TFTBR - January 2016

Resource Manager

01 January 2016

Genesis 1; 2

Psalms 1; 2

Matthew 1; 2

"THE LORD KNOWS ..."                                                                                                                        

What does the LORD know?  Again and again Scripture makes the point that the Creator is aware of all things “for the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous, and his ears are open to their prayer” as we read in 1 Peter 3:12 last month: but Peter was quoting from Psalm 34 which we will soon read. 

The very first Psalm, which we read today, sees David affirming, “For the LORD knows the way of the righteous” [Psalm 1:6] – in contrast “ … the way of the wicked will perish.”   They will perish because  they do not know, do not want to know in any detail, the ways of God or even that he exists – but there is no middle way.

The Psalms are very stimulating to the spiritual mind, we often feel it is a pity that they are all read in the first 3 months of the year.   We learn of God’s ways; Psalm 18 tells us, “This God – his way is perfect; the word of the LORD proves true; he is a shield for all those who take refuge in him.” [Psalm 18:30]  How much may we need a true faith that that “shield” exists during 2016!?

The way of the righteous is wonderfully described in the first 2 verses of the very first Psalm – which we read this morning. “Blessed is the man (mg. ‘godly person’) who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers; but his delight is in the law (mg: instruction)  of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night.” [Psalm 1:1-2]

David is marking the stepping stones of progress in overcoming ungodly ways.  First, he or she walks past such ways, then there is no chance to stop and look at such ways, still less to sit down and share a seat with them.

The result is that - those pursuing the way of righteousness are – David says in Psalm 1 - “like a tree planted by streams of water … in all that he (or she) does” [Psalm 1:3] they prosper – especially spiritually – and – “even though” they, like David, may have times when they “walk through the valley of the shadow of death”, they will say in faith, “I will fear no evil, for you are with me …” [Psalm 23:4] 

David’s son Solomon absorbed his father’s words, in Proverbs 15:9 he makes the point, “The way of the wicked is an abomination to the LORD, but he loves him who pursues righteousness.” 

May we all read and meditate on God’s word throughout 2016 –  knowing, i.e., being absolutely convinced that the LORD is with us - because “the LORD knows the way of the righteous.” 

-------

- DC

02 January 2016

Genesis 3, 4

Psalm 3, 5

Matthew 3, 4

"THE LORD HAS SET APART THE GODLY ..."

David is described by "the LORD" as "a man after his own heart" [1 Samuel 13:14].  This is so evident in his Psalm! In Psalm 4 today we read the words God inspired in him - to observe that we should, "know that the LORD has set apart the godly for himself" David then adds, "the LORD hears when I call to him." [Psalm 4:3]

David is not surrounded by godly men, we remember his friction with his brothers in Bethlehem, it can be the same with us in our evermore ungodly world.   

This Psalm starts with a prayer. "Answer me when I call, O God of my righteousness! You have given me relief when I was in distress. Be gracious to me and hear my prayer!"  

David attracted God-seeking followers to him: on one occasion some were prepared to risk their lives unbidden to bring him water from the well at Bethlehem. [2 Samuel 23:15-16)  In this Psalm he observes that "there are many who say, "Who will show us some good?" [Psalm 4:6] And we can say the same today - especially when we listen or watch the world news which constantly abounds with reports of evil happenings.

Those who truly believe in God and his Son can - and should - echo - in their hearts - the way in which David concludes this Psalm,  "In peace I will both lie down and sleep; for you alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety."

Let us live with ever greater conviction that  we are "on the LORD's side" [Exodus 32:26] and we are among "the godly" "the LORD has set apart" for himself - knowing this will be really evident when our Lord "comes from afar, burning with his anger ... to sift the nations" but the "godly" whom "the LORD has set apart" –  they "shall have a song as in the night when a holy feast is kept, and gladness of heart" (see Isaiah 30:27-29).

-------

- DC

03 January 2016

Genesis 5, 6

Psalm 6, 8

Matthew 5

“BLESSED ARE THE …”

Today’s chapter - Matthew 5 - is one of the most well known in the whole Bible; well, the first 12 verses anyway.  These contain a list of 9 circumstances in which one should feel and count as a blessing.  None of the 9 circumstances are remotely like those which people count as blessings today.  They would use words like lucky or fortunate in talking about what they see as blessings, such as winning a lottery.  Does it seem surprising that neither of those 2 words appear in the Bible!?  

The word BEATITUDE is used by the church to describe a condition of blessedness, that’s what the word means.  The first blessed condition [Matthew 5:3] is to be ‘poor in spirit’  This is understood as a humble or lowly attitude, the opposite of being proud in spirit.  The New English Bible puts it in an interesting way -  ‘How blest are those who know their need of God’ 

The next one is a hard saying for many to come to terms with!  “Blessed are those who mourn”!  But remember the lesson we saw in reading the book of Job. His misfortunes led him to seek and know God as he had never done before!  If we go through life with no troubles, are we motivated to really seek a relationship with God?  

If you are simply taught about God, and reason out that he must exist, that attitude is simply laying a foundation that has be built upon. The next one is “Blessed are the meek” – this is the very opposite of being aggressive. 

But what we have not yet emphasized is that with each of these present situations that is seen as a blessing, comes the promise of a future.  In the case of the meek – “they shall inherit the earth”  The is no promise of a place in heaven, it is a heavenly reward on earth.  

It is very rewarding to read and carefully reflect on these states of blessedness and our own relationship to them.  May we all give careful thought to the other six – on this first Sunday of 2016, which shows every indication of being a momentous one in the unfolding plan and purpose of God.

-------

- DC

04 January 2016

Genesis 7; 8

Psalms 9; 10

Matthew 6  

"LAY UP … TREASURES IN HEAVEN"                                                                          

That’s impossible – in a literal sense!  But what sort of treasures was Jesus talking about when he said, “Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven…” [Matthew 6:19-20].   Jesus goes on to say, “For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” [Matthew 6:21]    How can your heart be in heaven? 

Some love to hear songs about individual’s stealing hearts – meaning affections.  Jesus is talking about where your affections are focussed.  Jesus “mines” some of his sayings from the book of Proverbs:  for example there is the proverb which reads, “Keep your heart with all vigilance, for from it flow the springs of life.” [Proverbs 4:23]  A spring is the source of pure water, often bottled water on sale is said to be spring water.  

How vital to keep the thoughts of our hearts pure!  Another proverb says, “Like a muddied spring or a polluted fountain is a righteous person who gives way before the wicked.” [Proverbs 25:26]  Tragically there are many muddied springs and polluted fountains around these days, never has it been more vital – and challenging - indeed difficult - to keep our minds clean.

