TFTD - December 2015

Resource Manager

26 December 2015

"Our Lord’s tribulations were not restricted to the physical torture of the crucifixion. It is reasonable to declare that his agony of mind was greater than any man has had to bear. In contact with sin, selfishness and hypocrisy, how poignant must have been the grief which his sensitive nature had to bear! And it was by the discipline of his sorrows that his own character was perfectly matured. And what was the faultlessness this sinless Son of Man achieved? It was surely complete surrender to the will of his Father, and absolute harmony with it. To their example and intercession before the throne of God, the tried and tested of every age may turn with a complete confidence that their Lord has personally endured these things."

- Harold Smalley

Our Light Affliction (1985)

27 December 2015

"The holiness of God takes various forms. One aspect is His goodness in providing for the needs of His creatures. The apostle Peter describes Him as a “faithful Creator” bound to His creation by ties of loyalty and responsibility, forged out of the fidelity of His own heart (1 Peter 4:19). Everything that His power has made to live and move is dependent upon His providence. “I have made and I will bear” (Isaiah 46:4) are words which can be applied universally."

- Claud Lamb

The Goodness of God (1974)

28 December 2015

"As we pass by and behold so many things, if we look at them through eyes which have been opened, we shall see the base metal of everyday experiences changed to the pure gold by which we can buy saving faith. "Lord, open the eyes of us all, that we may see."

- Leslie Johnson

As I Passed by and Beheld (1974)

30 December 2015

"In ages past, God has had among the nations a people of His own. These are wise in the wisdom of God, and venerate His word above all things. Though not His counsellors, He has graciously condescended to inform them what He intends to do before it comes to pass. Hence, it is testified by the prophet that "the Lord God will surely do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets". This revelation is made that His people’s faith may be confirmed and enlarged, and that in every generation they may know the times and seasons to which they stand related. Knowing the signs, they are enabled to discern the times; and while consternation and dismay cause men’s hearts to fail they are courageous, and rejoice in perceiving the approach of the Kingdom of God."

- John Thomas 

Elpis Israel

31 December 2015

"Without Him we have nothing of permanence. Our passing days are traded for transient things. We spend our years, says the word, and what will there be to show for it at the end? It is a wise man who takes himself to the eternal and unchangeable God in good time, declaring in faith and hope: "My times are in your hand." To travel with God day by day is worth more than a lifetime of self-drive journeying. When the Egyptians stood before Joseph in the time of famine we read: "When that year was ended, they came unto him ... and said unto him, We will not hide it from my lord, how that all our money is spent ..." So, too, our allotment of days will come to an end. We shall not be able to hide it from men or from God. The only consolation will lie in a proper answer to the question: How did you spend your time?"

- Harry Tennant
Year's End (1960)