TFTBR - March 2016

Resource Manager

01 March 2016

Leviticus 5; 6

Psalms 105

1 Corinthians 14  

SEEK HIS PRESENCE CONTINUALLY

In Leviticus we continue to read all the detail of the laws that God had given through Moses, that "If anyone sins and commits a breach of faith against the LORD by deceiving his neighbour …" [Leviticus 6:1-2]. The chapter then goes into detail about all the ways this could occur – and there are abundant parallels of how this happens today, few have any sense of the all-seeing eye of God.

Then we came to Psalm 105. It starts by telling us to "give thanks to the LORD" and to "call upon his name" – and we should start each day by doing this. A particular physical comparison is like the fishermen disciples of Jesus launching out early each morning to get the food for the day! When they became fishers of men, then the second half of this first verse applies, to "make known his deeds among the peoples" and "tell of all his wondrous works" [Psalm 105:2]

It is Psalm 105:4 that should cause us the most heart-searching meditation. "Seek the LORD and his strength; seek his presence continually!" In this ever more godless world our own spiritual strength is constantly in danger of being swamped – so it is increasingly vital that we seek "his strength" and "seek his presence continually." We recall what Paul told the people of Athens about the one true God, that "in him we live and move and have our being" [Acts 17:28] Paul more than just about anyone else, learnt the reality of this, how well are we learning this?.

This thought brings us to the 1 Corinthians 14, Paul's challenging message to Corinthians. What particularly jumped out to our thinking was 1 Corinthians 14:20, "Brothers, do not be children in your thinking. Be infants in evil, but in your thinking be mature." The foundation on which our maturity is built is the way we effectivity absorb God's word into our minds – and above all – our hearts! When we do this we are showing our Lord that we "seek his presence continually."

-------

- DC

02 March 2016

Leviticus 7

Psalms 106

1 Corinthians 15  

"THOSE WHO ARE OF HEAVEN"

Our reading of that well known and oft quoted chapter 1 Corinthians 15 graphically illustrates a principle that is made again and again in God's word – that there is no "middle" way: our ultimate future is black – or - white. Paul goes to great pains to emphasize this: some in Corinth were doubting that Christ's resurrection literally happened, this would be the continuing influence of the convictions they had had as pagans, one it was hard to put out of their minds, most would still have pagan acquaintances and this would be distracting! 

This influence we be behind Paul's need to challenge – at least some of them, "How can you say there is no resurrection of the dead," he bluntly tells them, "if Christ has not been raised, then our preaching is in vain and your faith is in vain." [1 Corinthians 15:12,14] This is still the message to challenge doubters today. The impact the message had on the ancient world, as also evidenced by Roman historians, especially Tacitus, is one of the foundations for our faith today.

Paul then contrasts "the first man Adam" with "the last Adam (who) became a life-giving spirit" [1 Corinthians 15:45] Those who do not become related to "the last Adam" – to Christ - will remain related to the first Adam. Paul then uses the contrast between heaven and earth (i.e. dust) – we are related to one or the other. He says, "as was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven." [1 Corinthians 15:48,49]

Do we "feel" we "are of heaven"? It is one thing or the other. Of course, it in no way means we go to heaven, 1 Corinthians 15:35-45 make that very plain; the "natural body" becomes a "spiritual body" when it is raised to life again. But, just as the world around us is showing even more plainly that it is "of the dust" – so we must respond by making it more and more evident that we are among "those who are of heaven." 

The final verse of this chapter challenges us, as it challenged them, that we should show our convictions, our faith, in what dominates our attitudes in life. 

"Therefore", writes Paul, "my beloved brothers, (and that includes sisters) be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord your labour is not in vain."

-------

- DC

03 March 2016

Leviticus 8 

Psalms 107 

1 Corinthians 16  

"LET ALL THAT YOU DO BE DONE IN LOVE"

We have come to the end of Paul's first letter to the Corinthians; the final chapter almost seemed a "let down" after the way 1 Corinthians 15 inspired us, to "be steadfast and immovable". But then 1 Corinthians 16:13-14 of the final chapter today told us, to "be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong. Let all that you do be done in love." That final statement provided the finishing touch to the reality of the watchfulness of our faith, which is more than ever the essential motivation in our hearts in these last days. 

We can talk about faith – but we must make sure that all our "talking" is expressing the reality of the driving force that motivates our actions in serving our Lord – so that we "stand firm in faith."  

We are going to read an awesome example of a failure to do this, a failure to do things God's way, among the sons of Aaron. We read today [Leviticus 8] of the detailed process of the consecration of Aaron and his sons to be priests in the newly constructed Tabernacle. But a tragedy is soon to happen to two of the sons – their minds become swept along by a sense of self-importance – and their lives come to a tragic end. 

The closer we come to God, and the essential way do this is though heart felt intense prayer, the more our hearts should experience the opposite effect, that of utter awe – and humility.

Finally, in Psalm 107 we read of a different kind of sacrifice, we read "… thank the LORD for his steadfast love, for his wondrous works to the children of men! And let them offer sacrifices of thanksgiving, and tell of his deeds in songs of joy!" To which we can add, "Let all that you do be done in love."

-------

- DC

04 March 2016

Leviticus 9; 10 

Psalms 108; 109 

2 Corinthians 1; 2  

"I WILL BE SANCTIFIED"

"Sanctified" means recognized as holy, set apart from the commonplace; treating spiritual situations with all reverence. Far above all other considerations, this must be our spirit when we approach God. Our Leviticus reading today shows us the dramatic and disastrous result of a failure to do the tabernacle in the manifestation of the actual presence of God when "the glory of the LORD appeared to all the people. And fire came out from before the LORD and consumed the burnt offerings …" [Leviticus 9:23-24]. The effect of this should have created reverence and humility. This should have been their feeling in worship from then on, and initially it was! "They shouted and fell on their faces" [Leviticus 9:24].

