TFTBR - September 2016

Resource Manager

01 September 2016

2 Kings 6

Lamentations 2

1 Corinthians 15  

“BUT THANKS BE TO GOD WHO …” 

One of the most challenging, stirring and inspiring chapters in the Bible is Paul’s 15th ­ in his 1st letter to the Corinthians. We have chosen 3 different adjectives, which Paul uses, which reflect the differing but special kinds of reactions  its 56 verses inspire in our minds.

The greatest and most inspiring reaction maybe the one near the end where Paul quotes from Isaiah 25:8 "... then shall come to pass the saying that is written: "Death is swallowed up in victory. O death, where is your victory? O death, where is your sting?" [1 Corinthians 15:54-55),

For most people today death is not a victory - but a defeat!   Paul says, "The sting of death is sin" [1 Corinthians 15:56] and our world appears to be almost totally full of people who will feel this sting - in an everlasting sense.

But how wonderfully triumphant are we if we can truly give "thanks to God" because “he gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." [1 Corinthians 15:57]   Let us make every effort to be fully genuine believers who feel in our hearts (not just our minds) that this "victory" is ours in prospect, that we have truly committed our lives to God!  And in doing this let us embrace in our minds and hearts today (and every day) the last verse.

"Therefore, my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord your labour is not in vain." 

Let us sense  ever more clearly that the time is getting ever nearer when, as we read in 1 Corinthians 15:52, "in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we shall be changed."   

How far beyond our present comprehension is this!  How great will be our "thanks to God" and our Lord Jesus, for the "victory" that will be ours!  “He gives” it ­ it is a reward for our faithfulness, despite our imperfections, which, prayerfully, are diminishing as we become more “steadfast” and “immovable.” We reflect back on 1 Corinthians 2 of this letter of Paul's and his inspiring words, " ... no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the heart of man imagined, what God has prepared for those who love him" [1 Corinthians 2:9]  

Let us live each day, in ways which show we “love him.” At that time our "thanks ... to God" and his Son will know no bounds.  

-------

- DC 

02 September 2016

2 Kings 7

Lamentations 3

1 Corinthians 16 

DEPRESSION … “BUT THIS I CALL TO MIND”    

Today Depression has become a major health problem; one that is very hard to deal with, medically.  Many medications threaten to create other problems because of their side effects.  

We have thought about this during the last 3 days as we have read the LAMENTATIONS of Jeremiah.  What a difficult life this prophet experienced since he was called to serve God as a young man.  Now we picture him sitting, as an old man, amid the ruins of the wondrous temple Solomon had built 350 years before while all around him is the burnt and ruined holy city of Jerusalem.  He is utterly depressed. 

He writes, “Look O LORD, for I am in distress; my stomach churns; my heart is wrung within me … my groans are many, and my heart is faint.” [Lamentations 1:20-22]   After all he has been through; all his efforts to make the Kings and princes in Jerusalem turn back to God and seek God’s mercy, but they would not listen.  Instead they turned on him; one of his worst experiences was being thrown into a dungeon which was really a cistern and sinking down deep into the mud at the bottom: Jeremiah 38.

Then he is entangled with the enemy as the city is captured, but they give him his freedom!  But freedom to do what?  At some stage he suffers utter depression and laments, “My eyes are spent with weeping … my bile is poured out to the ground because of the destruction …” [Lamentations 2:11]  

But stop!  In Lamentations 3 suddenly a new way of thinking comes into his mind. 

“But this I call to mind, and therefore I have hope: The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases, his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. The LORD is my portion says my soul. The LORD is good to those who wait for him, to the soul who seeks him.  It is good that one should wait quietly for the salvation of the LORD.” [Lamentations 3:21-27]

Our lives revolve around our relationship with God; if depression strikes, the only real solution is to rediscover that relationship.  Jeremiah further says, “Let us test and examine our ways, and return to the LORD.” [Lamentations 3:40]  In doing this we will “call to mind … the steadfast love of the LORD.”

Let us meditate also on the positive way Paul puts this today in the final chapter of 1 Corinthians, “Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong. Let all that you do be done in love.” [1 Corinthians 16:13-14]

-------

- DC

03 September 2016

2 Kings 8

Lamentations 4

2 Corinthians 1; 2  

"... WAS TO MAKE US RELY ... ON GOD"

Today we started reading Paul’s 2nd letter to the Corinthians.  It is rather personal in several parts, but are not our own letters rather like that!  Paul’s emotions are often directed toward those who had, in most cases, been converted.  These emotions came from his heart – but that is the evidence of true love.

Paul told them that the “God of all comfort ... comforts us in all our affliction" [2 Corinthians 1:3-4]  The main purpose of God in this, Paul told them, and this is vital for us to note, was so "we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God." [2 Corinthians 1:4]

This is the 'intimacy' that flows out from a true relationship with God. Let us remember how John the Baptist made the challenging observation!  "A person cannot receive even one thing unless it is given him from heaven." [John 3:27]  

Paul now had the same perceptions. What "afflictions" he had endured!  Paul tells the Corinthians [2 Corinthians 1:8] how he told them, "we do not want you to be unaware, brothers, of the affliction we experienced in Asia. For we were so utterly burdened beyond our strength that we despaired of life itself.  Indeed, we felt that we had received the sentence of death."

Why did the Lord allow this?  Well, Paul then perceives, that it "was to make us rely not on ourselves but on God who raises the dead.  He delivered us from such a deadly peril, and he will deliver us. On him we have set our hope"  [2 Corinthians 1:9-10]  To "rely ... on God" was to have the foundation of full faith in our ultimate future - Paul's - and ours.  We should know well some of the last words he wrote - in 2 Timothy 4:6-8.

Paul's faith is really strong, and he seeks to inspire them - and this is a lesson for us – the effect of our faith on each other!  Look at how the chapter ends!  "... we work with you for your joy, for you stand firm in your faith."  

Wherever we can today let us follow the example of Paul, let us use every endeavour to show - in our whole spirit of living  (not just in words) that "we are the aroma of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing,  to one a fragrance from death to death, to the other a fragrance from life to life." [2 Corinthians 2:15-16] 

This is surely the greatest challenge we have today.  Human wisdom observes that 'actions speak louder than words' - but words and actions - go together - and both are needed to show how we totally "rely ... on God" and so, as a result, "God ... through us spreads the fragrance of the knowledge of him everywhere." [2 Corinthians 2:14]  That is what Paul saw himself as doing!   Let us try harder to follow his example.

