TFTBR - December 2016

Resource Manager

01 December 2016

Esther 9; 10

Jonah 1

Hebrews 6; 7  

“HE IS ABLE TO SAVE TO THE UTTERMOST”

Our chapter in Hebrews [Hebrews 7] highlights, the historic role of Melchizedek who is described as “priest of the Most High God” to whom “Abraham apportioned a tenth part of everything.” (Hebrews 7:1-2; see Genesis 22:17) He is described as “resembling the Son of God he continues a priest forever. [Hebrews 7:3]

The chapter proceeds to describe how Jesus is comparable to Melchizedek – and not the priests of “the Levitical priesthood.” [Hebrews 7:11]. Psalm 110:4 is quoted in Hebrews 7:17, declaring that Jesus would be “a priest forever, after the order of Melchizedek." [Hebrews 7:20]. We are invited to recognise that “the law made nothing perfect” [Hebrews 7:19], so old commandment was being “set aside because of its weakness and uselessness” [Hebrews 7:18] and a new order was being introduced. The writer (Paul?) was stressing this to his Jewish (Hebrew) readers, this was vital for them to understand.

Jesus “holds his priesthood permanently, because he continues forever.” [Hebrews 7:24] Because of this, “he is able to save to the uttermost those who draw near to God through him, since he always lives to make intercession for them.” [Hebrews 7:25].

Christian’ organisations which set up systems of ‘priests’ are blind to what God’s word is revealing here. All those who fully accept and believe God’s word learn to “draw near to God through” Jesus for “he is able to save to the uttermost.” We must meditate on the wonder and reality of this! Then, one day, how soon (?) the “Son who has been made perfect forever” will make those who fully believe and trust in him “perfect forever.” [Hebrews 7:28]

-------

- DC

02 December 2016

Job 1; 2

Jonah 2; 3

Hebrews 8; 9  

“SHALL WE NOT RECEIVE EVIL?"

All 3 readings today give us a mass of things to think about ­ some deep thinking is involved. Job’s reaction to his wife’s suggestion that he should curse God and die [Job 2:9-10]. His reaction reveals a very valuable principle, “shall we receive good from God, and shall we not receive evil?”

Do we expect all life to be smooth and plain sailing - after we decide to serve God? The Bible is full of examples that this is not the case. As one example, look at David’s misfortunes after he had slain Goliath! Learning to live in times of trouble is often a learning curve in building up our character.

We read that “the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD and Satan (the ESV has a footnote that the Hebrew word means the adversary) also came among them” [Job 1:6] It is comparable to the 12 disciples of Jesus and one of them is called a devil [John 6:70].

We considered the phrase “to present themselves before the LORD”. Now we do this every Sunday when we present ourselves at our place of worship ­ and the Lord sees the nature of all the hearts assembled there, he does more than hear our words. So we can, we suggest, see this incident as God knowing what a man who is envious of Job, is thinking as they gather together, probably before an altar to offer sacrifice.

So in one sense we can see this account about the life of Job as a “play” on the thinking in the minds of those involved. Another point, although Job was “blameless and upright” [Job 1:1] there was an element in his character that was lacking. He admits [Job 3:25] “the thing that I fear comes upon me and what I dread befalls me”. Job did not have, at this stage, “the full assurance of faith” as we will read in Hebrews tomorrow. [Hebrews 10:22] When we come to read the end of Job, at the end of December, we will see the outworking of all this with his wonderful profession of what he now “sees.” We must draw lessons from this for ourselves.

-------

- DC

03 December 2016

Job 3; 4

Jonah 4

Hebrews 10  

"YOU HAVE NEED OF …"

Is there anyone who thinks they do not need anything? With Christmas in 3 weeks’ time, the younger ones’ especially will think of the things they need and that it would be good to get!

Our readings today in Hebrews say, “For you have need of endurance, so that when you have done the will of God you may receive what is promised.” [Hebrews 10:36] Endurance!

We live in a world, at least in this country, that is very impatient. It is said, this is the ‘NOW’ generation. Until recently it was easy (and still is to some extent) to get what you want ‘NOW’ – and pay later. The folly of this attitude has become apparent in the problems some experience..

But the Letter to Hebrews also tells us, “do not throw away your confidence which has great reward” [Hebrews 10:35]. You throw or give away the things you do not need! But confidence!? If we have that – that is confidence in God’s oversight in all that has happened – and confidence in the future of which he also has oversight and can intervene as he chooses.

We saw lessons on this in our readings in Job and Jonah, both men had, at least temporarily, lost sight of the will of God in their lives: but if we have committed ourselves to be children of God and live for him in faith – we will keep seeking to see more clearly that God is in overall control, and then we will realize more of His purpose in the things he allows (or causes) to happen in the world and in our lives.

Look at how our Hebrews chapter ends; “my righteous one shall (aim to) live by faith, and if he shrinks back, my soul has no pleasure in him (or her). But we are not of those who shrink back and are destroyed, but of those who have faith and preserve their souls.” [Hebrews 10:38-39]

This reminds us of the words of Jesus himself, “the one who endures to the end will be saved. And this gospel of the kingdom will be proclaimed throughout the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.” [Matthew 24:13-14] It seems to be at last true that all nations have had the chance to hear the gospel, and we all have need of endurance - until the end - in this godless world, and how soon now?

-------

- DC

04 December 2016

Job 5

Micah 1

Hebrews 11  

"EVENTS AS YET UNSEEN"

“Faith is … the conviction of things not seen” is how Hebrews 11 starts. It is a familiar chapter to all regular Bible readers; it selects examples of men and women who have lived by faith, it praises them for this. They lived with a God given vision of “events as yet unseen.”