Aaron had 4 sons, all were involved in assisting their father and today's chapter tells us how tragedy overwhelmed two of them. In the way we speak today we might judge that their position of importance went to their heads! Nadab and Abihu "each took his censer and put fire in it and laid incense on it and offered unauthorized fire before the LORD which he had not commanded them" [Leviticus 10:1]

The result was terrifying for they "died before the LORD" as fire from him "consumed them" [Leviticus 10:2] Moses then says to Aaron, "Among those who are near me I will be sanctified, and before all the people I will be glorified" [Leviticus 10:3]  

There is a vital lesson here for everyone who seeks to serve God and have a living relationship with him: this applies to followers of Jesus just as much as to Israelites. Examples of a failure to do this come to mind. One is the practice of the christening of babies in many churches instead of baptism when they grow to understanding - christening is not even hinted at in Scripture. Baptism is expressed as "an appeal to God for a good conscience" [1 Peter 3:21] The eunuch was told by Philip he could be baptised "if you believe with all your heart." [Acts 8:37] 

Baptism brings a person into a state of sanctification. When Paul was saying farewell to the Ephesian elders [Acts 20:17-38] he said, "now I commend you to God and the word of his grace, which is able to build you up and to give you the inheritance among all those who are sanctified" [Acts 20:32] God's word builds us up, it constantly reminds believers they are sanctified.

A final point: baptism gives believers the responsibility, as we read today in 2 Corinthians, to try to encourage others through the example of Christ in us, "for we are the aroma of Christ to God among those who are being saved … a fragrance from life to life." [2 Corinthians 2:15-16] Christ, "through us spreads the fragrance of the knowledge of him everywhere." [2 Corinthians 2:14] What "fragrance" can we spread today? 

-------

- DC

05 March 2016

Leviticus 11

Psalms 110; 111; 112

2 Corinthians 3; 4

"… WE DO NOT LOSE HEART"

Do you ever lose heart? Does life sometimes seem to be full of too many difficulties, too many frustrations? When we feel like this we should read these verses in Paul's Second Letter to Corinth. So many times Paul was confronted with very difficult situations that would have threatened to daunt the strongest personality.

Remember, for example, when he was unjustly thrown into prison at Philippi [Acts 16:22-24]. He and Silas were sitting in the darkness in the inner prison with their feet fastened in the stocks. They were "praying and singing hymns to God" [Acts 16:25] and these hymns were almost certainly Psalms. So what do we read today that Paul wrote to encourage others? "For it is all for your sake, so that as grace extends to more and more … so we do not lose heart. Though our outer nature is wasting away, our inner nature is being renewed day by day. For this slight momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen … the things that that are unseen are eternal" [2 Corinthians 4:16-18]

It could well have been that the Psalms today were some of the hymns that Paul and Silas were singing. "Blessed is the man (or woman) who fears the LORD, who greatly delights in his commandments … Light dawns in the darkness for the upright. For the righteous will never be moved; he will be remembered forever.  He is not afraid of bad news; his heart is firm trusting in the LORD. His heart is steady; he will not be afraid." [Psalm 112:1,4,6,7,8]

May this become our outlook on life ­ as we are surrounded by more and more godlessness but anticipating we will soon see God fulfilling the words we also read today, "The Lord is at your right hand; he will shatter kings on the day of his wrath. He will execute judgement among the nations …" [Psalm 110:5-6] Let us read God's word every day and build up our faith so that "we do not lose heart."

-------

- DC

06 March 2016

Leviticus 12; 13

Psalms 113; 114

2 Corinthians 5; 6; 7 

"WE ARE THE TEMPLE OF THE LIVING GOD"

We often think of the occasion the disciples showed Jesus the grandeur of the Temple [Mark 13:1-2]. Think of the attitude of mind that prompted them to do this! They, like their fellow Jews, were proud of it. Jesus totally shocked them by saying it was all going to be destroyed! 

Now in today's reading in Second Corinthians - Paul makes the point of how the temple was replaced.

What is now in its place! There is a new kind of Temple where God wishes to dwell, a new "Most Holy Place" and that is the most important thing in the life of a believer. 

Paul writes, "we are the temple of the living God, as God has said …" [2 Corinthians 6:16]. Note how Paul then quotes the words of God that we are going to read later this month in Leviticus. Let us ponder in our hearts what God said to Moses that Paul felt he should quote in his letter? 

"I will make my dwelling among them and walk among them, and will be their God, and they shall be my people. Therefore go from out from their (i.e. the unbelievers) midst and be separate from them … then I will welcome you and I will be a father to you and you shall be sons and daughters to me, says the Lord Almighty." [2 Corinthians 6:16-18] 

And what does Paul add after writing this? He paraphrases words from Leviticus 26:11-12 "since we have these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from every defilement of body and spirit bringing holiness to completion in the fear of God" [2 Corinthians 7:1]

Let us fully grasp the reality that our minds and hearts are the spiritual temple in which God seeks to live - we must ask ourselves - what are the things we meditate upon? Do we make ample time each day for this meditation?  

It is vital that we are positive in reacting to this challenge – how utterly wonderful to have God in our very being, watching over us! We therefore see how important it is that we read God's word every day.  

Note how, at the beginning of 2 Corinthians 6:, Paul quotes from Isaiah 49:8 – "now is the day of salvation" - now is the day we more fully realize "we are the temple of the living God."

Think of the hymn Islip Collyer wrote,

"We know the end, we know the way,

And some with life he will endow,

Shall we be will him on that day?

We make the answer now." 

-------

- DC

07 March 2016

Leviticus 14

Psalms 115; 116

2 Corinthians 8; 9 

"I SAID IN MY ALARM"

We came across this phrase in today's Psalm, Psalm 116:11. It is an encouraging Psalm, it starts, "I love the LORD, because he has heard my voice and pleas for mercy. Because he inclined his ear to me, therefore I will call on him as long as I live" [Psalm 116:1-2]. 

Yet there are times when we find it hard to call on God; we seem to be overwhelmed by events. The same happened to David, who is almost certainly the writer of this Psalm. We read in Psalm 116:6-7, "When I was brought low, he saved me. Return O my soul to your rest, for the LORD has dealt bountifully with you".

