TFTBR - December 2015

Resource Manager

01 December 2015

Esther 9; 10

Jonah 1

Hebrews 6; 7  

"THE POWERS OF THE AGE TO COME"

Hebrews 6, the first of the 2 chapters in Hebrews we read today, contains a warning to the believers who had been blessed to have “been enlightened” [Hebrews 6:4]  not only to know and accept the teaching of Jesus and the Apostles – but who had also “tasted the heavenly gift, and have shared in the Holy Spirit ... the powers of the age to come" [Hebrews 6:5]  That is awesome information!   In the "age to come" those reigning with Christ will have various roles! In Psalm 84:10 the point is made “For a day in your courts is better than a thousand elsewhere. I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of wickedness.”  Being a “doorkeeper” would have constant wondrous experiences!  Imagine it.

The warning in Hebrews is that all who had had the wonder of the experience of some form of the spirit gifts, as detailed by Paul in 1 Corinthians 12, must not abuse this privilege.  What "powers" will be used in the coming age!  It is revealed in the book of Revelation that "Blessed and holy is the one who shares in the first resurrection! ... they will be priests of God and of Christ, and they will reign with him for a thousand years." [Revelation 20:6]

In Paul's 2nd letter to the Corinthians he encouraged them by saying, " For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen ... are eternal." [2 Corinthians 4:18]

We can understand the warning in Hebrews that those who "have shared in the Holy Spirit" and have "then have fallen away” - this is why was impossible “to restore them again to repentance, since they are crucifying once again the Son of God to their own harm and holding him up to contempt" [Hebrews 6:5-6] 

Although none of us experience such powers, we must realize that the Scriptures about the teaching of Christ and the apostles, were not yet in circulation amongst the first generation or two of believers, so how vital was the role of "the heavenly gift" in filling that void.  We, who have the gift of all "the sacred writings, which are able to make you wise for salvation..." [2 Timothy 3:15] must make abundant use of them to 'feed' our minds, and ‘inspire’ our actions, if we are to experience the wonders "of the age to come."  

-------

- DC

02 December 2015

Job 1; 2

Jonah 2; 3

Hebrews 8; 9  

“THEY SHALL ALL KNOW ME” 

All three portions of Scripture we read today have thought provoking aspects, but that is the essential purpose of Scripture.  The underlying lesson we perceived in Job was that, as Paul told the Philippians to “work out your own salvation with fear and trembling” [Philippians 2:12] - the sons and daughters of Job had left this to their father. 

Jonah was swallowed by "a great fish" God had specially prepared - because he refused to preach where God had requested - he ended up uttering  "When my life was fainting away, I remembered the LORD, and my prayer came to you, into your holy temple. Those who pay regard to vain idols forsake their hope of steadfast love.   But I with the voice of thanksgiving will sacrifice to you; what I have vowed I will pay. Salvation belongs to the LORD!" [Jonah 2:7-9]  What fascinating words to utter - do we utter anything similar?  All around us are those who "pay regard to vain idols" of human invention, many creating ungodly pursuits. Are we attracted to them at all?.

Some see Job and Jonah as elaborate 'parables' designed to teach us lessons, this they may be - but Jesus said, "all things are possible with God" [Mark 10:27] - so let us treat them as literal.

We are longing for the time the words we read in Hebrews become a reality, the time when " they shall all know me, from the least of them to the greatest.  For I will be merciful toward their iniquities, and I will remember their sins no more." [Hebrews 8:11-12]  Those who refuse to "know me" will not be alive!

These words are part of an extended quotation the writer to the Hebrews gives from Jeremiah [Jeremiah 31:31-34]. The Old Testament lays the foundation for the ‘New’!   We will see as we complete reading both Job and Jonah that they really came to know their Creator as a result of their experiences.

May our dedicated daily reading of God's word - lead us into this situation - creating a vibrant faith within us, a longing for when we "shall ... know" God - when our faith is turned to sight - and, by his grace, that will be soon.

-------

- DC

03 December 2015

Job 3; 4

Jonah 4

Hebrews 10  

“IF HE SHRINKS BACK”

Hebrews 10 today is particularly thought provoking!  The writer is challenging his readers  (initially Jewish believers - which is why the letter is addressed ‘to the Hebrews) to maintain and even increase their faith, it is probable that Jerusalem and the Temple are about to be destroyed!  This is equally our Master’s appeal to us in these last days. In Hebrews 10:5-7 - Psalm 40 is quoted.  "Sacrifices and offerings you have not desired, but a body have you prepared for me" [Psalm 40:6] The "body" is obviously Christ.  

David foresaw this in his next words in this Psalm, which the author of Hebrews quotes, "in burnt offerings and sin offerings you have taken no pleasure.  Then I said, 'Behold, I have come to do your will, O God, as it is written of me in the scroll of the book.'" [Psalm 40:6-7] 

A key question for us is - in what does God take "pleasure" – especially these days?  The writer (Paul?) then quotes these words in Jeremiah.  

Now we saw in yesterday's chapter, Hebrews 8, "the Holy Spirit" inspired Jeremiah to prophecy, "this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, declares the Lord: I will put my laws into their minds, and write them on their hearts, and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. " [Hebrews 8:10]  Surely this will only be fulfilled in the age to come, and how close are we to that time now! 

Today's chapter reaches its climax - a climax which leads into tomorrow's familiar chapter - which begins with the words,  "Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen."  But the words immediately before this; the end of today's chapter, are largely a quotation from Habakkuk 2:3-4." 'Yet a little while, and the coming one will come and will not delay;  but my righteous one shall live by faith, and if he shrinks back, my soul has no pleasure in him.'  But we are not of those who shrink back and are destroyed, but of those who have faith and preserve their souls." [Hebrews 10:37-39]

May the Lord have "pleasure" in us - let us make sure it will not be said of us - "he (or she) shrinks back" - but we are “of those who have faith and (so) preserve (our) souls"

-------

- DC

04 December 2015

Job 5

Micah 1

Hebrews 11  

“BY FAITH WE UNDERSTAND”

Today we read that ‘famous’ (in a spiritual; sense) chapter Hebrews 11 which starts with the encouraging and challenging words, "Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen."  We are familiar with this chapter, or should be - let us make sure we have fully absorbed its lessons into our minds and have a firm “conviction of things not seen.”  

The first - and maybe the most important thing in which to have faith is the statement in Hebrews 11:3. "By faith we understand that the universe was created by the word of God, so that what is seen was not made out of things that are visible." This lays a vital foundation in our thinking, especially in this godless world - which surrounds and presses in on us more than ever.  

