TFTBR - November 2015

Resource Manager

01 November 2015

2 Chronicles 30

Daniel 10

Acts 10  

“YOU SET YOUR HEART … AND HUMBLED YOURSELF” 

All three of our Bible readings this morning provide inspiration in their accounts of dramatic events showing God at work among human beings whom he called to serve him – despite their frailties. But God only reaches out to involve humans in serving him in some capacity when he sees they have the right kind of attitude of heart.

In the Book of Acts we read of the Roman Centurion Cornelius who had an encounter with an angel, this in turn led to the Apostle Peter’s personal interaction with the Lord in a vision he was given on the rooftop.  The climax was when Peter baptised a whole group of people who were Gentiles whom he met in the home of Cornelius. The Holy Spirit came upon them to remove any reservations Peter would have had to do this. The ‘holier than thou’ Jewish attitude then became a thing of the past for those who believed in Jesus.

In our Chronicles reading yesterday we had the dramatic account of what happened when Hezekiah came to the throne. This God fearing King immediately set about to change the mood of the nation after several bad kings. In the very first month of his reign he opened up the Temple and organised for it to be cleaned out and the holy vessels used in worship to be restored.

Today we read of a Great Passover that was celebrated with invitations going out to all 12 tribes: tragically many responded to those who brought the invitations by laughing at them, pouring “scorn and mocking them.” [2 Chronicles 30:10] This made us think of the attitude of some today when they encounter those who believe in the Bible. 

Finally, in Daniel we have this aged prophet, maybe in his 90’s, having his final encounter with the angel of God with a vision of “the latter days.” The “vision is for days yet to come” [Daniel 10:14]. He is told, “Fear not Daniel for from the first day that you set your heart to understand and humbled yourself before your God your words have been heard” [Daniel 10:12]. Let us humbly set our hearts to understand and sense that – God is saying to us the same words that he said to Daniel, “fear not, peace be with you, be strong and of good courage” [Daniel 10:19] for God is surely at work in the final days of our godless world – and this will soon become fully evident to the whole world.     

-------

- DC

02 November 2015

2 Chronicles 31

Daniel 11

Acts 11; 12 

"THE WORD OF GOD INCREASED ..."

What a marvellous era it was – under God’s guiding care when the church was first established – "the word of God increased and multiplied" as we read today at the conclusion of Acts 12. 

There was opposition – Herod "laid violent hands on some who belonged to the church" – in particular he "killed James the brother of John with the sword" [Acts 12:1-2]  Some of the believers were confused – the devout adherents to keeping the Law  were  critical of Peter because he went "and ate with" non-Jews when Cornelius was converted.  Peter explained, how "the Holy Spirit fell on them just as on us at the beginning " [Acts 11:15] and said "who was I that I could stand in God's way?" [Acts 11:17] "The circumcision party" [Acts 11:2] tested the faith of the apostles!  

Is it really that much different today – issues arise to test our faith? In the end, the true faith is stronger for this – but we must respond to any testing in a Christ-like way. 

Herod "proceeded to arrest Peter also." [Acts 12:3] and he "was kept in prison, but earnest prayer for him was made to God by the church." [Acts 12:5] Let's step back and try to see, what might be called 'the big picture.'  It is 'bad' events that cause more  earnest prayer. The picture develops that "the word of God increases" more effectively when it has opposition to overcome – those converted are more committed!  

We read the account of Peter's miraculous deliverance from prison – how that must have built up the faith of the believers after the tragedy of the death of John's brother James.  

Herod is revealed as a man of great pride – and when "the people of Tyre and Sidon" [Acts 12:20] "asked for peace ... Herod put on his royal robes, took his seat upon the throne, and delivered an oration to them.   And the people were shouting, 'The voice of a god, and not of a man!'  Immediately an angel of the Lord struck him down, because he did not give God the glory ..." [Acts 12:21-23]

No one gives "God the glory" today – they even deny his creative work. How long before God sends the angels?  The last ingathering is surely nearly completed – we have seen how "the word of God" has "increased" – let us be bold in being part of the final ingathering  "for whoever is ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, of (them) will the Son of Man also be ashamed when he comes in the glory of his Father with the holy angels." [Mark 8:38]

-------

- DC

03 November 2015

2 Chronicles 32

Daniel 12

Acts 13

"A TIME OF TROUBLE SUCH AS NEVER HAS BEEN"

The range of readings we have today are more than usually thought provoking. Firstly we read of Hezekiah, one of the most dedicated and righteous kings to reign in Jerusalem – but God tested him by allowing "a time of trouble" – but he remained faithful. When he "prayed because of this and cried to heaven ... the LORD sent an angel, who cut off all the mighty warriors and commanders and officers in the camp of the king of Assyria. So he returned with shame of face to his own land." [2 Chronicles 32:20-21]

However, as we read on, we see "Hezekiah did not make return according to the benefit done to him, for his heart was proud. Therefore wrath came upon him ... But Hezekiah humbled himself for the pride of his heart ..." [2 Chronicles 32:25-26] A vital lesson for us – to humbly appreciate and make return for the privilege of the wonder of the fellowship we develop with our Saviour – and increasingly so – as surely – the "time of trouble, such as never has been since there was a nation till that time" that we read in Daniel 12:1 is approaching.  The "nation" referred to – is Israel.  

We are in awe of the words that come next! "But at that time your people shall be delivered, everyone whose name shall be found written in the book.  And many of those who sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt. And those who are wise shall shine ... and those who turn many to righteousness, like the stars forever"  Daniel 12:4 tells us "the words" are sealed "until the time of the end" when "many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall increase." A remarkable description of our world today.

Paul worked hard to "turn many to righteousness" as we read in Acts 13 today.  First he gave them a history lesson (from Acts 13:16).  He highlighted how God "raised up David to be their king, of whom he testified and said, 'I have found in David the son of Jesse a man after my heart, who will do all my will.' [Acts 13:22]  An example to them – and also to us!  Paul appealed to "those among you who fear God,” saying “to us has been sent the message of this salvation." [Acts 13:26] 

Do we "fear" God – especially in this increasing "time of trouble, such as never has been" the like of which has never existed before! Paul said, "the Lord has commanded us, saying, "'I have made you a light for the Gentiles, that you may bring salvation to the ends of the earth.'" [Acts 13:47]  The message has now reached "the ends of the earth" Has it really penetrated our hearts?  God’s message must achieve more than an intellectual acknowledgement in our minds – otherwise we will not endure the "time of trouble, such as never has been"  

-------

- DC

04 November 2015

2 Chronicles 33

Hosea 1

Acts 14; 15  

"THINGS KNOWN FROM OF OLD"

Today we read details about the extensive missionary work of the Apostle Paul – first with Barnabas – then with Silas.  Paul and Barnabas returned to Antioch and "declared all that God had done with them, and how he had opened a door of faith to the Gentiles." [Acts 14:27]

There followed a time of crisis when "some men came down from Judea" [Acts 15:1] to Antioch, " teaching the brothers, "Unless you are circumcised according to the custom of Moses, you cannot be saved." 