Paul wrote to the Ephesians that “Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her, that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of the water with the word” [Ephesians 5:25-26]  Think carefully about the point he is making.   Jesus loves those who become believers in him.  His sacrifice was made not only for the forgiveness of the sins of those who truly believe and are baptised – but also to inspire them to become clean in their minds by making constant use of the “word” his Father has inspired men of faith to write – and to be preserved. 

There is a lifetime of steps to follow in walking in the footsteps of Christ. These inspired words provide, what we might call, the washing powder, that will keep the hearts of believers from becoming polluted; lets’ use it every day. How thought provoking and stimulating are the Psalms we are now reading (and will be for many weeks). 

A final thought on “treasures in heaven.”  Did you notice when we read the final chapter of Revelation last week that in the last chapter Jesus said, “Behold I am coming soon, bringing my recompense (reward) with me to repay everyone for what they have done” [Revelation 22:12]  We do not go to heaven to claim our treasure and reward, Jesus will bring it to us when he comes – and the way the world is now – that could be very “soon.”  Make sure you have laid up treasures in heaven that he can and will surely bring.   

-------

- DC

05 January 2016

Genesis 9; 10

Psalms 11; 12; 13

Matthew 7 

“IF THE FOUNDATIONS ARE DESTROYED” 

The Psalms of David, words he crafted under inspiration out of all the challenges he faced, are often meditations on his relationship with God - and reveal what a totally committed relationship it was. This commitment was supremely evident when he went forth to face Goliath. 

David’s words, are the outcome of a mind of dedicated perceptions of God  in action. They are an inspiration for us today as the overflowing spirit of godlessness that surrounds us can, at times, threaten to mentally suffocate us.  Psalm 11 starts, “In the LORD I take refuge" and David proceeds to pose the question, "... if the foundations are destroyed, what can the righteous do?" [Psalm 11:3] 

To a large extent the spiritual foundations that the world, especially the western world, have built up over the many generations since the Bible was first printed some 450 years ago, have been destroyed in recent years.  David's answer to his question - is equally the answer we seek today: let us meditate on the answer he found.  "... the LORD's throne is in heaven; his eyes see, his eyelids test the children of man.  The LORD tests the righteous, but his soul hates the wicked and the one who loves violence." [Psalm 11:4-5]

The conclusion of David's inspired prayer of petition may well have an ultimate application to our days. It was that God will  "... rain coals on the wicked; fire and sulfur and a scorching wind ..." [Psalm 11:6] 

In contrast, we embrace into our hearts David’s conclusion to his Psalm.  He declares, "For the LORD is righteous; he loves righteous deeds; the upright shall behold his face." 

What a wondrous blessing to be among the upright - for the first verse of the next Psalm is becoming more true than ever! "Save, O LORD, for … the faithful have vanished from among the children of man." As a result - today - "the foundations are" close to being "destroyed"   

Our thoughts go to the concluding words of Hebrews 12 we reflected on a month ago, "Yet once more I will shake not only the earth but also the heavens ... in order that the things that cannot be shaken may remain.  Therefore let us be grateful for receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, and thus let us offer to God acceptable worship, with reverence and awe, for our God is a consuming fire."   

-------

- DC

06 January 2016

Genesis 11; 12

Psalm 14; 15; 16

Matthew 8  

"NOTHING ... WILL NOW BE IMPOSSIBLE"

In our Genesis reading we have the account of the re-population of the earth after the flood.  Multiple lines of descent from the sons of Noah are named.  Genesis 11 starts, “Now the whole earth had one language and the same words." They build a city and "its name was called Babel" [Genesis 11:9] and it is of considerable interest that this word, when translated into Greek, becomes, Babylon - and we contemplate its occurrence in Revelation! 

Genesis 11:6 records how "the LORD said, "Behold, they are one people, and they have all one language, and this is only the beginning of what they will do. And nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them."  To prevent this multiple languages are introduced "so that they may not understand one another's speech." [Genesis 11:7] 

We can envisage that each husband and wife were given their own language - and migrated far and wide to different parts of the earth.  Let's reflect on the God-given reason for this and, most of all, how modern technology has overcome translation barriers during our generation!   We are again in a situation - from the Creator's perspective - where "nothing ...  will now be impossible for them" - as modern nations share their technological advances and inventions.  It is interesting,  that Israel (largely godless and atheistic) is in the forefront of this - so it is now time for the Creator to take the most dramatic action since the time of Noah!   

We read last week in Revelation of the fall of the latter day Babylon (Babel!)  This "fall" describes what is to happen to today's Babel. An angel "called out with a mighty voice, "Fallen, fallen is Babylon the great!" [Revelation 18:2] Those "who … lived in luxury with her, will weep and wail over her...' Alas! Alas! You great city, you mighty city, Babylon! For in a single hour your judgment has come.'  And the merchants of the earth weep and mourn ..." [Revelation 18:9-11]  They are in distress because " all who had ships at sea (and in the air)  grew rich by her wealth! For in a single hour she has been laid waste." [Revelation 18:19]

Those whose 'God' is based on the 'riches' of this world will weep, but the next verses are for us and tell us, "Rejoice over her ...  you saints ... for God has given judgment for you against her!" And the angel proclaims, " "So will Babylon the great city be thrown down with violence, and will be found no more" [Revelation 18:21].  

How appropriate, indeed fascinating, are the words of David we read today: first in Psalm 12, in describing our time when "the wicked prowl, as vileness is exalted among the children of man." [Psalm 12:8] and how this will come to a dramatic end!  

Those who know that  "the words of the LORD are pure words" [Psalm 12:6] will echo David's prayer, "You, O LORD ... will guard us from this generation forever." [Psalm 12:7]  Then in Psalm 14, “The LORD looks down … to see if there are any who understand, who seek after God” [Psalm 14:2], but “they have all turned aside” [Psalm 14:3] and as a result there will be a time when “they are in great terror.”  But “God is with the generation of the righteous.” [Psalm 14:5] May we be in that generation. 

-------

- DC

07 January 2016

Genesis 13; 14

Psalms 17

Matthew 9 

"MY STEPS HAVE HELD FAST”

We continue to be inspired by the faith and commitment of David.  Psalm 17 today, which is clearly a heart-felt prayer,  begins with the plea. "Hear a just cause, O LORD; attend to my cry! Give ear to my prayer from lips free of deceit!"  Can we use his words as our own prayer?  Would his words be true of our attitude of mind?  

His prayer continues, "You have tried my heart ... you have tested me ..." [Psalm 17:3]    David declares to God, "you will find nothing" for he has " lips free of deceit." 