We have read books by those who believe (have a ‘faith’ in) the claims that all that exists is the result of an endless series of ’chance’ happenings - and yet they admit they cannot prove this!  They are convinced that there is no God who will hold them responsible for the 'evil' they are spreading into the minds of others.  The extent to which God may hold them accountable remains to be seen - but the fact in Scripture - that "he is coming  ... and ... even those who pierced him ... will wail" [Revelation 1:7] causes one to see this as possible - even likely. 

Those who hold a sure conviction in their hearts that there is a Creator who not only made all things, but who invites them to have a wondrous relationship with him - through His Son - live with a sure sense of purpose in their lives - because they realize in their hearts (not just their heads) that "whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him." [Hebrews 11:6]  So let us "draw near to God" and his Son today - and every day! Remember what we read in Hebrews 7:25 that Jesus "is able to save to the uttermost those who draw near to God through him, since he always lives to make intercession for them."

Our chapter today, after listing a multitude of examples of men and woman who learnt to live by faith, ends by telling us, "all these, though commended through their faith, did not receive what was promised, since God had provided something better for us, that apart from us they should not be made perfect. "

Surely you and I desire to be part of the "us" and to be “made perfect”! Let us pray that the divine oversight of our lives will continue - today - and every day - until our faith is turned to sight. 

-------

- DC

05 December 2015

Job 6; 7

Micah 2

Hebrews 12  

"DO NOT REGARD LIGHTLY ..."

After our reading of the faith stimulating but challenging in Hebrews 11 yesterday, we have the equally challenging chapter today, Hebrews 12. The writer encourages us - after giving all the examples of faith listed in Hebrews 11 -  to focus our minds on "Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith" [Hebrews 12:2].  

Let us each consider how much "our faith" still needs perfecting! What are we to consider in particular?  What do we most need to examine and weigh up in our minds?

We are invited in Hebrews 12:3 to "Consider him who endured from sinners such hostility against himself, so that you may not grow weary or fainthearted." Our minds go to all the efforts to oppose and condemn our Lord that are detailed in the Gospels.

Hebrews 12:4 further challenges us, "In your struggle against sin you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood."  We have not been tested to the degree Jesus was!  The writer then quotes from the Proverbs (showing yet again how the whole Bible is a unit) "My son, do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord, nor be weary when reproved by him.  For the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and chastises every son whom he receives."  [Hebrews 12:5-6] 

How much did God love Jesus? We remember the words from heaven at the time of his baptism by John Baptist, ""This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased." [Matthew 3:17] - words which were repeated on the mount of transfiguration [Matthew 17:5]. 

Do you sense that the Lord loves you? Have difficult situations arisen in your life - when your faith has been put to the test? Did you not feel stronger for having come through them?  Yes! Look at Hebrews 12:11 in today's chapter, "For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it." The next words tell us the result of that training, to "lift your drooping hands and strengthen your weak knees, and make straight paths for your feet ... Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord."

So we must "not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord." This is the lesson we will see unfolding as we read the book of Job for the rest of this month - and how meaningful is the climax of his life!  And the climax of your life? It may well depend on whether you or I have regarded lightly" times of "discipline" the Lord has brought (and may yet bring) upon us.  

-------

- DC

06 December 2015

Job 8

Micah 3; 4

Hebrews 13  

“THEY DO NOT UNDERSTAND”                                                                                                 

But those who are diligent readers of God’s word do understand!  

Our heading is quoted from the Prophet Micah – and his words contain things we can relate to in our own days. Micah 3; 4 today are quite remarkable. First, the message which God gave him about the godlessness of his days is so parallel to today. “You who hate the good and love the evil” [Micah 3:2] “who detest justice and make crooked all that is straight” [Micah 3:9] Of course, this applied initially to Israel, but is now true of the whole world.

Because of this spirit, God says, through the prophet, “Jerusalem shall become a heap of ruins” [Micah 3:12]  And so it happened – twice! The second time was after they crucified their Messiah.  

But then God makes the prophet’s vision move forward to what we believe are our days.  “Many nations are assembled against you saying, ‘let her be defiled, and let our eyes gaze on Zion’.  But they do not know the thoughts of the LORD; they do not understand His plan, that he has gathered them as sheaves to the threshing floor” [Micah 4:11-12] And when Israel “threshes” her enemies they “shall devote their gain to the Lord” [Micah 4:13]. This has not yet happened, but it will happen in a major way at the time when they really know God.  

Finally, there is the vision of what is “to come to pass in the latter days” [Micah 4:1] when “many nations shall come and say ‘Come, let us go up … to the house (Temple) of the LORD that he may teach us his ways and that we may walk in his paths … nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more” [Micah 4:2,4]  This is the time when, what we call, ‘The Lord’s prayer’ will be fulfilled – ‘Thy kingdom come’ – will have come! Those that “do not understand” will not be there!  Will you be there? You and I decide the answer, by the genuine convictions we have in our minds – now!

-------

- DC

07 December 2015

Job 9

Micah 5

James 1  

"RECEIVE WITH MEEKNESS THE IMPLANTED WORD”

Our readings this morning provoked a multitude of thoughts – especially in James – whose letter we started reading today.  But first there are points which Job makes that invite our meditation: he declares to the 3 friends that God “alone stretched out the heavens ... who does great things beyond searching out, and marvellous things beyond number."   [Job 9:8,10] 

Job is utterly overawed by what the Creator of all things must be – and has done!  And so should we be!

Micah 5 has that significant verse that states, "But you, O Bethlehem ... from you shall come forth for me one who is to be ruler in Israel ..." [Micah 5:2] This verse is the one which they found when the wise men came to Jerusalem seeking a king who had been born – as signified by a star, as recorded in Matthew 2:1-8. 

But let us not miss Micah 5:4!  This tells us what this "ruler" will one day do! "he shall stand and shepherd his flock in the strength of the LORD, in the majesty of the name of the LORD his God. And they shall dwell secure, for now he shall be great to the ends of the earth." May that day be very soon - and may we, by his grace, be among “his flock” and experience the mind-enveloping wonder of it all..

And now to James - who challenges us with many points in his opening chapter. "Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete ..." [James 1:2-4] 

James then states, "If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God ... and it will be given him." [James 1:2-45]  How good are we at asking God for “wisdom” as distinct from understanding and knowledge? Let us carefully ponder the example of “wisdom” we will read at the end of James 3 – “the wisdom from above.”

James’ gives us some invaluable instruction, James 1:21-23, today’s chapter – they lay the foundation for this wisdom.   "The anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God.  Therefore ... receive with meekness the implanted word, which is able to save your souls. But be doers of the word, and not hearers only "  We should add, 'and not readers only.' The chapter finishes with some invaluable instruction of how to be “doers” and use “the implanted word.” “Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world”. 