This caused "no small dissension and debate" [Acts 15:2] so that "Paul and Barnabas and some of the others were appointed to go up to Jerusalem to the apostles and the elders about this question." The rest of the chapter details the conference held at Jerusalem to resolve this. 

The key example used to refute the claims of these "men" from "Judea" – who also wanted the converts "to keep the law of Moses" [Acts 15:5], was the dramatic conversion and baptism of Cornelius and others at Caesarea. Paul and Barnabas had also related how "they passed through both Phoenicia and Samaria, describing in detail the conversion of the Gentiles, and brought great joy to all the brothers." [Acts 15:3]  And what joys we ourselves have experienced in recent years as a result of missionary ventures! 

We are only given brief details of the Conference – but one key factor was how James, the key brother at Jerusalem, quoted Amos 9:11-12 to them saying, "with this the words of the prophets agree, just as it is written, "'After this I will return, and I will rebuild the tent of David that has fallen; I will rebuild its ruins,  and I will restore it,  that the remnant of mankind may seek the Lord, and all the Gentiles who are called by my name,  says the Lord, who makes these things  known from of old.'" [Acts 15:15-18]

And today we are marvelling afresh about "the things known from of old" – as we now read the prophet Hosea and then Joel – who in particular was caused to record God's prophecies about the climax of the ages when, the Lord says, "I will restore the fortunes of Judah and Jerusalem" [Joel 3:1] 

We are living in momentous times, "a time of trouble such as never has been" [Daniel 12:1] and only those who really know God's word, having filled their minds with its spiritually elevating messages will have "great joy" far greater than that experienced as a result of the reports of Paul and Barnabas.   

-------

- DC

05 November 2015

2 Chronicles 34

Hosea 2

Acts 16; 17  

“ALL THAT IS WRITTEN IN THIS BOOK”

There is only one book that can transform lives – and when that ‘book’ was discovered as they cleared out the temple in the reign of the young king Josiah [2 Chronicles 34:1-3], life in the Holy Land was transformed.  But that only happened because the king, from a young age, only 16 [2 Chronicles 34:1-3] “began to seek the God of his fathers”.

What an effect the discovery of that book had!  But we must realize that it only had that effect because they read and saw that its words had a divine source. It was more than a human book: they believed what they read and acted to show their belief. 

They also realized that God had been in action to bring (or allow) their troubled situation to arise, “because our fathers have not kept the word of the LORD, to do according to all that is written in this book.” [2 Chronicles 34:21]

This principle of life in the sight of God has not changed – as we see in the readings in Acts. The Apostle Paul, preaching in Thessalonica “went in, as his custom was, and on three Sabbath days reasoned with them out of the Scriptures.”  [Acts 17:2]   Those who did not want to open their minds to what the Scriptures really mean, opposed Paul’s reasoning – and friction followed.  But out of it all “some of them were persuaded and joined Paul and Silas” [Acts 17:4]  What lessons can we take from the attitudes around us today? Sadly, so many are so enjoying all the diversions this life offers, they do not give themselves a chance to be persuaded. 

Let’s return to Acts 2 and imagine the spirit that existed after Peter’s speech at Pentecost!  They had been “cut to the heart” and said – and imagine the state of mind as they said this, “Brothers, what shall we do?” [Acts 2:37]  

What a special time followed.  We cannot hear Peter – or Paul – today – but we all have the opportunity to read “all that” God has caused to be “written” and preserved – and is now freely available in just about every language! 

It alone provides genuine inspiration for our lives – and to believe our world has a wondrous future. The developments in God’s Holy Land over the last 100 years are a remarkable sign for us – as an example, look at what “is written” in tomorrow’s second portion of our readings, Hosea 3.  It ends, “Afterward the children of Israel shall return and seek the LORD their God … and they shall come in fear to the LORD and to his goodness in the latter days.” 

-------

- DC

06 November 2015

2 Chronicles 35

Hosea 3

Acts 18; 19  

“I AM INNOCENT. FROM NOW ON …”     

Today we read two very stirring chapters about the total commitment of the Apostle Paul to preach – to witness to as many as possible about the eternal life giving message of our Lord Jesus Christ.  It is the only message that matters – from the point of view of our eternal expectations. 

These chapters give some indication of the dangers that surrounded the Apostle.  At Corinth “the Lord said to Paul one night in a vision, ‘Do not be afraid, but go on speaking and do not be silent …” [Acts 18:9].  In his 2nd letter to the Corinthians Paul commented on “the affliction we experienced in Asia.  For we were so utterly burdened  beyond our strength that we despaired of life itself. Indeed, we felt we had received the sentence of death.  But that was to make us rely not on ourselves but on God who raises the dead.  He delivered us from such a deadly peril, and he will deliver us.  On him we have set our hope that he will deliver us again.  You also must help us by prayer, so that many will give thanks …” [2 Corinthians 1:8-11] Let us imagine we were living then, how Paul’s words and experiences would both challenge and inspire us!  But shouldn’t they also do that today? 

Returning to Acts we notice how Paul “when they (the Jews) opposed and reviled him, he shook out his garments and said to them, ‘Your blood be on your own heads! I am innocent.  From now on I will go to the Gentiles. [Acts 18:6]   Do our hearts accept his meaning – “I am innocent”? 

He means he has fulfilled his responsibility before God to witness to his own countrymen!

These words have a lesson for us: first to witness to those among whom we live – and then – after we have done that and become “innocent” –  having a clear conscience of having carried out our responsibility in the service of God, we should seek to make opportunities to go further afield seeking places where people are more prepared to listen – as Paul did. And there are certainly countries today where people are more prepared to listen.  

If it is physically impossible for us to do this then the next best thing is to support those who can and so be “innocent” in the sight of God and our Saviour.   And we must also “help … by prayer.”

-------

- DC

07 November 2015

2 Chronicles 36

Hosea 4

Acts 20  

"WHICH IS ABLE TO BUILD YOU UP"

Do you and I often feel we need something to build us up?  This is more particularly in the sense of – greater strength of mind.  This world, especially its’ godlessness and emphasis on fleshly pursuits, increasing threatens to burden down those seeking to be ‘worthy’  before God.  Paul told the Thessalonians, "we always pray for you, that our God may make you worthy of his calling and may fulfil every resolve for good and every work of faith by his power, so that the name of our Lord Jesus may be glorified in you ..." [2 Thessalonians 1:11-12]

Our thoughts were prompted to flow along these lines as we read Acts 20, which provides a firsthand account by Luke of Paul's final testimony before "the elders of the ecclesia" from Ephesus. [Acts 20:17-20] Paul tells them he was so committed that he "did not shrink from declaring to you anything that was profitable ... teaching you ... testifying ... of repentance toward God and of faith in our Lord Jesus Christ." [Acts 20:20-21] 

It could be that our sense of "repentance" needs to be stronger!  Some seem to use the word "grace" so freely that they 'smother' their feelings of guilt and sinfulness about what they often think – and even do!  Paul sets us the ultimate example of total commitment.  Luke records him as telling these elders, "I do not account my life of any value nor as precious to myself, if only I may finish my course and the ministry that I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God." [Acts 20:24]

How wonderful it is that, as Paul told these Ephesians in his letter to them, "by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God" [Ephesians 2:8] Our heartfelt appreciation of this must cause us, as Paul told the Philippians in his letter to them, to "work out your own salvation with fear and trembling ..." [Philippians 2:12]  Do we work out our own salvation this way?