-------

- DC

04 September 2016

2 Kings 9

Lamentations 5

2 Corinthians 3; 4  

"BY THE MERCY OF GOD WE DO NOT LOSE HEART" 

This statement by Paul in today’s readings [2 Corinthians 4:16] is achieved; or - at least the foundation is laid - by reading portions of God’s word every day.  The effectiveness of this depends on the spirit with which we read.  Most face the challenge each day of finding time to read; also time for meditation and reflection on what they have read and to ask themselves,  ‘Where am I at this moment in the sight of God?’ 

Many have times of difficulty and frustration to face and overcome especially during week/workdays.  We note what Paul goes on to write; “for this slight momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison” [2 Corinthians 4:17].  May we all have positive things in our daily experience which help to balance out the afflictions and irritations that challenge our “peace”.

We all experience things which tend to frustrate us, but Paul says, “by the mercy of God we do not lose heart” [2 Corinthians 4:16].  As we see his list of afflictions – ours are nothing!   The reason why he did not lose heart was because he looked “not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen.  For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal” [2 Corinthians 4:18].   

Let’s follow his example.  We read 4 verses earlier “knowing that he who raised the Lord Jesus from the dead will raise us also …”  [2 Corinthians 4:14]  Sometimes that sense of “knowing” eludes us: the temptations and distractions are the clouds in this world that blot out the “son”.

We have climbed a few mountains in our younger days and sometimes we climbed surrounded by clouds, but then, suddenly there is a break in the clouds and we realise both how much we have climbed, but greater still, we marvel at the vista of the distant scene that dramatically unfolds.  Progress in the believer’s life is like that.

Jeremiah is an exception to the general experience of “light affliction” and as we complete reading his Lamentations today we note his lament; “…the joy of our hearts has ceased” [Lamentations 5:15] Yet Paul did not “lose heart” – he could write, “We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not driven to despair … struck down, but not destroyed” [2 Corinthians 4:8-9] May we “not lose heart” no matter what tribulations may yet come in these “last days.” 

-------

- DC

05 September 2016

2 Kings 10

Ezekiel 1

2 Corinthians 5; 6; 7  

"WHAT FELLOWSHIP HAS LIGHT WITH DARKNESS?"

We saw today how Paul put the above question to the Corinthians in his 2nd letter [2 Corinthians 6:14] - the answer should be obvious.  Yesterday  in 2 Corinthians 4:6, we read, “For God, who said, "Let light shine out of darkness," has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.”  Light and darkness cannot exist together ­ yet in one sense, they have to in our world, but the light must strive to challenge the darkness ­ not the reverse!  The reverse obliterates the light!

A vital question?  What is fellowship?  In one way the answer is simple - fellows in the same ship - rowing together - heading - in the same direction.  When we stand back however  - and try to put this into the context of our present lives - does not the answer appear to be a contradiction? How can we do otherwise - the "ship" of this world - is also our ship!  

Well, in one sense it is ­ or has been - but our world has become motivated to an almost total degree by the spirit of godlessness. There are so few today, especially in Australia, that have any sense that there is a God - a Creator - and His Son is a Saviour - and their aim should be - must be - to become related to him - and then - to make sure they sense the wonder of that relationship by the way they think - resulting - in the way they live. 

One of the most challenging verses in God's word is Paul’s declaration that "'In him (God) we live and move and have our being'" [Acts 17:28]  We are all challenged to sense the reality of this - day after day. 

In his message to the Corinthians, we saw today how Paul plucked some verses from what God inspired Moses and Isaiah to write - words which Paul, as a Pharisee would have known - but only after his conversion would they have come 'alive' in his mind!  Let us make sure they have come alive in ours!  

Paul quoted - "I will make my dwelling among them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.  Therefore go out from their midst, and be separate from them, says the Lord, and touch no unclean thing; then I will welcome you,  and I will be a father to you, and you shall be sons and daughters to me, says the Lord Almighty." [2 Corinthians 6:16-18] Found in Leviticus 26:12 and Isaiah 52:11

May our lives prove ­ more and more ­ each day ­ that light has no fellowship with darkness!

-------

- DC

06 September 2016

2 Kings 11; 12

Ezekiel 2

2 Corinthians 8; 9

"TO PROVE ... THAT YOUR LOVE ... IS GENUINE"

Today our chapter 8 in Paul’s 2nd letter to the Corinthians addresses practical matters.  It tells us that “the ecclesias of Macedonia” in “their extreme poverty ...  overflowed in a wealth of generosity ..." [2 Corinthians 8:2] It seems strange, but human nature tends to cause the secure and relatively wealthy to be miserly while those who have little wealth and who are living in relative poverty are the most generous. We read today in 2 Kings 12 that even the priests neglected to use the money under their control to repair the Temple ­ as the king desired. [2 Kings 12:4-6] 

Paul comments how the believers in Macedonia were generous "beyond their means, .... begging us earnestly for the favour of taking part in the relief of the saints [in Corinth]" [2 Corinthians 8:4]. Paul is surprised - and no doubt, very pleased!  He writes, "this, not as we expected, but they gave themselves first to the Lord and then by the will of God to us." [2 Corinthians 8:5]  This is total giving, not necessarily of money, but of service, of help, in every way open to them..

What commitment of mind they obviously had, it was an enduring example for all time - that is why this commendation of Paul has been preserved.  Titus has a major role in this, Paul says, "we urged Titus that as he had started, so he should complete among you this act of grace." [2 Corinthians 8:6]  We do not perhaps think of the word 'grace' in this context , but it describes the foundation state of mind in many circumstances among genuine believers; we remember how we saw it used by Paul at the beginning of the month in his 1st epistle 1 Corinthians 15:10].

Grace is not an attitude that can be commanded, "but," says Paul, "to prove by the earnestness of others that your love also is genuine." [2 Corinthians 8:8]

Let us be ready to prove our love in a similar way when placed in such situations, "for," says Paul, "you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though he was rich, yet for your sake he became poor, so that you by his poverty might become rich." [2 Corinthians 8:9] 

How do you and I "become rich" in the way Paul means?    Our minds go to the words of James, "Listen, my beloved brothers, has not God chosen those who are poor in the world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom, which he has promised to those who love him?" [James 2:5] 

We must remember what we read yesterday! Paul wrote, "as servants of God we commend ourselves in every way ... as sorrowful, yet always rejoicing; as poor, yet making many rich; as having nothing, yet possessing everything." [2 Corinthians 6:4,10]  Let us "prove that our love is genuine.”