David talks to himself, telling himself to rest upon the Lord, to remember all the times God has dealt bountifully with him. Count your blessings, we say to ourselves – and sometimes sing. It is a great source of reassurance to have in mind the blessings we have experienced in the past.  

But what are we to make of Psalm 116:11? "I said in my alarm, 'All mankind are liars.'"  

Does that seem an odd thing to be alarmed about? We think he means that he cannot trust anyone.  He could not trust his own brothers; remember what they said to him when he came to the army camp when Goliath was challenging Israel? [1 Samuel 17:28] Saul's son Jonathan was his closest friend; remember his lament when Jonathan was killed in battle? 

Last week we read in Corinthians of the frictions between members of the ecclesia there; some were even taking each other to court. Paul told them, "To have lawsuits at all with one another is already a defeat for you. Why not rather suffer wrong? Why not rather be defrauded?  But you yourselves wrong and defraud – even your own brothers! Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God?" [1 Corinthians 6:7-9]. 

The Corinthians were blind to this fact! We must not be! Paul could have used David's phrase to the, "I said in my alarm 'All mankind are liars'." How inspiring is David's Psalm 15 for us. "He who walks blamelessly and does what is right and speaks truth in his heart … He who does these things shall never be moved." This Psalm has only 5 verses. Read it all, and feel wonderfully inspired. Memorise it!

Recall how today's Psalm started? "I love the LORD …" If we can say that with all our heart, then we will not be despairingly alarmed and distressed by those around us who behave and speak badly towards us. Have a look at what David says after lamenting that all men are liars – in particular meditate on what "the sacrifice of thanksgiving" means in practice. [Psalm 116:17] Food for thought and meditation today.

-------

- DC

08 March 2016

Leviticus 15

Psalms 117; 118

2 Corinthians 10; 11

"AS YOUR FAITH INCREASES"

Can your faith or my faith be measured? If we say, "Yes" – then it means we can look back on our lives and "measure" our faith in some sense! The main sense in which "faith" is measured is by past actions which demonstrated our faith. Our thoughts unfolded in this way as we meditated on Paul's words to the Corinthians in today's chapters, 2 Corinthians 10; 11. 

Paul had become concerned that those with fleshly motivations were influencing the ecclesia. 2 Corinthians 10 ends with Paul's point, "it is not the one who commends himself who is approved, but the one whom the Lord commends." But how does the Lord commend? He is not here to say so! That will happen when our Lord returns - and how awesome will that be!

There is a human saying that actions speak louder than words! How important that we search our hearts to identify the motivation and genuineness of our actions! Paul is greatly concerned with the Corinthians that "if someone comes and proclaims another Jesus ... or if you receive a different spirit ... or if you accept a different gospel ... you put up with it readily enough." [2 Corinthians 11:4] 

Paul told them bluntly, "I betrothed you to one husband, to present you as a pure virgin to Christ." [2 Corinthians 11:2] How "pure" are we? Do we really see Christ as our "husband" as well as our Saviour? We should do, and this is shown by the way in which "(y)our faith has increased." Paul challenged them, as we read yesterday, "you excel in everything­in faith, in speech, in knowledge ..." [2 Corinthians 8:7], they needed to show this by their consistency of action. Paul's letter has been preserved to challenge us to do the same.

The fundamental factor to be seen "as our faith increases", is, to quote the Apostle Peter, that (we become) "like living stones (that) are being built up as a spiritual house, to be a holy priesthood, to offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ." [1 Peter 2:5] In the next verse Peter says, "whoever believes in him will not be put to shame." Surely this means, when he comes! Our "spiritual sacrifices" show our faith is increasing - we 'sacrifice' worldly pursuits to give our mind and our time more and more to the service to our Saviour – and so be as ready, as is humanly possible, for his return. 

-------

- DC

09 March 2016

Leviticus 16

Psalms 119:1-40

2 Corinthians 12; 13

"OH THAT MY WAYS"

Psalm 119 is very special. When we were young we used to just think of it as an extra-long chapter, the longest in the Bible, 176 verses, seemingly impossible to read at one go. And nor should we try to read it like that! God's word is food for our minds, we should savour it and "eat" it carefully.  

This Psalm is like tender tasty "meat" causing much reflection on our ways before God. It is surprising how often the word "way" or "ways" occurs in it.

David, like all of us, was on a journey through life, we, like him, have to decide the best WAY to take, what career path to try to follow, how to best use our retirement ion his service. We must recognise there is a spiritual career path too! An important and challenging part of our decisions is how far into the future we are looking, our world is finding it increasingly difficult to look very far at all! 

Now look at the words at the start of this Psalm. "Blessed are they whose way is blameless, who walk in the law of the LORD! Blessed are those who keep his testimonies, who seek him with their whole heart, who also do no wrong, but walk in his ways! You have commanded your precepts to be kept diligently. Oh that my ways may be steadfast …" [Psalm 119:1-5] Can we wholehearttedly take David's words to ourselves?

In some modern versions, such as the New English Bible, they use the word "Happy" instead of "Blessed", interesting! What is the way to true happiness. What is it to be happy? What will your workmate or neighbour answer if you ask him or her?

David asks, "How can a young man (or woman) keep his way pure?" What is his answer? "By guarding it according to your word. With my whole heart I seek you; let me not wander from your commandments! I have stored up your word in my heart that I might not sin against you." [Psalm 119:9-11]  

Think about that! How much of God's word do we have in storage? We prove how much, by how much we can bring it out when it is needed, especially when we are challenged and feel inclined to leave the narrow way – just a little! But that means we are no longer on the "narrow" way! 

David later writes, "Put false ways far from me and graciously teach me your law! I have chosen the way of faithfulness … Turn my eyes away from looking at worthlesss things; and give me life in your ways." [Psalm 119:29,30,37] In many ways this Psalm contains the essence of the prayers of David; examples on which to model our prayers.

-------

- DC

10 March 2016

Leviticus 17; 18

Psalms 119:41-80

Luke 1

"SO KEEP MY CHARGE NEVER TO ..."