Back in our Acts chapter we see that Paul's speech to the Ephesian elders reaches its climax when he says,  "And now I commend you to God and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up and to give you the inheritance among all those who are sanctified." [Acts 20:32]  How passing all present wonder this is!  

Let us genuinely feed – with a meditative heart – on this "word" every day so that we are really built up – for we sense it will not be long before our faith is turned to sight. 

-------

- DC

08 November 2015

Ezra 1; 2

Hosea 5

Acts 21; 22 

"LET THE WILL OF THE LORD BE DONE"  

We are reading the dramatic account of how the Apostle Paul loses his freedom.  Those who possessed the Holy Spirit gift of prophecy in the places he visited were moved by the Spirit to say that if he went to Jerusalem he would be arrested and bound and imprisoned. This is particularly predicted in today’s reading of Acts 21.  This made his audience very emotional in trying to persuade Paul not to go up to Jerusalem. 

Paul’s response is to say, “What are you doing, weeping and breaking my heart? For I am ready not only to be imprisoned but even to die in Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus.” [Acts 21:13]  Luke, the author of the book of Acts who was travelling with Paul at this time says, “since he would not be persuaded, we ceased and said, ‘Let the will of the Lord be done.’” 

This illustrates for us that there can be times in our lives when we have to make a decision as to whether we will think in terms of ‘safety first’ – or it might be ‘comfort first’ in doing or not doing something.  If we really believe in Jesus and his involvement in our lives and we are persuaded not to do something in serving him because it involves some risks as some aspects of a coming venture are potentially dangerous – we must make sure that the motives behind our decision are right in the sight of God.  

This is especially the case if some valuable service is left undone as a result of our decision. Let us try to see the bigger picture, those who do will say, “Let the will of the Lord be done.”  As we read more in Acts, let us look at the bigger picture of unfolding events in the life of Paul.

Hosea was distraught, as we also read today, because, as the Hosea 5 starts, they did not heed his words from God, “Hear this, O priests! Pay attention …”  The time was to come when “they shall go to seek the LORD but they shall not find him; he has withdrawn from them.” [Hosea 5:6]. Paul wrote to the Corinthians saying, “now is the favourable time; behold now is the day of salvation … as servants of God we commend ourselves in every way by great endurance” [2 Corinthians 6:2,4]  What times of endurance face us?  Let us face them in faith – What a great example Paul is!  And, to some extent, there are modern day examples.  

-------

- DC

09 November 2015

Ezra 3; 4

Hosea 6

Acts 23; 24

“AS HE REASONED ABOUT RIGHTEOUSNESS” 

There is a lot of discussion in the world over what to do about climate change – there are different interpretations over what is claimed to be ‘evidence.’ Those who are going to pay most for the action said to be needed – appear to disagree the most. Lots of voices, but little harmony!

This lack of harmony is well illustrated in our readings in the book of Acts. The Apostle Paul was the centre of attention, they could not deny the things he said so they had to resort to false allegations.  Such are the ways of human nature, it was shown at its worst with the plot to ambush and murder Paul.  

Times have changed but human nature hasn’t.  But what is it that really matters in all the debating?  It has been well said that nobody wins an argument!  Why is that?  Because nobody really listens to know whether they agree or not with at least some of what the “opposition” is saying.  The most challenging reasoning is that which centres on how a situation is actually going to affect you.  

Now this is what Paul did in his contact with Felix, the Roman Governor, who had “a rather accurate knowledge of the Way (of Christ): [Acts 24:22] and “he sent for Paul and heard him speak about faith in Christ Jesus” [Acts 24:25]  What did Paul tell him about Jesus?  We would love to know more but note how the text says “as he reasoned about righteousness and self-control and the coming judgement, Felix was alarmed” 

Paul was making the matter personal,  the way Christ had, in carrying out his Father’s will set in motion the ultimate challenge to human life. It was going to affect Felix … and, of course, us.   Do we back away from thinking really personally about what the Bible message means to me, how this is going to affect my life?  When we talk to other people about Christ, do we end by making it personal? This is the example Paul set. 

Of course, whether we follow the way of Christ or not, the truth of what the Bible says about the climax of this world, which is almost certain to happen in the 21st Century, and quite possibly before the end of this decade, is not going to change – regardless of what attitude we personally take! About 9 years after Paul’s discussion with Felix Jerusalem was surrounded by Roman armies, 3 years after that, the historian Josephus says, a million Jews died and Jerusalem was destroyed.  

The whole world is in the same situation today, we cannot know the exact number of years of course, but the message about “coming judgement” – but this time judgement on the whole world – is so meaningful today!  Yet even more meaningful – and vital for you and I – is how Paul “reasoned about righteousness”  We are going to read his reasoning in several of his letters from next Friday, let us take careful and prayerful heed – so that – having developed a real commitment and relationship with the Saviour of the world, we will not be “alarmed.”    

-------

- DC 

10 November 2015

Ezra 5; 6

Hosea 7

Acts 25; 26 

"THE HELP THAT COMES FROM GOD"

The words of Paul in his defence before King Agrippa challenge us to do a good measure of our own heart searching and meditation.  This king is aware of the convictions of belief that were developing as a result of the preaching of the Apostles and others.  Paul makes some challenging points – and also poses questions which are ignored today as our world rushes along having given up any attempt to consider there is a Creator, the one true God who has a divinely appointed destiny for our world – which is fully the result of his wondrous creative power.

Paul asks the king and his audience,  "Why is it thought incredible by any of you that God raises the dead?" [Acts 26:8]  Paul recounts the wonder of his conversion on the road to Damascus blinded by a brilliant light out of which came a voice which said, "'I am Jesus whom you are persecuting." [Acts 26:15]  Paul is told to go to the Gentiles, "to open their eyes, so that they may turn from darkness to light..." [Acts 26:18]  Paul wrote to the Corinthians telling them about “God, who said, "Let light shine out of darkness,"(he)  has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.” [2 Corinthians  4:6]

Paul recounts his work first among the Jews and then – mainly – among the Gentiles. [Acts 26:17] to achieve this work of opening minds to see light instead of darkness.  God's words through Isaiah echo in our minds, “Let him who walks in darkness and has no light trust in the name of the LORD and rely on his God." [isaiah 50:10] This was Paul’s message,  his preaching!  And ours? Let us read the whole of God's word – and encourage others to also do so..

