believer.

Paul writes, "we are the temple of the living God, as God has said …" [2 Corinthians 6:16]. But remarkably, Paul then quotes the words of God that we are going to read later this month in Leviticus. And what did God say to Moses that Paul felt he should quote in his final letter to the Corinthians?

"I will make my dwelling among them and walk among them, and will be their God, and they shall be my people. Therefore go from out from their ( i.e. the unbelievers) midst and be separate from them … then I will welcome you and I will be a father to you and you shall be sons and daughters to me says the Lord Almighty." [2 Corinthians 6:16-18]

Now notice what Paul adds after quoting these words from Leviticus 26:11-12. "since we have these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from every defilement of body and spirit bringing holiness to completion in the fear of God" [2 Corinthians 7:1] "Fear" of God? We think of that as meaning "in the awe of" what God must be!

Paul is saying that we, our minds and hearts, are God's spiritual temple - in which he seeks to live! We must each ask ourselves - what occupies our minds, what are the things we meditate upon?

Now it is vital that we are positive in our reaction to this fact – how utterly wonderful to have God in our very being, watching over us! In answering this question we see how important it is that we read God's word every day. Take time to note how at the beginning of 2 Corinthians 6 Paul quotes from Isaiah 49:8 – "now is the day of salvation" and think of the hymn Islip Collyer wrote,

'We know the end, we know the way,

And some with life he will endow,

Shall we be will him on that day?

We make the answer now.'"

-------

- DC

07 March 2017

Leviticus 14 

Psalms 115; 116 

2 Corinthians 8; 9  

“THEREFORE I WILL CALL UPON HIM AS LONG AS I LIVE”

How inspiring are the Psalms we read this morning. Psalm 115 starts, “Not to us, O LORD, not to us, but to your name give glory …" God’s name, that is, his reputation for all he has done, beginning with creation, has this primary sense of ‘God’s reputation’.

Today we know more of the wondrous intricacies of his creation than ever before – but there is less belief in God – than ever before! Consider and meditate on how it all works together, one thing depending on another. Most of us see the major things in front of us every day – the birds, the flowers and the bees. And how needful the rain and the sun!

After this we must focus our thinking on history, the panorama of human events. God has shown his anger, especially on Israel, to whom so much was given 2 to 3,000 years ago – and how they were punished for rejecting and crucifying his Son. Then we bring our minds to focus on and consider the meaning of the situation today! What a miracle, as prophesied has unfolded in the last 100 years – and surely it is now reaching an utterly sensational climax: surely the words we read in Psalm 79 last month – contain a question which is about to be answered!

“Why should the nations say, "‘Where is their God?’ Let the avenging of the outpoured blood of your servants be known among the nations …” [Psalm 79:10] This helps us to see the challenge of this morning’s Psalm which repeats this challenging question on its second verse!.

But then our eyes see – and our minds absorb – the next Psalm listed for today – Psalm 116! This is an intensely personal Psalm, it starts! “I love the LORD, because he has heard my voice and my pleas for mercy. Because he inclined his ear to me, therefore I will call on him as long as I live.” And David did do this – may we do the same, “as long as” we “live.” And, by his grace, that will ultimately be forever if we have fully committed our lives to him, a commitment that started with our baptism into the name of his Son.

-------

- DC

08 March 2017

Leviticus 15 

Psalms 117; 118 

2 Corinthians 10; 11 

"UNCLEAN, UNCLEAN"

A person with leprosy in Bible times was expected to cry out "UNCLEAN, UNCLEAN" so that people would know not to touch him or her for fear of contagion and become infected.

The word 'Leprosy' covers a multitude of skin infections, some serious, some not and we read in the last two days in Leviticus of the Priest's responsibility to determine which were serious and the action to take to prevent infections from spreading.

Today's chapter [Leviticus 15] is about the precautions to be taken with sick people and others who had bodily discharges with the object of preventing the spread of other infections and disease. We also read that if those unclean with a "discharge" touch anyone "without having rinsed their hands in water" then the person touched is also regarded as unclean until the evening and needs to "wash his clothes and bathe himself" [Leviticus 15:11] They also had to cleanse the drinking and other vessels they used.

Now it is now only little more than 200 years since our world discovered how infections spread and the great importance of hygiene; before then countless needless deaths and plagues occurred. In the 19th Century we read that a few medical men, suddenly realizing that the Bible had such laws given by God 4,000 years ago, became convinced it really was a divine revelation from God and followed the way of life and belief found in the Bible.

In today's reading, 2 Corinthians 11, we see a spiritual counterpart as Paul laments that some were easily "led astray from a sincere and pure devotion to Christ." 