-------

- DC

07 September 2016

2 Kings 13

Ezekiel 3

2 Corinthians 10; 11  

"THE MEEKNESS AND GENTLENESS OF CHRIST"

What tough and challenging lives were experienced by those who were called to serve God.  This 'feeling' stirred our hearts as the read about the life of Elisha - and how "when Elisha had fallen sick with the illness of which he was to die, Joash king of Israel went down to him and wept before him" [2 Kings 13:14] 

So often, those who are a source of spiritual strength, at least in the Bible's record, are not appreciated, until they are about to complete their mortal life.  The "king of Syria oppressed Israel all the days of Jehoahaz. [2 Kings 13:22] "But the LORD was gracious to them and had compassion on them, and he turned toward them, because of his covenant with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob ..." [2 Kings 13:23] Is this compassionate spirit of the LORD appreciated - today - because of the work and sacrifice of His Son?

A fundamental principle was spelt out in today's chapter 3 in Ezekiel - the prophet is told to proclaim, "'Thus says the Lord GOD.' He who will hear, let him hear; and he who will refuse to hear, let him refuse, for they are a rebellious house. " [Ezekiel 3:27] Of course, we show whether we "hear" (today we can say, 'read') by how we react to God's message. How “rebellious” toward God is today’s world!  We need the spirit of Ezekiel! Can we develop a similar spirit?  Let us put this alongside Paul’s spirit! 

We saw today how Paul challenged the Corinthians as we read chapter 10 of his 2nd letter. "I, Paul, myself entreat you, by the meekness and gentleness of Christ ... For though we walk in the flesh, we are not waging war according to the flesh. For the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh but have divine power to destroy strongholds. We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ...."  [2 Corinthians 10:3-5] 

We meditate on how Christ himself took "every thought captive" as he endured temptation - wrestling with the ways of human thinking, sometimes - in his case - the temptation to do the 'right' thing the 'wrong' way – this was before he began his ministry.   Paul faced the same challenges after being confronted by Christ outside Damascus, he “went away into Arabia.” [Galatians 1:17].  

In our case we must lay the foundation to overcome the various challenges which face us, often day after day, by making sure we develop "the meekness and gentleness of Christ."

-------

- DC

08 September 2016

2 Kings 14

Ezekiel 4

2 Corinthians 12; 13 

"THE GRACE OF THE LORD JESUS CHRIST"

Paul ends his second letter to the Corinthians by stating (praying), "The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ and the love of God and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all." [2 Corinthians 13:14] There are 3 key words here that must be 'in' our lives, day after day. Let us particularly seek to fully understand “grace.”

"Grace" (Gk. 'Charis') is a particularly special word for Paul; we rarely find it in the gospels, it is not in Matthew or Mark - and John only has it in his prologue [John 1:1-18] which causes us to think John’s first 18 verses were added later before he released his gospel for general circulation. Luke, who travelled with Paul uses it in his gospel, but it is rarely translated as grace, for e.g. Luke 6:32, translated in the ESV as "benefit."

We meditate on how Paul's final words in his 2nd letter to the Corinthians which we read today sum up the spiritual principles that we should be developing - and which should now be operating in our lives.

"The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ." We meditate on the fullness of Paul’s meaning here! He told the Ephesians, "even when we were dead in our trespasses, (God) made us alive together with Christ­by grace you have been saved" [Ephesians 2:5] - and then Paul added in Ephesians 2:8, "by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God."

It "is not our own doing" - we do not 'earn' salvation! That "grace" - that loving favour which Jesus has toward us, brings with it "the love" of the Father. It's foundation was laid in his love for his disciples - and then it spread out from them!

Remember the prayerful words of Jesus we find in John 17. After praying for his disciples, Jesus said, "I do not ask for these only, but also for those who will believe in me through their word, that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me." [John 17:20-21] The initial ‘unity’ of the disciples as described in the early chapters of Acts – had a great effect – but true unity is founded on truth – in John 17:17 we also saw how Jesus prayed, “Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth.”

As we read of "The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ" and sense the spirit of this “grace” in action; let us take to heart the lessons in Paul's words that we have read in Corinthians and try even harder to follow his example, "by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace toward me was not in vain. On the contrary, I worked harder than any of them, though it was not I, but the grace of God that is with me." [1 Corinthians 15:10] How hard are we working? Our work for our Lord will show how fully we appreciate "The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ."

-------

- DC

09 September 2016

2 Kings 15

Ezekiel 5

Luke 1  

"BLESSED IS SHE WHO BELIEVED"

Those who genuinely believe – from the heart – the words that our Creator has chosen to see have been written down, translated and preserved throughout the centuries, find themselves continuously reflecting and meditating, in particular, on the records of the mortal life of the Son of the Creator. We now live in an era when such convictions of belief have, as we see around us, faded - and we will read in Luke’s gospel later this month, the question of our Lord, “... when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on earth?" [Luke 18:8]

We started to read Luke's gospel this morning and, when we come to Luke 3 we will see that there were those who "were in expectation" [Luke 3:15] of the Messiah’s first coming. Let us be their counterpart today.

As there had been no prophet since Malachi, about 400 years before, it is, nevertheless clear that many were conscious of his and other prophecies and were "in expectation" – sadly - there are increasingly few today.

It is instructive that it is the women who first believed. Angels came, first to Elizabeth who was to become the mother of John the Baptist, and then to Mary: they both reacted in faith when the angels appeared to them.

Mark's gospel records Jesus as saying that at the future time he is "coming in clouds ... then he will send out the angels and gather his elect" [Mark 13:26-27] In Luke 12, warning words by Jesus are recorded, "You also must be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect." [Luke 12:40] An “hour”!?