The particular point which arrested our attention and challenged our thinking this morning was Paul's statement to the king, "To this day I have had the help that comes from God ... saying nothing but what the prophets and Moses said would come to pass ..." [Acts 26:22] 

God's word has been wondrously preserved – it also gives us "the help that comes from God." It alone illuminates the meaning of our lives and the reason for the existence of the wonders of this world. Peter summed our situation up perfectly in his final letter, "we have the prophetic word more fully confirmed, to which you will do well to pay attention as to a lamp shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts" [2 Peter 1:19] It will rise in the "hearts" of all those who whole-heartedly believe because they really know God's word and have been seeking "the help that comes from God."  

-------

- DC

11 November 2015

Ezra 7

Hosea 8

Acts 27  

“FOR THEY SOW TO THE WIND”

You may have heard the proverb about ‘sowing to the wind and reaping the whirlwind’. Do you know what it means?  Did you know it comes from the Bible?   

The farmer in ancient times, sowed seed in his field by carrying a basket and scattering the seed around as he walked.  He took care to scatter it as evenly as possible but still some fell in unproductive places as the parable of Jesus tells us; it was very unwise to sow on a windy day [Ecclesiastes 11:4] 

Our reading in Hosea today [Hosea 8] has, “For they sow the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind” [Hosea 8:7]. The spiritual application here is about how we use our life, our intellect, and our energies.  You go to school, college, and some to University; you are “sowing” for your future.  Those who sow so that the wind blows the seed all over the place are increasingly bringing a lot of useless stuff into their minds that will be of no benefit in the future.

The context in Hosea is that Israel, especially the northern ten tribes, had done just that! We read in the very next verse, “Israel is swallowed up; already they are among the nations as a useless people.”  Their essential fault is [Hosea 8:14] that “Israel has forgotten his Maker”.

This is exactly the situation in the world today – they are sowing to “the wind”, believing there is no God, and now they are at their wits end with political whirlwinds swirling around in the Middle East in key areas the Bible’s prophets have been caused to make predictions about.  

We have also the ‘winds’ of nature – with greater and greater extremes – and the impossibility of the powers that exists to set a worldwide policy to combat climate change that all nations are comfortable with. A few years ago they had great hopes for what they might achieve; there was a sense urgency in the air! 

The situations are just as ‘impossible’ – indeed, more so – in the politics of warfare and control in the Middle East, especially just north of God’s Holy land!  Jeremiah, the prophet God sent in the final days of his nation more than 2500 years ago said, “I know O LORD, that the way of man is not in himself, that it is not in man who walks to direct his steps” [Jeremiah 10:23]   How few have learnt the lessons of history!  Let us make sure we do.

Whirlwinds of various kinds fill our world more and more!  Do they affect us?  Only those who direct their minds to the ways of God will know how to direct their steps, especially as the winds increase.  Let us “sow to the wind” – following the guidance of God’s word. Those who don’t do this – will “reap the whirlwind.” 

-------

- DC

12 November 2015

Ezra 8

Hosea 9

Acts 28 

"GO TO THIS PEOPLE AND SAY"

Today we reached the end of the book of ACTS: but first we read Ezra 8 and Hosea 9 – and, as so often happens, we perceived related thoughts in all of today’s chapters. Hosea 9 portrays the attitude of the people before they were taken away into captivity.  He was caused to write (and no doubt tell them) "The days of punishment have come ... he (God) will remember their iniquity; he will punish their sins." [Hosea 9:7,9]

In contrast, Ezra recounts how the faithful journey with him – back from captivity. They were inspired by the example of a man of faith, for Ezra said, "I was ashamed to ask the king for a band of soldiers and horsemen to protect us against the enemy on our way, since we had told the king, "The hand of our God is for good on all who seek him ..." [Ezra 8:22]  

If God inspired a prophet in today's world what kind of message would he be given to convey?  But of course, God's word is available in all languages throughout the world – and how remarkable are the prophecies that those who have a mind to read – can read!  The last words in our chapter in Hosea warned, "My God will reject them because they have not listened to him; they shall be wanderers among the nations."  And so it happened, particularly because they would not listen to his Son.

The book of Acts concludes with an account of Paul reaching Rome and Jews coming to him at his lodging. “From morning till evening he expounded to them, testifying to the kingdom of God and trying to convince them about Jesus ..." [Acts 28:23] The result was, they were "disagreeing among themselves" [Acts 28:25] causing Paul to reflect on what the Holy Spirit had caused Isaiah to write. 

"Go to this people, and say, "You will indeed hear but never understand ... For this people's heart has grown dull, and with their ears they can barely hear, and their eyes they have closed ..." [Acts 28:26-27] 

This is true more than ever today. The Bible is available in every language – but "eyes ... (are) closed" so there is no chance, or very little, that "this people" today, "hear" what God is saying in his word – may our Lord help us to resist these attitudes – which are all around us. Our dedicated daily reading of his word lays the foundation for this resistance, so that the “hand” of God is on us “for good.”  

-------

- DC

13 November 2015

Ezra 9

Hosea 10

Colossians 1 

"THIS MYSTERY, WHICH IS CHRIST IN YOU"

Today we started to read a sequence of Paul’s letters, beginning with the one to the Colossians.  How deeply meaningful are many of the ‘pictures’ that develop in our minds as we read; especially if we meditate deeply on some of the words and phrases he employs.  A foundation ‘picture’ – and probably the most challenging one – is the reality of his point about the “mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory." [Colossians 1:27] 

Paul says this 'mystery' is a 'secret' (a word often used to translate the Greek word here) “hidden for ages and generations but now revealed to his saints." [Colossians 1:26]  Those receiving it are those  "who once were alienated and hostile in mind, doing evil deeds" [Colossians 1:21]   Now they are in an opposite situation and Paul is extremely anxious that they maintain the wonder of their new and wonderful relationship with the divine – indeed, increase it – so that they become more and more like their Saviour in their character.  As a result the whole way in which their individual minds operate really becomes "Christ in you"?  

Can we ‘see’ this?  May it become less and less a "mystery" to us.

The result of our Lord, becoming "the firstborn from the dead" [Colossians 1:18]  was that the Creator caused "in him all the fullness of God … to dwell, and through him to reconcile to himself all things ... making peace by the blood of his cross. " [Colossians 1:19-20] Really profound meditation needs to be developed around these words.  Consider the word "peace" in this context.  Natural human nature separates us from God – in a sense – we are, or have been, at 'war' with him, with all his values: so how passing wonder is this form of “peace.”   