Certain things in the immediate future we can be nearly certain of – that there will be another day tomorrow. We are maybe planning for the Christmas holidays with reasonable confidence! Nevertheless we will read later this week the words of James, “you who say … tomorrow we will go into such and such a town … yet you do not know what tomorrow will bring. What is your life?” [James 4:13-14]

Yes, what is your life – unless you live by faith! Today’s list of faithful men and women tells us “these all died in faith” [Hebrews 11:13] “so that they might rise again to a better life” [Hebrews 11:35]. 

They lived with “the conviction of things unseen” [Hebrews 11:1]. We specially noted, as appropriate to the circumstances in which we live, verse 7 – we read that “by faith Noah being warned by God of events as yet unseen, in reverent fear constructed an ark” We are not asked to construct an ark, but Noah did not just do that. 

Next week we will read that Noah was “a preacher (or herald) of righteousness” [2 Peter 2:5]. Let us note those lives of faith we are in a position to emulate.

God’s word warns of “events as yet unseen” that are to come on our world. The question we must each face is whether we have real faith in God’s promises for the future, for this time of momentous crisis is surely almost upon us and will test the quality of our faith. We show our faith by how we act – as we will read in James shortly, see James 2:14-26. 

Remember Christ’s parable about those who will say to him on that day, “you taught in our streets” and “knock at the door” but “he will answer, ‘I do not know where you come from.’ [Luke 13:25-27] Those with genuine faith are establishing a relationship with Jesus now.

-------

- DC

05 December 2016

Job 6; 7

Micah 2

Hebrews 12  

“SO GREAT A CLOUD OF WITNESSES”

We read yesterday in Hebrews 11 of the men and women of faith who “pleased God” [Hebrews 11:5] The list started with Abel and included worthies such as Abraham, Moses, Samuel and David who “though commended through their faith, did not receive what was promised” [Hebrews 11:39]

This leads into today’s chapter, Hebrews 12, which starts – “Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of (these) witnesses …”- who effectively served God and not themselves, “let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us …”

The “witnesses” listed in Hebrews 11 are examples to us in overcoming the various challenges of life that confront us today. But we have an additional benefit, for we have the greatest “witness” of all! The next verse says we should and must be “looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith”

And what ‘inspired’ Jesus to accomplish such a ‘perfect’ faith? It was because of “the joy that was set before him (that he) endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.”

Think of what is “set before” us! We do not have to endure a literal “cross”! Recall what we read last week in Paul’s letter to Titus - that we are “waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of … Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people for his own possession who are zealous for good works.” [Titus 2:13-14].

Let us really feel that purifying at work in us as we read and absorb God’s word each day and put it into practice.

God’s word opens up to our thoughts “so great a cloud of witnesses” in both the Old and New Testaments; examples for us to follow, “who are zealous for good works” striving to complete “the race that is set before us” – even more so as the finishing line looks to be so very close! Finally we note how today’s chapter in Hebrews ends! “… let us offer to God acceptable worship, with reverence and awe, for our God is a consuming fire.”

-------

- DC

06 December 2016

Job 8

Micah 3; 4

Hebrews 13  

"SO WE CAN CONFIDENTLY SAY ..."

How many can speak with confidence these days? Certainly the Politicians can’t! Although they often try to sound that way! We read the last chapter of Hebrews today where Paul is emphasising to them the need to be positive in their attitude to the spiritual aspects of life. His first 4 words are, “Let brotherly love continue” [Hebrews 13:1]

That surely includes sisterly love too! It means love in a practical sense, not just words. John wrote, “let us not love in word or talk but in deed and in truth,” [1 John 3:18]. There is a saying, ‘actions speak louder than words.’

Paul then says, “Remember those who are in prison, as those who are in prison with them, and those who are mistreated, since you also are in the body.” (of Christ) [Hebrews 13:3] As this world falls apart and becomes more dysfunctional these words will have more frequent application. A few years ago robbers with guns broke into a home where brethren hold their meetings and some lived and, as well as stealing money and valuables, they sprayed bullets around injuring a father and 3 sons, one seriously. Other members rallied around to help, giving their blood for transfusions.

This happened in Pakistan, but the potential for similar incidents to happen in more and more countries is increasing as this world becomes increasingly ungodly. Now let’s look at Hebrews 13:5-6. “Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, ‘I will never leave you or forsake you.’ So we can confidently say, ‘The Lord is my helper, I will not fear; what can man do to me?’ ”

Where did he say this? Those words are from the prophet Haggai, giving a message to those living in difficult circumstances; we will read his message in a couple of weeks. Those who only read the New Testament are missing much powerful encouragement from their God.

Today’s chapter in Micah is a good example; it starts, “It shall come to pass in the latter days … nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war anymore.” [Micah 4:1,5] This is a description of God’s kingdom when it is fully functioning, those alive then will say, “Come let us go up to the mountain of the LORD … that he may teach us his ways and that we may walk in his paths” [Micah 4:2]

Let us live today – and every day – so that we can, by faith, confidently say – we will be there.

-------

- DC

07 December 2016

Job 9

Micah 5

James 1  

“THE TESTING OF YOUR FAITH PRODUCES …”

As we near the end of 2016, most of us live in circumstances that are increasingly testing our faith – and we “meet trials of various kinds” [James 1:2] James in his letter, which we started reading today, shows life was no different, in the sense of creating “trials” for the genuine followers of Christ – in those days – than it is today. James tells us what “the testing of (y)our faith” should be producing!

Let us examine ourselves to see if this is true for us in our lives today – whether the “testing of our faith ”produces steadfastness” and then, says James, we must “let steadfastness have its full effect, that (we) may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.” [James 1:4] Let us have this aim!

Nearly all of us are surrounded daily by worldly “wisdom” – but we know the kind of “wisdom” we should be developing: let us make sure we are developing it. James says, “If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him.“ (or her) [James 1:5] But then, James adds a vital qualification! “But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind.” [James 1:6]

The “winds” of human attitudes and thoughts surround us on every side –the Internet and TV are a particular source of these winds.. They can surround us – mentally – like “a wave of the sea”! If we allow that to constantly happen, James says. “that person must not suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord” [James 1:7]

So let us make sure that the “testing of our faith produces steadfastness” and then we will increasingly experience “its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.”