Returning to today's chapter we saw how Zechariah the husband of Elizabeth did not believe - although he had been praying for a child - and his "prayer had been heard" [Luke 1:13] - and so he was struck dumb until the child was born. Are we fully genuine and committed - in our hearts – in praying for Christ’s return? When Elizabeth was visited by Mary, Elizabeth declares, "blessed is she who believed that there would be a fulfilment of what was spoken to her from the Lord." [Luke 1:45]

Let us genuinely believe the words of the Lord that have been left on record for us, and then, "when the Son of Man comes" he will "find faith on earth"- and our King - at last returned to earth in glory will say to us, "Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world." [Matthew 25:34] The kingdom is “prepared” for you”! Are you and I “prepared” for the kingdom?

-------

- DC

10 September 2016

2 Kings 16

Ezekiel 6

Luke 2  

"AND HIS MOTHER TREASURED UP ...”

What a challenging, but also wonderful, life Mary had. We read today in Luke 2 details far more than the other gospel’s of the early events in the life of Jesus. The danger is that our very familiarity with some of these incidents may cloud our perception and resultant meditation on their full significance.

Let us not miss the ‘minor’ but somewhat significant changes later translations have made: in particular what the shepherds heard the angels sing! "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace among those with whom he is pleased!" [Luke 2:14] Let us make sure “he is pleased” with us. 

Then we have the account of Jesus, at the age of twelve staying behind in Jerusalem – and Mary and Joseph returning and spending 3 days searching for him until “they found him in the temple, sitting among the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions. And all who heard him were amazed at his understanding and his answers. And when his parents saw him, they were astonished. And his mother said to him, "Son, why have you treated us so? Behold, your father and I have been searching for you in great distress." [Luke 2:46-48]

But Jesus knew that Joseph was not really his father! “And he said to them, "Why were you looking for me? Did you not know that I must be in my Father's house?" The chapter ends by telling us Jesus “went down with them and came to Nazareth and was submissive to them. And his mother treasured up all these things in her heart.” How well have we “treasured up” God’s word in our hearts?

The Scripture records 2 more events in the life of Mary that stand out! When Jesus was on the cross he “saw his mother and the disciple whom he loved standing nearby, he said to his mother, "Woman, behold, your son!" Then he said to the disciple, "Behold, your mother!" And from that hour the disciple took her to his own home.” [John 19:26-27] A spiritual relationship! Are we standing near the cross – spiritually? We should! We must!

The final mention of Mary is in Acts 1. The disciples are gathered in the upper room  [Acts 1:13] and “were devoting themselves to prayer, together with the women and Mary the mother of Jesus, and his brothers.” [Acts 1:14] If there was anything more of significance to be recorded about the life of Mary the Scriptures would surely record it. Let us follow her example and “treasure up” these inspired messages in our heart.

-------

- DC

11 September 2016

2 Kings 17

Ezekiel 7

Luke 3 

“DISASTER AFTER DISASTER: BEHOLD IT COMES”

Our Ezekiel reading [Ezekiel 7] is initially about the disaster coming on the people still living in Jerusalem. Ezekiel was a priest and is among those taken into captivity [Ezekiel 1:1] some years before Jerusalem is destroyed. Those taken away are earnestly hoping to return to the land of their birth, but God gives Ezekiel only bad news for them.

Indeed the words he is inspired to write appear to have an application beyond the destruction of Jerusalem at that time – and we know there was a great and terrible destruction, including its’ Temple, after the time of Jesus, which he prophesied and which we will read later this month. Yet the language of God to Ezekiel is such that we can see a potential application to events in these final days, for more and more are turning their minds away from any belief in a Creator of any kind! Contemplate God’s attitude here and now and the potential for his actions!

So many are living totally for the moment, for opportunities to follow fleshly desires each day. Note some of the words of the LORD that come to Ezekiel, “Now the end is upon you, I will judge you according to your ways, and I will punish you for all your abominations, my eye will not spare you … I will punish you for your ways … Thus says the Lord GOD; Disaster after disaster! Behold, it comes. An end has come; the end has come …” [Ezekiel 7:3-6] 

This language is so emphatic that we are convinced it has a wider application than the impending news about the fall of Jerusalem and the Temple. God’s words through Ezekiel are repeated with emphasis in Ezekiel 7:10-11; “Behold it comes! Your doom has come; the rod has budded. Violence has grown up into a rod of wickedness. None of them shall remain, nor their abundance, nor their wealth …” The abundance of Jerusalem had already been dissipated by previous conquests, so this is surely looking to more than the immediate situation.

When we came to our Luke reading [Luke 4] we noted in the preaching of John the Baptist words which have also not yet been fulfilled! They are about the work of the Messiah, that “his winnowing fork is in his hand, to clear his threshing floor and to gather his wheat into his barn, but the chaff he will burn with unquenchable fire.” [Luke 3:17] That has not happened – yet. Long range prophecies are a feature of God’s word! What shocks await our world!? God says, “I will punish you for all your abominations … disaster after disaster, behold it comes.” 

It was 15 years ago TODAY that the massive twin towers collapsed in New York! How long before tomorrow? Are you ready for tomorrow? We will all need “the strength that God supplies” – read 1 Peter 4:7-11.

-------

- DC

12 September 2016

2 Kings 18

Ezekiel 8

Luke 4 

WHAT JESUS QUOTED – AND DIDN’T QUOTE

We have read today of Jesus going into the synagogue and reading from the prophet Isaiah to the congregation and then telling them they were witnessing the fulfillment of the words he was quoting. The quotation was “The Spirit of the LORD is upon me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor.” 

Good news means the gospel, but why the reference to the “poor”? Well, the Sadducees and other religious leaders were more interested in the rich who could give them and the Temple money. Jesus had much better priorities and ”the poor heard him gladly”. Then Isaiah had written and Jesus quoted, “to proclaim liberty to the captives” How was that being fulfilled? Maybe they thought it was to free them from Roman rule, but Jesus meant, in applying these words to his forthcoming work – that they were captives to sin! His life would be a sacrificial offering to free them from that.

Then he quoted “recovery of sight to the blind” and while he did cure the blind, the even greater work was to cure spiritual blindness. Have a read of 2 Peter 1:5-11

But Jesus, in quoting from Isaiah 61, stopped in the middle of Isaiah 61:2. Why? The first half of that verse says, “to proclaim the year (time) of the LORD’s favour” And that was the message he brought, and still brings to us. The ‘here and now’ was the time for both them and us to decide whether we accept the favour (grace) that is held out to us.

But soon, it will be the time for the second half of the verse, “and the day of vengeance of our God” We can see why he stopped short and did not quote that and it should remind you of our thoughts yesterday. 