Christ came to bring an end to that 'war' for all those who can develop a genuine relationship with him. This is not something we can fully embrace in our minds on the normal intellectual level.  Look again – and absorb Paul's point in Colossians 1:26-27. "The mystery hidden for ages ... God chose to make known – how great ... are the riches of the glory of this mystery, which is Christ in you" 

Is this literally "Christ in you"? The meaning is surely parallel with Christ being in God! Look ahead to tomorrow's Colossians 3.  Paul tells the believers, "For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God" [Colossians 3:3]  What has died?  The old man, the old woman!  Do we feel our life is now "hidden" – or is this too much of a "mystery"?  Now look on to Colossians 3:16!  "Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God."

May our minds absorb “this mystery” so that "the word of Christ dwell(s) in you (& me) richly” in this way – filling our hearts with "thankfulness" every day. 

-------

- DC

14 November 2015

Ezra 10

Hosea 11

Colossians 2  

"ROOTED AND BUILT UP IN HIM"

Colossians 2 contains some inspiringly positive points from Paul – we need to fully absorb these to spur us on – into becoming more and more like Christ.

Paul tells them that although he is not with them physically, "I am with you in spirit, rejoicing to see your good order and the firmness of your faith ..." [Colossians 2:5] This "firmness" is because they have been "rooted and built up in him and established in the faith ..." [Colossians 2:7]

How vital it is to develop strong spiritual roots – the most essential part of doing this is to read God's word every day – and not just read – but to absorb its’  'spiritual nutrients' into our thought processes. How heart provokingly meaningful are the words of Isaiah, "The Lord GOD has given me the tongue of those who are taught ... Morning by morning he awakens; he awakens my ear to hear... " [isaiah 50:4]  God's 'spiritual nutrients' are absorbed most efficiently at the start of the day. It is good to leave the Bible open at an appropriate passage – so that at the very least – we exercise our minds spiritually, however briefly, as soon as we wake up.

All around us the world ‘feeds’ on non-nutritious material, indeed so much of the 'food' for human minds, is absolute chaff: ponder Luke 3:17.  Its’ destructive effect on human thinking and actions in more evident and extreme than ever. What is also evident is that there is fear of the future: our planet is over-burdened population wise – and is becoming over heated.  We think of the forecast of Jesus that "there will be signs in sun and moon and stars, and on the earth distress of nations in perplexity because of the roaring of the sea and the waves ..." [Luke 21:25] 

It is increasing vital that we are "rooted and built up in him” – especially as those who read their Bibles and see God's plan and purpose, know that before his kingdom is established – our world will experience "distress" and "perplexity." The words he gave to the prophet Zephaniah are utterly awesome! "The sound of the day of the LORD is bitter; the mighty man cries aloud ... a day of distress and anguish ... I will bring distress on mankind, so that they shall walk like the blind, because they have sinned against the LORD" [Zephaniah 1:14,15,17]   

Parallel this with the words of Jesus – in which and in whom we must be "rooted and built up" – so as to endure this time of blindness and "distress". In Matthew 24:21 we read how Jesus forecast, "there will be great tribulation, such as has not been from the beginning of the world until now, no, and never will be" again.

The roots we have developed from God's word – will be fully tested! Have we truly absorbed them to the full to gain the essential spiritual nutrients they alone provide?

-------

- DC

15 November 2015

Nehemiah 1; 2

Hosea 12

Colossians 3; 4  

“PUT AWAY … PUT TO DEATH … PUT ON” 

We speak of criminals who are brought to Court and found guilty as then being “put away” for so many months or years.  Paul uses this phrase “put away” (in the ESV translation) in describing certain things which should be permanently locked up and therefore have no freedom to do any damage, if that does not happen, then they are NOT “put away.”  He tells the Colossians to “put them all away: anger, wrath, malice, slander and obscene talk” [Colossians 3:8] Oh dear, have we got these things all locked up securely in prison? Let us make sure we have.

But there is another list of things that are to be “put to death”! [Colossians 3:5] What are these?  The first item on the list is “sexual immorality”  Oh dear – we are surrounded by a lot more of that than when I was young.  We cannot get rid of that which surrounds us, but we must prevent them from getting inside – and our prevention efforts are not going to work very well if we read books which are fictional stories about ungodly behaviour, watch TV shows that contain this, view DVD's and have close contact in one way or another anything that flaunts such ungodly behaviour.  

The next item on the list is “impurity” which means what?  Well it sounds rather general, the New English Bible  has, “indecency” followed by similar words.

But – as the chapter proceeds, three times Paul uses the phrase “PUT ON”  That’s in Colossians 3:10,12,14. “Put on then as God’s chosen ones” Do you see yourself as one of God’s chosen ones? Do you want to be one of those?  So what do such people aim to “put on”?  

“Compassion, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience … forgiving each other … above (or as well as) all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony” [Colossians 3:12-14] 

So as one bad thing gets put out of the way – into jail – or killed; it needs to be replaced by something good.  We cannot leave empty spaces in our heart!  Well we can – but what happens then? Read the parable of Jesus Luke 11:24-26

-------

- DC 

16 November 2015

Nehemiah 3

Hosea 13

1 Thessalonians 1; 2 

"OPPOSITE HIS OWN HOUSE”

What a lesson in teamwork we have today in Nehemiah 3. Yesterday we read how he was sent to Jerusalem and he secretly – at night – explored the terrible condition of the walls and gates.  Nehemiah 2 concluded with his declaration to the non-Jews opposing his declaration to rebuild its walls "The God of heaven will make us prosper, and we his servants will arise and build ..." [Nehemiah 2:20]

Today's 32 verses in the 3rd chapter goes into interesting detail about the teamwork involved in the rebuilding – which started with "Eliashib the high priest" [Nehemiah 3:1]. As well as rebuilding the walls they needed to rebuild the gates; those who rebuilt "the Fish Gate ... laid its beams and set its doors, its bolts, and its bars." [Nehemiah 3:3]  But there were some "nobles would not stoop to serve their Lord." [Nehemiah 3:5]  But most did, "... goldsmiths repaired .... one of the perfumers ..." [Nehemiah 3:8] "Shallum the son of Hallohesh, ruler of half the district of Jerusalem, repaired, he and his daughters." [Nehemiah 3:12] Most saw the work as a family enterprise!  Surely this is an excellent example for us in serving our Lord today – teamwork.

Another lesson is how "the priests repaired, each one opposite his own house.  After them Zadok the son of Immer repaired opposite his own house." [Nehemiah 3:28-29] Let us not neglect trying to repair the 'spiritual walls' in the areas where we live. It could be said that we are not as good at trying to do this – as in travelling to distant parts.

From these verses we are caused to meditate on the enormous amount of spiritual repair and building that will be needed throughout the world when Jesus returns when it will be necessary to “decide disputes for many peoples” [isaiah 2:4]. In the latter part of Zechariah 8, the prophecy gives as a significant insight into this.  "The inhabitants of one city shall go to another, saying, 'Let us go at once to .... seek the LORD of hosts; I myself am going.'   Many ... shall come to seek the LORD of hosts in Jerusalem ....  Thus says the LORD of hosts: In those days ten men from the nations of every tongue shall take hold of the robe of a Jew, saying, 'Let us go with you, for we have heard that God is with you.'" [Zechariah 8:21-23]

It could be our 'privilege' to have that experience, as 'spiritual Jews' – oh the wonder of serving our Lord in the way and many other ways, throughout his kingdom!   With this vision before us let us "rise up and build" [Nehemiah 2:18] each other's faith – as well as our own (in a sense “opposite our own house”) – so that the walls and gates are strong – for our world is full of enemies, like Nehemiah realized, seeking to undermine and destroy our faith. 