-------

- DC

08 December 2016

Job 10

Micah 6

James 2  

"I WILL SPEAK IN THE BITTERNESS OF MY SOUL"

Depression is an illness today that is difficult to cure, sometimes it is impossible. Some “cures” are as bad as the complaint! If anyone had cause for feeling depressed it was Job. He speaks “in the bitterness of my soul” and says, “I loathe my life” [Job 10:1] Job is extremely depressed, the words of his friends have not helped at all. When we come to Job 16 we will see he calls them “miserable comforters.” 

The minds of his 'friends' are locked into the conviction that Job is suffering terribly because he has sinned badly and, they believe, he needs to confess these sins to God. And of course we need to confess our sins, whether great or small, to God – we cannot pull the wool over God’s eyes, although we might do that with our friends, or try to.

However Job had a weapon which most of those suffering today from depression do not have. He believed in God and he sought more and more earnestly to have meaningful contact with God and that is why this book of the Bible is so valuable to get one’s mind around. 

What is remarkable about today’s chapter [Job 10] is that Job gives up talking to his “friends” and starts talking to God. 

He says, “although you know that I am not guilty and there is none to deliver out of your hand? … you have granted me life and steadfast love and your care has preserved my spirit” [Job 10:7,12] He is reflecting on his experiences of life, but these experiences have been overwhelmed by what has happened which at this stage he cannot understand. 

Yet we shall see, as we read succeeding chapters that his thoughts go on a journey of increasing conviction of the future before him. It may well be that previously he was thinking too much of the present – even fearing that trouble could come upon him. (see Job 3:25) 

Soon we will see he reaches the stage of saying, “I know that my redeemer lives” and that the time will come when “in my flesh I shall see God, whom I shall see for myself and my eyes shall behold” [Job 19:25-27] The calamities that have happened to him make him think extremely deeply as to what he knows in his innermost being about the meaning of life. The end result of such deep thinking is he discovers more fully the truth about the ways of God. If things go badly wrong in your life, what do you do? Or will you do? The example of Job, shows us how to contend with and overcome any "bitterness."

-------

- DC

09 December 2016

Job 11

Micah 7

James 3; 4  

“A HARVEST OF RIGHTEOUSNESS IS SOWN”

We should each ask ourselves – what am I sowing in all the ways I live my life? What ongoing affect is what I say – and do – and write (email) having on others – day after day after day? Never before have we each been able to so abundantly communicate with others, day after day, indeed, hour after hour! Do we encourage each other with meaningful messages? Our aim must be to reap “a harvest of righteousness” – as we read today in James 3:18.

The words of James in his short but powerful epistle are very thought provoking, and it is good to be stirred up by these questions as we near the end of another year. What have we done this year, what have we really achieved? The most potent question of all is - ‘What have I achieved - in the eternal sense?

This is the sense in ‘sowing’ for an eternal “harvest”? It is fairly clear that James was writing in the final years of his life – and that of Jerusalem! He tells the believers there to “purify your hearts.” Pointedly he tells them, but words which have a great promise to us as well, to “humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will exalt you.” [James 4:10] To “draw near to God, and he will draw near to you.” [James 4:8]

The need to do this has never been greater – the world that surrounds us – threatens to suffocate us – mentally – and reading and absorbing God’s word is the only antidote! Not just reading! We should feel inspired to do this especially because of the wonderful “harvest” has been promised. This “harvest” James tells us, “is sown in peace by those who make peace.” see the last verse of James 3.

James 4 starts by describing all the opposite things that are sown. These things surround us – and threaten to influence us every day! So we need to read and meditate on God’s word every day to make sure we will have (and how soon now?) “a harvest of righteousness.”

-------

- DC

10 December 2016

Job 12

Nahum 1; 2

James 5  

“THE LAST DAYS”

Today we completed reading the letter of James; it is full of interesting and, at times, challenging thoughts. He is the leader of the Jerusalem church that you read about in Acts 15:13 – and probably the half brother of Jesus. As the chief spokesman for the believers at Jerusalem not long before the city was encircled and finally destroyed by the Roman armies in AD 67-70, his comments in his final chapter are mainly directed at the situation that had developed there. This is 30 years after the church had been established around 30 AD. There is fairly conclusive evidence that James was martyred in A.D.62.

So James is writing to warn them of their approaching last days and he says, “weep and howl for the miseries that are coming upon you, your riches have rotted … You have laid up treasure in the last days … you have lived on the earth in luxury and self-indulgence.” [James 5:1-3,5] This is so true of today in Australia.

Remember how, when we read 2 Timothy 3 a few weeks ago, we saw the reference to conditions in the last days [2 Timothy 3:1] and saw, flowing on from the previous chapter a description of the spiritual condition of believers! They had only “a form of godliness” – this is so parallel to the situation James is facing.

Back in James we see how he then makes the vital point, “Be patient (steadfast) therefore brothers until the coming of the Lord … establish your hearts … the judge is standing at the door” [James 5:7-8]

These words apply so much to the world today as we live in the end of the times of the Gentiles (non-Jews). The total godlessness around us is as much a sign to us of the nearing “end” as we see news of the continuing crisis in the Middle East especially in the nations north of God’s Holy Land.

“Behold, we consider those blessed who remain steadfast. You have heard of the steadfastness of Job” [James 5:11]. So, as we read Job for the rest of this month, we should remember how James sees him as an example; may Job be an example to us also in these "last days."

-------

- DC

11 December 2016

Job 13

Nahum 3

1 Peter 1

"THE FEET OF HIM, WHO BRINGS GOOD NEWS, WHO PUBLISHES PEACE"

The above 2 words are the last words in the short prophecy of Nahum we read this morning. His 3 chapters are “an oracle concerning Nineveh” [Nahum 1:1]. You will remember that Jonah reluctantly went there, but they responded to his preaching of warning that in “40 days” they would be destroyed because of their wickedness, but later they failed to maintain their repentance.