As this world becomes more and more like the days of Noah, the time is getting closer for the door to be shut – and the day of vengeance of our God to begin. On which side of the door will you be?

-------

- DC

13 September 2016

2 Kings 19

Ezekiel 9

Luke 5  

“AND WHEN HE SAW THEIR FAITH”

Jesus – just as much as His Father – then and now – is looking to see genuine faith – faith demonstrated by actions - not just by words. In 2 Kings 19 today we see King Hezekiah appealing to Isaiah – for the king was in a desperate situation because of the vast army of the Assyrians outside the city. We read [2 Kings 19:1] how the king “tore his clothes and covered himself with sackcloth and went into the house of the LORD.” He sends his Secretary and “senior priests” to Isaiah with a message, "Thus says Hezekiah, This day is a day of distress, of rebuke, and of disgrace …. It may be that the LORD your God heard all the words of the Rabshakeh, whom his master the king of Assyria has sent to mock the living God …” [2 Kings 19:3-4]

Today the world is increasingly mocking the words of the living God – in passing ungodly laws and in getting the approval of the people through a plebiscite, as is currently proposed in Australia.

When we came to our reading of Luke 5 we saw how “some men were bringing on a bed a man who was paralysed, and they were seeking to bring him in and lay him before Jesus, but finding no way to bring him in, because of the crowd, they went up on the roof and let him down with his bed through the tiles” before Jesus – and “when he saw their faith” [Luke 5:19-20] the man was healed.

Now Hezekiah knew that his only hope was to have faith in God – it was an overwhelmingly large army that was surrounding Jerusalem. And what a miraculous deliverance occurred! And we are convinced – are we not (?!) that the only cure/deliverance for our utterly godless world will have a degree of parallel with God’s dramatic actions against the Assyrians! Remember what we read in 2 Kings 19:35!

“When the Lord sees our faith” – he will have additional reason to act to fulfil his word. May we, as Paul told the Colossians, “give thanks to the Father, who has qualified (us) to share in the inheritance of the saints in light” and “delivered us from the domain of darkness and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son.” [Colossians 1:12-13]

-------

- DC

14 September 2016

2 Kings 20

Ezekiel 10

Luke 6  

“REJOICE IN THAT DAY AND LEAP FOR JOY”

Today we read Luke’s abbreviated version of what is generally called the ‘sermon on the mount’ – but, as in Matthews’ Gospel, it is clear that this ‘sermon’ is not given to the multitude but to the disciples. Luke 6:20 simply says, “And he lifted up his eyes on his disciples, and said: "Blessed are you who are poor, for yours is the kingdom of God.” 

We meditate on how Jesus spoke in the present tense! He does not say you ‘will be in the kingdom! This kingdom is theirs now – as Jesus sees it – but he sees eternally! True believers must live so that their names are retained in “the book of life.” In Revelation 20 John, in vision, sees, “the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Then another book was opened, which is the book of life. And the dead were judged by what was written in the books, according to what they had done.” [Revelation 20:12]

We remember what we read last week in 2 Corinthians - we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.” [2 Corinthians 4:18] Back in Luke, how inspiring is Luke 6:23! “Rejoice in that day, and leap for joy, for behold, your reward is great in heaven.” We link this with the last chapter in Revelation when Jesus declares, “"Behold, I am coming soon,bringing my recompense with me, to repay each one for what he has done.” Revelation 22:12] Recompense – means reward – Jesus will give the faithful their reward when he returns to establish – God’s kingdom on earth. 

Jesus promised, “"Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.” [Matthew 5:5] Let us make sure we are there to “Rejoice in that day” and that rejoicing will be so great because of the wonder of that inheritance. The ‘rich’ in this world will not be there, they will have had their reward in this life. And will not those in the days of Isaiah and Ezekiel who refused to listen to and the believe these prophets that God sent suffer the same fate. The same principle applies to today – God’s word is available for all to read – but how many fail to read – or if they read – to absorb what God’s message is really telling them. Let us make sure – by the way you and I live – day after day – that we will “Rejoice in that day, and leap for joy” 

-------

- DC

15 September 2016

2 Kings 21

Ezekiel 11

Luke 7  

“WISDOM IS JUSTIFIED BY …”

We read today how John the Baptist sent two of his disciples to Jesus to ask, “'Are you the one who is to come, or shall we look for another?'" [Luke 7:20] We remember, when we read Luke 3, how John responded when “all were questioning in their hearts concerning John, whether he might be the Christ”. He had said “he who is mightier than I is coming …. His winnowing fork is in his hand, to clear his threshing floor and to gather the wheat into his barn, but the chaff he will burn with unquenchable fire." [Luke 3:16-17]

John’s words were true, he was quoting somewhat from Psalm 1:4 and Micah 4:12. But it had not been revealed to him that the Messiah was coming twice! His second coming (we anticipate will occur soon – very soon?) will witness these events happening!

The response of Jesus to John’s messengers is not a straightforward ‘Yes’ or ‘No.’ He says to them, “"Go and tell John what you have seen and heard: the blind receive their sight, the lame walk, lepers are cleansed, and the deaf hear, the dead are raised up, the poor have good news preached to them.” [Luke 7:22]

What would John have made of this reply? It was a challenge to him to revisit the words of the prophets - and see how this had been prophesied! Would John have remembered Isaiah 29:18-19 and the opening verses of Isaiah 61? Are there not parallels for us in this as we strive to fit the jigsaw pieces of what appear to be prophecies of the last days, before Jesus returns, into place? How often have we had cause to revisit past our interpretations of prophesy, to seek for better ways to fit them together!

We note how Jesus finished his comments on the foolishness of the human perceptions about both him and John the Baptist! In Luke 7:35 we read, “… yet wisdom is justified by all her children.” That is, by the affect it has in the future, how it leads them to live their lives – as well as being prepared for future events that will affect them!

We need to stand back and get the whole picture, both of the words and detail of prophecy, and (even more important) the way of life Jesus and his Father look to see in us. The final verse of Hosea’s prophecy provides an appropriate finish to our thoughts. “Whoever is wise, let him understand these things; whoever is discerning, let him know them; for the ways of the LORD are right, and the upright walk in them, but transgressors stumble in them.”