-------

- DC

17 November 2015

Nehemiah 4

Hosea 14

1 Thessalonians 3; 4  

"WHOEVER IS WISE, LET HIM UNDERSTAND”

We have 4 chapters that particularly ‘inspire’ us today and “whoever is wise let him (or her) understand.”  Those words are taken from the last verse in Hosea’s prophecy  and the message in that chapter, which began with the words, “Return, O Israel, to the LORD your God ..."  These words are so appropriate for Israel (& us) today  - for a good number of them have returned - physically - but not yet "to the LORD." 

Hosea 14:2 says, "Take with you words and return to the LORD; say to him, ‘Take away all iniquity ..."  We long to see this happening - openly - and then Hosea 14:4-5 will be fulfilled, the LORD will say, "I will heal their apostasy; I will love them freely, for my anger has turned from them.   I will be like the dew to Israel; he shall blossom ..." 

Israel is blossoming - materially - while all the nations around them are in disarray.  There is some degree of parallel to this in what we are reading in Nehemiah and its description of the dramas associated with the rebuilding of the walls of Jerusalem. We read today of the opposition to what they were doing - just as there was 70 years ago when Israel as a whole was being re-established.  Nehemiah inspires his people, "Do not be afraid of them. Remember the Lord, who is great and awesome ..."   [Nehemiah 4:14] 

There is message here for us also - in a spiritual sense!  Spiritual battles can be more challenging to fight!  Our 'minds' need a 'helmet' for protection more than ever!  Let's memorise Paul's words to the Ephesians, "... take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God" [Ephesians 6:17]  The daily absorption of God's word, keeps that "helmet' firmly in place - and “a sword” - ready for use whenever it is needed. 

Our final chapters today illustrate this wonderfully.  What a wondrous hope and expectation Paul spells out!  Let us not live "as others do who have no hope." [1 Thessalonians 4:13] And what a wondrous hope and expectation of the resurrection the verses which follow spell out! 

Paul tells them (words which surely specially apply to most of us) " Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air ..." [1 Thessalonians 4:17] 

This is immediately followed by Paul's statement " and so we will always be with the Lord."  There are several inspiring prophecies that describe the wonder of this time - of always being “with the Lord”!  Ponder the last verse of Isaiah 35 - and be inspired by it! "And the ransomed of the LORD shall return and come to Zion with singing; everlasting joy shall be upon their heads; they shall obtain gladness and joy, and sorrow and sighing shall flee away."  Finally, ponder again the final appeal in Hosea's prophecy: "“whoever is wise let him (or her) understand.”

-------

- DC

18 November 2015

Nehemiah 5; 6

Joel 1

1 Thessalonians 5  

"BUT YOU ARE NOT IN DARKNESS"

Our world is in spiritual darkness - so awesomely predicted in the words we read as we completed our reading of 1 Thessalonians 5 today. Our thoughts flow on from the 'inspiration' that 1 Thessalonians 4 provided yesterday.  Paul's words have been preserved to make us "fully aware that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night." [1 Thessalonians 5:2]  The next verse tells us it will occur while "people are saying, 'There is peace and security' (but) then sudden destruction will come upon them as labour pains come upon a pregnant woman, and they will not escape."

It is understood that these words indicate there will be a final effort to bring real peace into being - lots of 'talk' about it.  The main focus of such 'peace' will surely be the Middle East - trying to resolve the conflict between Islam and the Jews. But now the ‘conflict’ Islam creates is spreading to many more nations - and the minds of their leaders are in “darkness” as to what action to take to counteract the problem - there seems no hope of any solution. 

But those who really know God's prophecies about the climax of this world, heed the words of Paul we read today.  "But you are not in darkness, brothers, for that day to surprise you like a thief." [1 Thessalonians 5:4]  God's word gives us light - the only source of 'light' in our world of increasing darkness and ever increasing nervousness about the future. So let us read God’s word with ever greater earnestness and "keep awake and be sober ... since we belong to the day” Paul tells us, “having put on the breastplate of faith and love, and for a helmet the hope of salvation." [1 Thessalonians 5:6,8] 

A spiritual 'helmet' protects our minds - the way we think!  It prevents us from getting into a 'panic' mode.  1 Thessalonians 5:9 tells us, "For God has not destined us for wrath, but to obtain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ."  

We are in awe of the "wrath" God will ultimately pour out on our world!  Peter in his final letter was inspired to put God's judgements in perspective, with lessons from history.   "For if God ... did not spare the ancient world, but preserved Noah .... if by turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah to ashes he condemned them to extinction, making them an example of what is going to happen to the ungodly ... then the Lord knows how to rescue the godly from trials ..." [2 Peter 2:5,6,9]

Let us make sure we "are not in darkness" - but have genuine faith so that we will be rescued from the trials our ungodly world deserves more than ever - and which will surely increase - until our Master returns “to cut short the days” or “no human being would be saved.” [Mark 13:20]   

-------

- DC

19 November 2015

Nehemiah 7

Joel 2

2 Thessalonians 1; 2

“THEY REFUSED TO LOVE THE TRUTH”                

We noticed how Paul uses the word “truth” 3 times in 2 Thessalonians 2 – and he uses it 11 times in his letters to Timothy, which we are just about to read.  There is not much “truth” spoken today.  Maybe much of what is said or written cannot be called outright lies, but the tactic of deliberately giving a misleading impression is all too common. 

Paul writes of those who are to perish “because they refused to love the truth and so be saved” [2 Thessalonians 2:10]  We are challenged to understand the character of God when we read in the next 2 verses, “therefore God shall send them a strong delusion, so that they may believe what is false in order that all may be condemned who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness” [2 Thessalonians 2:11-12]

All to many who claim to believe pull a curtain across their minds when it comes to understanding  what the Bible really has to say about the character of God: to simply say ‘God is love’ is to look at just one side of the coin.   Those who have pleasure in unrighteousness cannot really ‘believe’ in God at the same time – which is much more than believing that he exists. . God knows our hearts; we can understand intellectually what is true – but that is a separate thing.  To love that which is true is a function of the heart, of our heart-felt emotions; it is the outworking of a living relationship with God and with His Son.  

Jesus told the Pharisees, "You are those who justify yourselves before men, but God knows your hearts. For what is exalted among men is an abomination in the sight of God.” [Luke 16:15] 

We understand, because Scripture forcefully tells us in several ways, that God is soon going to make his power known to all human beings, and that very dramatically!   Do we “see” in our hearts that God is being “righteous” in doing this?  It is the right thing for God to do, because the world deserves this!