Can we personally sense situations in which he has tested us?   Can we declare, as David did, "My steps have held fast to your paths; my feet have not slipped." [Psalm 17:5]   God's paths are set out for us in his word, we have just read the teachings of His Son - "on the mount" to his disciples.  We are also reading of the faith of Abraham - shining as a light in a dark place, noting how his choices in life were better than his nephew Lot - and we read today in Genesis 14 - and how he had to rescue him.

David pleads, in today's Psalm, " keep me as the apple of your eye; hide me in the shadow of your wings,  from the wicked ..." [Psalm 17:8-9] How inspiring - for our own faith, if we can take David's words fully to heart - especially his concluding words in this Psalm. "Deliver my soul from the wicked ...  from men of the world whose portion is in this life ... I shall behold your face in righteousness; when I awake, I shall be satisfied with your likeness."

How long now before David awakes, together with all those who have developed genuine convictions of belief as a sure foundation to lives that show their faith - so that they - with David - will behold God’s "face in righteousness" because they can say, with David, "My steps have held fast to your paths"  

David, and all those God counts faithful who are asleep in the graves, have, in a sense, moved into God’s time!  When we come to Psalm 90 we will see how David declares, “For a thousand years in your sight are but as yesterday when it is past” [Psalm 90:4]   

With this foundation of belief and resultant faith which we show (to God) in our lives each day, may we all say, "My steps have held fast to your paths”

-------

- DC

08 January 2016

Genesis 15; 16

Psalms 18

Matthew 10 

“THE CLEANNESS OF MY HANDS”

Psalm 18 is a major psalm of David, we meditate on his words in surveying all the ways in which the LORD had been overseeing his life.  God is his rock, his place of refuge [Psalm 18:2].  He writes that the LORD has dealt with him according to his righteousness, stating, “according to the cleanness of my hands he rewarded me” [Psalm 18:20]  

This causes us to meditate upon what we might call, the cause and effect principle in our relationship with God.  We have observed more than once that difficulties can enter a person’s life, although he or she does not, in effect, deserved it.  Job’s life is a classic case, but there are many other examples.  David himself experienced this after he had slain Goliath and was exalted in the sight of the nation – but then suffered much trouble because of the jealousy of Saul. 

So what did David mean when he wrote that the Lord rewarded me because of “the cleanness of my hands” ?  This perception of David is so significant that he repeats it, and notice the context, “I was blameless before him and I kept myself from my guilt. So the LORD has rewarded me according to my righteousness, according to the cleanness of my hands in his sight.” [Psalm 18:23-24]. 

There is a present tense here, the reward has been received.  We tend to look to the future as the time of reward, as we read last week in Revelation 22:12 about how Jesus, at his return, will reward (repay) everyone for what they have done.

So David, despite all the troubles Saul created for him, as the introduction to this Psalm comments, is extremely conscious of the present reward of God’s guiding care. “With the merciful you show yourself merciful … but the haughty eyes you bring down” [Psalm 18:25,27]  “The word of the LORD proves true; he is a shield for all those who take refuge in him” [Psalm 18:30]  

When he says of God “you equipped me with strength for the battle” [Psalm 18:39]; true followers of Christ can see this as meaning a different kind of battle.  The Apostle Paul says “we are not waging war according to the flesh … We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God and take every (human) thought captive to obey Christ” [2 Corinthians 10:3,5].  There are many “lofty opinions” in circulation today. 

Our regular meditative reading of the Bible is an essential ingredient in each of our lives to enable God and Christ to work in us to achieve this present reward – we start by taking “every thought captive to obey Christ.” 

-------

- DC 

09 January 2016

Genesis 17; 18

Psalms 19; 20; 21

Matthew 11 

"WISDOM IS JUSTIFIED BY HER DEEDS"

What kind of "wisdom" is to be seen in the world today?  Wisdom is quite a contrast to "knowledge" - sometimes a total contrast. What a fascinating set of chapters we have to read - they illustrate the right kind of wisdom - heavenly wisdom, a wisdom that can be ours - if we will absorb them into our thinking.

This line of thinking was prompted by the words of Jesus in Matthew 11 - about the attitudes of the people that surrounded him. Jesus asked, "But to what shall I compare this generation?" [Matthew 11:15-16]   That generation had rejected John the Baptist and was going to reject Jesus.  Their rejection has clear parallels with the rejection of God's word today.

"For John came," says Jesus, "neither eating nor drinking, and they say, 'He has a demon.''  In contrast, "The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Look at him!  A glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners!'" [Matthew 11:18,19]  How 'blind' the human mind has been - in every generation.  Today it is totally blind to the wonders of Creation - and therefore - of the Creator!

After his observations on all the negative attitudes towards John and himself Jesus declares that this "wisdom is justified by her deeds" [Matthew 11:19] "Deeds" could be translated as "children" as in some versions do this - meaning – this is what this kind of wisdom produces.  We see this "wisdom" increasingly flooding the world today – indeed, we caould say it is drowning in it! 

For some positive thoughts we turn, first to Genesis 17.  Here we read of the promise God made to Abraham  "I will give to you and to your offspring after you the land of your sojourning's, all the land of Canaan, for an everlasting possession, and I will be their God." [Genesis 17:8]  That promise appears to be nearing its' final stage toward fulfilment - in our lifetime! 

Our final thought is from our Psalms reading – it is positive - and inspiring!  Psalm 20 "May the LORD answer you in the day of trouble! ... May he send you help ... May he grant you your heart's desire ... May we shout for joy over your salvation"  [Psalm 20:1,2,4,5]   We can add - with this "wisdom" and expectation in our hearts and minds we must all make this our prayer today - and in all coming days - echoing the final words of David in this Psalm,  "May he answer us when we call."

-------

- DC

10 January 2016

Genesis 19

Psalms 22

Matthew 12 

"MY GOD, WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN ME"                                                                                          

Our Psalms reading today [Psalm 22] begin with the last words Jesus utters on the cross, “My God, why have you forsaken me.”  This is a Psalm of David and must reflect an experience of his when he was in deep depression – very probably at some stage when he was being pursued by Saul and his henchmen and forced to hide in the wilderness. 

It is not difficult to have some appreciation of this desperate prayer of David.  After going forth so valiantly against Goliath and then being so successful that the people could sing, “Saul has struck down his thousands and David his ten thousands” [1 Samuel 18:7] suddenly David’s situation changes.  Now he is hiding in caves, Saul is seeking clues as to where he might me, does David have any friends?  Some who learn where he is report this to Saul. [1 Samuel 23:19; 1 Samuel 24:1] Today’s Psalm expresses how David was feeling; it was a natural reaction for him to pray, “My God, why have you forsaken me.”