Paul then writes, "if someone comes and proclaims another Jesus that the one we proclaimed, or if you receive a different spirit from the one you received, or if you accept a different gospel from the one you accepted, you put up with it readily enough." [2 Corinthians 11:3-5]

Paul says, "such men are false apostles, deceitful workmen, disguising themselves as apostles of Christ." [2 Corinthians 11:13] Sadly; it is the same today – and many accept an "unclean" gospel – but some, by God's grace, come to realize this and go through a cleansing process. There is, of course, a limit to the spiritual counterpart; note what Paul wrote in 1 Corinthians 5:9-13.

-------

- DC

09 March 2017

Leviticus 16 

Psalms 119:1-40 

2 Corinthians 12; 13 

"FOR WHEN I AM WEAK, THEN I AM STRONG"

What a contradiction that statement of Paul seems to be! Could we say that? The final 2 chapters of 2 Corinthians which we read today is an emotional plea to the believers at Corinth. 

In both his letter to Galatians [Galatians 4:11] and 1 Thessalonians [1 Thessalonians 3:5] Paul says "I am afraid I may have laboured over you in vain". We read today how he is equally concerned about the converts he has made at Corinth.

Jesus made Paul weak when he blinded him on the road to Damascus. Believing in Jesus can lead some people to become proud. The Jewish leaders were proud of their heritage as "the children of Abraham" but Jesus said, "If you were Abraham's children, you would be doing what Abraham did" [John 8:39] And what did Abraham do? He did things in faith! His belief in God changed his life! And Paul came to really know God through knowing God's Son, it changed his life – it gave him something genuine to live for! We all have to ask ourselves, what is changing our lives? It is a life-long experience!

As Paul brings his letter to a conclusion he bluntly says, "Examine yourselves whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves." [2 Corinthians 13:5] Are you really living by faith? Corinth was a very immoral city, and the potential failure of some to "meet the test" may well be that they had been overcome by the environment in which they lived.  Surely this is a great danger for us! 

Paul writes, "fear that when I come again my God may humble me before you, and I may have to mourn over many of those who sinned earlier and have not repented of the impurity, sexual immorality, and sensuality they have practiced" [2 Corinthians 12:21]. Paul was alive today would he have cause to mourn if he visited the place where you worship or came to your home? 

Paul wrote in 2 Corinthians 12:9 that Jesus had said to him, "my power is made perfect in weakness" [2 Corinthians 12:9]. The "power" of the religious leaders who crucified Christ – was destroyed by their exercise of power! 

What a challenge to follow in the footsteps of Paul when he wrote, "I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong." [2 Corinthians 12:10] This is strong in the ways he (and ourselves?) serve Christ! At the end of his first letter to the Corinthians Paul had written, "Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong." [1 Corinthians 16:13] Surely a message we must take to heart today.

-------

- DC

10 March 2017

Leviticus 17; 18 

Psalms 119:41-80 

Luke 1 

"SO KEEP MY CHARGE NEVER TO …"

Leviticus does not make pleasant reading, but there are many things in the Bible which make us feel uncomfortable – for our own good. We could not fail to notice, in reading Leviticus 18, the parallel with much of human behaviour today. The LORD tells Moses about his abhorrence of many of the ways of life in Egypt – and in leaving Egypt, God expected his people to leave that way of life behind. The chapter ends with the words, "So keep my charge never to practice any of these abominable customs that were practiced before you, and never make yourselves unclean by them. I am the LORD your God." 

What were these abominable customs? One was, "You shall not lie (have sex) with a male as with a woman."  [Leviticus 18:22] There is also a long list of sexual relationships which are wrong. God says, "You shall not do as they do in the land of Egypt, where you lived, and you shall not do as they do in the land of Canaan to which I am bringing you …. For by all these, the nations I am driving out before you have become unclean" [Leviticus 18:3,24]  

Our world today has become more than ever unclean in the sight of God – and he charges us, that is, demands of us, than we stay "clean". This is the spiritual hygiene which we saw emphasized yesterday as we started reading Psalm 119. We read more of this today and we see that David was conscious his ways needed some cleansing for he writes, "When I think of my ways, I turn my feet to your testimonies; I hasten and do not delay to keep your commandments. Though the cords of the wicked ensnare me, I do not forget your law …. I am a companion of all those who fear you …" [Psalm 119:59-62] Our daily reading and reflection on Gods word is essential in achieving this.

Notice that last sentence!'Instead of being a companion to those who have no thought for God, David seeks the companionship of those who do. David also recognises that troubles can be a blessing in disguise when he sees how his troubles led him to rely on God. He says, "It is good for me that I was afflicted that I might learn your statutes" [Psalm 119:71] and says to God (in prayer of course) "in faithfulness you have afflicted me" [Psalm 119:75].

Food for our own careful thought – and how we pray - when there are difficulties in our lives – to "keep" God's "charge" in every way, every day!

