TFTBR - August 2016

Resource Manager

26 August 2016

1 Kings 21
Jeremiah 48
1 Corinthians 7 

"HAVE YOU FOUND ME, OH MY ENEMY"

The above saying was spoken by Israel’s bad king Ahab to Elijah when the prophet challenged him as he took possession of Naboth’s vineyard – after his evil wife Jezebel had organised the death of the vineyard’s owner, Naboth. Yet Elijah had only “found” Ahab because God had directed him; he was acting for God.
We must always be aware of that of which Ahab was unaware. We read earlier this month of Jeremiah’s prayer to the LORD, “O great and mighty God … the LORD of hosts, great in counsel and mighty in deed, whose eyes are open to all the ways of the children of man (human beings), rewarding each one according to his ways and according to the fruit of his (or her) deeds” [Jeremiah 32:18-19]. Let us each ask ourselves, what kind of “fruit” are my ways in the process of producing?

Ahab was a man of weak character, manipulated by an evil wife; both of them came to what we would call a ‘sticky end’! Their attitude, especially Jezebel’s, created problems for those associated with them. “The elders and the leaders who lived with Naboth in his city” [1 Kings 21:8] obeyed the wicked Jezebel when she required them to set a trap for Naboth and get “two worthless men” to bring false charges against him leading to his death [1 Kings 21:10]. Let us stand up against wickedness – all the more so, if it directly confronts us.

There is a further lesson in this for us – to avoid any situation which has the potential to oblige or force us to do something contrary to our conscience – for it is vital that our conscience is always activated to follow divine principles. Ahab had a no real conscience and it would be tragic if we ever found ourselves descending to a situation where we felt inclined to speak to a truly God fearing person, as Ahab did, “Have you found me, Oh my enemy?” [1 Kings 21:20]

To quote Jeremiah again, “Am I a God at hand, declares the LORD, and not a God afar off? Can a man hide himself in secret places so that I cannot see him? declares the LORD. Do I not fill heaven and earth …” [Jeremiah 23:23-24] The world around us is more unconscious of this than ever - that there is a Creator, let alone, that he fills heaven and earth! As a result, the challenges to our faith have never been greater – therefore our attention to – and absorption of God’s word, should be greater than ever, for todays’ world, in various ways, some unperceived, is our enemy!
-------
- DC

27 August 2016

1 Kings 22
Jeremiah 49
1 Corinthians 8; 9 

"EVERY ATHLETE EXERCISES SELF CONTROL"

Our news in the last week or two has included reports from Rio de Janiero where the Olympic Games have been held. Our TV screens have depicted dedicated runners and other athletes striving with each other to win honours for their countries.

These reports prompted our minds this morning, so that we read with greater perception the points the apostle Paul drew when he wrote to the believers at Corinth – this city is not far from where the Olympic Games originated almost 2,800 years ago. It is 120 years since they were revived in the modern era, but now there is keen competition between the countries of the world to stage them – every 4 years – and to train athletes to participate and win honours for their countries..

The lessons Paul drew in his letter were very challenging – and are just as much so - for us - today. "Do you not know," Paul wrote, "that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it. Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable." [1 Corinthians 9:24-25]

What intense 'self-control' was needed as each athlete exercised in preparation for the Games. Those who were successful received a 'wreath' - and also honours when they returned to their countries.

The lesson for us could not be clearer - our "wreath" – as we run the race for eternal life with a full sense of commitment - is beyond wonder - beyond our present comprehension. How ‘inspired’ we must increasingly become! Paul sets us the example, ponder his words, the spirit he had developed in himself!

"I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air. But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified." [1 Corinthians 9:26-27] May we all be able to echo this spirit of mind Paul had developed- and be a spiritual "athlete" that "exercises self-control in all things.

And – in contrast to the Olympics, our Lord sets no limit to the number who will receive an imperishable wreath! Let us train at every opportunity – to make sure we are among them – surely we each have a multitude of training opportunities every day!
-------
- DC

28 August 2016

2 Kings 1; 2

Jeremiah 50

1 Corinthians 10 

"WHATEVER YOU DO, DO ALL TO THE GLORY OF GOD"

Paul’s letter to the Corinthians continues to give examples of the difficulties the converts in Corinth were experiencing in turning to a life that was so different, so foreign to their previous way of life in worshipping idols. At the same time, the Apostle does not see it being helpful, indeed of any value at all, for them to have a new set of rules to follow and keep - such as we see in some ‘Christian’ organisations today.