He goes on to write, “O my God, I cry by day, but you do not answer, and by night, but I find no rest.” [Psalm 22:2]   It is natural from our human perspective that we should think in terms of cause and effect – but God sees the bigger picture, the larger perspective of spiritual training such as when Jesus was “led up by the spirit into the wilderness to be tempted (tested)” as we read last week in Matthew 4:1

What is very instructive for us about this - and several other Psalms - is how, after starting with desperate questions in a spirit of depression his words in this Psalm then move forward to perceive, what we might call, the “bigger picture.”  Yet David’s life in some of his experiences was a prophecy of what happened to Jesus.  David, in fleeing, left clothing behind and he notes “they divide my garments among them, and for my clothing they cast lots.” [Psalm 22:18]  An event which was to repeat itself in the life of Jesus. 

Then David’s thoughts move on to think positively and he tells God, “I will tell of your name to my brothers, in the midst of the congregation I will praise you.” [Psalm 22:22]  

Finally this Psalm comes a greater and more far reaching vision of the future., “All the ends of the end shall remember and turn to the LORD, and all the families of the nations shall worship before you.” [Psalm 22:27]   We should take a valuable lesson from David in this progression into positive thought, especially when we feel depressed. 

-------

- DC

11 January 2016

Genesis 20; 21

Psalms 23; 24; 25

Matthew 13 

“THE LORD IS MY SHEPHERD"

Today we read the most familiar of all the Psalms, but the things that become really familiar can lose the intensity and wonder of  their meaning for us - in our hearts.  May the Lord become truly the shepherd of each one of us - our guide in life - then we will never be in want of the things that really matter - eternally - saying, with David, "Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me ..." [Psalm 23:4]

David in his "walk" had many times of walking in the valleys when the threat of death surrounded him: but the LORD was truly his shepherd that is why he could confidently declare to Goliath, the Philistine, "I come to you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel …” [1 Samuel 17:45]

The world is full of Philistines today - and there are many ‘Goliaths' they follow - those who see themselves as intellectual or financial giants!  But all such, in God's eyes, as David expresses it in Psalm 103, "... are dust.  As for man, his days are like grass; he flourishes like a flower of the field;   for the wind passes over it, and it is gone, and its place knows it no more." [Psalm 103:14-16]  But let David's next words' in this Psalm inspire us - "But the steadfast love of the LORD is from everlasting to everlasting on those who fear him ..."  Not just believe in him – but are in awe of him!

Back in Psalm 23 we meditate on the 'role' of a "shepherd" and the spiritual application David describes, "The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.  He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters.   He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness ...."  

If Jesus is truly our shepherd - does that mean we have never had times of "want"?   We ponder this question - if we have truly followed the shepherd's leading and clearly hear his voice - then we will never be in "want" of the things that really matter. Jesus said, "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me." [John 10:27]

Earlier he said, " ... he calls his own sheep by name and leads them ..." [John 10:3] We have the "voice:" of Jesus - and of his Father - in our hands!  When?  Every day - surely!  Let us re-double our efforts at hearing the ‘calling’ God’s word provides - then we can say with David - as he ends this Psalm, "... my cup overflows. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD forever".

-------

- DC

12 January 2016

Genesis 22; 23

Psalms 26; 27; 28

Matthew 14 

"COUNTED ... TO HIM FOR RIGHTEOUSNESS"

Today we have read that significant chapter in Genesis [Genesis 22] in which Abraham obeys the LORD by being prepared – without hesitation – to offer his son Isaac as a sacrifice.   The progressive tests of faith which Abraham “passed” resulted in ever greater promises being made to him.  

Remember the very first promise God made to him was “I will make of you a great nation” [Genesis 12:3] and “in you all the families of the earth will be blessed.”  They started as families and developed into nations.  Abraham lived at a time when they lived for a longer time than now; some family groups would have been extensive.  

It was not until Abraham had shown his faith by leaving all behind to travel to an unknown land that God extended his promise to include his “offspring” [Genesis 12:7]   Then, after he has built an altar to the LORD and travelled to Egypt and back gaining wealth and prestige in the process - and had separated from Lot - that the promise is extended to him “forever” and he is told he will have descendants as innumerable as the sand. [Genesis 13:15-16]

Abraham then receives a vision from God in the night, and is now told his descendants will be as innumerable as the stars (signifying, we suggest, spiritual descendants, those having “the faith of Abraham” – see Romans 4:16).  Genesis 15:6 is the most significant verse, “And he believed the LORD and he counted it to him for righteousness.” But of course he had believed him before!  However, this is the ultimate, the far reaching, challenge of belief.  This is our challenge!  We show our belief, as Abraham did, by what we do – not simply by what we say.  

At the age of 99 his name is changed from Abram to Abraham with all the significance of what that means [Genesis 17:5-8] and, as a result, “an everlasting covenant” is established.   Then, the events we read of today happened – almost 40 years after God first revealed himself to Abram in Ur.  

God sees Abraham as now being ready for the ultimate test of faith. The final promises that are then made are totally far reaching, “your offspring shall possess the gate of his enemies and in your offspring shall all the nations of the earth be blessed, because you have obeyed my voice”  [Genesis 22:17-18]  

How significant are the words of Jesus, “Abraham rejoiced that he would see my day. He saw it and was glad” [John 8:56].  Genuine faith enables us to “see” !  How clearly can we see the kingdom?  Do the many scriptures which describe it –  come alive in our minds?  Let us share Abraham’s vision and faith – and be “glad” – then it will be “counted to” us ”for righteousness”  

Let us search our hearts – to honestly ‘see’ the progress we have made in our own journey in faith. 

-------

- DC

13 January 2016

Genesis 24

Psalms 29; 30

Matthew 15  

"THE VOICE OF THE LORD"                                                                                                                  

The sevenfold occurrence of the phrase “the voice of the LORD” in Psalm 29 today intrigues us.  Then, when we came to the Matthew reading, the words of Isaiah Jesus quoted arrested our attention, “This people honours me with their lips but their heart is far from me” [Matthew 15:8].   The contrast between God’s “voice” and what comes out of human “lips” could not be greater.

What is the nature of the LORD’s “voice”?  The description of that voice given in the Psalm reminds us of the human saying that actions speak louder than words!   The point is that God’s “voice” is heard through his actions – except by those with whom he seeks to have a special relationship – then it can be “a still small voice” (or ‘the sound of a low whisper’ -1 Kings 19:12) - as Elijah heard in the cave.