We know very little of Nahum, but his knowledge of Nineveh leads us to think he was probably one of those taken there when they overthrew the northern kingdom. He writes out this vision he has from God of his coming judgements on Nineveh.

These were greater because they had known the ways of God, just as later happened to Babylon for the same reason. Nahum writes that “the LORD is a jealous and avenging God” [Nahum 1:2]. Nahum describes Nineveh as a city of blood [Nahum 3:1] “and I will make nations look at your nakedness … I will throw filth at you and treat you with contempt … and say, wasted is Nineveh” [Nahum 3:5-7] culminating in his final words about the “unceasing evil” there.

The history of the world over the last 2,000 years is rather like Nineveh. It at first repented and turned from idols to serve the living God and accept the message of Christ, a message that came to dominant human thought in the first 3 centuries. Nahum says, “The LORD is slow to anger and great in power” but, “will by no means clear the guilty” [Nahum 1:3] That has been the experience of Christianity, and for nearly 2,000 years he has been slow to anger, but now, what “faith” is left in the earth? Jesus questioned whether there would be any! [Luke 18:8]

Finally, Nahum also received a more distant vision. He wrote “Behold, upon the mountains, the feet of him (Jesus and his followers) who bring good news, who publishes peace! Keep your feasts O Judah; fulfil your vows, for never again shall the worthless pass through you” [Nahum 1:15]. When these days of “unceasing evil” finally bring God’s judgements, then those who look for hope in God’s word will have their belief and faith rewarded at that time, including the Jews who turn to Jesus and welcome their returning Saviour.

-------

- DC

12 December 2016

Job 14

Habakkuk 1

1 Peter 2 

“THAT BY IT YOU MAY GROW UP INTO SALVATION”

We meditate thoughtfully on Peter’s 1st letter: he was writing to the “elect exiles of the Dispersion” [1 Peter 1:1] – primarily Jews – as James [James 1:1] had also done “To the twelve tribes in the Dispersion.” [James 1:1] Peter names them as being in “Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia” – and Paul visited some of these places, and he usually began by teaching in the synagogue, e.g. Acts 17:17; 18:4.

Today we saw how Peter’s message to his fellow Jews was largely about how they must live - ways which were to be in contrast to that of the Jews who had opposed and crucified Jesus. Peter told them to “put away all malice and all deceit and hypocrisy and envy and all slander” [1 Peter 2:1] and - “like newborn infants, long for the pure spiritual milk, that by it you may grow up into salvation ­ if indeed you have tasted that the Lord is good.“ [1 Peter 2:2-3]

Interesting, indeed, challenging, is this word – “tasted”! It implies the contrast between ‘head knowledge and ‘heart knowledge.’ We ponder the points Solomon makes in his Proverbs on this “for wisdom will come into your heart”, see Proverbs 2:10; 15:14; 22:17. Let us reflect on the degree to which we have been through the stage of being “newborn infants’ – spiritually.

Peter tells his fellow Jews, who are now believers, “this is the will of God, that by doing good you should put to silence the ignorance of foolish people. Live as people who are free, not using your freedom as a cover-up for evil, but living as servants of God.” [1 Peter 2:15-16] Peter is giving practical details on how to “grow up into salvation” and show, in doing so, that “now you are God's people; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.” [1 Peter 2:10]

Let us “grow up into salvation” becoming more and more grown up spiritually, ready for our Lord’s return when he will “gather his elect” [Matthew 24:31] for God’s “fig tree” [Matthew 24:32] shows us “that summer is near” and “this generation will not pass away until all these things take place.” [Matthew 24:34] There may not be much time left to complete our “growing up.”

-------

- DC

13 December 2016

Job 15;

Habakkuk 2;

1 Peter 3; 4; 5 

"WHOEVER DESIRES TO LOVE LIFE AND SEE GOOD DAYS …”

Surely we all desire to experience goods days, to love and enjoy life. Well then, let us specially notice Peter’s advice that we read in his letter today – for his next words, to those above, are “let him (or her) keep his tongue from evil and his lips from speaking deceit; let him turn away from evil and do good; let him seek peace and pursue it.” [1 Peter 3:10-11]

It is not just seeking – it is pursuing – remembering, as Peter next writes, “for the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous, and his ears are open to their prayer. But the face of the Lord is against those who do evil.” [1 Peter 3:12]

Just two classes of people! Nothing in between! The increasing selfish self-centredness in the world today we might not class as evil – but it is a way of life that leaves God totally out of the picture? There are also those who only like to have “a form of godliness” but Paul advises Timothy to “avoid such people” [2 Timothy 3:5]. This is not being self righteous; this is recognizing there are, only two pathways to choose from. We must see the situation as God does.

Those who choose God’s pathway, Peter further says, have “ceased from sin, so as to live the rest of the time … no longer for human passions but for the will of God” instead of “living in sensuality, passions …” [1 Peter 4:2-3].

We had our thoughts further provoked by his next words about those who follow the more worldly way of life and their attitude compared to those who earnestly follow a godly way. “They malign you,” writes Peter, “but will give account to him who is ready to judge the living and the dead” [1 Peter 4:4-5]. So Peter’s comments indicate God calls to account at the time of judgement those who know the right way to live, but do not do so!

The scripture tells us that (Isaiah 26:14; Psalm 49:17-20, etc) that many when they die, will stay dead, they “will never again see light.” However, Peter is making it plain there is a whole class of others who, “will give account to God” because of their failure to follow in the pathway to his kingdom. So let all of us, as we read last week in Hebrews, “make straight paths for your feet” [Hebrews 12:23] and fully heed the words of Peter we read in his letter - because we desire to ... see good days" especially in the awesome wonder of God's kingdom on earth - and how soon now!