-------

- DC

16 September 2016

2 Kings 22; 23

Ezekiel 12

Luke 8 

“THE DAYS GROW LONG AND EVERY VISION COMES TO NOTHING”

Once again today we have fascinating readings in God’s word – especially if we read them with a ‘seeking’ mind, we will then then perceive there are lessons for us – for they can apply to the situations in which we live today.

In 1 Kings 23 we read of the energy of Josiah, he was the last good king in Jerusalem and made many wonderful reforms– but they were forgotten as soon as he died. We can see a degree of comparison with the spiritual reformation that followed the translation and printing of the Bible in English – but in the last 150 years this reformation has declined, until today it has been total obliterated.

Then in Ezekiel 12 we read of the reaction of the people to the witnessing efforts of Ezekiel. The reaction to his call for repentance was the ‘invention’ of a proverb, “The days grow long, and every vision comes to nothing' [Ezekiel 12:22] But Ezekiel is told to “say to them, “The days are near, and the fulfilment of every vision.” [Ezekiel 12:23] 

Coming to Luke 8 we see how Jesus explained the purpose of Parables to his disciples – and for most today - the whole Bible is a sort of parable beyond their understanding; but those who seek to follow in the footsteps of the disciples have hearts that are “good soil” [Luke 8:15] in which ‘the word of God’ grows and gives wonderful meaning to the overall picture and pattern of their lives.

Our final – and very meaningful - thought - comes from Luke 8:20-21. Jesus is told, “"Your mother and your brothers are standing outside, desiring to see you." But his response is unexpected! He answers, "My mother and my brothers are those who hear the word of God and do it." Today we can say, those who “read the word of God” and let it ‘inspire’ their lives. 

Those who do this, although their “days grow long” in this godless world, their constant reading of God’s word will cause them to appreciate more and more what they read.

An outstanding example is what God caused Habakkuk to write, “For still the vision awaits its appointed time; it hastens to the end­ it will not lie. If it seems slow, wait for it; it will surely come …” [Habakkuk 2:3]

-------

- DC

17 September 2016

2 Kings 24; 25

Ezekiel 13

Luke 9

“I WILL FOLLOW YOU …”

The finish of today’s chapter in Luke is about three different people and the reasons they gave for delaying putting into practice their intention to follow Jesus. “I will follow you wherever you go” they had said. It had been exciting to follow Jesus, amazing things had been happening, food had been provided – miraculously – in the wilderness. 

It was OK to follow Jesus if he was going to see everything was provided, places to ‘lay your head’ – but he then said to the first person, that that was not going to be the case! 

‘Let me first go and bury my father’ said another [Luke 9:59] It was not that his father had just died and there would be a day’s delay, but one can imagine there would then be a lot of family responsibilities to be taken care of as a result of the death! But others can do that, just as others carried on the fishing, “the hired servants” when those disciples who had been fishermen left their boats to follow Jesus. But let those who are not following me, do that, is the response (in another Gospel).

A third said, ‘I will follow you Lord, but let me first say farewell to those in my home” [Luke 9:61] So the lesson is that if personal considerations come first and make discipleship ineffective then Jesus cannot use us – cannot properly use us – so he does not want us! Note the last verse of the chapter, “No one who puts his hand to the plough and looks back is fit for the kingdom.” 

So if we have been baptised or are thinking of baptism let us realize the kind of commitment Jesus expects of us. But let us think positively, as Jesus did of “the joy that was set before him …” Two verses further on (into tomorrow’s chapter) comes Jesus’ words about the harvest labourers being few! True labourers for the Lord must have their priorities in the right order.

-------

- DC

18 September 2016

1 Chronicles 1

Ezekiel 14

Luke 10  

"LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ..."

How depressed Ezekiel must have been! The LORD caused him to be aware of the totally godless attitude that existed in Jerusalem. He writes, “certain of the elders of Israel came to see me.” [Ezekiel 14:1] The “word of the LORD” comes to him, “… these men have taken their idols into their hearts and set the stumbling block of their iniquity before their faces. Should I indeed let myself be consulted by them?” [Ezekiel 14:3] The lesson is plain, it is folly to come to seek God and yet retain fleshly thoughts in our minds. Ezekiel is further told, “any one of the house of Israel … who separates himself from me, taking his idols into his heart … and yet comes to a prophet to consult me through him, I, the LORD will answer him myself. And I will set my face against that man (or woman) …” [Ezekiel 14:7-8] Surely the same applies today to those who “consult” God through reading his word – but have a wrong motive in their hearts. Peter’s words come to mind about Paul’s writings,, “There are some things in them that are hard to understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction, as they do the other Scriptures.” [2 Peter 3:16]

In our chapter in Luke [Luke 10] there is some comparison with the attitude of the lawyer who asked Jesus, "Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?" He said to him, "What is written in the Law? How do you read it?" And he answered, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind, and your neighbour as yourself." [Luke 10:25-27]

Jesus says to him, “You have answered correctly: do this and you will live.” But he asks, “and, who is my neighbour?” In response Jesus tells him the well-known account of the ‘Good Samaritan’ and asks the man, “Which of these three, do you think, proved to be a neighbour to the man who fell among robbers?” [Luke 10:36] He answers, “The one who showed mercy” and is told, “You go and do likewise.” Let us all love our Lord, with all our heart, our soul, our strength and our mind showing our love by our actions day after day: of course, we will sense at times, something similar to what the LORD caused Ezekiel to sense. But surely, in at least some cases, it will cause others to “do likewise” and – for at least one or two to take serious notice of the message and meaning of what we talk about – the wonder and real meaning of the word of God – as the only ‘light’ in the darkness that covers the world today.

-------

- DC

19 September 2016

1 Chronicles 2

Ezekiel 15

Luke 11  

"THEREFORE BE CAREFUL LEST ..."

Our chapter in Ezekiel once again is the message the prophet receives from the LORD to send to the people in Jerusalem who are facing the potential destruction of their city and of Solomon’s wonderful Temple. 

They appear to have had the expectation that the LORD would not allow its destruction! But today’s message ends with the LORD saying, “… when I set my face against them… I will make the land desolate, because they have acted faithlessly, declares the Lord GOD." May our Lord never set his face against us! But he will against some! For example, recall what we read yesterday in Luke 10:15. The people of Capernaum had been wonderfully blessed in seeing many of Jesus’ miracles, but did they appreciate them! The comment of Jesus shows they did not – and how many people today have God’s word readily available. But do they appreciate this?