To godless men God “speaks” through his actions: this is the point David is making. At the time of Noah’s flood “the voice of the LORD is over the waters”  [Psalm 29:3]   When the fearful people of Israel were at the foot of Mount Sinai, “the voice of the LORD is powerful” [Psalm 29:4]   In the ultimate future, “the voice of the LORD is full of majesty” [Psalm 29:4].  There was a preview of this when, after Solomon dedicated the Temple, “the priest could not enter the house … because the glory of the LORD filled the LORD’s house” [2 Chronicles 7:2-3]

Psalm 29:5 in our Psalm tells us “the voice of the LORD breaks the cedars” [Psalm 29:5] - this takes our thoughts to Isaiah 2 and its dramatic picture of events before the Kingdom is established [isaiah 2:2-4] “For the LORD of hosts has a day against all that is proud … against all the cedars … against every high tower … and the haughtiness of man shall be humbled … and the LORD alone will be exalted in that day.” [isaiah 2:12,13,15,17]    

Great quantities of cedar were brought to Jerusalem to build the Temple; it was a most prized wood, but God brought destruction on that temple because the hearts of those worshipping there had become ‘distant’ to him.    

The word translated “voice” is the simple Hebrew word qol.  Young shows it occurs almost 500 times in the Old Testament, but what intrigued us was its very first occurrence.  A situation impossible to picture in our minds!  

“And they heard the sound (AV has ‘voice’) of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and (Adam & Eve) hid themselves” [Genesis 3:8].  There will come a time, we read in Revelation 21:3, when “the dwelling place of God is with men. He will dwell with them …” Those privileged to be there will have no need to hide when they hear “the voice of the LORD”   All such will honour the Lord with their lips – and with all their hearts. 

How unbelievably wonderful!  Can you imagine it?  Can you imagine being there?  

-------

- DC

14 January 2016

Genesis 25; 26

Psalms 31

Matthew 16 

“MY TIMES ARE IN YOUR HAND”  

David employs some very significant phrases in Psalm 31, our second reading today. It is a very personal Psalm – it unfolds to reveal the wonder of his relationship with God.  It starts as a prayer, "Be a rock of refuge for me, a strong fortress to save me!" [Psalm 31:2]

David then prays, "...  for your name's sake you lead me and guide me."  David had become so committed to God that others were following his example - to some extent - and also developing  an increasingly intimate relationship.  Let’s note his words that were 'echoed' by Jesus. In Psalm 31:5 we read, "Into your hand I commit my spirit." Just before our Lord breathed his last, Luke tells us, "Jesus, calling out with a loud voice, said, "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit!" [Luke 23:46]

Surely we should live our lives in such a way that we are drawing ever nearer to God in our prayerful outpourings – so that our "spirit" - our minds - our whole being - develops a total sense of commitment! This Psalm of David builds up a 'picture' of his total sense of commitment. He has enemies who  "... plot to take my life.  But I trust in you, O LORD; I say, ‘You are my God.’   My times are in your hand ... Make your face shine on your servant; save me in your steadfast love!" [Psalm 31:13-16]   

God’s face!?  Back in Psalm 4 we read, “There are many who say, "Who will show us some good? Lift up the light of your face upon us, O LORD!" The only source of real “good” and goodness – is when we have genuine communication with God – and our prayers become ‘alive.’ We are going to see 4 more references to God’s “face” in coming Psalms – watch out for them.

As David expresses the state of his heart and mind - how much can we be inspired by his words?  If, in our lives, we get close to becoming as dedicated as David (although we can never achieve his spiritual stature) we can - and should - declare with David, " Oh, how abundant is your goodness, which you have stored up for those who fear you and … take refuge in you ..." [Psalm 31:19]

David concludes his Psalm with further in inspiring words, to us!   "Love the LORD, all you his saints! The LORD preserves the faithful ... Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you who wait for the LORD!"  

This is particularly addressed to all those who live believing - and praying to God and our Lord – and - as a result say and believe with all their heart, "My times are in your hand"  

-------

- DC

15 January 2016

Genesis 27

Psalms 32

Matthew 17 

"AND THEY WERE GREATLY DISTRESSED"

Two incidents are described in today's 17th chapter in Matthew in which three were “terrified” and then all the disciples” were greatly distressed.”  The first occasion was the experience of three of them, Peter, James and John when Jesus “led them up a high mountain ... and he was transfigured before them" [Matthew 17:1-2] and "a bright cloud overshadowed them" and they heard God's voice saying, "This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased; listen to him." [Matthew 17:5]  But this awesome experience "terrified" them and they "fell on their faces" [Matthew 17:6] when they heard the divine voice.

The second occasion was when they returned to Galilee [Matthew 17:22] and Jesus told them what was about to happen!  He said, " 'The Son of Man is about to be delivered into the hands of men, and they will kill him, and he will be raised on the third day.' And they were greatly distressed." [Matthew 17:23]  So often, human nature is weak so that it can only take in part of the divinely inspired message. The words Jesus added that " he will be raised on the third day" – was not embraced by their hearts.

We should make sure we know all of God's word. In a week’s time we are going to read how Jesus said. "there will be great tribulation, such as has not been from the beginning of the world" [Matthew 24:21] before his return.  The tribulation will be so severe that those days will need to be "cut short" or " no human being would be saved.  But for the sake of the elect those days will be cut short." [Matthew 24:22] 

The genuineness of the faith of the elect will be fully tested!  But their Saviour is not going to return secretly!  “For as the lightning comes from the east and shines as far as the west, so will be the coming of the Son of Man." [Matthew 24:27] The whole world will be "greatly distressed”.   Can we `visualise the time when " the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light, and the stars will fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken." [Matthew 24:29] ?

How will we cope?  The disciples did not cope when they heard God’s “voice” on the Mount of transfiguration!  Our faith will experience its’ ultimate test – and those genuinely strong in faith, will not “mourn” or be “greatly distressed” as all the world will surely be - for “they will see the son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven with  power and great glory" [Matthew 24:30] and they will know "his angels” are about to “gather his elect" [Matthew 24:31]

-------

- DC

16 January 2016

Genesis 28; 29

Psalms 33

Matthew 18  

"IT IS NECESSARY THAT ... "                                                                                                                

Certain things are necessary in our lives such as clothing to wear and food to eat. Do you remember how Paul made the point to Timothy - “if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content” and “there is great gain in godliness with contentment” [1 Timothy 6:6,8] What hinders our contentment?   

Now in today’s 18th chapter of Matthew we read how Jesus told his disciples, “Woe to the world for temptations to sin.  For it is necessary that temptations come …” [Matthew 18:7]  Why is it necessary?  Wouldn’t it be better if believers lived protected lives without anything tempting us?   No, it wouldn’t! 

