TFTD - February 2016

Resource Manager

01 February 2016

"The dangers of the world are always with us, and are far more subtle and penetrating than we recognize. Our strength is found in “sanctifying in our hearts Christ as Lord” (cf. 1 Peter 3:15, R.V.); then we may become, like him, both strong and meek, bold and yet reverent, fearless and yet full of fear. Then, while the “sword of the Spirit” must be ours, we may also hold aloft our lamp, letting our light so shine that men may see our good works, and glorify our Father which is in heaven."

- L.G. Sargent

The Sword and the Lamp (1960)

02 February 2016

"If we in our day are seeking the prize at the end of the race for eternal life we will be found following in the steps of the man Christ Jesus who has the water of life eternal (Revelation 22:17: see John 4:10-14). It may well be that we first had to have the ministrations of an Ananias [of Damascus] or a Simon Peter. Now, however, that we have found the way, let us not lose sight of the man bearing the pitcher of water of life, but follow him faithfully to the House of God."

- J.J. Morgan

Press Towards the Mark (1957)

03 February 2016

"Let us never forget “the Man in the boat” who has loved us to the uttermost and who has promised never to leave us or forsake us. Thus shall we survive every storm, bruised and battered at times it may be, but never broken: and thus at the last shall we find that haven of rest that remaineth for his people."

- W.W. Gillingham

Storm and Tempest ... and Calm (1975)

04 February 2016

"It is a mark of the honour given by God to His Son, that He has invited him to sit at the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in the heaven, "a minister of the sanctuary and the true tent which is set up not by man but by the Lord". In these terms does the writer to the Hebrews emphasise the greatness of the Lord Jesus, who became as much superior to the angels as the name he has obtained is more excellent than theirs. But to what angel has he ever said, "Sit at my right hand, till I make your enemies a stool for your feet?"

- Alfred Nicholls

Seated at God’s Right Hand (1980)

05 February 2016

"Let us remember that we are soldiers of Christ who wear his protective armour. The hope of salvation from sin and death protects our thinking; faith and love protect our hearts. So let us take up the sword of the Word of God, that Word which discerns the thoughts and intents of our hearts and with that defence we can overcome our trials and tribulations, and in the strength which God supplies we shall win the battle against sin in ourselves and in the world about us."

- Trevor A. Pritchard

Trial and Tribulation (1985)

06 February 2016 

"The authority of the people and the authority of God cannot co-exist. All things of God, and as little as possible of man, is a principle characteristic of the social state originating from heaven, in Eden, in Israel, and in the church. Decency and order can only be maintained by the authority divinely appointed and sustained by the wise and good. This cooperation suppressed turbulence, and put to silence the foolish talking of the wise in their own conceits, who thought more highly of themselves than they were entitled to."

- John Thomas 

Man in Society (1854)

07 February 2016

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish ... For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him" (John 3:16-17). We thank God that when He saw the faults He did not withdraw His love, and His way was to save what was soiled. God saw the broken lives and He is willing to touch and to heal. Knowledge puffs up, but love builds up. How to touch the unclean with a healing hand must be learnt in master class. It was the Master’s way."

- Philip Vyse

Practical Living (1990)

08 February 2016

"God’s love is seen in the Old Testament in parable and example. In the New it is seen in the person of His Son. When John recorded the saying, “God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life” (John 3:16) the sphere of His love is not confined to “the fathers” or even to Israel but it extends to the world. It is not limited to those who never fail or are faithless, but on the basis of faith is available to all. And when John recorded that God so loved the world, it does not only mean “so much” but “in this manner and to this extent”. God could give no more to redeem those who had strayed than that He did give, which was His all, His only begotten Son."

- Philip Hinde

The Attributes of God (1973)

09 February 2016

"The Lord is coming soon. We do not know how soon. What the Scripture says is that whenever he comes we must be ready for him. It is wondrous that God has shown confidence in us to call us to this work. Ours is the privilege of being asked to feel as He feels and to work with Him. But do we love Him enough to do it?"

- John S. Roberts

Our Responsibility to the World (1980)

10 February 2016

"The truth is that to the degree we seek God and His righteousness He will supply not only our physical needs and our mental desires but also our highest spiritual aspirations. "Trust in the LORD, and do good; so shall you dwell in the land, and truly you shall be fed. Delight yourself also in the LORD: and he shall give you the desires of your heart." (Psalm 37:3-4)."

- Claud Lamb

Last But Not Least (1985)

11 February 2016

"Just as, on a summer’s morn, the sun shines upon each droplet of dew and there are refracted from it all the colours of the rainbow, so shall we, if we are faithful, reflect the whole spectrum of the glory of God. And that will be perfection at last, and indeed."

- John Mitchell

Be Ye Perfect ... (1997)

12 February 2016

"Some who saw the work of Jesus said, "John did no miracle, but all the things John said about this man were true," and therefore believed. Like John, we do no miracle, but if our presentation of the Saviour in word and in deed is of such sincerity and earnestness that men see what we say about him is true, and determine to follow him on that account, we shall have caught some of the evangelizing spirit of him who stood so highly in the estimation of the Christ."