-------

- DC

11 March 2017

Leviticus 19 

Psalms 119:81-128 

Luke 2 

"SO THAT THOUGHTS FROM MANY HEARTS MAY BE REVEALED"

Many of the thoughts we have in our hearts are personal, we keep them to ourselves; but are they useful, are they productive? Could they sometimes be the starting point for prejudices we develop? They can be – unless our thoughts are constantly fed and influenced by God's word which alone feeds us with divine thoughts and perceptions.  

We meditate on God's words through Isaiah. "For my thoughts are not your thoughts ... For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts." [isaiah 55:8-9] Our mind flowed along these lines after reading the account today in Luke 2, the words of Simeon who "was righteous and devout, waiting for the consolation of Israel, and the Holy Spirit was upon him." [Luke 2:25]

Simeon was in the Temple when Mary and Joseph "brought in the child Jesus, to do for him according to the custom of the Law, he took him up in his arms and blessed God and said, "Lord, now you are letting your servant depart in peace, according to your word; for my eyes have seen your salvation that you have prepared in the presence of all peoples, a light for revelation to the Gentiles, and for glory to your people Israel." [Luke 2:27-32]

The complete fulfilment of Simeon's words is now surely near, but our thoughts – and meditation – are attracted most of all by Simeon's words to Mary, "Behold, this child is appointed for the fall and rising of many in Israel, and for a sign that is opposed … so that thoughts from many hearts may be revealed." [Luke 2:34-35]

The words of Jesus challenged the "thoughts" of human hearts then – and still does today. The ultimate fulfilment of Simeon's prophecy – will be when Jesus returns! Contemplate the nature of the "thoughts" that will "be revealed" in that day! How few will have "thoughts" that will be uplifted in welcoming wonderment! For some – including ourselves – those with a fully committed faith - it will bring joy far greater than we can presently imagine. 

-------

- DC

12 March 2017

Leviticus 20 

Psalms 119:129-176 

Luke 3  

"MY HEART STANDS IN AWE …"

"What shall we do?" was the question above was the question "the crowds asked" in our reading in Luke 3 today. You may recognise it as the same question the crowds asked Peter on the day of Pentecost, when Peter answered "Repent and be baptised." But we saw today that John the Baptist gave a different answer to those that were coming to him to be baptised! We read in Luke 3:10-11 of that answer!  

John had been giving them a stern message, he had even called them "You brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the wrath to come? Bear fruits in keeping with repentance …" [Luke 3:7-8]

So what answer did they get to their question? Luke 3:11 says, "And he answered them, whoever has two tunics is to share with him who has none, and whoever has food is to do likewise" They lived in a world of inequalities, the "haves" and the "have nots". Most, if not all of us, find it is the same today. How many have only two sets of clothes in this country? One of the most important things Jesus said was, as we will soon read in Luke 12:15, "be on your guard against all covetousness, for one's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions".

Today, getting the latest things on the market, getting more and more possessions is the main aim of people. John spoke as if having two of something was one too many – if there was someone with none! Attitudes were all wrong then, they are even more so today. 

We should not let these attitudes influence us – but they do! We are surrounded by those who are Godlless and as we complete reading Psalm 119 today we note the words, "Salvation is far from the wicked, for they do not seek your statutes" [Psalm 119:155]. There are only two paths, either FOR him or AGAINST him. David further writes, "I look at the faithless with disgust" [Psalm 119:158] 

But then the Psalmist becomes very positive, "my heart stands in awe of your words. I rejoice at your words like one who finds great spoil." [Psalm 119:161-162] Our heart needs to stop – and "stand in awe" and then "rejoice." But we can only rejoice if we have unreservedly accepted the teaching of his word – then we will experience the wonder of being a child of God, for "great peace have those who love your law; nothing can make them stumble … for all my ways are before you." [Psalm 119:165,168]

-------

- DC

13 March 2017

Leviticus 21 

Psalms 120; 121; 122; 123; 124 

Luke 4  

"MY HELP COMES FROM THE LORD"

Psalm 121 today begins with a question – and sometimes this is not recognised. The Psalmist is lifting up his eyes to the hills and asking, "from where does my help come?"

The pagan people around and all too often the Jewish people also, looked to high places where they felt they would be nearer to where their God's dwelt. When travelling in India you frequently see hill tops crowned with Hindu temples.

Psalm 121:2 verse answers the question, stating, "My help comes from the LORD who made heaven and earth." That is just as true today, but so few realise this. But what sort of help can seekers expect? Well this Psalm is the second of 5 short Psalms to be read today and they are all called "A SONG OF ASCENTS".

Among the Jews these and the ten Psalms which follow are generally understood to be the songs that were sung as they went up to Jerusalem to worship in the Temple. In some cases they would be coming from distant lands – remember the man from Ethiopia that Philip was sent by the Spirit to meet? "he had come to Jerusalem to worship and was returning" [Acts 8:27].

We recall Isaiah's vision! "It shall come to pass in the latter days that the mountain of the house of the LORD shall be established as the highest of the mountains … and many people shall come and say, let us go up to the mountain of the LORD" [isaiah 2:2-3]

So what did the pilgrims going up to Jerusalem sing about? Do these Psalms foreshadow at all the future going up to Jerusalem?