Today's chapter in Leviticus [Leviticus 18] does not make "pleasant" or uplifting reading! God spells out in plain language to Moses that God's people must not follow the sexual practices they have seen among the Egyptians. [Leviticus 18:3] The LORD tells Moses, "Speak to the people of Israel ... you shall not do as they do in the land of Canaan, to which I am bringing you ... You shall follow my rules and keep my statutes and walk in them. I am the LORD your God." [Leviticus 18:2-4]

The law which follows declares the need for integrity in sexual relationships, stressing the sanctity of a marriage commitment. The law then details sexual relationships which were abhorrent in God's eyes, ones' that "make" them "unclean." From Leviticus 18:7 onwards we read a depressing list of these relationships, the LORD sees them as "depravity." [Leviticus 18:17] 

It is Leviticus 18:22 which is particularly relevant for us today with the apparent intention in this country (and not only ours) to make this form of sexual depravity legal. The verse bluntly states, "You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination." Moses is to tell the Israelites this blunt message from God! 

The "nations" God is "driving out before you have become unclean, and the land became unclean, so that I punished its iniquity, and the land vomited out its inhabitants" [Leviticus 18:24-25]  

The chapter ends, "So keep my charge never to practice any of these abominable customs that were practiced before you, and never to make yourselves unclean by them: I am the LORD your God."

We recall what we read recently in 1 Corinthians. Paul bluntly wrote and told them, "the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality ... will inherit the kingdom of God" [1 Corinthians 6:9-10]

So let us "keep (God's) charge never to practice any of these abominable customs." Instead let us become ever more committed to daily reading God's word and following God's "rules" making sure we do this because we actively love our Saviour and we are looking forward with all our heart to the absolute wonder of being eternally in his kingdom.

-------

- DC

11 March 2016

Leviticus 19

Psalms 119:81-128

Luke 2

“THEREFORE I HATE EVERY FALSE WAY” 

There are many challenging sayings we read today in the middle of the 176 verses of Psalm 119 that we might miss their value to our minds because of its length.  We should ‘lock’ on to them as being invaluable to the attitudes we must develop to help us withstand the ungodly attitudes that daily surround us – on every side. 

Can we join the Psalmist in saying the words of Psalm 119:97? "Oh how I love your law! It is my meditation all the day." Then in Psalm 119:103-104, "How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth!  Through your precepts I get understanding; therefore I hate every false way."  

We ponder the way we can see God's words as "sweet" as they provide us with “understanding” what is true! We know well how some food is sweet in our mouths and is usually a pleasure to eat - but the Psalmist sees God's words as "sweet" for our minds - What "taste" does your mind have?  

The Psalmist is telling us that God's words are sweet to his thinking because they lead to wise directions in his actions: their ultimate direction will reach a destination in God's kingdom with experiences far beyond what he (and ourselves) can presently envisage,.

In Psalm 119:111-112 – we must judge how what we read here is also true for us!?   

In these verses the Psalmist tells the LORD "Your testimonies are my heritage forever, for they are the joy of my heart. I incline my heart to perform your statutes forever ..." Then he tells the LORD that "You spurn all who go astray from your statutes ... you discard (them) like dross ..." [Psalm 119:118-9] Sadly we have seen all to many who start on the "narrow way" who somehow start to cease to "hate every false way" and become “dross.”

Remember how Jesus told a parable on this! "Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many."  [Matthew 7:13]  Today we feel that nearly everyone prefers the wide gate!  How few even realise there is a "gate (that) is narrow and the way is hard." But that is the true way that alone "leads to life" Matthew 7:14] Those who follow this way feed their minds on this Psalm and other Scriptures and learn, with all their heart, to "hate every false way" as they enjoy day after day, the sweetness of God’s word. 

-------

- DC

12 March 2016

Leviticus 20

Psalms 119:129-176

Luke 3

"YOU SHALL BE HOLY TO ME"

What a spiritually challenging set of readings we have today! Leviticus 20 details the detestable things the nations were doing which God's nation, being formed in the wilderness, were to completely avoid. 

In contrast to the other nations they are told to "Consecrate yourselves, therefore, and be holy, for I am the LORD your God." [Leviticus 20:7] They are told "you shall not walk in the customs of the nation(s)... the LORD your God ... has separated you from the peoples ... You shall be holy to me ... that you should be mine. " [Leviticus 20:23,24,26] Consecrate is defined in our dictionary as that which is "set apart as sacred." 

Then we completed reading Psalm 119: what a wonderful prayer this is that we can take into our hearts and make it our own. "Great is your mercy, O LORD ... my heart stands in awe of your words ... Great peace have those who love your law (word) ... I keep your precepts and testimonies, for all my ways are before you." [Psalm 119:156,161,165,168] Let us all have peace (of mind) in our godless world. Also let us sense ever more clearly how our Lord and his Father sees "all (our) ways" and join David in saying, "I long for your salvation, O LORD ... Let my soul live and praise you" [Psalm 119:174-175] 

David is still asleep; remember what Peter said about him in his preaching at Pentecost! He declared "the patriarch David … both died and was buried .... David did not ascend into the heavens" [Acts 2:25,34] We, like David, long for God's "salvation" – and like him, may our aim in life be to "be holy to" the Lord.

In Luke 3 we read the prophecy of John the Baptist. He declares, "he who is mightier than I is coming ... His winnowing fork is in his hand ... to gather the wheat into his barn, but the chaff he will burn with unquenchable fire." [Luke 3:16-17] John is referring to prophecies such in Isaiah 41:15-16. 

Their fulfilment awaits his second coming and when that occurs (how soon now?) may our Lord say to us "you shall be (are) holy to me"! Our anticipation of this is beyond wonder, but we are in awe of the fate of "the chaff" - this is surely about those who could have been "wheat" - but failed to grow in the right way. May we "be holy" and be embraced by him as his wheat, to be planted in the kingdom, to be with our Lord as he "bring(s) forth justice to the nations and has established justice in the earth." [isaiah 42:1,4] 

-------

- DC

13 March 2016

Leviticus 21

Psalms 120; 121; 122; 123; 124

Luke 4

"I WAS SENT FOR THIS PURPOSE"

The Apostle Paul told Timothy, "Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost." [1 Timothy 1:15] That salvation was only possible through his sacrifice on the cross, a sacrifice that brought an end to all the sacrifices of animals and the use of their blood on the altar that we have been reading about in Leviticus. 