Today’s chapter [1 Corinthians 10] looks in particular at the question of meat that had been offered to idols. Now this does not affect us in any way today, but the underlying principles are interesting. Most meat on sale came from sacrifices made in pagan temples. Many saw something special in such meat. We have encountered this in India with offerings, such as coconuts taken into a Hindu Temple, sprinkled with holy water, and thus having a special value in the eyes of worshippers - and they can (and some do) take them away and sell them at a profit.

Paul makes the point, “Eat whatever is sold in the meat market without raising any question on the grounds of conscience. For the earth is the Lord’s, and the fullness thereof (that is, everything in it)” [1 Corinthians 10:25-26] The converts to Christ having been freed from pagan rituals, did not all fully realize this.

In following Christ today we must make sure we do not create rituals or rules for ourselves and others as to what we should or should not do, such as things we eat or drink, in the belief that by such means we become more ‘holy’ in the sight of God. Paul brings his reasoning to a climax by saying, “If I partake with thankfulness, why am I denounced because of that for which I give thanks? So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.” [1 Corinthians 10:30-31]

Paul saw nothing wrong with eating meat that had been offered to an idol, but some were denouncing him for doing this. He was however, conscious of the need to act differently if an unbeliever “invites you to dinner” and you accept and the unbeliever makes the point that the meat you are about to eat has been “offered in sacrifice”. Paul says “then do not eat it.” [1 Corinthians 10:28] This is a means of making a point to an unbeliever; a means of challenging his convictions in the reality of the idol.

The essential point is to live and act so that our lives are a witness “to the glory of God” and that by our actions, as well as our words we “give no offense” [1 Corinthians 10:32]. Paul sums it up by saying, “I try to please everyone in everything I do, not seeking my own advantage, but that of many, that they may be saved.” [1 Corinthians 10:33] Let us recognise the ways in which we can follow that principle today.

-------

- DC

29 August 2016

2 Kings 3

Jeremiah 51

1 Corinthians 11 

GOOD AND BAD TRADITIONS                                                                                                             

The word “tradition” can arouse a negative attitude in our minds because of the way Jesus condemns the religious leaders in the Gospels for their traditions; he told them “you leave the commandment of God and hold the tradition of men” [Mark 7:8]  The word “tradition” is sometimes translated simply as “teaching” in modern versions.  The origin of the teaching is all important, was it ordained by God?

In 1 Corinthians 11, our New Testament reading today, Paul tells them, “Now I commend you because you remember me in everything and maintain the traditions (or teachings) even as I delivered them to you.” [1 Corinthians 11:2].   There are “traditions” that are essential for us to keep.  Today’s chapter highlights the need to observe what is referred to as “the Lord’s Supper” or “breaking of bread” [1 Corinthians 11:23-32]. 

Paul quotes how he “received from the Lord what I delivered to you” [1 Corinthians 11:23] He quotes the words of Jesus about the bread and the cup:  we note his words, “Do this in remembrance of me … for as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he come” [1 Corinthians 11:24,26]

It is sad how some have tried to add things he did not say! There is no reference here as to whether the bread should be leavened or unleavened, or whether it should be done on one particular day of the week, or time of the year!  To begin with it took place on a daily basis [Acts 2:46]; this is understandable as so intense would have been the feeling of utter commitment among those baptised into Christ’s name at Pentecost.

The earlier part of our chapter addresses other principles, “I want you to understand that the head of every man is Christ, the head of a wife is her husband, and the head of Christ is God.” [1 Corinthians 11:3]   This is the order of responsibility before God, a reason why Jesus chose 12 men to be his principle disciples. It is the reason why a woman should have a head covering, but a man should not. [1 Corinthians 11:4-7]  

There were factions in Corinth and Paul makes a pertinent comment [1 Corinthians 11:19], “for there must be factions among you in order that those who are genuine among you may be recognised” Those who do not accept, or who are not satisfied with the genuine “traditions” established by Jesus and his chosen disciples are those who go beyond this and move out from the congregations established by the apostles. 

This is the comment John makes in his epistle, “they went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would have continued with us.  But they went out, that it might become plain that they all are not of us.” [1 John 2:19] Today this is more evident than ever – as there is less dedicated reading and following of God’s word and ‘bad traditions’ have developed.

-------

- DC

30 August 2016

2 Kings 4

Jeremiah 52

1 Corinthians 12; 13

"BUT THE GREATEST OF THESE IS LOVE"

Today we read Paul’s marvellous, but challenging chapters about the right use of the gifts of the spirit that the Corinthians possessed.  It is vital to grasp the whole ‘picture’ of the nature and use of gifts that 1 Corinthians 12; 13 – 1 Corinthians 14  reveal to us – unfortunately this is often not done in our days. . 