The first one [Psalm 120] is, "In my distress I cried to the LORD and he answered me. Deliver me O LORD, from lying lips, from a deceitful tongue" [Psalm 120:1-2] This illustrates the kind of help that was sought – and given - to genuine worshippers of God like David. It also shows the frame of mind of those who do not know God that those going up to  Jerusalem leave behind! 

Psalm 121 ends, "The LORD will keep your going out and your coming in from this time forth and for evermore." 

The Lord will watch over all the ways in which we travel, if we firmly believe our help comes from the Lord. This verse will find its complete fulfilment in our lives when Jesus returns and the kingdom is established and we are blessed to be there.

-------

- DC

14 March 2017

Leviticus 22 

Psalms 125; 126; 127 

Luke 5  

"WHEN HE SAW THEIR FAITH"

In Luke 5, we read today, there is a thought provoking account of a paralysed man that was brought to Jesus on a stretcher by his friends [Luke 5:18] When they could not get near to Jesus, who was in a house, and the crowd around him, seems to have included "scribes and Pharisees" [Luke 5:21] "they went up on the roof and let him down with his bed through the tiles into the midst before Jesus." [Luke 5:19] Jesus healed the man who "went home glorifying God." [Luke 5:25] 

It is a particular comment of Jesus that exercises our thoughts: Jesus performed the healing "when he saw their faith" [Luke 5:20]. This exercise of faith, especially when faced with difficulties – that is surely a lesson for us. How many overcome difficulties today – that threaten to hinder them from showing "their faith"? What great challenges there are in Islamic countries! But – what about totally godless, atheistic counties? Do you live in one? Does it stop you from showing your faith? I grew up and went to school in England during the war – it was a challenge, at that time to adults, who professed "faith"- to show it. 

When he (Jesus) sees (our) faith – or lack of it, as our world is falling apart, what will he think?  And even more importantly, when he "send(s) his angels, (to) gather together his elect" [Mark 13:27] - Â will that include us – because Jesus will "see" our faith? 

Later in Luke's gospel – in Luke 21 – Jesus speaks of the time (our time) when "the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled" and "Jerusalem" is no longer "trampled underfoot by Gentiles" - there will be "distress of nations in perplexity … people fainting with fear and with foreboding of what is coming on the world. For the powers of the heavens will be shaken …" [Luke 21:25-26] May Jesus "see our faith" at that time – and then we will be among "his elect" that are gathered see Mark 13:27.

A final quotation for us on this heart challenging matter – in Revelation 1:7 "Behold, he is coming with the clouds, and every eye will see him, even those who pierced him, and all tribes of the earth will wail …" 

But we will not – and Jesus will see our "faith."

-------

- DC

15 March 2017

Leviticus 23 

Psalms 128; 129; 130 

Luke 6 

"ALL NIGHT HE CONTINUED IN PRAYER"

Can we imagine continuing all night in prayer? This is what Jesus did – as we read today in Luke 6. Why did he, as the Son of God, find this necessary? And what was the result of his prayer? In Luke 6:12-13 we read, "In these days he went out to the mountain to pray, and all night he continued in prayer to God. And when day came, he called his disciples and chose from them twelve, whom he named apostles."

These were 12 particular men and they would have the task of spearheading God's message to the people – but the message was not simply about the coming kingdom – it was about how they were to follow in his footsteps: for he "came not to be served but to serve." [Mark 10:45] This is the opposite to how the Pharisees saw their role and we could ask questions (which would be unprofitable) about the way many churches operate today.

Luke 6:23 in our chapter puzzles some people! "Rejoice in that day, and leap for joy, for behold, your reward is great in heaven." What is "that day" when there will be rejoicing? Why is the "reward … in heaven"? Luke 6:35 also challenges us! "… love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return, and your reward will be great …" Where will the disciples be rewarded? The answer is in Matthew 19:28, they will "judging the twelve tribes of Israel."

Peter also unfolds the answer in his first letter. "According to his great mercy, he (God) has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you, who by God's power are being guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time." [1 Peter 1:3-5]

The "inheritance" is "kept in heaven" but believers do not go to heaven to receive it! Paul told the Thessalonians, "since we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so, through Jesus, God will bring with him those who have fallen asleep. For this we declare to you by a word from the Lord, that we who are alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will not precede those who have fallen asleep.  For the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a cry of command, with the voice of an archangel, and with the sound of the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first." [1 Thessalonians 4:14-16]

Let us "continue in prayer" – all night if necessary – so that we will be ready to hear "the cry of command" for surely we live "in the last time."

-------

- DC

16 March 2017

Leviticus 24 

Psalms 131; 132; 133; 134 

Luke 7  

"UNTIL I FIND A PLACE FOR  ..."