But that was not the only reason Jesus came into the world! The point is very clearly made in today's chapter in Luke [Luke 4]. As Jesus moved around Israel many were attracted by his healings. "... all those who had any who were sick with various diseases brought them to him, and he laid his hands on them …and healed them … The people would have kept him from leaving them, but he said to them. 'must preach the good news of the kingdom of God to the other towns as well; for I was sent for this purpose.'" [Luke 4:40,42,43] 

Now let us ask - were they listening to "the good news"? The people of Capernaum, in particular, who had been "exalted to heaven" [Luke 10:15] by their witnessing of heavenly deeds and hearing his message, were rejected for their failure to change their lives and really follow him.  

After Jesus rose from the dead he showed he was alive "by many proofs, appearing to them during 40 days and speaking about the kingdom of God." [Acts 1:3] The Apostles continued his message; note how the very last verse in Acts tells us that Paul was "proclaiming the kingdom of God and teaching about the Lord Jesus Christ with all boldness …" 

This message was an integral part of the Sermon on the Mount, "Blessed are the meek for they shall inherit the earth" [Matthew 5:5] The way the meek, i.e., the gentle minded, will inherit the earth is for Jesus to return and establish his kingdom on the earth. Many have a Bible, but are "blind" to what it means.

Those who decide to follow Jesus must have this purpose in their lives – of sharing his message of hope for our ever more troubled world. Let us not be attracted or distracted by the purpose-less pursuits of the world around us but, instead, show by what we say and do that we are following in his footsteps and have "this purpose" in our lives: and "this purpose" leads to a place in "the kingdom of God."

-------

- DC

14 March 2016

Leviticus 22

Psalms 125; 126; 127

Luke 5

"... TO THOSE WHO ARE UPRIGHT IN THEIR HEARTS"

It is said that the group of Psalms we are presently reading, which carry the introductory note, "A SONG OF ASCENTS" were sung by those going up to worship at the Temple in Jerusalem. While we cannot definitely say this was so, they appear to suit this purpose. We can see some comparisons for us as we prepare to remember our Lord each week.

Psalm 125 starts, "Those who trust in the LORD are like Mount Zion, which cannot be moved, but abides forever."  May we fully trust, removing all doubts from our minds, most of all when we are meeting together to remember our Lord, being able to "draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, with our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience." [Hebrews 10:22]

Psalm 125:4 in this Psalm is particularly meaningful - and 'thought challenging' for us! "Do good, O LORD, to those who are good, and to those who are upright in their hearts!" We saw today in the teaching of Jesus as recorded in Luke 6, "The good person out of the good treasure of his heart produces good, and the evil person out of his evil treasure produces evil, for out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks." [Luke 6:45] "Those who are upright in their hearts" have a precious treasure. There is very little of such "treasure" in our world today – instead, an abundance of the opposite!

Our next Psalm [Psalm 126] describes, to some degree, the joys to come in the kingdom for "those who are upright in their hearts!" In the kingdom such will say, "The LORD has done great things for us" [Psalm 126:3] 

We also meditated on Psalm 126:5, "Those who sow in tears shall reap with shouts of joy!" Such "joy" is truly the reward for all "who are upright in their hearts" and have an "abundance" in their hearts of the words of God, in contrast to the words of man - knowing there is no middle way. 

-------

- DC

15 March 2016

Leviticus 23

Psalms 128; 129; 130

Luke 6

"OUT OF THE DEPTHS ..."

Our Psalms and Luke readings today link together in encouraging us to think and live positively in a world that buffets us with false values. There are times when these greatly affect us and they threaten to be overwhelming. These Psalms provide us with encouragement should that be our experience.

Psalm 130 is an outstanding example: “Out of the depths I cry to you O LORD … be attentive to the voice of my pleas for mercy! If you, O LORD, should mark iniquities, O Lord, who could stand? But with you there is forgiveness, that you may be feared.” [Psalm 130:1-4]

Then the question arises, what counts as iniquities? In the days of Moses and ancient Israel the people would look to the 10 commandments; but Jesus, as we read in Luke 6 today describes Christ-like behaviour as being much more than avoiding bad behaviour like stealing and committing adultery.

Jesus taught, “But I say unto you who hear, Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you … “ [Luke 6:27,28] Then Jesus lays down what is often called ‘the golden rule’ saying, “as you wish that others would do to you, do so to them.” [Luke 6:31]

It has always been the greatest challenge to live as God requires. David knew this. Jesus came to spell it out in plain language – and live it - to set us an example. With gratitude we remember David’s words – and see his life as an example, especially for us, if we stumble off the narrow pathway that Jesus described [Matthew 7:14]. We therefore need more especially to remember David’s words that God is “feared” because with him “there is forgiveness.” He is not feared because he is an angry God, rather he is feared (‘held in the deepest reverence’ it means in this context – because he is a loving God). Tomorrow’s Psalm 131 is specifically by David. He writes, “O LORD, my heart is not lifted up … I have calmed and quieted my soul like a weaned child with its mother; like a weaned child is my soul within me.” [Psalm 131:1,2]

-------

- DC  

16 March 2016

Leviticus 24 

Psalms 131; 132; 133; 134 

Luke 7  

"FEAR SEIZED THEM ALL"

In today's chapter of Luke [Luke 7] several miracles of Jesus are recorded: the reaction to them varies considerably. We read how Jesus came "to a town called Nain, and his disciples and a great crowd went with him." [Luke 7:11] What an entourage! They had obviously witnessed remarkable things and this caused then to follow in expectation of more!

They came "near to the gate of the town" and a dead man "was being carried out, the only son of his mother, and she was a widow" and Jesus "had compassion on her and said to her, "Do not weep." [Luke 7:12-13] Then Jesus "touched the bier, and the bearers stood still. And he said, 'Young man, I say to you, arise.' And the dead man sat up ..." [Luke 7:14-15] 

This was the first time Jesus had brought a dead person back to life - and it says, "Fear seized them all" [Luke 7:16] What sort of fear? We see this as great awe, far more wonderful than his previously miracles, such as the healing of the Centurion's servant we read of at the start of the chapter. 