-------

- DC

14 December 2016

Job 16; 17

Habakkuk 3

2 Peter 1; 2  

"IF THESE QUALITIES ARE YOURS"

Ah, that little word – “IF”! Our quotation above is from 2 Peter 1. Today we read Peter’s final message as he realises he is soon to die. It is a time when he sees much evil growing and false believers coming to the fore who “promise them freedom, but they themselves are slaves of corruption. For whatever overcomes a person, to that he is enslaved. For if, after they have escaped the defilements of the world through the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus, they are again entangled in them and overcome, the last state has become worse for them than the first” [2 Peter 2:19-20]

What is the false promise of freedom? A glaring example today is the slogan in some churches, ‘Once saved, always saved.’ The idea that after you are ‘saved’ then ‘grace’ covers all your future sins regardless!

A strange kind of freedom!

Now we must take special notice of Peter’s powerful words early in this letter. He tells his readers that he and they have been “… granted … all things that pertain to life” and “having escaped the corruption that is in the world because of sinful desire … make every effort to supplement your faith with virtue, and virtue with knowledge, and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with steadfastness, and steadfastness with godliness, and godliness with brotherly affection, and brotherly affection with love. For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they keep you from being ineffective and unfruitful …” [2 Peter 1:3-8]

It is helpful to look at other versions to get the fullest meaning behind some of these qualities. Some Greek words cannot be effectively translated by one English word. For e.g. ‘virtue’ has been rendered as integrity. ‘Knowledge’ can be the act of knowing, in the sense of having a relationship, as we will see in Job shortly in his relationship with the Creator.

Finally, note 2 Peter 1:10. “Therefore brothers (and sisters) be all the more diligent to make your calling and election sure, for if you practice these qualities you will never fail”

--------

- DC

15 December 2016

Job 18; 19

Zephaniah 1

2 Peter 3  

"WHAT SORT OF PEOPLE OUGHT YOU TO BE ..."

As Peter completes his second letter he asks a question “Since all these things are thus to be dissolved what sort of people ought you to be in lives of holiness and godliness, waiting for and hastening the coming of the day of the Lord …" [2 Peter 3:11-12]

What is to be dissolved? He writes that it is “the heavens and the earth” [2 Peter 3:7] But this is not to be understood as the physical heavens and earth; this is clear when he writes that “we are waiting for the heavens and the earth in which righteousness dwells” [2 Peter 3:13]

We understand that “heavens and earth” as meaning rulers and the people they rule over. The present rulers and people (especially those who encourage the permissive laws the rulers put in place) is to be destroyed, in the same way (but not by the same means) as the very first “world that then existed” was destroyed; that is, the world before the flood [2 Peter 3:5-6]

It was the people and their rulers who were destroyed.

This is going to happen again, this way of life is going to be “dissolved” Peter says, and asks, so what sort of people ought we to be? If our answer is that we are not aiming to be holy or trying to be godly, then we will be classed with that which is to be “dissolved.”

Peter foresees that people will be saying “Where is the promise of his coming?” [2 Peter 3:4] Time has gone on and on but people “overlook this one fact … that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day” [2 Peter 3:8] He then writes in the next verse, and these words are very significant, “The Lord is not slow to fulfil his promise, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance” [2 Peter 3:9] 

Now turn up and read 2 Peter 3:10! It tells us "the day of the Lord will come like a thief ..." and pictures the Divine judgement to dissolve our world and replace it with one in which "righteousness dwells." Will you be there? You and I make the answer now.

-------

- DC

16 December 2016

Job 20

Zephaniah 2

1 John 1; 2  

“SEEK RIGHTEOUSNESS, SEEK HUMILITY”

Zephaniah’s prophecy begins, “The word of the LORD came to Zephaniah …” and starts by telling us about how the LORD “…will utterly sweep away everything from the face of the earth," [Zephaniah 1:2]. But what is “everything” and what is “earth”? Zephaniah 1:17 tells us, “I will bring distress on mankind, so that they shall walk like the blind, because they have sinned against the LORD…”

Then 1 John 2, which we read today, tells us to, “Seek the LORD, all you humble of the land, who do his just commands; seek righteousness; seek humility; perhaps you may be hidden on the day of the anger of the LORD” [1 John 2:3]. The word, here translated “land” is eretz and it can equally mean – and is translated as - ‘earth’ as in Genesis 1:1 – “God created … the earth” and after the flood God promised there “never again shall there be a flood to destroy the earth” [Genesis 9:11]

So we conclude that, as in the AV, ASV, trans. etc., this appeal from the divine word through Zephaniah is to the “humble of the earth” who are seeking and living their lives in a godly way and, as a result, “perhaps you may be hidden on the day of the anger of the LORD” because they “do his just commands” and “seek righteousness; seek humility.”

Our minds go to the words of Jesus about the last days, his warning that “false prophets will arise … to lead astray, if possible, the elect. But be on guard” says Jesus, “I have told you all things beforehand.” [Mark 13:22-23] The best way to “be on guard” is to “Seek the LORD all you … who do his just commands; seek righteousness; seek humility; perhaps you may be hidden on the day of the anger of the LORD.”