"Remember O LORD in David's favour, all the hardships he endured, how he swore to the LORD and vowed …" [Psalm 132:1-2] The prayer and petition in that Psalm has a very significant lesson for us.

What particular thing did David vow to do that he should be remembered for? Was it some great thing? He did many great things starting with the killing of Goliath - not counting the killing of the wild animals that sought to attack the sheep he was caring for. But his vow is not something that human nature sees as great – but which today's Psalm is a heartfelt plea about! The memory of this vow should be counted in his favour! Is it a vow we should consider making?

David vowed "I will not enter my house or get into my bed, I will not give sleep to my eyes or slumber to my eyelids, until I find a place for the LORD, a dwelling place for the Mighty One of Jacob" [Psalm 132:3-5].

David cannot mean he is going to build a literal temple for the Almighty. Nor can he mean the Tabernacle, for the LORD had had a dwelling place there for centuries. The answer is to be found in Isaiah 57, as well as other places. There we read "For thus says the One who is high and lifted up, who inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy; I dwell in the high and holy place, and also with him who is of a contrite and humble spirit" [isaiah 57:15]

So the dwelling place that David vowed to find for the LORD was in his own heart. To do that he had to mentally prostrate himself before the Lord! 

How to do that? We suggest a factor in this is getting your true imagination to try to comprehend God's immeasurable greatness. We remember what Paul told the Ephesians, "having the eyes of your hearts enlightened, that you may know … what is the immeasurable greatness of his power toward us who believe …" [Ephesians 1:9,18]

Remember how Jesus said, "If anyone loves me, he will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him" [John 14:23]. Our heart will become a Temple if we really carry out the first commandment to the full!  At the end of each day, we need to take stock, and restore any loss the day has brought to the Father's spiritual temple – and "find a place" in our heart before we "give sleep to (our) eyes …"

-------

- DC

17 March 2017

Leviticus 25 

Psalms 135; 136 

Luke 8  

"WHATEVER THE LORD PLEASES HE DOES"

This quotation from today's Psalm [Psalm 135:6] is a challenge to our perception of the ways of God, let's think about this. Today, at least in this country, the attitude is that you must let children do as they please! The reasoning is that parents must not stunt the development of their personality. We strongly suspect that the wild behaviour we have seen so much among young people these days is an outcome; so many do as they please. We pondered on this when we read, "whatever the LORD pleases he does in heaven and on earth, in the seas and all deeps" we do not perceive that God is in any way treating the earth like a toy – indeed the very opposite.

Psalm 135:8 refers to how he "struck down the firstborn of Egypt" and he "sent signs and wonders against Pharaoh" [Psalm 135:8-9] – so God is involved in life on earth even though the most important men, like Pharaoh, blindfold their minds to the fact. Our thoughts often run along these lines when we listen to the news. We were in California, U.S.A after a large earthquake there – and many were concerned that many new fault lines had been discovered. Earthquake proof tall buildings had swayed and one who worked high up in one said she started feeling a little seasick!

The phrase "in all deeps" in Psalm 135:6 arrested our attention. In the past what happened in the depths of the ocean did not seem to matter - those deeps are deeper than the earth's highest mountains. But we recall how, not that many years ago the mighty earthquake below the deep waters off Japan triggered that awesomely destructive tsunami; its effects stunned leaders and people around much of the world. 

The same Hebrew word, that is used for "deeps" occurs in Genesis 7:11 about the start of the flood when "all the fountains of the great deep burst forth." The world should be thankful that God has promised that "never again shall there be a flood to destroy all the earth." [Genesis 9:11] 

Today in the world there is increasing fear of the future. How spiritually challenging are the words we read in Psalm 112 - that "the righteous will never be moved … he is not afraid of bad news; his heart is firm trusting in the LORD. His heart is steady; he will not be afraid" [Psalm 112:6-8] even though he knows, "whatever the LORD pleases he does …" and we will read in Luke later this month awesome prophetic words how "the LORD pleases" to show his anger, as he did with Egypt long ago. May we, by His grace, develop the spirit of Moses now – to have hearts ready for the awesome wonder of that coming time.

-------

- DC

18 March 2017

Leviticus 26 

Psalms 137; 138; 139 

Luke 9  

"SEARCH ME O GOD AND KNOW ... AND LEAD ..." 

I remember searchlights as a boy. Beams of light would sweep across the sky from near where I lived. They were searching for enemy planes, if they found one they would lock on to it and the gunners would try to shoot it down. My wife Fran had gunners right near her house.

We were reminded of this by our reading of Psalm 139 today. "Oh LORD you have searched me and known me! You know when I sit down and when I rise up … you search out my path" [Psalm 139:1-3]. But David realizes that God's power to "see" extends far beyond what we do physically. We read, "you discern my thoughts from afar even before a word is on my tongue …" [Psalm 139:4]

In the language young people use today, they would describe as "awesome" the thought that God knows our thoughts before we even put them into words. That really is a searchlight on the mind. We cannot limit the meaning to David personally.