2 Thessalonians 2:13 says we are chosen by God “to be saved through sanctification (holiness) by the spirit and belief in the truth.” When Jesus returns he will “inflict vengeance on all those who do not know God and on those who do not obey the gospel …” [2 Thessalonians 1:8] To “know” God is to have a relationship with Him – just as we “know” each other.  What wonder and joy is to come for those who do! [2 Thessalonians 1:9-12]  And for those who do not?  We “refuse” to let our minds imagine the answer to that question: our chapter tomorrow in Joel is awesome.

Let us all, as Paul told the Ephesians [Ephesians 4:15], live “speaking the truth in love … grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ …”  

-------

- DC

20 November 2015

Nehemiah 8

Joel 3

2 Thessalonians 3

"TO MAKE GREAT REJOICING BECAUSE …"

The records of Ezra and Nehemiah tells us quite dramatically – and inspiringly – of the return from Babylonian captivity and the rebuilding, first of the Temple and then of the walls of Jerusalem.  Today’s chapter, Nehemiah 8, recounts the reading of the Law by Ezra and how “all the people wept as they heard the words of the Law." [Nehemiah 8:9]

The people are taught "this day is holy to our Lord. And do not be grieved, for the joy of the LORD is your strength." [Nehemiah 8:10]  What wonderful emotions stirred the people ... the Levites calmed all the people, saying, 'Be quiet, for this day is holy; do not be grieved.' And all the people went their way to eat and drink and to send portions and to make great rejoicing, because they had understood the words that were declared to them." [Nehemiah 8:11-12]  Let us rejoice more and more as we understand God’s word and it comes ‘alive’ more and more in our minds and we have faith and confidence in our future. 

It is far beyond our imagination to think of the reaction around the world when Jesus returns – and at last the people of the world know, far beyond any doubting, that there is a Creator – and his Son is in control of their destiny – and his word must be obeyed "For out of Zion shall go the law, and the word of the LORD from Jerusalem," as Isaiah records and – further states – "He shall judge between the nations, and shall decide disputes for many peoples." [isaiah 2:3-4] 

But what awesome words are in Isaiah 26:21 "behold, the LORD is coming out from his place to punish the inhabitants of the earth for their iniquity." The world is full of iniquity today!  How much punishment will be needed!?  But after that, consider what we read in Hebrews 8:11, "they shall not teach, each one his neighbour and each one his brother, saying, 'Know the Lord,' for they shall all know me, from the least of them to the greatest." What very "great rejoicing" there will be for those "know the Lord" now – and, in that day, for their faith will be turned to sight.  

But before that day, indeed it could be in the very near future, the events we read today in Joel will surely take place, when "The sun and the moon are darkened, and the stars withdraw their shining.  The LORD roars from Zion, and utters his voice from Jerusalem, and the heavens and the earth quake"  [Joel 3:15-16]

But Joel's next words tell us, "the LORD is a refuge to his people, a stronghold to the people of Israel. 'So you shall know that I am the LORD your God, who dwells in Zion, my holy mountain. And Jerusalem shall be holy" 

Those who love and serve the Lord now, will surely be there, because of his wondrous grace – and be endlessly filled with “great rejoicing” and have eternal lives of wondrous service; lives, as Jesus said, “equal to angels.” [Luke 20:36]

-------

- DC

21 November 2015

Nehemiah 9

Amos 1

1 Timothy 1; 2; 3

“GODLY AND DIGNIFIED IN EVERY WAY”

We live in a world where those in authority are constantly being challenged.  Elections are confrontations that make news headlines; reasoned discussion is at a minimum. Slogans are bandied around.  An earnest and committed Bible believer experiences feelings of dismay.  What attitudes should they take, especially when some specific attitude is expected of them?

Dedicated believers were confronted by a critical problem 150 years ago in the USA by the Civil War; it was a testing time as these pioneers realized they had a higher citizenship.   Paul wrote, “our citizenship is in heaven” [Philippians 3:20]. There is a parallel between a war of swords and a war of words, those who truly believe and fear God can engage in neither.  The “soft answer” [Proverbs 15:1] is rarely practiced today.  Our God and Saviour are the highest authority; we will read next week in Hebrews, that the divine authority functions by “discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart … (and) … no creature is hidden from his sight” [Hebrews 4:12-13].   

Today’s chapters in 1 Timothy contain some valuable principles.  Timothy has been left at Ephesus to help the converts there grow spiritually [1 Timothy 1:3] and the advice in Paul’s letter to him highlights to us that our foremost allegiance is to “the king of the ages, immortal, the only God,” to whom “be honour and glory for ever and ever” [1 Timothy 1:17]. This allegiance results in a different kind of warfare!  Timothy is told to “wage the good warfare, holding faith and a good conscience.” [1 Timothy 1:18-19]  Those who fight in human wars hand over their conscience to their commanders. 

A true believers’ relationship with human authorities is not one of rebelliously campaigning against such authority however justified than might sometimes appear.  History shows that some believers have destroyed their faith and service before God by doing this.  Paul tells Timothy, “First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions and thanksgivings be made for all people, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life, godly and dignified in every way” [1 Timothy 2:1-2]. 

What a challenge this was to Paul in his own life, such was the nature of the opposition he encountered, yet he was “godly and dignified” in all the confrontations that were forced upon him.  It becomes increasingly evident that the true believer cannot in conscience take part, or sides, in the confrontations between factions in elections because he (or she) serves a higher authority.  For those who will, by their Master’s grace, be in a position of exercising remarkable authority in God’s coming kingdom; life now is a valuable period of training. How is your training progressing?  

-------

- DC

22 November 2015

Nehemiah 10

Amos 2

1 Timothy 4; 5

"TRAIN YOURSELF FOR GODLINESS"

Paul’s letter of advice to Timothy whom he calls “my true child in the faith” [1 Timothy 1:2], is a source of much valuable guidance to all those who are sincerely trying to live in a Christ like way in this ever more evil world. Paul reminds him how he has been “trained in the words of the faith” [1 Timothy 4:6] - but training is only the start. Paul continues, “have nothing to do with irreverent silly myths. Rather train yourself for godliness, for … godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life that is to come.” [1 Timothy 4:7,8]

Godliness is not something which happens automatically. Paul draws a comparison with “bodily training” which is of “some value” [1 Timothy 4:8]. How much effort do some put into “bodily training”! Winning is the only reward they aim for! How little attention do some put into training for godliness! When we read God’s word regularly, does godliness follow automatically?

Timothy is a young man who was left at Ephesus to guide the new believers, Paul tells him, “command and teach these things. Let no one despise you for your youth, but set the believers (both men and women) an example in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, in purity.” [1 Timothy 4:11,12] Do you have a Timothy setting you an example in all these different things? 