-------

- DC

17 December 2016

Job 21

Zephaniah 3

1 John 3; 4  

"SEE WHAT KIND OF LOVE …”

The word LOVE is used so much in conversation we can easily undervalue the meaning of this word in the Bible. It occurs repeatedly in the 2 chapters we read in 1 John today [1 John 3; 4]. It is a profound subject. The Apostle John uses it frequently in his Epistles. He himself is described as “the disciple whom Jesus loved.” [John 21:7,20]

But did not Jesus love them all? Of course he did! But love comes in degrees of intensity; it understands the character which is its objective. Consider John! He was prepared to go in and see all the events at the trial of Jesus, although he does not name himself [John 18:15-16] and he stood beside the cross with Mary, the mother of Jesus. [John 19:26-27] It was John who recorded the words of Jesus, “Greater love has no one than this - that someone lay down his life for his friends.” [John 15:13]

All true believers must aim to develop a living and loving relationship with Jesus day after day. As in all true relationships, it must grow and blossom and bring forth fruit. Today we read “See what kind of love the Father has given us, that we should be called children of God; and so we are“ [1 John 3:1]

Do we know that? What kind of knowing is that? John goes on to write, “You know that he appeared to take away sins, and in him is no sin. No one who abides in him keeps on sinning; no one who keeps on sinning has either seen him or knows him” [1 John 3:5-6]

So those who fail to become more like Jesus have never really known him! John says they haven’t “seen him”. The sense of “see” we have noted before, it was illustrated when Paul prayed for the believers at Ephesus that God “may give you a spirit of wisdom and of revelation in the knowledge of him, having the eyes of your hearts enlightened, that you may know what is the hope to which he has called you, what are the riches of his glorious inheritance …” [Ephesians 1:17-18] This is all vitally involved in ‘seeing’ the “kind of love” he has given to us.

With “what kind of love” do we respond? John goes on to write, “let us not love in word and talk, but in deed and in truth” [1 John 3:18]. Our actions prove whether we mean what we say! In 1 John 4, John writes, “No one has ever seen God; if we love one another, God abides in us and his love is perfected in us … we have come to know and to believe the love that God has for us. God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him. By this is love perfected in us, so that we may have confidence for the day of judgement … there is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear “ [1 John 4:12,16-18]

Let us all look very carefully to “See what kind of love” is being perfected in us?

-------

- DC

18 December 2016

Job 22

Haggai 1; 2

1 John 5  

"NOW, BE STRONG"

We read his challenging question; “Is it a time to dwell in your paneled houses while this house lies in ruins … consider your ways … each of you busies himself with his own house ... ” [Haggai 1:4,5,9] of action by those who had already returned. They had not got on with the task of rebuilding the Temple. Haggai bluntly challenges their lack of action. 

It is always time for us to consider our ways, as to whether we are giving proper priority to our part in Christ’s work. Beware if we are comfortable with our situation in life - giving priority to our personal needs. 

When Haggai tells them, to “now, be strong” we notice hope he says this - 3 times – for emphasis! 

Haggai, inspired by God, can tell there is something seriously wrong with their priorities. It is not that they were physically weak; rather it was a weakness of spiritual vision. He encourages positive thinking by stressing the need to “be strong.” 

When “The word of the LORD came a second time to Haggai” it appears to have a latter day application! “I am about to shake the heavens and the earth, and to overthrow the throne of kingdoms. I am about to destroy the strength of the kingdoms of the nations …” [Haggai 2:21-22] 

This causes us to remember how Paul concluded his most challenging letter to the Corinthians (and us in 2016) by writing, “Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong” [1 Corinthians 16:13] Haggai’s message is the same. The high priest Joshua is among those to whom he speaks - “Yet now be strong … Be strong O Joshua … Be strong, all you people of the land, declares the Lord” [Haggai 2:4] Then God adds, “Work, for I am with you.” 

Surely this is just as much a message for today, especially as real faith in Christ could almost be said to lie in ruins! Not only has the core of the teaching of Christ “the cornerstone” been minimized, but the spiritual temple of which he is the cornerstone struggles to be effectively “joined together” so that it “grows into a holy temple in the Lord.” [Ephesians 2:20-21] 

Finally, look at Haggai 2:4! It tells us to “be strong all you people …Work for I am with you, declares the LORD of hosts” Surely we can hear this being said to us today – and the time is short!

-------

- DC

19 December 2016

Job 23; 24

Zechariah 1

2 John 1; 3 John 1  

“WHOM I LOVE IN TRUTH” 

Today we read those two short personal final letters by the Apostle John. In 2 John 1 we are challenged by the fact that four times in the first 3 verses he uses the word Truth. He starts by writing to those “whom I love in truth” 

We need to “love in truth” if we are to “know the truth” and are successful in “walking in truth”. That last phrase jumps out at us. In John’s Gospel he recorded the words of Jesus to those “who believed in him, ‘If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free’ ” [John 8:31-32]. 

Truth is not just something you know, it is something you do; it is a vital principle by which you live; above all it sets you “free”. What does that mean? Free from what? Reading the ongoing conversation we realize it means we are set free from observing the letter of the law; instead, we are challenged to embrace the spirit of the word. Now this is a reaction of the heart, not the head, and results in “love” in action.

In his letter John states his alarm that “many deceivers have gone out into the world” [2 John 1:7] these had distorted what the Apostles had taught. This led to a group “who do not confess the coming of Jesus Christ in the flesh”. They were converts who thought they could improve on what they had been taught by their own reasoning. 

After accepting the teaching that Jesus was the Son of God and had brought God’s message to human beings [1 John 5:20], these deceivers were saying Jesus could not really have been a human being, as he was God’s Son, which means, they reasoned, he could not have been flesh and blood. 

This is serious, and John says, in his 2nd letter, that such “a one is a deceiver and the antichrist,” and comments, “Watch yourselves, so that you do not lose what you have worked for” [2 John 1:8]. He then says that anyone who “does not abide in the teaching of Christ does not have God.” [2 John 1:9]. 

John describes those who taught wrongly as doing “wicked works” [2 John 1:9]. This is disconcerting; we would love to see all Christians being in one mind, but human nature makes this impossible. We need to have a profound sense of awe in our hearts about Jesus Christ and his work before God, realizing that God will have the final say as to whether we receive his wondrous eternal blessings.

In John’s third and final letter he writes more about “walking in the truth” [3 John 1:3-4] and those like Diotrephes [3 John 1:9] who do not do so. Let us make sure we know the truth so that we can walk in it and live the “truth” “in love.” 