But there is even more than this in what he writes, a wonderful inspiration by God! We read, "For you formed my inward parts, you knitted me together in my mother's womb. I praise you for I am fearfully and wonderfully made … your eyes saw my unformed substance ..." [Psalm 139:13,14,16].

Today, clever men have unravelled some of the secrets of DNA and the human genome. David was inspired to write 3,000 years ago of his "unformed substance", i.e. DNA. 

Finally, the word "SEARCH" occurs again at the climax of the Psalm, "Search me O God, and know my heart, try me and know my thoughts … and lead me in the way everlasting." [Psalm 139:23-24] Would I, would you, want to sense God's searchlight on your thoughts? If the answer is "No" – then should it not also be "No" to the question as to whether we want to be led by God in the way everlasting? 

-------

- DC

19 March 2017

Leviticus 27 

Psalms 140; 141; 142 

Luke 10  

"WHOEVER IS NOT WITH ME …"

Jesus spoke in parables, stories that were not necessarily factual because their purpose was to drive home some principle about the spiritual meaning of life. In Luke 10 we encounter some one word parables and phrases that are so obviously not literal. He did many miracles in Capernaum and other cities. He challenges, "If the mighty works done in you had been done in Tyre and Sidon they would have repented long ago ..." [Luke 10:13] 

Capernaum had been the scene of many miracles, but it did not spark a spirit of repentance! They pursued Christ for more mass feeding on loaves and fishes – and the Master lamented, when they found him on the other side of the lake, "you are seeking me not because you saw the signs, but because you ate the fill of the loaves." [John 6:26] This attitude leads Jesus to say, "… you Capernaum, will you be exalted to heaven? You shall be brought down to Hades" [Luke 10:15] 

The city experienced seeing heavenly powers which it failed to react to. Its reward for this failure would be by going "down to Hades" That's "Hell" in the old A.V. Bible, the grave, in many modern versions. And Capernaum did die – for 1500 years - until archaeologists uncovered its ruins; but it was still a dead city.

In Luke 12 we read how Jesus makes a significant point, "Everyone to whom much was given, of him much will be required." [Luke 12:48] The people of Capernaum failed on this important principle, much awareness was provided to them. Can we fail in this way today? The whole world around us has failed, the wonders of creation have never been so evident.

Jesus' disciples are sent out on a successful preaching and healing mission and when they return Jesus says, "I saw Satan like lightning fall from heaven"  [Luke 10:18]. Obviously this not be understood literally! We have seen the symbolic meaning of heaven! It means that the enemies of Jesus, those seeking his destruction, were "disarmed" by the demonstrations of heaven's power and lost their position as heaven's representatives. 

We see in Luke 11 how Jesus ridicules their attempts to deny the heavenly powers of Jesus [Luke 11:15-23], he ends by saying, "Whoever is not with me is against me ..." We cannot take a neutral position when it comes to our personal relationship with Jesus. We must remember that! Are we against him – or for him – and therefore "with" him?

-------

- DC

20 March 2017

Numbers 1 

Psalms 143; 144 

Luke 11  

"ONE'S LIFE DOES NOT CONSIST IN …" 

Today's chapter in Luke [Luke 12] contains some of the most challenging teaching of Jesus – it is as appropriate today as it was then! A crowd surrounded him and "Someone in the crowd said to him, "Teacher, tell my brother to divide the inheritance with me." [Luke 12:13] And that is what people are interested in today – present possessions – and nearly everyone spends mu much of their time planning to accumulate as much as they can – and find ways to enjoy it.

We take in and meditate on the way Jesus replied to this man,"Take care, and be on your guard against all covetousness, for one's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions." [Luke 12:15]

Jesus then tells a parable about a man whose land produced plentiful crops "and he thought to himself, 'What shall I do, for I have nowhere to store my crops?'" [Luke 12:17] He had no thought of sharing with the poor, but instead, "said to himself,  'I will do this: I will tear down my barns and build larger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods.'" [Luke 12:18] and he looked forward to having "many years" in which to "relax, eat, drink, (and) be merry." [Luke 12:19]. This parable reminds us of the concentrated effort of many today to seek out the best retirement funds!  

But what does "God say him, "'Fool! This night your soul is required of you, and the things you have prepared, whose will they be? So is the one who lays up treasure for himself and is not rich toward God.'" [Luke 12:20-21]

Paul takes up this principle in his first letter to Timothy and tells him, "As for the rich in this present age, charge them not to … set their hopes on the uncertainty of riches, but on God … They are to do good, to be rich in good works … thus storing up treasure for themselves as a good foundation for the future …" and to "take hold of that which is truly life." [1 Timothy 6:17-19] 

Let us read God's word every day – and then we will fully know what one's life does … consist of – and this will, Jesus said, "in the age to come" lead to "eternal life." [Luke 18:30]

-------

- DC

21 March 2017 

Numbers 2 

Psalms 145; 146; 147 

Luke 12  

"TO ALL WHO CALL UPON HIM IN TRUTH"

We are sad we are nearly at the end of the Psalms, we complete them in just 11 weeks, a pity. The Psalms for today are special. Much of Psalm 145 appears to be designed to be sung when God's Kingdom is established on earth: it had its initial use during the glories of Solomon's kingdom.