It is important for those who realize it is their responsibility to set an example to note Paul’s advice to Timothy to “practice these things, devote yourself to them, so that all may see your progress. Keep a close watch on yourself and on the teaching. Persist in this, for by so doing you will save both yourself and your hearers.” [1 Timothy 4:15,16]. Notice the words, train yourself, practice, devote and persist! 

Finally, did you notice how the chapter started? “Now the Spirit expressly says that in later times some will depart from the faith” [1 Timothy 4:1]. Surely we are now living in the ultimate later times. 

-------

- DC  

23 November 2015

Nehemiah 11

Amos 3

1 Timothy 6  

"TAKE HOLD OF THAT WHICH IS TRULY LIFE"

The above is virtually Paul’s concluding message in his first letter to Timothy, whom, at the beginning of his letter he called “my true child in the faith.”  How few today know "that which is truly life" and, as a result of that realization "take hold of" it [1 Timothy 6:19]. 

Reading (and meditating) on God's word daily is an essential part of being able to "take hold of that which is truly life."  Paul's final chapter in his first letter to Timothy, contrasts the things which are not "truly life" with those which are!  Today we are surrounded with things which are not.  

As in those days, so today "the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils." [1 Timothy 6:10] and causes us to lose our vision and grip on that "which is truly life" – and so we see, as in those days "some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs." 

What we should highlight in our minds in today's chapter is the positive advice Paul gives.  After telling Timothy to "flee these things," he writes, " Pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, steadfastness, gentleness." [1 Timothy 6:11] These are the essential ingredients in our character, in our attitude of mind – for they alone enable us to effectively, "fight the good fight of the faith" and as a result "Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called ..." [1 Timothy 6:12]

How many "have been called" yet fail to "take hold of ... eternal life"?  They go through the narrow gate and start on the narrow way – but wander off it because they fail to keep their feet (and their minds) on God's way – an essential foundation to doing this is to read – and then meditate – on God's word every day. All those who do this see Paul's advice to Timothy as being equally for them – the vital need to "guard the deposit entrusted to" us. [1 Timothy 6:20] 

How great is the danger of "the deposit" of truth – and our resultant faith – of slipping from our grasp?  Think of the warning Jesus gave to the believers at Sardis [Revelation 3:2-3] "Wake up, and strengthen what remains ... Remember ...  what you received and heard.  Keep it ... I will come like a thief, and you will not know at what hour I will come ..."  Let us all make sure we have not lost our grip on "that which is truly life" – even more so as that “hour” appears to be ominously close. 

-------

- DC

24 November 2015

Nehemiah 12

Amos 4

2 Timothy 1 

"I AM NOT ASHAMED FOR I KNOW ..."

The people of Jerusalem who were inspired by Nehemiah to rebuild its’ walls developed a greater and greater awareness of God. Today we read how, after the rebuilding is competed, “the Levites” were brought to Jerusalem from “all their places … to celebrate the dedication with gladness, with thanksgivings and with singing”  [Nehemiah 12:27].

Nehemiah “appointed two great choirs that gave thanks” [Nehemiah 12:31] on opposite sections of the walls. Let us try to imagine the spirit of dedication and celebration to come in Jerusalem when – by his grace – we are there to see ‘Zion’ in all its kingdom glory. Oh dear – our ‘imagination’ is over-whelmed!

Our thoughts moved on to embrace Paul's points in his 2nd letter to Timothy in which he spells out the spirit we need to have  developed – as a result of our convictions of belief – despite the fact that today we are surrounded – almost to the point of mental suffocation – by a godless world. If our ‘convictions’ are somewhat less that absolute – does this mean that the world is causing us at least some suffocation?  We have to say, ‘Yes’!

Paul tells Timothy "God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control." [2 Timothy 1:7].  We must reach out and sense that "spirit" and 'embrace' it into the way we think each day – and as a result – we will  "not be ashamed of the testimony about our Lord" [2 Timothy 1:8] which the scriptures provide.  

Indeed we will become the opposite of being "ashamed" – because – with the eye of faith we can agree (from our hearts – not just our minds) – with Paul that "the appearing of our Saviour Christ Jesus, who abolished death … brought life and immortality to light ..." [2 Timothy 1:10]  And that "light" enlightens all our thinking – and – as a result – we live with a sure purpose convinced – with Paul – that Christ "brought life and immortality to light through the gospel ..."  

Paul says "I suffer as I do" as a outcome of my preaching, "But I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed, and I am convinced that he is able to guard until that Day what has been entrusted to me." [2 Timothy 1:12]  

Let us also say as Paul did, "But I am not ashamed, for I know ..." the real and only true meaning and purpose of life.  I believe it with all my heart and "Follow the pattern of the sound words" [2 Timothy 1:13] that Paul and others wrote – and God's divine power caused to be preserved – and I read – and meditate on them – every day. 

-------

- DC

25 November 2015

Nehemiah 13

Amos 5

2 Timothy 2

"REMEMBER ME, O MY GOD"

Today we completed reading the book of Nehemiah. For some reason [Nehemiah 13:6] the Persian King had caused Nehemiah to leave Jerusalem. This happened “in the thirty second year of Artaxerxes (12 years after Nehemiah first came)… and after some time I asked leave of the king and came to Jerusalem, and I then discovered the evil that Eliashib (“the priest” Nehemiah 13:4) had done for Tobiah, in preparing for him a chamber in the courts of the house of God. And I was very angry and threw out all the household furniture of Tobiah …” [Nehemiah 13:6-8]

Nehemiah’s good work was being undone through a failure to obey God’s decrees. They had previously “found written in the book of Moses … that no Ammonite … should ever enter the assembly of God” [Nehemiah 13:1] and Tobiah was an Ammonite [Nehemiah 2:10]. This is a lesson in the need for faithfulness in correctly following what God has decreed. Following this Nehemiah makes the plea, “Remember me, O my God, concerning this, and do not wipe out my good deeds that I have done for the house of my God and for his service.” [Nehemiah 13:14]

Nehemiah then finds they are “profaning the Sabbath day”. Nehemiah warns them [Nehemiah 13:15]. Tyrians, “who lived in the city brought in fish and all kinds of goods and sold them on the Sabbath” [Nehemiah 13:16] Nehemiah “confronts the elders of Judah” [Nehemiah 13:17] over allowing this.

A day of “rest”, which is what the word Sabbath means, has been a valuable practice in human life. When we were young no sport was played on Sunday and none of the shopping centres opened. Sunday was observed as the Christian day of rest; it was the day when Christ rose from the dead. Nehemiah then asks, “Remember this also in my favour, O my God, and spare me according to the greatness of your steadfast love” [Nehemiah 13:22] 

Each generation must learn the true ways of living and believing for God will “remember.” His word abounds with examples of failures, especially among following generations. Paul is anxious at the end his life to train Timothy to carry on his work for the Lord, so that his achievements are not wiped out. We read today his words to Timothy, “Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth.” [2 Timothy 2:15] 

---------

- DC