In Luke 11 today we read the teaching of Jesus in which he draws lessons from simple truths, he says, “Your eye is the lamp of your body. When your eye is healthy, your whole body is full of light, but when it is bad, your body is full of darkness.” [Luke 11:34] Then comes the lesson, let not this lesson be seen as ‘too simple’ that our heart does not feel sufficiently challenged by it.

“Therefore be careful lest the light in you be darkness”. Do we ‘see’ the point? Physically there is a huge contrast between light and darkness – but, in the spiritual sense, our minds can be ‘blind’ to the contrast.

May the next verse [Luke 11:36] be wholly true for us, “If then” (what a vital ‘if’ this is) “If then your whole body is full of light, having no part dark, it will be wholly bright, as when a lamp with its rays gives you light." God’s word alone can make our minds (and as a result our words and actions) “wholly bright.” “Therefore” let us all “be careful lest …"

-------

- DC

20 September 2016

1 Chronicles 3
Ezekiel 16
Luke 12  

"AT AN HOUR YOU DO NOT EXPECT"

We have a lengthy and detailed set of readings today, but it is our chapter in Luke [Luke 12] in particular that attracts our attention – and provokes challenging thoughts in our search for understanding. 1 Chronicles 13 provides details of all the descendants of David and is of interest to those who study chronology.

Our chapter in Ezekiel [Ezekiel 16] is an involved ‘parable’ of the unfaithfulness of God’s nation which had reached its peak in the prophet’s days. The message from God to them, through Ezekiel, was that “in all your abominations and your whorings you did not remember the days of your youth …” [Ezekiel 16:22] And of course, their “youth” was becoming a nation under Moses.

But it is in Luke that particularly attracts – nay, demands – out attention and meditation.
Jesus “said to his disciples … do not be anxious about your life” [Luke 12:22] Anxious about necessities – anxiety distracts us from the spiritually important – indeed, vital things of life. Jesus said, “For life is more than food, and the body more than clothing.” [Luke 12:23]

This statement causes us to reflect on how much of human thought today is dominated by what to eat and what to wear, people ‘judge’ them by this – even more than by what they say! It is how they spend so much of their income. “Instead,” says Jesus, “seek his kingdom, and these things will be added to you,’ and then he adds, “"Fear not, little flock, for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom.” [Luke 12:31-32]

What wonders are in store for those who are members of the “little flock” - but how few are members today! The counsel Jesus gives, as members of the “little flock” – is advice that particularly applies to today! It is to “stay dressed for action and keep your lamps burning, and be like men who are waiting for their master to come” [Luke 12:35-36] “… be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect." [Luke 12:40]

Jesus also made the point, “Blessed are those servants whom the master finds awake when he comes.” [Luke 12:37]. Those who are “awake” will be ready – especially as they know Jesus is coming “at an hour you do not expect." “This generation,’ (70 years) from when Israel became a nation again (see Luke 21:26,27,32] is almost completed. We suspect (but are not certain) that we know the year – but the “hour” we do not know! 
-------
- DC

21 September 2016

1 Chronicles 4

Ezekiel 17

Luke 13; 14  

“IF YOU FAIL TO REPENT …” 

Sin is not a word people use these days. People, who do wrong, try hard to avoid any punishment. Some employ expensive lawyers to defend them. In the days of Jesus, people more widely believed that God was the ultimate cause of punishment for their sins. Our reading in Ezekiel shows this, making the point that God had been merciful toward his people. Yet there comes a point when God acts because he sees that people are fixed in their unheeding ways, despite the fact that he keeps showing mercy. In the end God brought total destruction on Jerusalem because of the abundance of their sins and lack of repentance.

Now Jesus makes a very interesting point in Luke 13, evidently people had been saying that when a tower collapsed in Siloam and killed 18 people [Luke 13:4], those people must have been worse sinners than other people. How did Jesus respond? “No” he says, “I tell you they were not, and if you fail to repent you will all likewise perish.”

If we are not on God’s side, trying to do his will, there is no future for us. Jesus followed up his warning by telling them a parable about a man who planted a tree [Luke 13:6-9] and who came for 3 years, looking for fruit, but found none. It was given one more year to produce fruit and a special effort was made to fertilise it. If it did not produce fruit it would be destroyed.

Jesus came to the lost sheep of Israel, being the one God sent to make a special effort to fertilize the tree. Most would not follow him; those who did were largely the common people who heard him gladly. Forty years later there was terrible destruction. Wonderfully, in the plan and purpose of God, there is a future for his ‘chosen people’ in these last days.

And for us? If we have chosen “to repent” and so to follow him – it is essential we each ask ourselves, am I producing fruit? 

-------

- DC

22 September 2016

1 Chronicles 5

Ezekiel 18

Luke 15 

“THE SOUL WHO SINS SHALL DIE”

Our chapter in Ezekiel [Ezekiel 18] is one that is often quoted in discussions with those who believe that we possess some sort of inner being, a soul, that lives on in some sense after their body dies: but this idea is nowhere to be found in God’s word. The word ‘nephesh’ in Hebrew, which here and in some places is translated as soul, first occurs in Genesis 1:20 – where it is translated as ‘creature.’ It does not mean some ‘spirit’ part of a person. In today’s chapter in Ezekiel we read that “The word of the LORD came to me …. Behold, all souls are mine; the soul of the father as well as the soul of the son is mine: the soul who sins shall die.” [Ezekiel 18:1,4]

It is made clear again to Ezekiel that the father or son who “has done what is just and right, and has been careful to observe all my statutes, he shall surely live.” [Ezekiel 18:19] It is only “the soul who sins shall die.” [Ezekiel 18:20]. In the next verse we read "But if a wicked person turns away from all his sins that he has committed and keeps all my statutes and does what is just and right, he shall surely live; he shall not die.”

But this is not saying, eternally live! But those who remain wicked – will die eternally! We have said, many times, there is only the broad and wide way – and the narrow way! Paul expresses this bluntly as we read at the beginning of the month in 1 Corinthians 15. “For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ shall all be made alive.” [1 Corinthians 15:22] Nothing, “be made” – they do not naturally have a nature that is ‘eternally alive.’ Those before Christ came, who lived by genuine faith, as shown in Hebrews 11, will “be made perfect” at the same time as those “in Christ.”