- F.E. Mitchell

The Voice (1944)

13 February 2016

"It might well be a mark of our own proper humility if we could firmly determine that we will acknowledge God, speak His language and unashamedly use His Book, as the lively oracles they are, that we may the more assuredly repel the voice of the tempter in the garden from which sinful man was expelled, and accept the voice of the Saviour in the Garden from which he emerged to die for our sins, according to the Scriptures, and say, "Not my will, but Yours, be done" (Luke 22:42)."

- Alfred Norris
Where Science and Religion Meet (1965)    

15 February 2016

"We want to be like that man Jesus. We would dare to hope that when at last our tiny characters are put into the projector of God’s Judgment, an image of Christ will be seen on the screen. Paul could say it clearly of himself. We say it in symbol as we take the emblems and ask the Lord to help us gradually to turn it into reality:

"I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ lives in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me." Galatians 2:20"

- L.W. Richardson

Sunday Morning (1971)

16 February 2016 

"... We ourselves should be, in the words of Peter, “looking for, and hasting unto the coming of the day of God ...” (1 Peter 3:12); or again, in the words of Paul, “... earnestly desiring to be clothed upon with our house which is from heaven”, that is, the immortal nature (2 Corinthians 5:2). We should find no answer to our longings other than divine event when “the creation itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God” (Romans 8:21)."

- B.C. Perryman

Words Spoken at a New Birth (1969)

17 February 2016

"... By God’s grace we also have chosen that same "one thing." Let us not be so careful and troubled about extraneous things that we let slip the essential things which are enjoyed by sitting and listening at Jesus’ feet. So shall we also keep our own "good part."

- F.E. Mitchell

Things (1961)

18 February 2016 

"We tend to forget that God’s emotional response to His children depends on the way they act towards Him. His deep pride in His Son was evident when Jesus was baptized: "You are my beloved Son; in you I am well pleased" (Luke 3:22). A reciprocal pride was also implied when Jesus said: "My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand. I and my Father are one." (John 10:29-30)."

- John Marshall

The God from Whom All Families Are Named (1979)

19 February 2016

"... The way however is a "narrow" one and only few find it. Jesus himself, who is to us the manifestation of God’s love, mercy, glory and righteousness, is also the manifestation of His ways. He is the only way to the Father: "I am the way, the truth and the life" he says (John 14:16); he has consecrated a new and living way into God’s presence through the veil, that is to say, his flesh (see Hebrews 10:20). We, therefore, follow him. To us, he is the manifestation of God’s presence in our wilderness journey."

- Wilfred Ali

The Way of Life (1970)

20 February 2016

"Many things in life lie outside our control. Jesus asked: "Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit to his stature?" We have to accept our personal characteristics. "We know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." The statement "in all things" is inclusive; it means we must accept, with willingness, when naturally we would resist."

- Philip Vyse

Practical Living (1990)

21 February 2016

"Christianity has an identity of hope and purpose with that of the Old Testament: it is the hope of Israel. This hope is centred in the promises which God made to Abraham and included both Jew and Gentile in their scope. They depended for their fulfilment on the coming of Messiah. In the same way, the royal promises made to king David relate to Christ who will be King on David’s throne in Jerusalem. In other words, there is not a great gulf fixed between the Old and New Testaments as though they were entirely different and irreconcilable worlds. Men of faith in both eras share the same basis of hope ..."

- Harry Tennant

The Christadelphians - What they Believe and Preach 

22 February 2016

"Patient longsuffering is essential if we are to understand the majestically unhurried tempo at which God works. "For a thousand years in your sight are but as yesterday when it is past, and as a watch in the night" (Psalm 90:4). Most good things grow slowly. As the oak from the acorn, as the child in the womb, neither can be hurried. They have their own tempo. It is no easy thing in a world in a hurry to be still and watchful like a sentry looking for the dawn with the ability to wait patiently. "Be you also patient; stablish your hearts: for the coming of the Lord draweth nigh" (James 5:8). The apostle’s advice is as valid in the twentieth century as in the first."

- Claud Lamb

The Fruit of the Spirit (1981)

23 February 2016

"... God does not choose or call us for any virtue of ours. It is because He loved us that He has done it. The Jews were in similar case, for God makes it clear to them (Deuteronomy 7:7-8) that it was not for any goodness or virtue they possessed, but because He loved them that they were called ... having responded in faith, our belief and baptism declare us to be called and chosen of God. If that is so, then the only event which can stop us from attaining eternal life is our own faithlessness. “If God be for us, who can be against us?” (Romans 8:31)."

- J.M. Parker

Calling and Election (1965)

24 February 2016

"There is a quality of joy which can come on receiving the Word of God which is only a human quality, shortlived and unable to endure temptations. True joy based on the Word of God is not that of academic discovery but that of deep spiritual enlightenment, and will be strengthened and fulfilled through temptations, trials and even anguish."

- Phil Pearson

Joy in the Lord (1986)

25 February 2016

"The first church would not have gone far with our spirits! While pagans laughed at the suffering church and the mighty fist of Rome smashed into the efforts of that early band, an exiled saint in Patmos wrote down the Word of God. With triumph and a flourish he writes out his faith: “Hallelujah, Babylon is fallen. Come out of her, my people!” How can a man in such a case write like that? Because he knows that behind the blood and smoke and gloating men, is something that men of pride can never behold: a purpose, a power, a glory which spells the end of the power-mad, sin-ridden, kingdoms of men—"A kingdom which cannot be moved."

- Charles Mason

If God Be For Us ... (1967)