We sing to God of a time when "every day I will bless you and praise your name forever and ever" [Psalm 145:2] "On the glorious splendour of your majesty and on your wondrous works, I will meditate. They shall speak of the might of your awesome deeds ... they shall pour forth the fame of your abundant goodness and shall sing aloud …" [Psalm 145:5-7]

David continues "all your saints shall bless you! They shall speak of the glory of your kingdom and tell of your power to make known to the children of men your mighty deeds and the glorious splendour … your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom." [Psalm 145:10-13]. 

Well Solomon's was not everlasting and his natural son dismally failed to maintain its fame among the nations. It needs the return of the Lord Jesus as king of the world to complete this fulfilment.

The next words that are sung are personal: "the LORD is near to all who call upon him, to all who call upon him in truth" [Psalm 145:18]. The LORD seeks those who approach him with a true heart, who show that "truth" by the way they live – which the religious leaders in the time of Jesus failed to do. Psalm 146 gives us an example of a truth, which many today do not want to believe, especially when someone has just died. 

"Put not your trust in … man in whom there is no salvation; when his breath departs he returns to the earth; in that very day his plans (thoughts, ambitions) perish." [Psalm 146:3-4].

Is this a difficult truth to face? But while death is a ceasing of our mind and body we notice how David is very positive about his hope beyond the grave, "as for me," he prays to God, "I shall behold your face in righteousness; when I awake, I shall be satisfied with your likeness." [Psalm 17:15]. Or, as God tells Isaiah, "Your dead shall live, their bodies shall rise. You who dwell in the dust, awake and sing for joy" [isaiah 26:19]. As we call upon God and sing of the glories of the coming kingdom we can rejoice in this truth.

-------

- DC

22 March 2017

Numbers 3 

Psalms 148; 149; 150 

Luke 13; 14  

"WERE WORSE SINNERS ... BECAUSE THEY SUFFERED IN THIS WAY?"

In reading Luke 13 today we pondered the challenging conversation Jesus had with "some present" about the cause of recent tragedies. Jesus challenged the conclusions some had drawn about the cause of these events? In particular, he asked, when a tower fell down and killed 18 people was because they "were worse sinners than all the other Galileans, because they suffered in this way?" [Luke 13:2]  

Jesus answers his own question, "No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish" [Luke 13:3].  

We have seen some terrible events in recent years: there have been many extreme weather events causing fires and floods, also awesome earthquakes and tsunami's leading to much damage and loss of life. We have also seen in past the use of human inventions of greatly destructive power used to destroy other humans in great numbers – and tragedies of plane crashes – some with many passengers. 

Now atheists have scoffingly said over the years that if there really is a loving God he would do something to stop such tragedies. This is the cynicism of the scoffer who is devoid of understanding the nature of the God revealed in the Bible. The comment of Jesus we read today is significant: "do you think that they were worse offenders than all the others who lived in Jerusalem? No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish." [Luke 13:5]

Most did not repent and Jerusalem and its Temple were destroyed 40 years later. History was repeating itself from more than 600 years before. At that time Ezekiel had written, "Repent and turn away from all your transgressions lest your iniquity be your ruin … make yourselves a new heart and a new spirit! … I have no pleasure in the death of anyone, declares the Lord GOD; so turn and live." [Ezekiel 18:30-32] 

The message is the same today! Indeed it is more urgent today than ever before as it is increasingly clear to diligent Bible readers we are reaching the climax of human history. 

How long before that climax is reached we do not know, but there is to "be a time of trouble such as has never been … and none of the wicked shall understand, but those who are wise shall understand" [Daniel 12:1,10].  

God's word is the only source of that wisdom, let us be among the "wise" who "understand." The time left to "make yourselves a new heart and a new spirit" is nearly over.

-------

- DC

23 March 2017

Numbers 4 

Proverbs 1 

Luke 15  

"LET THE WISE HEAR AND INCREASE IN …"

"Today we started reading the proverbs of Solomon and the opening chapters in particular, are really heart challenging. "Let the wise hear and increase in learning, and the one who understands obtain guidance, to understand a proverb and a saying, the words of the wise and their riddles. The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge …" [Proverbs 1:5-7]. Solomon then observes that "fools despise wisdom and instruction."  

Nearly all today would be horrified to realise that God sees them as "fools" because they despise the reality of God's existence and the "wisdom and instruction" in his word, preferring instead the "wisdom" (!?) of TV and videos and modern "action" novels that include descriptions of godless ways of living. 