-------

- DC

08 December 2015

Job 10

Micah 6

James 2 

"FAITH APART FROM WORKS IS USELESS"

What is faith? We use this word in various contexts – in speaking and writing – are we thinking clearly as to what we have faith in?  Faith is a word we cannot use in isolation – it has to be spoken or written in relation to something or someone in which – or in whom – we have faith.  The ultimate object of your faith and my faith – is God.  But to have real faith ‘in’ God we must “know” God, we must have a true sense of relationship with him! How do we achieve that?

We think of the worthies who are described in Scripture as having faith: the greatest of these is probably Abraham: we have just read in Hebrews that "he went out, not knowing where he was going." [Hebrews 11:8] Only when he had done that - and arrived in the promised land - did God make him further promises.

Our meditations on faith were prompted by today's challenging chapter in James [James 2] which ends with the simple but profound statement, that just "as the body apart from the spirit (breath) is dead, so also faith apart from works is dead." James is repeating for emphasis what he had written in James 2:20 "Do you want to be shown, you foolish person, that faith apart from works is useless?"  after which he gives examples of Abraham's acts of faith, the ultimate act being when he was ready to offer "up his son Isaac on the altar." [James 2:21]  In what context and with what meaning, do we talk of our own faith?

James says, Abraham's belief in God, demonstrated by his works, was of such a quality that "'... it was counted to him as righteousness'" ­ and he was called a friend of God." [James 2:23]  What is special about being called "a friend of God"  - well it is not the normal Hebrew word for friend - it is one that means 'lover' - Abraham was a lover of God - it occurs in 2 Chronicles 20:7 and Isaiah 41:8 - and nowhere else.

How close and intimate has our relationship with God and his Son become?  Can we, as we read in Hebrews last Thursday, "draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith" [Hebrews 10:22]? A parallel - and equally important question is - is our faith demonstrated by the way you and I have lived our lives? If it is not, it "is useless."  But this is a very intimate and personal question – ponder what Paul wrote to the Romans, “The faith that you have, keep between yourself and God.”  Let us search our hearts as to what that means in practice.   

-------

- DC

09 December 2015

Job 11

Micah 7

James 3; 4  

"WISDOM FROM ABOVE IS FIRST PURE THEN ..."

The letter of James has an abundance of pearls of “wisdom from above” and we are ‘wise’ to mentally feed on it - slowly to get its full taste.  Sadly, so many fail to do this: often, without realizing it, they slowly develop more and more of the attitude of mind of the scribes and Pharisees.  James, apparently the chief ‘elder’ of the Jerusalem ecclesia [Acts 15:13] had developed great wisdom and perception of the ways of God – like his older brother – or should we say, his half-brother.  He is aware that God “yearns jealously over the spirit that he has made to dwell in us"? [James 4:5]  Are we fully aware of this?

We are going to see in the words of Job - his perception of the potential relationship of man with God. We will come to where Job declares, "man prays to God, and he accepts him; he sees his face with a shout of joy, and he restores to man his righteousness." [Job 33:26] Can we imagine the divine reaction to absolutely heart-felt prayer!!?  Psalm 116, we presume it is by David, begins by saying, "I love the LORD, because he has heard my voice and my pleas for mercy. Because he inclined his ear to me, therefore I will call on him as long as I live."  May we all say "Amen" to that.

The thoughts of James are parallel, " 'God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble.' Submit yourselves therefore to God." [James 4:6-7]  We have to genuinely 'know' God - to be able to do this! We ‘prove’ we are really able to do this by how we live now – this day – this week.  

We will soon read in 1 John 4:8 "Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love."  But God’s love is not like that of a doting grandfather who ignores all our foolishness.

We must "submit" ourselves to God each day, to gain (as James’ chapter ends) "the wisdom from above (that) is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere.  And a harvest of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace."  

God's harvest time must be very near, so let each one of us, as we read in Hosea recently, "Sow for yourselves righteousness; reap steadfast love; break up your fallow ground, for it is the time to seek the LORD, that he may come and rain righteousness upon you." [Hosea 10:12]                           

-------

- DC

10 December 2015

Job 12

Nahum 1; 2

James 5  

"A STRONGHOLD IN THE DAY OF TROUBLE”

Our world is facing its’ ultimate “day of trouble” because it has turned its’ back on its’ Creator and is trying to convince itself that he does not exist.  Today we read the first 2 chapters of Nahum about how God’s wrath was going to come on Nineveh because, after repenting at the preaching of Jonah, its repentance melted away like the morning mist.  But at the same time as the LORD makes this awesome prediction – we must notice that, after the declaration that  “The LORD is slow to anger," he then says, "the LORD will by no means clear the guilty." And as a result "His way is in whirlwind and storm..." [Nahum 1:3]  Our world surely faces this!

Nahum asks, "Who can stand before his indignation?" and declares," His wrath is poured out like fire..." [Nahum 1:6]  And so it happened to Nineveh, its ruins are still to be seen today. Centuries later it happened to Jerusalem , then several centuries after that it happened to ancient Rome!  

But Nahum 1:7 is one we should highlight in our hearts, "The LORD is good, a stronghold in the day of trouble; he knows those who take refuge in him."  Let us make sure he "knows" you and I.

Our final chapter in James reveals a parallel vision of God's future actions against "the guilty." He warns those in Jerusalem, not many years before it was destroyed; "Come now, you rich, weep and howl for the miseries that are coming ... You have laid up treasure in the last days.... You have lived .... in luxury and in self-indulgence. You have fattened your hearts …." [James 5:1,3,5]  A thought provoking phrase "fattened your hearts" -  Do we "fatten" our hearts? If so, we will be “slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken!” [Luke 24:25] – if we ‘know’ what they have spoken at all: genuine belief is shown by the actions which then follow.

James advice to genuine believers is - "Establish your hearts, for the coming of the Lord is at hand." [James 5:8] And the Lord’s judgement came on Jerusalem, they had rejected His Son. The ultimate application of that advice is for us - today.  Back in Nahum we again highlight Nahum 1:7 "The LORD is "a stronghold in the day of trouble"  for those he "knows." Let us make sure we have the 'key' to that “stronghold” - in our hearts.   

A final thought from James is his reference to Job whose life story we are also reading  and meditating upon. In James 5:11 we read, "Behold, we consider those blessed who remained steadfast. You have heard of the steadfastness of Job ..."  Our steadfastness will ensure we have a "stronghold in the day of trouble"  An essential element in achieving this is our daily reading and meditation on God's word.