We see this as natural for human nature. But how unimaginably great will be the "fear" in the world soon, for, as we will read in Luke 21, with "Jerusalem" no longer being "trampled underfoot by the Gentiles ... the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled." [Luke 21:24] Increasingly we see, "distress of nations in perplexity ... people fainting with fear and with foreboding of what is coming on the world." [Luke 21:25-26] This "fear" can only increase.

Let us see Luke 21:28 as being spoken to us - so that we can be strong in faith - Jesus said, "when these things begin to take place, straighten up and raise your heads, because your redemption is drawing near."

-------

- DC

17 March 2016

Leviticus 25 

Psalms 135; 136 

Luke 8 

"... WE ARE PERISHING"

Our reading in Luke 8 today encourages us to continue yesterday's thoughts on "fear". We then saw "fear" in the sense of "awe" at the miracle of the "resurrection" by Jesus of a dead body that was being carried out for burial. Today we read in Luke 8 of how Jesus challenged his disciples, "Where is your faith?" [Luke 8:25]!  Surely, as eye witnesses of the remarkable and various healings Jesus was doing - their faith should have been really strong.

Consider the awesome situation the disciples found themselves in! They were in a boat on Galilee, their Master was asleep in it, but at least Peter and Andrew were experienced fishermen [Matthew 4:18-22] and had spent years fishing on the Lake. But it seems it was no ordinary storm that occurred! It is clear their faith was being tested! "…a windstorm came down on the lake, and they were filling with water and were in danger." [Luke 8:23] 

We wonder if no ordinary storm will soon come down on our world? Will our faith stand the test?

The disciples woke him crying out, "Master, Master, we are perishing!" Jesus "rebuked the wind and the raging waves, and they ceased, and there was a calm." Then Jesus said to them, "Where is your faith?" It had been put to the test - and they had failed the test - but Jesus was there to save them from perishing. 

Our world is developing "raging waves"! When we come to Luke 21 later this month we will read that when "the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled … there will be ... distress of nations in perplexity because of the roaring of the sea and the waves, people fainting with fear and with foreboding..." [Luke 21:24-26] They will be crying out "we are perishing"! Will we also do so?

We may be so stressed that we will say, or at least start to feel this way. But then will hear the voice of Jesus asking, "Where is your faith" – and then the angels appear to "gather his elect ... from the ends of the earth" [Mark 13:27] A final thought embrace in our hearts - the words of Paul we read early this month, "Be watchful, stand firm in the faith ... be strong" [1 Corinthians 16:13]

-------

- DC

18 March 2016

Leviticus 26 

Psalms 137; 138; 139 

Luke 9  

“YOU SEARCH OUT MY PATH”

"I remember searchlights as a boy.  Beams of light would sweep across the sky from near where I lived.  They were searching for enemy planes, if they found one they would lock on to it and the gunners would try to shoot it down. My wife Fran had gunners right near her house. 

We were reminded of this by our reading of Psalm 139 today. “Oh LORD you have searched me and known me!  You know when I sit down and when I rise up … you search out my path” [Psalm 139:1-3].  But David realizes that God’s power to “see” extends far beyond what we do physically.  We read, “you discern my thoughts from afar … even before a word is on my tongue …” [Psalm 139:4]  

In the language young people use today, they would describe as ‘awesome’  the thought that God knows our thoughts before we even put them into words.  That really is a searchlight on the mind.  We cannot limit the meaning to David personally. 

BUT there is even more than this in what David writes, it is a wonderful inspiration from God!  We read, “For you formed my inward parts, you knitted me together in my mother’s womb.  I praise you for I am fearfully and wonderfully made … your eyes saw my unformed substance.” [Psalm 139:13,14,16].

Today, clever men have unravelled some of the secrets of DNA and the human genome.  How remarkable that David was inspired to write this 3,000 years ago.

Finally, the word ‘SEARCH’ occurs again at the climax of the Psalm, "Search me O God, and know my heart, try me and know my thoughts … and lead me in the way everlasting." [Psalm 139:23-24]    

Would I, would you, want to sense God’s searchlight on your thoughts?  If the answer is “No” – then should it not also be ‘No’ - to the question as to whether we want to led by God in the way everlasting?  Food for the deepest thought.   

-------

- DC

19 March 2016

Leviticus 27 

Psalms 140; 141; 142 

Luke 10  

"... WITH ALL YOUR HEART" 

Jesus was asked by a lawyer, "Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?" [Luke 10:25] Jesus responded by asking him how he read what was written in the law, "How do you read it?" Interesting question "How" - not just "What"?  

The lawyer answers, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind, and your neighbour as yourself." [Luke 10:27]  

Moses, in the final message he relayed from the LORD before he died said, "return to the LORD your God, you and your children, and obey his voice in all that I command you today, with all your heart and with all your soul, then the LORD your God will restore your fortunes and have mercy on you, and he will gather you again from all the peoples where the LORD your God has scattered you." [Deuteronomy 30:2-3] 

Israel did this, to a large extent, when they entered the land under Joshua - but then their commitment faded. A lesson for us surely – and we look to see their fortunes restored – spiritually – not just materially. 

Back in Luke we see how the Lawyer "desiring to justify himself, said to Jesus, "And who is my neighbour?" Jesus tells him of "a man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and he fell among robbers, who stripped him and beat him and departed, leaving him half dead." [Luke 10:30]. He then tells how a Priest and a Levite passed by ignoring him, but a Samaritan came, "and when he saw him, he had compassion" [Luke 10:33] and greatly helped him. 

The lawyer is told, "You go, and do likewise." [Luke 10:37] to all such neighbours you see in trouble. Surely the same is said to us; but this would have a greater application more than a 100 years ago, at least in this country. Few are neighbourly today, they expect the Government to act and provide! 

But the greatest lesson in this teaching of Jesus is that we must "love the Lord your God with all your heart ..." Let us note the priority given to the attitude of our hearts. If that is right, all the rest will naturally follow.