Finally, we bring to mind Paul’s declaration of faith as his mortal life was ending; “the time of my departure has come. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that Day, and not only to me but also to all who have loved his appearing.” [2 Timothy 4:6-8]. May “that day” soon come – there are increasing signs it is near.

-------

- DC

23 September 2016

1 Chronicles 6

Ezekiel 19

Luke 16  

“BUT GOD KNOWS YOURS HEARTS”

Today, in Luke 16, we have what are probably the two parables of Jesus that are the most challenging to understand. They were not given to believers – but to unbelievers. We note their reaction! “The Pharisees, who … heard all these things … ridiculed him. And he said to them, ‘You are those who justify yourselves before men, but God knows your hearts. For what is exalted among men is an abomination in the sight of God.’” [Luke 16:14-15]

We cannot stress enough the point of Jesus that, “God knows (y)our hearts” - but, we note what Paul told believers at Corinth in his 1st letter [1 Corinthians 4] “do not pronounce judgment before the time, before the Lord comes, who will bring to light the things now hidden in darkness and will disclose the purposes of the heart. Then each one will receive his commendation from God.” [1 Corinthians 4:5]

How much to the point are the words Peter wrote, he said, before “the Lord comes”, although genuine believers will, “if necessary you have been grieved by various trials” – this will be - “so that the tested genuineness of your faith­more precious than gold that perishes … may be found to result in praise and glory and honour at the revelation of Jesus Christ.” [1 Peter 1:6-7]

Because “God knows (y)our hearts” this will happen – how wonderful – how awesome!

Returning to Luke 16; first 13 verses contain a parable Jesus gives about a dishonest manager – this is a way of describing those who take the ‘broad’ way instead of God’s way. Jesus makes the profound but simple point, “No servant can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money."

Those who try to – are blind to the fact that “God knows (y)our hearts”

The huge challenge for us in these last days is well described by Paul in the 15th chapter of his first letter to the Corinthians. Paul asked, “Why are we in danger every hour?” and warns the believers, “Do not be deceived: ‘Bad company ruins good morals.’" Let us be fully awake to the extensive dangers around us today – being awake, because we fully realize that “God knows (y)our hearts”

-------

- DC

24 September 2016

1 Chronicles 7

Ezekiel 20

Luke 17  

“REMEMBER LOT’S WIFE”

The account of the destruction of Sodom and the ‘last minute’ deliverance of Lot and his daughters is a well-known part of Bible history. Also known - is how” Lot’s wife … looked back” [Genesis 19:26] and failed to escape the destruction. “Two angels came” [Genesis 19:1] to deliver them but “Lot’s wife … looked back” - she was too attached to life in Sodom.

In our chapter in Luke today [Luke 17] Jesus made a strange answer to the Pharisees when they asked him “when the kingdom of God would come” Jesus “answered them, "The kingdom of God is not coming in ways that can be observed, nor will they say, 'Look, here it is!' or 'There!' for behold, the kingdom of God is in the midst of you." [Luke 17:20-21] We take that to mean, the unrecognised king of the kingdom is in their midst.

Jesus then gives his disciples a challenging vision of the future – surely this is real! Jesus first warns them “…they will say to you, 'Look, there!' or 'Look, here!' Do not go out or follow them.” [Luke 17:23] ... This is a warning about false prophets – see Mark 13:22.

That warning has applied through the centuries, but now that the Jews are back in Jerusalem - (note Luke 21:24) then we need to be prepared for the fulfilment of the awesome words in Luke’s next verse [Luke 17:24] “For as the lightning flashes and lights up the sky from one side to the other, so will the Son of Man be in his day.”

But this was not to happen then to Jesus, for “first he must suffer many things and be rejected by this generation.” [Luke 17:25] ‘This generation” has continue until our days. How few genuinely accept him – from their hearts – today!? What a graphic ‘picture’ Jesus ends his discourse with!! It seems to fit so well the attitudes in the world we see all around us today! Jesus says, “just as it was in the days of Lot­they were eating and drinking, buying and selling, planting and building, but on the day when Lot went out from Sodom …” [Luke 17:28-29] Then came destruction!

Then Jesus says, “so will it be on the day when the Son of Man is revealed … Remember Lot's wife. Whoever seeks to preserve his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life will keep it.”

Let us “remember” what happen to “Lot’s wife” – let us also “remember” the words of Jesus we read in Luke 9 “For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it. For what does it profit a man if he gains the whole world and loses or forfeits himself? For whoever is ashamed of me and of my words, of him (or her) will the Son of Man be ashamed when he comes…” [Luke 9:24-26]

-------

- DC

25 September 2016 

1 Chronicles 8
Ezekiel 21
Luke 18 

“A PARABLE … ALWAYS TO PRAY AND NOT LOSE HEART"

In this parable, at the start of Luke 18, Jesus illustrates the importance of persistence in prayer. We must become increasingly conscious that God’s power is such that he sees and knows all. 

David puts it this way, “O LORD … you discern my thoughts from afar.” [Psalm 139:2]. In the next few days Luke 22 challenges us to consider answers to prayer. Do we seek to know God’s will for us, or are we only thinking of our own wants and desires? 

Early this month we read of the traumas in Paul’s life. How urgent his prayers must have been in the many difficult situations he endured, but his Lord led him through them all. Soon we will read of Jesus, in earnest prayer to His Father: he does not get the answer he seeks, but the Father’s will has to be done. [Luke 22:41-42]

Our way of thinking might cause us to wonder why the Lord led Paul into all these difficulties; but then we look at the outcome and realize that overcoming difficulties is how faith grows, we see in this parable the woman’s faith was, in the end, rewarded. The ‘punch line’ of the parable is that we should “always pray and not lose heart” [Luke 18:7] 

The climax is a question [Luke 18:8], “when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on the earth?” Will he find those who really know the value and power of prayer; who are praying to the uttermost for a faith that grows as the world is falling apart around them? Are constantly striving to be among those who do not lose heart?

Now look at the next parable; it is about two different types of men who went into the Temple to pray. One was telling the Almighty what he did, but of the one whose prayer was heard, Jesus says, he “went down to his house justified,” and our Lord makes the point, “the one who humbles himself will be exalted.” [Luke 18:14]. Yes, we ought always to pray – in humility of spirit - even more - as we sense our Lord is about to come. Let us make sure we are among “his elect who cry to him day and night” [Luke 18:7].

-------

- DC