When we or others make or manufacture things they are tested to make sure they are strong enough to be used for the purpose for which they were made.  It maybe that some part will break off!  If that makes it useless, then we throw it away.  But often, even with a part broken off there is still a good use for it – and that is the point behind Jesus’ parable that “if your hand or your foot causes you to sin , cut it off and throw it away.  It is better for you to enter life crippled or lame than with two hands or two feet to be thrown into the eternal fire.” [Matthew 18:8] 

We may have a special aptitude or talent, but if it has no spiritual value – but rather, the opposite, then we should push it out of our lives. Let us make full use of the suitable talents we have or opportunities that occur – and not fret about others - especially our failures, and be in danger of being useless to God.. 

Once again our Psalms reading [Psalm 33] proved to be of value.  Psalm 33:10 tells us, “The LORD brings the counsel of the nations to nothing; he frustrates the plans of the peoples.” And so efforts to achieve peace between nations and peoples are heading towards disaster – as also - are efforts to take action to stop or at least minimize global warming.  

God is not only ignored – most push out of their minds any thought as to his existence. Does this attitude influence us in any way?   Note the great truth of Psalm 33:12  “Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD, the people whom he has chosen as his heritage!” 

We can add to this words we will come to in Psalm 144, “Blessed are the people whose God is the LORD!” 

The words of Jesus we read and thought about illustrate the elements of behaviour that really count – “but it is necessary” that chosen vessels are tested as to their worthiness.  Are you passing the test?  May we all be among those whom he chooses.  May we help each other to pass the test.  

-------

- DC

17 January 2016

Genesis 30

Psalms 34

Matthew 19  

"I SOUGHT THE LORD ..."

Today's Psalm 34 is a wonderful "mine" of sayings from the pen of David, ideal to inspire those who aim to serve God. 

David wrote, "I sought the LORD and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears" [Psalm 34:4] And again, "The angel of the LORD encamps around those who fear him, and delivers them" [Psalm 34:7] Further still, "The eyes of the LORD are toward the righteous and his ear toward their cry … and delivers them out of all their troubles." [Psalm 34:15,17]

We need to weigh up all these encouraging sayings, recognising what they are (and are not) telling us. There is, unfortunately, an attitude in some Christian circles that if you serve God and His Son you will get more and more blessings and prosperity. This is NOT what the Bible reveals, although it is true of the ultimate picture, but it is not true of this life. Men like Solomon are the exception.

Life in serving the LORD is a learning curve. David discovered this after he had slain Goliath, look at his life story! This understanding surely lies behind his most challenging statement in today's Psalm, "Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the LORD delivers him (also her) out of them all." [Psalm 34:19]

As we are seeing in our Genesis reading, it was the lesson that Jacob also learnt in all the traumas of his life in his relationship with his brother and with Laban. It is summed up in what he says at the end of his life when he meets up with Pharaoh, as we will read next week [Genesis 48:15,16] Jacob speaks of "the God who has been my shepherd all my life long to this day; the angel who has redeemed me from all evil."

Coming back to Psalm 34, note what it says in Psalm 34:12! "What man (or woman) is there who desires life and loves many days, that he may see good?" Surely that is the desire of us all! Now note the answer he gives to this question in the verses which follow recognizing that with the "many days" will come times of affliction and the angel of the LORD will be there to deliver as the LORD sees the need.

-------

- DC  

18 January 2016

Genesis 31

Psalms 35

Matthew 20  

"FOR THOSE WHO LOVE GOD ..."

One characteristic of human nature that God does not like, which was evident in our readings today in Genesis is the effect of favouritism resulting in unfairness and prejudice. We see God's reaction to Jacob's favouritism toward Rachel and dislike of Leah. Rachel was party to this as is evident from Leah's comment to her, "You have taken away my husband" [Genesis 30:15] and Leah's approach to Jacob, "I have hired you with my son's mandrakes" [Genesis 30:16]

We must be thankful that from the time of Christ, the principle of one man one wife was restored. Prejudice is again evident among the sons of Laban, while they acknowledged the blessings that came during the first 14 years that Jacob was with them, they resent Jacob providing for his own household [Genesis 31:1] and even Rachel and Leah came to be regarded by him as "foreigners" [Genesis 31:15] We will soon read of the prejudice that occurs between the sons of Jacob because of his favouritism toward Joseph.

Yet the remarkable thing in several of these situations is that God makes use of human prejudices and jealousies, weaving them into his pattern of events toward a Divinely ordained end. "For those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose" [Romans 8:28] But, let us realize that this is for the good of his purpose, it might not necessarily seem to be for ours at the time, such as when Joseph was put into the pit by his brothers! Paul's words to the Philippians are words to hold in our minds where, he says that people do things (in this case preaching) from envy and rivalry, but others from good will. The latter do it out of love …" [Philippians 1:15-16] Let love motivate us in all that we do – did not Jesus even say, "love your enemies" 

-------

- DC  

19 January 2016

Genesis 32; 33

Psalms 36

Matthew 21 

"THEY WERE INDIGNANT"                                                                                                                    

Today’s chapter in Matthew [Matthew 21] is full of exciting incidents. The opposition to Jesus caused by his popularity had reached fever pitch. The religious leaders were afraid to do anything because his popularity had become so intense.  We read of his triumphal entry into Jerusalem, “the crowds that went before him and that followed after were shouting ‘Hosanna to the Son of David! Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord! Hosanna in the highest!’” [Matthew 21:9-10]

Then we are told, he enters the temple (where the religious leaders normally reign supreme) “and drives out all who bought and sold in the temple … you make it a den of robbers.” He told them. [Matthew 21:12-13] Jesus tells them.

Next, “the blind and the lame came to him in the temple and he healed them.”  Drama upon drama, “but when the chief priests and the scribes saw the wonderful things that he did they were indignant” [Matthew 21:15] Their spiritual blindness was absolute, they were so sure of themselves that they knew all the answers, their mindset had created total spiritual darkness.   

Two particular thoughts occurred to us from this incident.  One, there are mindsets today: there is the total conviction that there is no God, that everything that exists sort of created itself.  Ever more remarkable things have been uncovered in research by the men of science, making it impossible, it seems to us, for the rational thinking mind to even start to think there was no creative Master Mind – yet when we affirm there must be because of the vast array of evidence of most marvellous design – the atheist is indignant just as the High Priests were over Jesus.  

The second thought is, as we shall read in the next day or two; how fickle human attitudes are that have no depth to their understanding or belief. Think of today!  