-------

- DC

20 March 2016

Numbers 1

Psalms 143; 144

Luke 11  

"ASK AND IT WILL BE GIVEN"

It sounds too good to be true, "ask and it will be given you"! These were the words of Jesus we read today in Luke 11:9 This invitation was given after the Lord taught his disciples how to pray - in the familiar words of the Lord's Prayer. Immediately after this Jesus tells them a parable about a man who unexpectedly receives visitors at midnight and has nothing in his house to set before them. His solution! To go to his friendly neighbour and knock him up although he knows he and his family have gone to bed. 

The neighbour does not want to be disturbed, but the man persists and so he relents, so "he will rise and give him whatever he needs" [Luke 11:8]. This is the prelude to our opening quotation and leads us to perceive that Jesus is drawing a parallel between human attitudes toward helping those in real and urgent need and the more ready availability of God's help if we will but ask. 

Now the prayer he had just taught them included, "Give us each day our daily bread." That is not an abundance of bread, but bread sufficient for each day. In the environment of 2,000 years ago – as in many countries today – sufficient food for the day is not at all certain. The words of Jesus are not an invitation to ask for whatever you like – but for whatever you need, which is vastly different. 

Jesus proceeds to draw a parallel to parents providing the right kind of gifts for their children such as a fish or an egg. [Luke 11:11] He then says, "If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!" [Luke 11:13].  

Now in yesterday's chapter we read that Jesus sent out 72 disciples to preach and "heal the sick" [Luke 10:9]. So they had the Holy Spirit already: but is this what it means here? The Greek text does not have a definite article, so it is not "the" Holy Spirit! We see it being better understood as meaning - holiness of spirit or mind. This fits in with words in Hebrews 12, "he disciplines us for our good, that we may share his holiness" [Hebrews 12:10] and "Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord" [Hebrews 12:14] So what will you ask for? 

-------

- DC

21 March 2016

Numbers 2

Psalms 145; 146; 147

Luke 12 

"HIS GREATNESS IS UNSEARCHABLE"

We are coming to the end of reading the Psalms. David's perceptions and praise of God appears to reach ever greater proportions. Psalm 145 starts, "I will extol you, my God and King ... Every day I will bless you and praise your name ..." Let us start each day by saying a 'blessing' and thanksgiving to our God and his Son, our "king."  

Psalm 145:3 states, "Great is the LORD, and greatly to be praised, and his greatness is unsearchable." We recall David's Psalm we read earlier this month, "Blessed be the name of the LORD from this time forth and forevermore!  From the rising of the sun to its setting, the name of the LORD is to be praised! The LORD is high above all nations ..." [Psalm 113:2-4] Surely a vision of the kingdom when the whole world will be utterly astonished to recognise that "his greatness is unsearchable." 

Back in today's Psalm, Psalm 145:9 tells us "The LORD is good to all" but his goodness as well as his greatness in all that exists is not recognised today, the world has become totally blind. But the time is coming (How soon now?) when "They shall speak of the glory of your kingdom and tell of your power ..." Psalm 145:11] 

There was a degree of "glory" in David's kingdom which reached its' fullness when Solomon reigned. But surely Psalm 145:11-13 applies to the soon coming kingdom which will "make known to the children of men your mighty deeds, and the glorious splendour of your kingdom. Your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom ..."

Finally, in today's chapter in Luke's gospel [Luke 12], Jesus is recorded as saying, "Fear not, little flock, for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom ... Provide for yourselves ... treasure in the heavens ... where your treasure is, there will your heart be also ... Stay dressed for action ... waiting for (our) master to come home ... " [Luke 12:32-36] And when he does, then we will fully and wonderfully realise that "his (Father's) greatness is unsearchable."

-------

- DC

22 March 2016

Numbers 3 

Psalms 148; 149; 150 

Luke 13; 14 

"… AND WILL NOT BE ABLE"

Today's chapters in Luke are full of challenging parables. They challenge us to understand and act in a particular way. For a start we noted the response of Jesus when someone asked, "Lord, will those who are saved be few?" [Luke 13:23] The question leads Jesus to talk about the "narrow door" [Luke 13:24].  

We are reminded of another occasion when he spoke about the "narrow gate" [Matthew 7:13-14], and on that occasion he said, "the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few."  

Luke records Jesus as saying, "Strive to enter by the narrow door; for many, I tell you, will seek to enter and will not be able." [Luke 13:24] Why will they not be able? Why does God not make it wide and easy? Does he not want all people to be saved? If the answer is "Yes" – we must ask ourselves, "Saved - on whose terms?" Ours or God's? 

We may want to buy a house or a car? Who sets the terms? There is often negotiation. But salvation is so very different, a life changing difference! Jesus goes on to speak of a house, the door of which is "shut!" Many are knocking and "saying, Lord, open to us, then he will answer you, 'I do not know where you come from.' Then you will begin to say, 'We ate and drank in your presence, and you taught in our streets.'" [Luke 13:25]

They heard Jesus preach - we didn't – but we can say we read God's Bible regularly, and come together to share in a communion meal every week; surely can we ask for the right to come into this house? It is vital that we carefully note the next words of Jesus that he will say to some; "But he will say, 'I tell you I do not know where you come from.'" [Luke 13:26-27] He means by this that they never developed a relationship with him – and a relationship is a two way affair, an active day by day relationship.

In Luke 14, which we also read today, there is a parable about a great banquet where they reclined with Jesus at a meal table, and someone said, Blessed is everyone who will eat bread in the kingdom of God [Luke 14:15] Jesus then comments on those who had (to them) more important things to do in their lives than to come to God's banquet.  

Another parable in the chapter is about counting the cost of building a tower, it makes the vital point that it is no good building the foundation without first planning how you are going to complete the tower. So let us fully learn the vital lesson that following in the footsteps of the Master has to be undertaken with a heartfelt sense of a lifetime commitment to make sure we "will … be able" to complete the journey – and how close are we now to the end!?

