TFTBR - February 2016

Resource Manager

26 February 2016 

Exodus 39; 40

Psalms 102

1 Corinthians 10 

“DO ALL TO THE GLORY OF GOD”                                                                                                        

Paul tells the believers in Corinth most, if not all had been idol worshippers that “whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.” [1 Corinthians 10:31]  Try to “give no offence” [1 Corinthians 10:32] he tells them. And what is Paul’s aim? “I try to please everyone in everything I do, not seeking my own advantage, but that of many, that they may be saved. Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ.” (the last verse of 1 Corinthians 10 and the first of 1 Corinthians 11)

We must never seek “glory” or any prestige for ourselves – but this is the opposite to all the attitudes we see around us today with its’ total focus on the present and many live for any “glory” it can bring them. 

Wonderfully our Psalm 102 we also read today puts human live in perspective. The Psalmist has been humbled in some way, he says that God “has broken my strength in midcourse; he has shortened my days.” [Psalm 102:23] His prayer is “O my God …  "take me not away in the midst of my days …” [Psalm 102:24] The Psalmist sees what we might call, ‘the big picture’ of all that exists – so few see this in the non-stop swirl of living today! Do we see it enough?  

He says, “Of old you laid the foundation of the earth, and the heavens are the work of your hands.  They will perish, but you will remain; they will all wear out like a garment ...” [Psalm 102:25-26]  This world is ‘wearing out’ nearly all are blind “to the glory of God”  May we, in increasing contrast, live our lives so that “whatever (we) do” we “do all to the glory of God.”  We are reading the final chapters in Exodus and see how the people teamed together to make a wonderful tabernacle as the Centre of their devotions to the one true God who had wondrously delivered them from Egypt.  We know what failed!  We are going to read of their failure to remain faithful to “the glory of God” which they had witnessed in their deliverance from Egypt. 

It is vital that we read then – and learn from them!  Paul made the vital point, “…whatever was written in former days was written for our instruction, that through endurance and through the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.” [Romans 15:4] And the centre of that hope – is to be there when “the glory of God” is evident to the entire world.  

-------

- DC

27 February 2016

Leviticus 1; 2

Psalms 103

1 Corinthians 11 

"THOSE WHO FEAR HIM" 

The phrase "those who fear him" - that is, those who fear God, occurs three times in our Psalm reading today. The sense of  "fear" means, to be in heartfelt awe of what God must be. This is a Psalm that should reach into our hearts; it is particularly meaningful to those who think that God has cut off their contact with him because of their behaviour.

This Psalm of David tells us to "Bless the LORD, O my soul and forget not all his benefits, who forgives all your iniquity, who heals all your diseases … who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy" [Psalm 103:2-4]

David continues, "The LORD is merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love … he does not deal with us according to our sins" [Psalm 103:8,10]. Psalm 103:11 is where there is the first reference to fear. We read, "For as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his steadfast love toward those who fear him." 

Two verses further on we read, "As a father shows compassion to his children, so the LORD shows compassion to those who fear him." 

The point is made yet a third time, "the steadfast love of the LORD is from everlasting to everlasting on those who fear him" [Psalm 103:17]. God's steadfast love, compassion, mercy and forgiveness is not for everybody and anybody – it is for – those who have the right attitude toward him.  

The Apostle John wrote, "We love because he first loved us." [1 John. 4:19]  

God has always had this attitude to us, who made us "in his own image" [Genesis 9:6], and it is awesome to meditate on the fullness of what this means! This will surely be "seen" in the kingdom. Do most who say they believe in God really fear him? Do any? How many take his benefits, forgiveness, mercy and love for granted!  Do we?

Our Corinthians reading illustrates the wrong attitudes among many believers there: they came together to remember Christ in the way he requested at the last supper. But Paul tells them, "anyone who eats and drinks without discerning the body eats and drinks judgement on himself, that is why many of you are weak and ill … when we are judged by the Lord, we are disciplined so that we may not be condemned along with the world." [1 Corinthians 11:29,30,32] 

So many in Corinth had no fear and awe of God, the result was a wrong attitude. These are all lessons for us to appreciate as we seek "all his benefits" and try to be true children of God and so be among "those who fear him."

-------

- DC

28 February 2016

Leviticus 3; 4

Psalms 104

1 Corinthians 12; 13 

"IN WISDOM YOU HAVE MADE THEM ALL"

In today's Psalm [Psalm 104] we read, "O LORD, how manifold are your works! In wisdom you have made them all; the earth is full of your creatures." [Psalm 104:24] Today, as naturalists and others explore more of the earth, they are discovering more and more living things they never knew existed.

It has long been acknowledged that there is an incredible interdependence in nature – what a totally wonderful architect is the Creator! He created innumerable things, trees, plants, animals, insects, birds, etc. They are interdependent in a whole variety of ways, yet human beings, especially the "western" mind, in discovering more and more of this, is more determined than ever to say (or write) that it is all the result of blind chance. But the God-fearing person has no doubt God is the Master Creator behind it all, even the adaptability within species, which men used to call micro-evolution, is part of his overseeing handiwork.

So we see God in his "wisdom" has "made them all". What kind of "wisdom" is this? We immediately thought of David's Psalm 139 as he meditated on God's all seeing eyes; "such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high; I cannot attain it." [Psalm 139:6]. Yet the modern God-disbelieving mind refuses in his pride to see the situation from this perspective.

When we come to Psalm 111 we will read, "Great are the works of the LORD,studied by all who delight in them. Full of splendour and majesty is his work … the fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom; all those who practice it have a good understanding." [Psalm 111:2,3,10]

Solomon in Proverbs says, "The LORD by wisdom founded the earth; by understanding he established the heavens. [Proverbs 3:19]

Finally our thoughts went to the epistle of James, "Who is wise and understanding among you? By his good conduct let him show his works in the meekness of wisdom … the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits …" [James 3:13,17] Those who seek - and develop - this wisdom will one day realize the full abundance of God's creative wisdom - for they will then be "equal to angels." [Luke 20:36].

-------

- DC

29 February 2016

"FAITH, HOPE AND LOVE ABIDE ..."

No readings are set down for today – so we reflected on yesterday's Leviticus chapter and how it was all about dealing with sins done – unintentionally! Today there is no excuse – because God's word is freely available to all. But perhaps we should say there is say less excuse. We considered how the words of David's in Psalm 19 contain lovely "food" for our thought and meditation; let's start reading from Psalm 19:7.

The law (word) of the LORD is perfect, reviving the soul; the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple; the precepts of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart; the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes; the fear of the LORD is clean, enduring forever; the rules of the LORD are true, and righteous altogether. More to be desired are they than gold, even much fine gold; sweeter also than honey and drippings of the honeycomb. Moreover, by them is your servant warned; in keeping them there is great reward. Who can discern his errors? Declare me innocent from hidden faults.  

So let us "feed" our minds on God's word every day and "discern" – with an honest heart – the path we are treading – it is so essential to do this – because it is the "narrow" way. 

The other reflection we had arose from that "heart searching" in 1 Corinthians 13 which we also read yesterday. This details the things which "abide." Paul ends this chapter by declaring, "faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love." 

This led us to reflect on Christ's return and the kingdom established – and when that happens - hope and faith are turned to sight! So only "love" abides. Let us all meditate on the wonder of fully embracing the spirit of love in our hearts now - and the fullness of the points Paul unfolds in 1 Corinthians 13:7-8

Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends. 

-------

- DC