-------

- DC

11 December 2015

Job 13

Nahum 3

1 Peter 1 

“MORE PRECIOUS THAN GOLD” 

Today we started reading the Epistles of Peter – and what meaningful and thought provoking points he makes!  He tells us [1 Peter 1:3] that we have “a living hope.” Our world today is full of hopes – there are ‘prophets’ who are  trying to be hopeful about the future, such as halting ‘climate change’ – but they are all “vain hopes”.  Remember what “the LORD of hosts” said through Jeremiah, “"Do not listen to the words of the prophets who prophesy to you, filling you with vain hopes. They speak visions of their own minds, not from the mouth of the LORD." [Jeremiah 23:16]

How these “visions” contrast to the visionary thoughts Peter was inspired to write!  He says that God "according to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ ..." [1 Peter 1:3]  Those who embrace with all their heart this "living hope"  have "an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading" [1 Peter 1:4].  This "inheritance" – is a "recompense" for how we have lived our lives – this is highlighted in the last chapter of the Bible,  a final message from our Lord, "Behold, I am coming soon, bringing my recompense with me, to repay each one for what he has done." [Revelation 22:12]

To receive this "recompense"  writes Peter, at present, "for a little while, if necessary, you have been grieved by various trials".  Our minds must recognise this as  "the tested genuineness of your faith" and that this is "more precious than gold that perishes"  [1 Peter 1:6-7]  How wonderful - yet how challenging!  

Has our faith been, or is at present being strongly tested? As our world falls totally apart, it will surely be greatly tested then!  Paul's words in his 2nd letter to the Corinthians stimulate our minds on this testing question! "God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it." [1 Corinthians 10:13]

Back in Peter we see how he paints a faith stimulating scene of  what lies ahead for those striving with all their minds to be faithful believers,  He says that even "though their faith may be tested by fire­(it) may be found to result in praise and glory and honour at the revelation of Jesus Christ." [1 Peter 1:7]  

Then Peter adds more faith stimulating words. "Though you have not seen him, you love him. Though you do not now see him, you believe in him and rejoice with joy that is inexpressible and filled with glory, obtaining the outcome of your faith, the salvation of your souls." [1 Peter 1:8-9] 

What a 'picture' of the future - when we "by his grace" obtain "the outcome of (y)our faith, the salvation of our souls" - truly this is far "more precious than gold."    

-------

- DC

12 December 2015

Job 14

Habakkuk 1

1 Peter 2 

“THAT WE MIGHT DIE TO SIN” 

Further reading in 1 Peter today, [1 Peter 2] provides a sequel to yesterday's thoughts on faith - that it is “more precious than gold."  As we feed our minds on the word of God "we grow up into salvation" [1 Peter 2:2].  A wonderful feeling - do we each feel we are growing up in that way? Is our faith getting 'taller' - so that we can see further - spiritually?  How do we perceive our 'growth' compared to past years? 

Peter says we, "like living stones are being built up as a spiritual house, to be a holy priesthood, to offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ." [1 Peter 2:5] There are a lot of points in that verse to 'chew' over in our minds!

A 'priest" - as Peter now saw life in Christ, is someone who chooses of their own freewill (not because of descent) to live a life of commitment to Christ, a sort of ‘sacrificial’ commitment.  They become part of "a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvellous light." [1 Peter 2:9] We “proclaim” this by the life we live. 

This is wonderful - but we must remember it is a process of "being built up." [1 Peter 2:5]  It is following in the footsteps of Christ, it may means times of enduring, at least in some measure, experiencing sufferings.  Peter knew that an awesome time of trial lay ahead for Jerusalem.  1 Peter 2:20-21 expresses this clearly,   "... if when you do good and suffer for it you endure, this is a gracious thing in the sight of God.  For to this you have been called, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, so that you might follow in his steps."

Peter portrays a life of his total commitment, even unto a death that would "glorify God", a death to some degree, comparable to that of Christ.  Jesus had said this lay ahead for Peter [John 21:18-19].  Peter sees the sacrifice of Christ as providing the inspiration and vision for him and us "that we might die to sin and live to righteousness." [1 Peter 2:24] 

As in the Master's parables - there is no middle way!  At least some to whom Peter is writing had stumbled away from the narrow way - do we feel ourselves stumbling?  If so, may we see the last verse in today's chapter as a message of encouragement - "For you were straying like sheep, but have now returned to the Shepherd and Overseer of your souls" - this is because we have died to sin.

-------

- DC

13 December 2015

Job 15

Habakkuk 2

1 Peter 3; 4; 5  

"THE EYES OF THE LORD ARE ON THE RIGHTEOUS"

What is it to love life? For what reason do we love our lives? There would be a variety of answers to that question, probably similar in many cases, but with different emphases. It is the Apostle Peter who asks this question [1 Peter 3:10] in writing to believers who are “exiles of the dispersion” [1 Peter 1:1]. Their acceptance of Christ had turned their lives upside down as they faced the challenges to become totally genuine followers walking in the footsteps of Peter and of Christ.

Peter tells them, “all of you have unity of mind, sympathy, brotherly love, a tender heart, and a humble mind. Do not repay evil for evil or reviling for reviling” [1 Peter 3:8,9] Our natural instinct is to react to evil and reviling with some degree of the spirit of retaliation, we see this as we read today of Job’s reaction to the accusations of his three so-called friends.

We specially note what Peter writes next; “but on the contrary bless, for to this you were called, that you may obtain a blessing” [1 Peter 3:9] How do you bless – when someone reviles you? We are sure, when Peter was writing this, he was thinking of all the times the Master had spoken of this. Even on the cross he had prayed, “Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do.” [Luke 23:34] When people scoff at the Bible, they “know not what they do.”

When people were blessing his mother Jesus reacted by saying, “Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and keep it.” [Luke 11:28] This is the message of Peter for his next words are, after stating that a blessing is obtained by not returning reviling for reviling is - “Whoever desires to love life and see good days let him keep his tongue from evil and his lips from speaking deceit; let him turn away from evil and do good; let him (or her) seek peace and pursue it.” [1 Peter 3:10-11] Notice the little word “and” – indicating the intensity of attitude that is desirable. And the next verse gives a special reason for doing this.

“For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous, and his ears are open to their prayer.” [1 Peter 3:12] Let us love life in such a way that the ears of our Lord are open to our prayers.

-------

- DC  

14 December 2015

Job 16; 17

Habakkuk 3

2 Peter 1; 2  

“DIVINE POWER … HAS GRANTED TO US” 

The final letter of Peter contains many points that apply to our days, he writes “to those who have obtained a faith of equal standing with ours ..." [2 Peter 1:1]  What quality of faith Peter now had, the opposite to his state of mind after the arrest his Master.  What quality of faith are we in the process of developing?   That is a question it is vital that we each ask ourselves.

Peter writes to those who have been "granted …all things that pertain to life and godliness" [2 Peter 1:3]  What else has been granted to us - in comparison to what we see the godless have been granted - and take for granted! 