-------

- DC

23 March 2016

Numbers 4

Proverbs 1

Luke 15 

"LET THE WISE HEAR AND …"

First we reflected on the detail in Numbers 4. It starts, "The LORD spoke to Moses and Aaron ..." We marvelled at how the great eternal Creator had planned out every detail of responsibility of those serving in the tabernacle. This was particularly necessary - and was very complex because of the long journey through the wilderness which was obviously not a desert because their extensive flocks would need sustenance. 

When we come to Numbers 33 we find listed all the places where they stopped - and then set out from. Add them up and it means they stayed at least a whole year (on average) in each place. Although it is not stated, it is probable they planted seed and reaped a harvest; how else would they sustain themselves! Was it always just on manna and quail? What of their flocks? Numbers 11:6 tells us that in the beginning they complained there was "nothing at all but this manna." As we read on next month let us look out for any clues that indicate a solution.

We then started reading the Proverbs - and one could fill a book grasping the meaning and lessons in the first chapter alone. Solomon's proverbs start, "To know wisdom and instruction, to understand words of insight" [Proverbs 1:2] We reflected on this - it is one thing to "know" something - but it is a vital further step to "understand" it; to have "insight" – that is, inward vision in our minds. 

We pondered Proverbs 1:5, "Let the wise hear and increase in learning". Today we can say, 'let the wise' read constantly and "increase in learning" and, as a result, "the one who understands obtain(s) guidance." This is the motive of learning. Gaining 'head knowledge' is just laying the foundation. This was the challenge to Israel in the wilderness - and it is to us - in the wilderness of this world!

Finally we came to Proverbs 1:7 which should be familiar to us! "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction." Most "fools" do not "despise" knowledge - our world has more "knowledge" that ever before! But what is the nature of this world's knowledge!? Wisdom is totally lacking!

May we be among "the wise" who "hear" (and read) and gain godly wisdom – and then "when distress and anguish come" [Proverbs 1:27] on our world, we "will call upon" (our Saviour) and he "will ... answer" [Proverbs 1:28] Let us make every effort to be among "the wise (who) hear" and read and "obtain guidance." 

-------

- DC

24 March 2016

Numbers 5 

Proverbs 2 

Luke 16  

"IF YOU RECEIVE MY WORDS"

Today we read what many consider to be the most personally thought challenging chapter in the book of Proverbs. Let us highlight the little word "if" and the context in which it occurs in the opening verses of Proverbs 2. 

It starts, "... if you receive my words and treasure up my commandments with you, making your ear attentive to wisdom and inclining your heart to understanding; yes, if you call out for insight and raise your voice for understanding, if you seek it like silver and search for it as for hidden treasures, then you will understand the fear of the LORD and find the knowledge of God."

Let us meditate on Solomon's sequence of thought here. We start by receiving the inspired word and making sure we "treasure" it. An essential part of achieving this is "making your ear attentive ... and inclining your heart ..." God's word abounds with wisdom - but are we genuinely "attentive" to it as we read it or hear it read? 

Proverbs 2:3-4 contain two more significant uses of that little word "IF" - We read, "if you call out for insight and raise your voice for understanding, if you seek it like silver and search for it as for hidden treasures …" 

Call out for insight? That means, develop an inward vision! The old A.V. uses the word 'discernment'! How good is the 'vision' in our minds/hearts to discern - and mentally embrace - what we discern? 

We should be searching for "hidden treasures" of meaning that our hearts can embrace - and meditate on! When we really succeed in doing this, Solomon says, "then you will understand the fear of the LORD and find the knowledge of God." [Proverbs 2:5] We will then "understand" what it is to fully appreciate what God must be - and grasp the full 'power' of what he has caused to be written and preserved so that we truly 'know' him and have a day by day meditative relationship with him for then we "will understand righteousness and justice and equity, every good path; for wisdom will come into your heart, and knowledge will be pleasant to your soul; discretion will watch over you, understanding will guard you …" [Proverbs 2:9-11] 

This is the wonderful outcome when we "receive" these inspired "words" and treasure them up in our hearts to put into practice every day as the occasion require – and sometimes – demands!. As a conclusion we will just add Solomon's words in Ecclesiastes 2:26, "to the one who pleases him God has given wisdom and knowledge and joy."

-------

- DC

25 March 2016

Numbers 6

Proverbs 3

Luke 17 

"LET YOUR HEART KEEP …"

Once again a key message for us in the Proverbs focuses our thoughts on the condition of our hearts and how good (or otherwise) our heart is in establishing and maintaining our relationship with our spiritual Creator - the Son. 

Today's chapter 3 starts, "My son (or daughter), do not forget my teaching, but let your heart keep my commandments." The reward for doing so is that "length of days and years of life and peace they will add to you." [Proverbs 3:2] This is followed by the advice to "Let not steadfast love and faithfulness forsake you; bind them around your neck; write them on the tablet of your heart." [Proverbs 3:3]

The spiritual equivalent of doing this is clear - as is the evidence of those Jews who just did this outwardly - and how lacking in spiritual perception they were! There is a sad parallel to this in life this very day - which the world still calls 'Good Friday' - but, in most cases, are ignorant of its original purpose and solemnity: and if they are not ignorant – hardly any appear to see a personal value in its meaning.

In Proverbs 3:5-6 - the condition of the heart again comes to the fore - "Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths." How difficult it is to maintain a straight path today – it is impossible to do so in our own strength.

We have heard the phrase 'half-hearted' - there is no place for this in the service of Christ! We all experience the temptation - as is the warning in the next verse – to be tempted to be "wise in your own eyes" – Those who yield to this temptation, do not heed the advice we will read in Proverbs 24:21. This tells us to "fear the LORD ... do not join with those who do otherwise." 

We are totally surrounded by "those who do otherwise." 

What a key little word "keep" is! We keep our most precious possessions as secure as we possibly can. In tomorrows' chapter [Proverbs 4] we will read, "Keep your heart with all vigilance, for from it flow the springs of life." [Proverbs 4:23] Finally let us accept the words of Jesus to his disciples, as words that are totally appropriate for us in these last days: "Watch and pray that you may not enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak" [Mark 14:38] – but if we can "keep" our "heart" we can overcome "the flesh."

-------

- DC