-------

- DC

20 December 2016

Job 25; 26; 27

Zechariah 2; 3

Jude 1  

“BUILDING YOURSELVES UP IN YOUR MOST HOLY FAITH”

It is God’s inspired Scriptures that are the only source in our Godless world for “building (y)ourselves up in (y)our most holy faith,” as Jude wrote so long ago.

But first let us see how our chapters today in Job are very special. Job was inspired to write of God’s creation and describe how the Creator “stretches out the north over the void and hangs the earth on nothing … He has inscribed a circle on the face of the waters …” [Job 26:7,10]

Job’s writings have come down to us from the earliest days of history and extended through the centuries when the prevailing ‘imagination of man was that the earth was flat: only in recent centuries did men realize the earth was some sort of “circle” and it was possible to sail around the earth.

Because of these ancient words, and many other reasons, we are able, as we read God’s word every day, to make constant progress, as we read today the words of Jude, in “building (y)ourselves up in (y)our most holy faith”. [Jude 1:20] Jude begins his short letter by describing himself as “Jude, a servant of Jesus Christ and brother of James.” Jude is an alternative word for Judas, and Jesus had another disciples named Judas (apart from Judas Iscariot) – see John 14:22 – and Jude is another way of writing Judas. Maybe after the tragedy of the life of Judas Iscariot, this “brother of James” preferred to be called Jude.

Jude prophecies that "in the last time there will be scoffers, following their own ungodly passions … worldly people, devoid of the spirit.” [Jude 1:18-19] – believers lacking any real spirituality. It is probable that this initially applied to the state in the faith, or lack of it, in Jerusalem just before the Romans destroyed it! But Jude is writing to the “beloved” telling them they must be “building yourselves up in your most holy faith…” How challenging that he calls the true faith “most holy” – let us meditate on the way our “faith” is “most holy” and whether we are really effective in our “building.”

-------

- DC

21 December 2016

Job 28

Zechariah 4; 5

Revelation 1; 2 

"WHERE SHALL WISDOM BE FOUND?"

The three “friends” of Job have given up reasoning with him, their minds were locked into thinking that everything ‘bad’ that happens is always a form of punishment by God – but this is – but only sometimes. We are now reading some very interesting chapters that contain Job’s meditations about God and his way – and we look ahead to note God’s comment in Job 42:7.

One point Job makes is that the success and blessings the rich enjoy are only temporary. “He goes to bed rich, but will do so no more; he opens his eyes, and his wealth is gone.” [Job 27:19] This is a lesson our world is in the process of learning, a lesson that is not yet complete.

Job 28 today caused us to reflect on the massive efforts in recent years, such as in this country, to dig out metals of great value. These are essential for the ongoing prosperity of modern man and his lifestyle. The chapter begins, “surely there is a mine for silver, and a place for gold that they refine. Iron is taken out of the earth, and copper is smelted from the ore.” Now more than ever “man puts his hand to the flinty rock and overturns mountains by the roots” [Job 28:9] in his efforts to increase his prosperity.

Then Job poses a significant question! “But where shall wisdom be found? Where is the place of understanding? Man does not know its worth …” [Job 28:12-13] Man is busy, very busy doing – but is he wise in all he is doing? Is this his sole aim in life? To make the point that it is not – is Job’s purpose in asking this question.

Job gives his answer at the end of the chapter, “Behold the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom, and to turn away from evil is understanding.” When we read about the “fear of the Lord” we see this as meaning we are to be in awe of all that the Creator must be. This is a healthy attitude of mind which we can build on, under God’s guidance, to develop a real relationship with our Creator and His Son.

The letters to the 7 churches (ecclesia) which we are now reading in Revelation illustrate the different degrees to which believers there had succeeded or failed in having a real knowing of the Eternal. Often it helps to see the word ‘knowledge’ as having the sense of knowing - of establishing a relationship, we will see this as Job’s book reaches its climax.

-------

- DC

22 December 2016

Job 29; 30

Zechariah 6; 7

Revelation 3; 4

“THOSE WHOM I LOVE I REPROVE AND DISCIPLINE”

The 7 letters to the 7 different assemblies of believers that we read in Revelation 2; 3 always challenge our thinking. They are representative of all the different types of congregations that have existed over time and each of us should be able to see in one or more of them, a “picture” of the congregation to which we belong.  However, if a community only believes in God in a nominal sense, especially the humanistic minded churches of today, that is probably not the case.  

The words that particularly jumped out as we read were – “Those whom I love I reprove and discipline” [Revelation 3:19] followed by the words, “so be zealous and repent.” This message was addressed to the “lukewarm” [Revelation 3:16] believers at Laodicea. In our present overwhelmingly godless environment we believe the warnings in this letter probably have a very wide application.

Jesus hears these believers at Laodicea saying, at least in their hearts, “I am rich, I have prospered, and I need nothing” - and then observes, “not realizing that you are wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked” [Revelation 3:17]. To be spiritually naked is a frightful tragedy, especially when you are blind to the fact as most if not all would be; the religious leaders who despised Jesus are a “worse case” example. 

We thought about that phrase, “… those whom I love I reprove and discipline.” Jesus wishes to love all those who genuinely seek him and is always looking for lost sheep or the prodigal man (or woman) who suddenly realize they are “naked.” Job was loved by his God and was disciplined to make him an even better and wiser “upright man” – as we will shortly read and more clearly recognise the purpose behind his tribulations. 

The Laodicean letter concludes, “Behold I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come into him …” [Revelation 3:20]. We hear his voice by reading his word and really taking into our minds and hearts what we read.

-------

- DC

23 December 2016

Job 31; 32

Zechariah 8

Revelation 5; 6  

"I WILL CAUSE THE REMNANT OF THIS PEOPLE"

All five of today’s chapters listed for our reading are specially thought provoking. Job reaches the climax of his responses to the faulty reasoning of his “friends” silencing them. Then in Zechariah we saw God’s clear latter day prophecies - and in Revelation some dramatic words to describe the climax of life on this earth.