Peter says "the divine power ... has granted to us his precious and very great promises, so that through them you may become partakers of the divine nature" [2 Peter 1:4]   This will be because our lives now show we have "escaped from the corruption that is in the world because of sinful desire."  But our 'escape' must have led to a new way of life; of new priorities in thinking, reading and talking. 

Peter tells believers they must "make every effort to supplement your faith with virtue, and virtue with knowledge, and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with steadfastness, and steadfastness with godliness, and godliness with brotherly affection, and brotherly affection with love. [2 Peter 1:5-7]

What a wonderful picture of growth these words portray - growth in developing a character so that we become more and more like Jesus. Is our growth progressing well?

But then Peter has still more challenging words!  "For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they keep you from being ineffective or unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ." [2 Peter 1:8] 

Let us to live each day in ways which help these qualities to increase. The Scriptures provide us with the foundation for "all things that pertain to life and godliness"  Let us build on that foundation every day, truly taking hold of that which “divine power … has granted to us” – these inspired and inspiring Scriptures – for by this means, as Paul told Timothy we are "storing up treasure for (our)selves as a good foundation for the future, so that (we) may take hold of that which is truly life."   [1 Timothy 6:19]

-------

- DC

15 December 2015

Job 18; 19

Zephaniah 1

2 Peter 3 

"REMEMBER THE PREDICTIONS OF THE HOLY PROPHETS"

Today we read the final chapter of Peter's second and last epistle.  He says, "I am stirring up your sincere mind ... that you should remember the predictions of the holy prophets ..." [2 Peter 3:1-2] 

Our second reading today was Zephaniah 1, which has a challenging message for us - especially tomorrow's Zephaniah 2.  His first chapter warns, "Be silent before the Lord GOD! For the day of the LORD is near ..." [Zephaniah 1:7] and this is - initially - a message for Jerusalem. But then his words take on a much wider perspective, "I will bring distress on mankind, so that they shall walk like the blind, because they have sinned against the LORD ..." [Zephaniah 1:17]   But God has a future in store for individuals, who, like Job, remain faithful to him, even when things go badly wrong in their lives. Let us remember these and other predictions. 

In today's chapter 19 Job declares, "For I know that my Redeemer lives, and at the last he will stand upon the earth. And after my skin has been thus destroyed, yet in my flesh I shall see God,   whom I shall see for myself, and my eyes shall behold ... [Job 19:25-27]   May we, in faith, echo Job's words.

Returning to our chapter in Peter, let us highlight in 2 Peter 3:8-9 "... do not overlook this one fact, beloved, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.  The Lord is not slow to fulfil his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish ..." We take this to mean - 'that not any of you should perish.'

Peter proclaims, as does so much of Scripture, that there will be a "day of judgment and destruction of the ungodly." [2 Peter 3:7] But that time "will come like a thief, and then the heavens will pass away ..." [2 Peter 3:10]  It is clear as we read verse 13 that he does not mean the physical heavens will pass away.  2 Peter 3:13 tells us, "But according to his promise we are waiting for new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells."  

So the heavens means rulers, this will be the time when "out of Zion shall go the law and the word of the LORD from Jerusalem" and the LORD "shall judge between the nations, and shall decide disputes ..." [isaiah 2:3-4] Those counted “righteous” “in the first resurrection … will be priests .. and they will reign with him for a thousand years.” [Revelation 20:6] 

In 2 Peter 3:14 Peter challenges us to "be diligent to be found by him without spot or blemish, and at peace."  Let us seek that purity and  "peace" with all our hearts – for then we “will reign with him” “ receiving,” as Peter wrote in his first epistle, “an inheritance that is imperishable … for you, who by God's power are being guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.” [1 Peter 1:4-5] Surely we are now “in the last time.” 

-------

- DC

16 December 2015

Job 20

Zephaniah 2

1 John 1; 2 

“SEEK THE LORD”

When I was young, I, together with others. used to play “Hide and Seek’  It was fun.  When you become an adult, Paul says, of himself, “I gave up childish ways.” [1 Corinthians 13:11]   But when you are grown up you should still SEEK!    But what do you seek?  

This line of thought was prompted by the occurrence of the word SEEK 3 times in one verse in today’s 2nd chapter in Zephaniah. In Zephaniah 2:3 we read “seek the Lord, all you humble … who do his just commands, seek righteousness; seek humility, perhaps you may be hidden in the day of the anger of the LORD”  The various Scriptures that describe the ultimate day when the Creator makes plain to the world that he does exists –  they will see, that his anger is utterly awesome.

We saw in yesterday’s reading in Peter, his warning of God’s ultimate punishment on our totally godless world.  Zephaniah has a similar message; warnings which had their first fulfilment when Israel’s Kingdom came to an end.   Then Zephaniah looked further into the future, God told him there would ultimately come “a day of wrath … a day of distress and anguish …. I will bring distress on mankind so that they shall walk like the blind, because they have sinned against the LORD …  In the fire of his jealousy, all the earth shall be consumed” [Zephaniah 1:15,17,18]

God made us and all the world and when his creation continuously ceases to acknowledge that he exists there is every reason for his anger.    But those who “seek the Lord” and his righteousness can hope for protection in the day of the Lord’s anger.  We remember how Jesus said, the “angels will gather his elect  … heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away”  [Matthew 24:31,35] 

The heavens and earth referred to here  are the present set up of godless human rulers and the godless people who are ruled over.  So very few “seek the Lord” today – so many do not even think there is a Creator. “They will say”, as we read yesterday in 2 Peter 3:4, "Where is the promise of his coming? …. all things are continuing as they were from the beginning…” 

So many think the “beginning” was a ‘mindless’ evolving of all the incredible mass of life – life that is so wonderfully complex, and so “the fire of his jealousy” will suddenly burst forth.  Yet, thankfully, Jesus said, the Lord will “cut short the days, (or) no human being would be saved” [Mark 13:20] We must live in full appreciation that the greatest blessing in our lives now - is to have God’s word and to know how to “seek the Lord.”   Let us not neglect to do so – every day.

-------

- DC

17 December 2015

Job 21

Zephaniah 3

1 John 3; 4  

“BY THIS IS LOVE IS PERFECTED IN US”

The subject of LOVE is talked about so much that we may take what it means for granted; then again, there may be some unclear thoughts in our minds.  It is a simple, yet, at the same time, a profound subject.  The Apostle John uses it frequently in his Epistles. He himself is described as “the disciple whom Jesus loved.” [John 21:7,20]  But did not Jesus love them all?  Of course he did!  But love comes in degrees of intensity; it understands the character which is the objective of its love.  A mother still loves a naughty child, but there is a different “focus” to that love.