Solomon says, "Hear, my son, your father's instruction, and forsake not your mother's teaching, for they are a graceful garland for your head" [Proverbs 1:8-9] "A graceful garland"! Poetic words that describe healthy thinking. The result for us today are healthy ways of thinking and acting.

Then, from Proverbs 1:10, Solomon has wise words of warning that are particularly necessary today. "My son, if sinners entice you, do not consent. If they say, "Come with us, let us lie in wait for … the innocent …" [Proverbs 1:10-11]  

The challenge to us is that our world is largely full of those who do not believe in God: they live by their own standards – which are not necessarily bad – but few give any thought or time to "hear and increase in learning" about their Creator and His Son, - who seeks to be their Saviour. Does this spirit rub off on us? Does it lessen our desire to be "wise … and increase in" the knowledge of God? Let us make sure we are among "the wise."

-------

- DC

24 March 2017

Numbers 5 

Proverbs 2 

Luke 16 

"ONE WHO IS DISHONEST IN VERY LITTLE"

Honesty seems to be an increasingly rare commodity in the 21st Century. Cheating the Government at least a little is a common practice. There is surprise when one hands back money when you have been given too much change when making a purchase! 

We read today a parable Jesus told about a manager who worked for a rich man, this manager was doing his job poorly and "wasting his possessions" [Luke 16:1]  

This man had his mind fully set on this life and learning he was going to lose his job he "summoned his master's debtors one by one" [Luke 16:5]. He comes to an arrangement with them to reduce the records about how much they owe his Master: this will obligate them to give him some support when he loses his job.

The rich man commends "the dishonest manager for his shrewdness" saying, "for the sons of this world are more shrewd in their dealing with their own generation than the sons of light" [Luke 16:8]. This appears to be a cynical statement and is followed by a strange statement, "And I tell you make friends for yourselves by means of unrighteous wealth, so that when it fails they may receive you into eternal dwellings." [Luke 16:8-9] 

The point Jesus is making is that the "eternal dwellings" of the unrighteous are tombs and some elaborate tombs have been found by archaeologists, including tombs of the High Priests family which are miniature replicas of the Temple. This is the only future they can expect because they have made money (and the things it can buy) their objective in life. 

We specially note Jesus' words, "One who is dishonest in very little is also dishonest in much. If you have not been faithful in the unrighteous wealth, who will entrust to you the true riches?" [Luke 16:11] 

His final point is "You cannot serve God and money." [Luke 16:13]. "The Pharisees, who were lovers of money heard all these things and they ridiculed him. And he said to them, 'You are those who justify yourselves before men, but God knows your hearts.'" [Luke 16:14-15] They were blind to the all-seeing eyes of God. We must not be blind and we must also be honest and true in our thinking - in much more than money, absorbing the true impact of Jesus words about the "one who is dishonest in very little"

-------

- DC

25 March 2017

Numbers 6 

Proverbs 3 

Luke 17  

"PAY ATTENTION TO YOURSELVES"

Luke 17 starts with Jesus telling his disciples - "Temptations to sin are sure to come, but woe to the one through whom they come!" Are we a means by which others may be tempted? A great deal (as far as we can gather) of what is on TV portrays ungodliness ­ and is therefore a temptation, (mainly subconsciously) to emulate godless ways! Let us hear Jesus speaking to us and saying "Pay attention to yourselves!"

We must "pay attention" to what we do, where we go, what we watch and what we read! What example do we set others? This applies most of all ­ to our example to the younger generation! 

A different line of thought opens out for us from Luke 17:20: we read with great interest what Jesus said when he was "asked by the Pharisees when the kingdom of God would come." Jesus spoke of those who would say, "'Look, there!' or 'Look, here!' Do not go out or follow them." [Luke 17:23]. It will not be a matter of constantly looking is case you (we) miss seeing the king of the kingdom coming! We must, more than ever "Pay attention to (y)ourselves!"

The next verse is awesome! "For as the lightning flashes and lights up the sky from one side to the other, so will the Son of Man be in his day."  

We are in awe of the comparison that our Lord then made with Lot's experience - "just as it was in the days of Lot, they were eating and drinking, buying and selling, planting and building, but on the day when Lot went out from Sodom, fire and sulfur rained from heaven and destroyed them all­so will it be on the day when the Son of Man is revealed." [Luke 17:29-30] Is that a literal 24 hour day? It was for Lot! 

The verses which follow make it clear it is all going to happen quickly. Do we enjoy and "love" the life we are now living? Are we planning for more and more interesting experiences? Let us hear Jesus telling us to "pay attention to yourselves". Finally, ponder the words of Jesus ­ that John quoted in his gospel. "Whoever loves his life loses it, and whoever hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life". If anyone serves me, the Father will honour him." [John 12:25-26]

-------

- DC