Many of those who joined in the shouts of ‘Hosanna’ were soon to be persuaded to cry ‘Crucify Him’! So we must most earnestly ask ourselves, how deep is our own conviction?  Do we have, or are we earnest - in creating within ourselves the full assurance of hope and faith?  Read Hebrews 6:11; 10:22.

-------

- DC

20 January 2016

Genesis 34; 35

Psalms 37

Matthew 22 

"MANY ARE CALLED BUT FEW ARE CHOSEN"

We have a set of really thought challenging readings today.  First, in Genesis, we have the climax and end of Jacob’s life. But before he dies "God said to him, 'Your name is Jacob; no longer shall your name be called Jacob, but Israel shall be your name.'" [Genesis 35:10] According to the Hebrew Dictionary - Israel means 'He will rule as God.'  As the grandson of Abraham, he inherited the promises made to him [Genesis 22:17-18].  This promise was that "in your offspring shall all the nations of the earth be blessed."  And that offspring, of course was Jesus. Paul wrote that "God .... preached the gospel beforehand to Abraham, saying, "In you shall all the nations be blessed." [Galatians 3:8]  This is an aspect of "the gospel" that many do not appreciate, but it is central to it.

Then David's Psalm 37, inspired us. Its' opening words stir our hearts to resist the godlessness in today's world.  "Fret not yourself because of evildoers; be not envious of wrongdoers!  For they will soon fade like the grass and wither like the green herb.  Trust in the LORD, and do good ..." But how few today have genuinely committed themselves to living with that aim?  So few! - David’s words in this Psalm brings our thoughts to the parable of Jesus at the start of Matthew 22.   

It is a parable about a wedding feast - surely representing the joys when the words of the Lord's prayer become a reality, If we pray "Your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven." [Matthew 6:10] and we live our lives with the expectation of the kingdom coming (how soon now?) and we will then take part in the "wedding feast" that is also described in Revelation 19:6-9. The parable describes how invitations are sent out, "But when the king came in to look at the guests, he saw there a man who had no wedding garment." [Matthew 22:11]

Are we worthy to take part in this feast?  Jude writes of "the garment stained by the flesh" [Jude 23] – the world abounds with such garments today – if they have garments at all.  

In contrast Isaiah declares, "I will greatly rejoice in the LORD ... for he has clothed me with the garments of salvation; he has covered me with the robe of righteousness ... as a bride adorns herself ..." [isaiah 61:10] 

The parable in Matthew ends in a most challenging way, "....there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.' For many are called, but few are chosen." David's Psalms are one of the main  sources for learning the basis for being among the "chosen" and having (how soon now?) the wondrous experience of the wedding feast. 

-------

- DC

21 January 2016

Genesis 36

Psalms 38

Matthew 23 

"YOU WILL NOT SEE ME AGAIN UNTIL ..."

In Matthew 23 today, Jesus piles “Woe” upon “Woe” in his condemnation of the scribes and the Pharisees.  Seven times [Matthew 23:12,15,23,25,27,28,29] he denounces their hypocrisy or calls them “hypocrites.”  What a warning this is for those who claim to follow Christ today – to make sure they have the ‘spirit’ of humility and sincerity in their hearts.

Jesus laments over Jerusalem because he knows the fate that awaits her.  We particularly noticed his lament in [Matthew 23:37,38, "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to it! How often would I have gathered your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you were not willing!  See, your house is left to you desolate."

Our Lord expressed the divine desire to see a renewal of genuine spirituality in the chosen people to whom the Laws through Moses had been given. And there was a wondrous renewal in some after Jesus ascended to heaven and the disciples carried out his commission to them.  This is given in the closing verses of Matthew’s gospel. Then the Lord called Paul to serve him and he spearheaded this work through the rest of the first Century.

This message was written down and spread throughout the world.  There was a great time of renewal about 500 years ago when it was printed and circulated and increasingly available in more and more languages for all to read and many took  into their hearts the original message of salvation 

There was some degree of a final renewal of faith in the original message in the middle of the 19th Century as Dr. John Thomas in particular spoke and wrote and inspired many!   Then from the middle of 20th Century, the wondrous miracle of the restoration of Israel and Jerusalem was the final divine challenge to the world to believe - and those who really read and absorbed the Scriptures did so - and felt inspired. But Israel's "house" (Temple) is still "left ... desolate"!

The final verse in today's chapter has Jesus telling natural and spiritual Israelites who have spiritual "eyes" to see, "you will not see me again, until you say, 'Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord.'"  Today some thousands in Israel believe in Jesus as their Messiah – and there are plans in hand among some to rebuild the Temple - and some are involved in preparing its contents. For ourselves let us live so that we are among those who "see (Jesus) again" and who are ready to say  " 'Blessed is he (Jesus) who comes in the name of the Lord.'(God)"

-------

- DC

22 January 2016

Genesis 37

Psalms 39; 40

Matthew 24  

"AS THE LIGHTNING COMES ..."

What a fascinating set of readings we have today, but the chapter in Matthew is intensely thought provoking and ended up dominating our thoughts.  Jesus made awesome predictions about the future as “he sat with them (the disciples)  on the Mount of Olives” [Matthew 24:3] The bulk of his predictions related to the destruction of the Temple - and this occurred about 40 years later.  But the teachings of Jesus on the mount then go beyond that time to when he will  return to earth. It will be dramatic; "as the lightning comes from the east and shines as far as the west, so will be the coming of the Son of Man." [Matthew 24:27] 

It will be an utterly dramatic time; there will be a final time of tribulation, and then , said Jesus, "Immediately after the tribulation of those days the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light, and the stars will fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken. Then will appear in heaven the sign of the Son of Man ... and they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory." [Matthew 24:29-30]. 

How literal are these words? We hesitate to be dogmatic, but Jesus is reflecting It would be foolish to ‘spiritualize’ them away!?

The most wonderful (and awe-inspiring) comments Jesus made, as far as believers are concerned, is Matthew 24:31 which tells us that " he will send out his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds ..."   Jesus likens the time to -  "the days of Noah, so will be the coming of the Son of Man. For as in those days before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day when Noah entered the ark, and they were unaware until the flood came and swept them all away, so will be the coming of the Son of Man." [Matthew 24:37-39] 

Thankfully, after that flood, God promised "I will never again curse the ground because of man ... as I have done.  While the earth remains, seedtime and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night, shall not cease." [Genesis 8:21-22]  Wonderful - and we are experiencing this blessing - but so few these days thank the Creator for them. 

Finally, look at Matthew 24:42-44,  "stay awake, for you do not know on what day your Lord is coming ... the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect." And then, indeed, it will be "as the lightning comes ..." 