Jesus found it necessary from time to time to reprove the disciples for their little faith, to rebuke Peter for tempting him to disobey his Father, to chide Thomas for his lack of belief, unless he saw with his own eyes.   But John was prepared to go in and witness the trial of Jesus, although he does not name himself [John 18:15-16] and to stand beside the cross with Mary. [John 19:26-27]  All true believers must develop a living relationship with Jesus day after day.  

As in all true relationships, it must grow and blossom and bring forth fruit.  In his epistle, especially the chapters we read today, John writes, “You know that he appeared to take away sins, and in him is no sin.  No one who abides in him keeps on sinning; no one who keeps on sinning has either seen him or knows him” [1 John 3:5-6]  So those who fail to become more like Jesus have never really known him! John says they haven’t “seen him”. 

The sense of “see” as we have commented several times, quoting Paul’s words in Ephesians 1:18, is to have “the eyes of your hearts enlightened, that you may know what is the hope to which he has called you, what are the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints…” This is the “eyes” that our hearts develop to prove we have developed a real relationship with Jesus.   John goes on to write, “let us not love in word and talk, but in deed and in truth” [1 John 3:18]. Our actions prove we mean what we say!  

In the next chapter John writes, “No one has ever seen God; if we love one another, God abides in us and his love is perfected in us … we have come to know and to believe the love that God has for us.  God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him.  By this is love perfected in us, so that we may have confidence for the day of judgement … there is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear” [1 John 4:12,16-18] 

Yes, we know what love means – and the wonder of the meaning can frighten us.

-------

- DC

18 December 2015

Job 22

Haggai 1; 2

1 John 5  

“EMPTY NOTHINGS?”                                                                                                                            

At the end of the Book of Job we will read how God rebukes Eliphaz and his two friends who have argued with Job.  God tells them “you have not spoken of me what is right" [Job 42:7]  Today we read Job 22, the third speech of Eliphaz who is reacting to Job’s complaint that the ‘friends’ - “comfort me with empty nothings? There is nothing left of your answers but falsehood” [Job 21:34]

Consider the response of Eliphaz; can we see how wrong he is?  “Can a man be profitable to God?” he asks, “Surely he who is wise is profitable to himself. Is it any pleasure to the Almighty if you are in the right, or is it gain to him if you make your ways blameless?” [Job 22:2-3]

There is a half-truth in his implication that we cannot be profitable to God, but it is to God’s glory if we behave wisely with the wisdom that comes down from above.  Let us remember our reading in James 3:13-18 earlier this month – and that there is joy in heaven over every sinner who repents [Luke 15:7]

It is clear that Eliphaz and his 2 friends have a total mindset that when things go wrong in the life of a human being - then this is a punishment for some sin.   Even the disciples thought this way [John 9:2] when they asked Jesus concerning a blind man, “who sinned, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind?” Jesus had to correct them. 

The ways that God thinks are far beyond the way we think [isaiah 55:8-9] yet the more we read God’s word day after day, year after year, the more we can tune in to his wavelength.  Those who do not do this so often utter “empty nothings”, like saying God is purely a God of love.   

“Love” has been a key word in John’s epistles, as we have seen.  Is it significant that the word “love” does not occur in the book of Job?   Yet God “blessed the latter days of Job” [Job 42:12] and showed his love toward him by the blessings he then received.  By the same principle he will bless us if we speak of God that which is right, as Job did, and also, of course, do that which is right. The ‘foundation’ for this is laid when we read God’s word every day.

-------

- DC

19 December 2015

Job 23; 24

Zechariah 1

2 John 1; 3 John 1  

“I HAVE TREASURED THE WORDS OF HIS MOUTH"

Job and his “friends” are talking at complete cross purposes.  It is evident the “friends” are not really listening to him, they are not taking in the points he is making.  It seems to us there is a parallel here with today: those who claim to believe there is a God, very few really read God’s word to take into their minds - and hearts - its message for today – and tomorrow!

But Job maintains his faith although he is not granted the personal contact with God he seeks.  In today's chapter, Job 23,  he declares, “I go forward, but he is not there, and backward, but I do not perceive him" [Job 23:8] But, in faith, he says, " …he knows the way that I take; when he has tried me, I shall come out as gold." [Job 23:10]  This is what happens in the end to you and I – as long as we follow the example of Job and join with him in what he further declares, "My foot has held fast to his steps; I have kept his way ... I have treasured the words of his mouth ..." [Job 23:11-12]

How wonderful when we can say the same: but the more we contemplate the immensity of what God must be, the more we are inclined to join Job in saying, "he will complete what he appoints for me ... Therefore I am terrified at his presence ... God has made my heart faint" [Job 23:14-16]   Can we grasp the reality of the Creator - and, especially, his all-seeing presence!?  Are not our hearts overwhelmed if we intensely pursue such a line of meditation?

How wonderful that we have a mediator, but how real is our Lord Jesus to us? Let us fully appreciate how much we need him: in attempting this appreciation, our thoughts go to our readings in John's second short epistle. It is written to "the elect lady and her children, whom I love in truth ..." This is genuine love, true love. There are words in John's gospel that echo with this!    "... when Jesus knew that his hour had come to depart out of this world to the Father, having loved his own who were in the world, he loved them to the end." [John 13:1] 

This is the ultimate evidence of committed relationship: it is the ultimate example for us.  It is evidence that John, in his senior years fully experienced and practiced this "love in truth."  Are we following his example?  

Back to Job to stress his words.  Let us say with him, "I have treasured the words of his mouth" and show this day after day.  And let us love all those who do the same - and set an example to those who do not yet fully do so. Finally, the words of Paul to Timothy come to mind, “we toil and strive, because we have our hope set on the living God.” [1 Timothy 4:10] Because we “have treasured” God’s words - let us set our hope in this way - every day – until he come – and our faith is turned to sight. 

-------

- DC

20 December 2015

Job 25; 26; 27

Zechariah 2; 3

Jude 1  

“WHO IS ABLE TO …. AND TO PRESENT YOU”  

Today we read the 25 verses of the Epistle of Jude.  He describes himself as the brother of James.  It is reasonable to conclude this James is the one who is the chief spokesman of the believers in Jerusalem [Acts 15:13] and are both sons of Mary, the mother of Jesus.   Judging by the urgency in his language, his epistle is written about the same time as Peter’s second letter: his message is very similar - there is a crisis among believers.  

He addresses it to “those who are called, beloved in God the Father and kept for Jesus Christ” [Jude 1]   Are there some in the church who are not “called” and are therefore not “kept” for the Lord?   It seems so, for his letter is “appealing to you to contend for the faith that was once for all delivered to the saints. For certain people have crept in unnoticed … who pervert the grace of our God unto sensuality …” [Jude 3-4] That reminds us of Paul’s complaint in writing to the Romans, “Are we to continue in sin that grace may abound? By no means!” [Romans 6:1-2]  

We hear this foolish way of thinking expressed today in some churches in the phrase ‘Once saved, always saved’, which in effect apparently means, you cannot become unsaved; Christ will always forgive you, no matter what!    God’s grace does abound ­ and our response must be to show our appreciation ­ by how we live ­ as King David did after he had grievously sinned.