We have heard people speaking in supposed ‘tongues’ - an unknown form of ‘speech: it serves no purpose, 1 Corinthians 14 spells this out quite plainly, indeed as we read it we will see how Paul makes the point in 1 Corinthians 14:23 concerning even genuine tongue speaking - that if "outsiders or unbelievers enter, will they not say that you are out of your minds?"

Indeed, if we look back at Acts 2 when genuine 'tongues' first occurred to the disciples on "the day of Pentecost" when "they  were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit gave them utterance." [Acts 2:1,4]. But God’s spirit was in control. Visitors came from far and wide to the feast of Pentecost – and they asked, "Are not all these who are speaking Galileans?  ... how is it that we hear, each of us in his own native language?" [Acts 2:7-8]

It is sad that there are some that try to imitate tongue speaking today - but they are not literal languages, we have heard them. Tape recordings have been made – others have tried in vain to ‘interpret’ them.. 

In 1 Corinthians 13, Paul said, "Love never ends. .... as for tongues, they will cease" [1 Corinthians 13:8] 

When the Gospels and Paul's and other letters came to be written, copied, circulated and translated, there was no longer a need for the tongues - they had served their purpose.  Paul, who travelled to many lands with many languages, said, “I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you.” [1 Corinthians 14:18]

1 Corinthians 13:4-8 are the words of Paul we should know best, even know by heart! "Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful;   it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends."  

Finally, in the last verse in this chapter Paul declares, "So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love."  

As a postscript thought - when Jesus returns - faith and hope will be fulfilled - so "love" will be the guiding factor to “abide” in our lives throughout the Kingdom. 

-------

- DC

• 2 weeks later...
31 August 2016

2 Kings 5

Lamentations 1

1 Corinthians 14  

"BECAUSE THE LORD HAS AFFLICTED"

Both of our Old Testament readings testify to the LORD’s actions in punishing godlessness.  First, in 2 Kings 5, we have  individual godlessness; Gehazi, Elisha’s servant had witnessed in his lifetime the works of his master in possessing, in some awesome degree, the powers of the LORD, the Creator.  We ourselves, increasingly sense his all-seeing eyes - of everything that happens – and, just as much (and more awesome when we meditate on it)  his awareness of the motivations of every human mind.  Gehazi’s most recent experience was the healing of Naaman, the Syrian, but it seems to have been of no ‘marvel’ to him.  He was self-centred.

Elisha had refused to accept any presents from Naaman; Gehazi was peeved about this and his human greed pushed aside all thoughts of conscience and honesty and he went after Naaman and told him lies in order to gain some personal benefit.   Then he told lies to Elisha to hide what he had done, but, as Solomon wrote in the Proverbs, “The eyes of the LORD are in every place, keeping watch on the evil and the good." [Proverbs 15:3] 

Elisha, as a man of God, was blessed with these perceptions: and we ponder what powers the saints will possess in the kingdom, surely they will be, to some extent, similar! See Hebrews 6:5.

Then we read the first chapter of Jeremiah's Lamentations.  It reads as if the prophet is inspired to personify Jerusalem,  “because the LORD has afflicted her for the multitude of her transgressions”  [Lamentations 1:5]  

Her inhabitants had constantly demonstrated, spiritual blindness and endless ungodliness!   We recognise parallels with today' – our world’s inhabitants - the one's that surround us! They must not influence us, do they? . Are we developing a degree of empathy with Jeremiah and his agonies of mind? We should.

"Jerusalem sinned grievously; therefore she became filthy ..." [Lamentations 1:8] "Look and see if there is any sorrow like my sorrow, which was brought upon me, which the LORD inflicted on the day of his fierce anger." [Lamentations 1:12]  

It is with heartfelt awe that we remember the predictions of God through Isaiah  in his 13th chapter - that " the day of the LORD"  will be the time of... "his fierce anger" [isaiah 13:9,13] When we add to these the words of our Lord - about the suddenness of it all and the need for "those days" to be "cut short" or "no human being would be saved. But for the sake of the elect those days will be cut short." [Matthew 24:22] These are words which cause us to be in awe of our own position and anxious to be sure of the reality of our faith!  

May we be delivered, in “the day of his fierce anger”   from being among those "afflicted" by "the LORD." 

-------

- DC