Zechariah 8 stirred our thoughts. He writes down a sequence of statements of events that will one day happen - each preceded by “Thus says the LORD of Hosts” [Zechariah 8:2,4,6,7,9,14,20,23] Zechariah has returned from captivity to Zion, i.e. Jerusalem, but God now causes him to see and pen prophecies looking much further into the future. God says “I will not deal with the remnant of this people as in the former days … For there shall be a sowing of peace.” [Zechariah 8:11,12]

Next, God states, “I will cause the remnant of this people to possess all these things … let your hands be strong” [Zechariah 8:12-13] When we were young in the 1940’s Israel was dramatically restored as a nation, an event that followed the approval of the U.N. in 1947, but since then there has been endless friction.

Some students of God’s word have made unwise statements about what they believe is about to happen next - but we have learnt that prophecy is not given to us to make us clever so we can precisely pronounce on events to happen in the immediate future. The New Testament illustrates this; in Matthew’s Gospel in particular there are comments on the fulfilment of specific prophecies which could not have been foreseen, in their specific context, beforehand.

However, the time will surely come, as the end of our Zechariah chapter states, when “many peoples and strong nations shall come to seek the LORD of hosts in Jerusalem and to entreat the favour of the LORD. Thus says the LORD of Hosts: In those days’ ten men from the nations of every tongue shall take hold of the robe of a Jew, saying, ‘Let us go with you, for we have heard that God is with you.’” [Zechariah 8:22-23]

To this we can add what we read in Revelation; the song that will be sung to Jesus, returned as king of the Jews and of the world, “… by your blood you ransomed people for God from every tribe and language and people and nation, and you have made them a kingdom of priests to our God and they shall reign on the earth.” [Revelation 5:9-10] What an utterly awesome future for those “ransomed”! May we so live now, in faith and humility that we, by our Lord’s grace, will be among them.

-------

- DC

24 December 2016

Job 33

Zechariah 9

Revelation 7; 8; 9  

“SPRINGS OF LIVING WATER”

The book of Revelation is about the drama of human history from God’s perspective. We read of visions, largely, but not entirely, in symbol, these picture God’s judgements on human godlessness but ultimate blessings for those who remain faithful.

The climax from the believers perspective is the opening the book of life. There are blessings for those he judges as righteous and the opposite for the others. There is no third category. Jesus said, “Whoever is not with me is against me” [Matthew 12:30].

The resurrection has taken place and John looks and sees “a great multitude that no one could number from every nation, from all tribes and peoples and languages, standing before the lamb clothed in white robes …. crying out with a loud voice, ‘Salvation belongs to our God who sits on the throne and to the Lamb’” [Revelation 7:9-10] “The lamb in the midst of the throne will be their shepherd and he will guide them to springs of living water and God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.” [Revelation 7:17]

Jesus is the Lamb and we recall he spoke of ‘living water’… “If anyone thirsts, as the scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water” [John 7:38].

We recall what Jesus said to the Samaritan woman, “whoever drinks of the water I will give him, it will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life” [John 4:14]. We can understand that kind of symbolic language, let us drink that “water” every day.

One would like to ignore the other side of the picture! The angel is told, “Do not harm the earth … until we have sealed the servants of God on their foreheads” This reminds us of the blood on the doorposts in Egypt when God was about to bring the final plague! In Revelation we read of the plagues on “the rest of mankind” continuing on those “who were not killed by these (earlier) plagues, (but) did not repent … nor give up worshipping demons and idols … nor did they repent of their murders or their sorceries or their sexual immorality …” [Revelation 9:20-21]

It is interesting that in the margin of the NKJV Bible sorceries is given the meaning of drugs! What a curse these are today! And could the increasing effect of global warming be a plague? The climax of human history is approaching fast; we need “living water” every day!

How ‘thirsty’ are you feeling? Are your “springs”close at hand?

-------

- DC

25 December 2016

Job 34

Zechariah 10

Revelation 10; 11

“WE GIVE THANKS TO YOU LORD” 

The Book of Revelation offers us a wondrous vision in today’s chapter, a vision to which nearly all the world is blind – as they ‘celebrate’ this day in human ways.  We read how there are loud voices in heaven saying, “The kingdom of the world has become the Kingdom of our Lord and of his Christ, and he shall reign forever and ever” [Revelation 11:15].  

The elders fall on their faces and worship saying, “We give thanks to you Lord God Almighty, who is and who was, for you have taken your great power and begun to reign.  The nations raged, but your wrath came and the time for the dead to be judged and for rewarding your servants the prophets and saints. And those who fear your name, both small and great, and for destroying the destroyers of the earth” [Revelation 11:17-18].   

What a day of incredible thanksgiving this coming day will be, but notice it follows a time of the nation’s raging.  

The present largely “empty” human behaviour over the Christmas period will be seen for all its emptiness, much of it being really ungodly. What are people giving thanks for today?  It is the passing “pleasure” of the moment! The children enjoy themselves and, thankfully, some are moved to think of those less fortunate and give some help to them. That is good – as far as it goes. Do any of the children learn anything real about Jesus? It seems impossible to think so, but God knows.  

It is interesting that only twice in the Bible is there any mention of celebrating birthdays and both were those of bad men! [Genesis 40:20 – Pharaoh] and [Matthew 14:6 – Herod, when John the Baptist lost his head] 

The heavenly celebration to come will be wondrous beyond our ability to imagine, but until that time arrives true believers celebrate, not their Lord’s birth, but his sacrifice and death - in the way he appointed [Luke 22:15-20], knowing there is to be a wondrous finale to that celebration  in the kingdom.  

This wondrous event, called “the marriage supper of the Lamb” is also mentioned in Revelation [Revelation 19:6-9] “Blessed are those who are invited” to that feast, that utterly wonderful celebration – and will, with all their heart “give thanks to you Lord.” Let us live today so that we will receive an invitation.

-------

- DC