Jude’s letter is an appeal to remember the lessons of history especially the failure of the people of Israel after they were miraculously delivered from bondage in Egypt. [Jude 5] He comments how the Apostles have been warning, “In the last time there will be scoffers following their own ungodly passions.  It is these who cause divisions, devoid of the spirit. But you beloved, build yourselves up in your most holy faith … that leads to eternal life” [Jude 18-21]   

Jude’s “last time” ­ was the end of Jerusalem ­ and the destruction of the Temple. His message is just as appropriate for us today, for we live in the Gentile “last times.”  “Scoffers” abound today. 

Jude ends his message by being wonderfully positive, a prayer and vision for us to hold in our minds every day! “Now unto him who is able to keep you from stumbling and to present you blameless before the presence of his glory with great joy, to the only God, our Saviour, through Jesus Christ our Lord, be glory, majesty, dominion and authority, before all time and now and forever. Amen.”   

-------

- DC

21 December 2015

Job 28

Zechariah 4; 5

Revelation 1; 2  

"BUT WHERE SHALL WISDOM BE FOUND?"

What is wisdom? That is, wisdom as God sees wisdom?  Last week we read in James that the only wisdom  worth possessing is “the wisdom from above (which) is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere." [James 3:17]  James next tells us that "a harvest of righteousness" is the reward for finding and practicing this kind of wisdom. 

"But where shall wisdom be found?" is the question Job puts to the 3 "friends" as we read today in Job 28:12. He receives no answer.  It is one we can and should ask today! Our world is overflowing with degrees of knowledge never dreamed of by previous generations. 

But how appropriate for today are the questions Job puts to the "friends." He asks, after observing the cleverness of men in those days to "open shafts" and discover "the place of sapphires, and ... gold" [Job 28:4,6] and that "Man puts his hand to the flinty rock .... He cuts out channels in the rocks, and his eye sees every precious thing." [Job 28:9-10]  Man was clever and wonderfully industrious even them!  

But how true are Job's further questions and observations, "But where shall wisdom be found? And where is the place of understanding?  Man does not know ..." [Job 28:12-13]  Job persists with his questions, but the "friends" are silent. " "From where, then, does wisdom come?"  Job asks, "And where is the place of understanding?  It is hidden from the eyes of all living ..." [Job 28:20-21]

Then Job declares, "God understands the way to it ... and declared it; he established it, and searched it out.   And he said to man, 'Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom, and to turn away from evil is understanding.' [Job 28:27-28]   Consider – the ‘awe’ we should feel in our hearts the more we sense what God must be.

The Scriptures alone reveal the wonder of all that the Creator is - insofar as mortal humans, if they seek, are able to grasp.  The more we grasp this, the more we can start to echo David's words in Psalm 119.

"I have more understanding than all my teachers, for your testimonies are my meditation.  ...I keep your precepts.   I hold back my feet from every evil way, in order to keep your word.   I do not turn aside ...  How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth!   Through your precepts I get understanding; therefore I hate every false way." [Psalm 119:99-104] 

Can we join David in saying this?   Should not this be our response when we become aware, as Jesus declared in today's chapter 2 in Revelation; "I am he who searches mind and heart, and I will give to each of you according to your works." [Revelation 2:23] 

-------

- DC

22 December 2015

Job 29; 30

Zechariah 6; 7

Revelation 3; 4  

“I KNOW YOUR WORKS”  

Today we completed reading the letters to the 7 ecclesias that are featured in Revelation 2; 3. Each letter begins with the declaration by Christ, “I know your works” 

The ecclesias which received the greatest commendations for their works are the ones experiencing the greatest trials!  This is ‘food’ for careful thought: let’s meditate on the processes of human nature, when life is without its’ challenges, are we still fully motivated to serve our Saviour? Challenges – either sweep us away – or make us stronger.  

We should be careful about human assessments of the strength of our spiritual reputation: consider the letter addressed to the church at Sardis [Revelation 3:1] starts, "'I know your works. You have the reputation of being alive ..." But this is the human perception as to their reputation!  The divine perception is "but you are dead."  That is, dead spiritually!   But they were not entirely so, the next verses  tell us, "Yet you have still a few names in Sardis, people who have not soiled their garments, and they will walk with me in white, for they are worthy”  Jesus says of these, “I will never blot his name out of the book of life. I will confess his name before my Father and before his angels."   

The translators are in a dilemma whether to translate the Gk word onoma into English as 'name' or 'reputation' - the context shows which is best.  Jesus - in 'confessing'  (making known) the names of those seen to be worthy, is actually saying - what character they have developed – what reputation - as worthy (or not) brothers and sisters who have taken on his name – and therefore have shown – his reputation. 

The letter to Philadelphia [Revelation 3:7-13] praises the works of the members there, for although, Jesus says  "I know that you have but little power, and yet you have kept my word and have not denied my name." [Revelation 3:8]   - their way of life has not tarnished the reputation of Christ! 

Revelation 3:10 has an application to some believers today, such as those in Iran for example. Jesus tells them, "Because you have kept my word about patient endurance, I will keep you from the hour of trial that is coming on the whole world." Jesus especially encourages them to "Hold fast what you have, so that no one may seize your crown." [Revelation 3:11]

Can we each 'hear' Jesus telling us, "I know your works" ?  We can - if God's word comes alive in our minds as we read it - and read it every day!   By this means we maintain - indeed, increase - our sense of commitment to live every day in ways that show we are spiritually alive - and truly bear the name of Christ in truth - and he will say on that day (and how soon is it now?) "I knew your works." 

-------

- DC

23 December 2015

Job 31; 32

Zechariah 8

Revelation 5; 6  

“WORTHY IS THE LAMB”

“Who is worthy ….?”  This is a key question for us in our readings in the book of Revelation today.  In reading this final book in God’s word, our minds can get ‘bogged down’ in debating the meaning of individual details, but it is spiritually invaluable to gain the overall spirit – and wonder – of this final message/vision which our Saviour – has given to us. We have come to think of the visions from Revelation 4 onwards as rather like walking around a round house and often viewing largely the same scene from different perspectives.  

A "mighty angel" poses the question, “Who is worthy?” [Revelation 5:2]  The first answer is in the last verse of Revelation 4; “"Worthy are you, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honour and power, for you created all things, and by your will they existed and were created."   