-------

- DC

23 January 2016

Genesis 38

Psalms 41; 42; 43

Matthew 25  

“BUT AT MIDNIGHT”  

For those who are really tuned in – spiritually – the world appears to be nearing the midnight hour, so great is the spirit of godlessness pervading all nations. God's word is totally neglected - except for a few remaining "elect."   Recall what we read in Matthew 24 yesterday about the time of “tribulation.”  But "... for the sake of the elect those days will be cut short." [Matthew 24:22]

The parables of Jesus recorded in today's 25th chapter surely apply to today.  In the first 13 verses we have the parable of the 10 virgins waiting for the bridegroom to come.  Five are not ready "as the bridegroom was delayed... " [Matthew 25:5] "But at midnight there was a cry, 'Here is the bridegroom! Come out to meet him.'" [Matthew 25:6] 

We look back on expectations on the return of Christ, the bridegroom, over many generations!  In our own relatively long lifetime, the expectations were strong in the late 1940's after Israel became a nation again, we have a G.T. magazine that implied that 1957 was possibly the year, it was 40 years (a" generation"? see Numbers 32:13, Psalm 95:10) since Jerusalem was freed from the Turks. 

Then, after Jerusalem was captured in 1967 and became the capital of Israel expectations of his coming within 40 years were quite high.  How long is a generation – does Numbers 32:13 prove anything?  How long, we ask ourselves in 2016 - until it is "midnight"?   Those waiting for him "all became drowsy." [Matthew 25:5]  "But at midnight" the cry came and there is instant and urgent action!  

What does the "oil" represent in this parable?  We suggest - it is genuine faith - built upon a genuine knowledge of his word: a faith inspired, among other things, by the Psalms of David such as we read today in Psalm 41 where the opening verses tell us, "In the day of trouble the LORD delivers him; the LORD protects him ..."  In Psalm 41:12 David declares, "you have upheld me because of my integrity, and set me in your presence forever."  Surely those wondrously blessed to be in God's kingdom will say in that day (as in the last verse of this Psalm) "Blessed be the LORD, the God of Israel, from everlasting to everlasting! Amen and Amen."

-------

- DC

24 January 2016

Genesis 39; 40

Psalms 44

Matthew 26 

“WHAT WILL YOU GIVE ME IF …”

Entwined within the momentous story of the arrest and trial of our Lord we read today is the tragic story of Judas Iscariot. He went to the chief priests and said, “What will you give me if I hand him over to you?” [Matthew 26:15]  What made him do this?  He had witnessed the remarkable miracles of his Master.  

When a large number of those following Jesus had turned away from him grumbling about his hard sayings, “Jesus said to the twelve, ‘Will you also go away as well?’ [John 6:67] They, with Peter as their spokesman, said, “Lord, to whom shall we go?  You have the words of eternal life; and we have believed and come to know that you are the holy one of God” [John 6:68-69]  

Jesus then commented that one of them was a devil!  Did Judas realize what he meant?  We doubt it!  On another occasion we are told that “he was a thief and having charge of the moneybag used to help himself to what was put into it” [John 12:6]   

We wonder why Jesus did nothing to stop this, he must have known.  Yet, we read in Matthew 27, that when he “saw that Jesus was condemned, he changed his mind and brought back the thirty pieces of silver … saying, ‘I have sinned by betraying innocent blood’” [Matthew 27:4]  Why did it take him so long to realize it was a sin? 

The explanation that occurs to us is that, having witnessed several occasions when Jesus eluded attempts to arrest him, he was sure he would do so again! The best example of this is Luke 4:29-30 when they “brought him to the brow of the hill on which their town was built, so that they could throw him down the cliff. But passing through their midst, he went away.” Judas saw a clever opportunity to get a large among of money out of the religious leaders.   It was a huge shock when Jesus was arrested and put on trial.  Judas was “a double-minded man” – that James warned about! [James 1:8]  Let us make absolutely sure we are not!   

The lesson for us is to see how blind apparently committed followers of Christ can be as to what is wrong behaviour.  They can listen, and feel that they believe in the words of eternal life and follow Jesus – blind to the fact that following Jesus means they must become more and more like him. 

Jesus does not act to prevent our bad behaviour; followers of Jesus are allowed to experience tests to see whether they are really converted or not – because conversion – means changing our ways – which begins with the way our minds work! Meditative reading of God’s word provides the ‘food’ to do that.

-------

- DC

25 January 2016

Genesis 41

Psalms 45

Matthew 27 

"LET HIM BE CRUCIFIED"

How fickle is human nature! This is demonstrated again and again - we regularly see this in politics!  It was demonstrated in the trial and crucifixion of Jesus that we read today in Matthew 27.  His enemies were those jealous of his popularity, they had to use the cover of darkness to arrest him - and his trial was through the night! It also demonstrated the weakness of Pilate the Roman Governor. 

Pilate thought he could sway the emotions of the crowd by offering as an alternative for crucifixion "a notorious prisoner called Barabbas." [Matthew 27:16] But the chief priests and the elders persuaded the crowd to ask for Barabbas and destroy Jesus." [Matthew 27:20] Pilate said to them, "Then what shall I do with Jesus who is called Christ?" They all said, "Let him be crucified!" 

Pilate asked, "Why, what evil has he done?" [Matthew 27:23] But they never answered him.  We can see some comparison with the attitudes today - towards God's word!  In effect human nature today is saying, 'Let's do away with the Bible - it is of no value to us, it tries to restrict our freedom to do as we please.'  And so today, the Bible has been crucified!  It's wondrous message of the real meaning and purpose of all life is rejected - fleshly human thinking has 'crucified' it.    As a 'sop' some teach 'love your neighbour as yourself' - but that is the end of the message.  And less and less are listening even to that!

What are you listening to?  Look at the 'prayer' in today's Psalm 45:6-7. "Your throne, O God, is forever and ever. The sceptre of your kingdom is a sceptre of uprightness; you have loved righteousness and hated wickedness."   The world is largely 'loving' and 'hating' the opposite: it believes it has 'crucified' the Bible - we know it hasn't, but our lives must show that.  How long now before God performs the utterly wondrous miracle the Bible alone reveals!? 

May we so live our lives, that we show we are at one with the apostle Paul when he wrote that he lived so ”that by any means possible I may attain the resurrection from the dead.” [Philippians 3:11] Finally, note how to the Galatians he wrote, “far be it from me to boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.” [Galatians 6:14] Can we say ‘Let the world all around us be crucified’ in this sense, because it offers us no future – only disaster and destruction. 

-------

- DC