There are "24 elders" who "fell down before the Lamb ... And they sang a new song, saying, "Worthy are you to take the scroll and to open its seals, for you were slain, and by your blood you ransomed people for God from every tribe and language and people and nation, and you have made them a kingdom and priests to our God, and they shall reign on the earth." [Revelation 5:9-10]

Our minds, or rather our hearts, cannot truly absorb the reality of this.  But we must try, remembering what we read last Wednesday in Zephaniah, "Seek the LORD, all you humble ... who do his just commands; seek righteousness; seek humility; perhaps you may be hidden on the day of the anger of the LORD." [Zephaniah 2:3]

Back in Revelation John tells us he hears "the voice of many angels ... saying ... "Worthy is the Lamb who was slain, to receive power and wealth and wisdom and might and honour and glory and blessing!" [Revelation 5:12]  These are seven things the Lord is worthy to receive. We are also in awed meditation of the situation and experience of those "who (are worthy) to share(s) in the first resurrection! Over such the second death has no power, but they will be priests of God and of Christ, and they will reign with him for a thousand years." [Revelation 20:6]

They (us!?) will surely experience in some measure - worthiness - the same as "the lamb" is "worthy" to receive. Finally, we meditate on what is recorded at the end of this inspiring final book of the Bible. John says, "I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away" [Revelation 21:1] when "The one who conquers will have this heritage, and I will be his God and he will be my son." [Revelation 21:7] 

Let us live today – and all the days of our mortality yet to come - fully conscious in our hearts (not just our minds) that "the one who conquers will be clothed thus in white garments, and I will never blot his name out of the book of life." [Revelation 3:5] and such will be counted as "worthy" to reign with "the Lamb."

-------

- DC

24 December 2015

Job 33

Zechariah 9

Revelation 7; 8; 9  

"THE LORD ... WILL PROTECT THEM"

What a mixture of chapters we have today.  In Job, Elihu continues his speech, a young man who rebukes Job's 3 friends because of their attitude to Job: he invites Job to "listen to all my words." [Job 33:1] His role in the 'drama' is not clear, when the 'LORD' comes on the scene in Job 38 he makes no reference to Elihu as he rebukes the 3 "friends" – saying "you have not spoken of me what is right, as my servant Job has." [Job 42:7]  It rather seems that Elihu is the forerunner preparing the way for God to speak - a kind of John the Baptist.

Zechariah 9 is most interesting and challenging to understand: the climax to the chapter invites us to see its application as being to the days when Jesus first came - and - when he comes again. Zechariah 9:9 describes when he first came, "Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion! Shout aloud, O daughter of Jerusalem! Behold, your king is coming to you; righteous and having salvation is he, humble and mounted on a donkey, on a colt, the foal of a donkey ..."  However, they rejected him and the rest of the chapter applies to when he comes again, a time when "he shall speak peace to the nations; his rule shall be from sea to sea, and from the River to the ends of the earth." [Zechariah 9:10] He declares, "I will stir up your sons, O Zion ... and wield you like a warrior's sword." [Zechariah 9:13] What will this be – in practice? 

The prophet declares  "The LORD of hosts will protect them ... On that day the LORD their God will save them, as the flock of his people ... For how great is his goodness ..." [Zechariah 9:15-17]  It seems increasingly clear that these events could be about to happen.  As the LORD acts to "protect them" may he, by his grace, protect all those who believe in his Son with all their hearts - and whose lives display their faith. 

We finally turned to the 'jigsaw' of the events described in Revelation. Revelation 9 highlights the un-binding of the angels that have been "bound at the great river Euphrates." [Revelation 9:14] We deduce this as applying to the collapse of the Turkish Empire - and all the drama that has followed in the Middle East in the last 99 years.  

We read of a particular "the hour, the day, the month, and the year" when the angels are to be "released to kill a third of mankind." [Revelation 9:15] Awesome!  Fearsome!  Is this literal?  How utterly godless our world has become in the last 100 years! But the 'end' does not immediately follow, "the rest of mankind" does not "repent of their murders or their sorceries or their sexual immorality or their thefts." [Revelation 9:20-21]  Think of what makes news today!

We take both comfort and inspiration from the words of Jesus, expressed in the past tense, that "if the Lord had not cut short the days, no human being would be saved. But for the sake of the elect, whom he chose, he shortened the days." [Mark 13:20]  May we, by his grace, soon see the world of today in the same way - because we - by his grace - will be in the kingdom - because "the Lord ... will protect" us - for "how great is his goodness" going to be toward the natural and spiritual seed of "Abraham" to whom "the gospel" was first "preached" [Galatians 3:8]

-------

- DC

25 December 2015

Job 34

Zechariah 10

Revelation 10; 11  

"THERE WOULD BE NO MORE DELAY"                                                                                                

In the Old Testament we read how often there were bad kings on the throne in Jerusalem that corrupted the people, or were corrupt because of the people, kings like Manasseh, yet God – from our human perspective – kept delaying his action to destroy the Holy City and its Temple.

Then in the New Testament Jesus wept over Jerusalem and forecast its destruction and that of the Temple.  Yet 40 years elapsed after they crucified their Messiah before God’s judgements were carried out, in that time there was a great ingathering of individuals, who like, Paul, came to believe  and serve Jesus with all their heart.

Now, the message in Revelation indicates a humanly indeterminate length of time as God’s keeps watch over the affairs of human beings while our Lord our mediator, as “the Lamb of God (is) seated in the midst of the throne will be their shepherd, and he will guide them to springs of living water …” [Revelation 7:17] and God’s word, for those who diligently read it, provides that living water.

But, in coming to Revelation 10 today, we read that the time was to come when “there would be no more delay, but in the days of the trumpet call to be sounded by the seventh angel, the mystery of God would be fulfilled, just as he announced to his servants the prophets” [Revelation 10:6-7]

An example of this is our current reading in Zechariah. Zechariah 10 forecasts Israel’s return to their own land, “I will bring them back because I have compassion on them, and they shall be as though I had not rejected them, for I am the LORD their God” [Zechariah 10:6] and “I will make them strong in the LORD and they shall walk in his name” [Zechariah 10:12] 

Back in today’s chapter, Revelation 11, we read, “the seventh angel blew his trumpet, and there were loud voices in heaven saying, ‘The kingdom of the world has become the kingdom of our Lord and his Christ, and he shall reign forever and ever … The nations raged, but your wrath came, and the time for the dead to be judged and for rewarding your servants … those who fear your name both small and great …” [Revelation 11:15,18]   

No matter how small we feel in the affairs of the world, if we fear, which means, are in awe of all that God and His Son must be, let us redouble our efforts to serve them in the coming year – not knowing how soon it will be before God says, there will “be no more delay”.

-------

- DC